made up recipes

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: made up recipes
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By la pez on Tuesday, January 6, 2009 - 01:45 am:

for new years i wrote up a page of resolutions. five days later, i've scrapped most of it except for the foody ones: no bagged chips. no unfermented dairy. cook more. no coffee on weekdays.

cook more requires thought. planning. cunning. and a realization that if i'm walking a half-mile to get to the store, cooking food won't take that much longer.

on saturday i walked to the library and the lao market, a mile and a quarter each way. lao market is amazing and i also allowed myself a bowl of pho chay.

on the way home, i got a call from my neighbor about a semi-impromptu potluck dinner party that evening. i waltzed home dreaming of peas and onions in coconut milk.

peas and onions in coconut milk with mint

frozen peas
    pearl onions, halved with outer skins removed
    coconut milk
    mint, minced
    lemon pepper (or perhaps next time, salt and pepper and lemon juice)

saute onions until the edges look burnt. add frozen peas. realize your pan's a bit small but proceed anyway. break up the lumps of peas frozen together and heat through. dump in coconut milk, heat through again. sprinkle with plenty of lemon pepper. transfer to oversized serving dish add mint and mix. let sit for a bit before you eat. also good for breakfast the next day.

what have you been cooking? do you improvise? do you think about eating what we normally decide unpalatable? i am contemplating growing a tea bush and raising crickets.

By droopy on Tuesday, January 6, 2009 - 02:31 pm:

i've lost a lot of interest in cooking, so i rarely make up recipes anymore. but last week i made a big batch of salmon croquettes. i always used cracker crumbs, but i while i saw a "soul food" recipe using flour and cornmeal. then i thought: what if used masa instead of the coarser stuff? croquettes coated with masa and the fried. it's worth a try.

By Danielssss on Tuesday, January 6, 2009 - 06:57 pm:

I am reading a wonderful book on the varieties and recipes of indian culture. Bigger than western europe and having far more languages and cultures within the indian subcontinent...it's amazing to find the differences, including those related to religion and caste.

I learned an important thing so far: use herbs in hot oil first, before adding thickeners like onions or nuts (never use flour as it is bland, tasteless and burns too easily). Herbs added after the thickeners or at the end of cooking have en entirely different strength and flavor from those added to the oil first and stir fried lightly.

Had hard boiled egg, salmon (cajun with pepper and smoked) and bella cheese a good healthy lunch before devouring some (a whole pan) of brownies. Double chocolate chip brownies from the bakery: not good for me.

I rationalized I needed the sugar since my bs was 80 after eating an english muffin with butter and cinnamon sugar on both halves for breakfast hours ago. Gott alet go of the cofee.

Obviously.

I'll be in Tacoma on Thursday and Friday. And coming to Portland area Sept 18.

By Spider on Tuesday, January 6, 2009 - 09:56 pm:

Tonight I made sweet and salty cookies.

Ingredients:

* 1/3 c. coarsely chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
    * 1 c. all-purpose flour
    * 1/2 tsp baking powder
    * 1/4 tsp baking soda
    * 1/2 c. granulated sugar
    * 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
    * 1/4 c. unsalted butter, softened
    * 1 tsp. vanilla extract
    * 1 large egg
    * 1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
    * 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt***
    * Cooking spray

***It must be coarse sea salt. If you use table salt, you will regret it. Do not tempt fate.

Preheat oven to 350°.

(Optional step: place peanuts on a baking sheet and roast for about 8 minutes. Cool.)

Whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda in one bowl.

In another bowl, mix sugars and butter until fluffy. Add vanilla and egg, and mix. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture, and mix until well blended. Stir in peanuts, chocolate chips, and salt.

Drop dough onto baking sheets sprayed with cooking spray, about 2 inches apart. Bake at 350 for 10 min. or until golden brown. Cool.

That said, next time I make these, I'll add more salt and fewer chocolate chips.

By Spider on Tuesday, January 6, 2009 - 10:01 pm:

Also:

For dinner, I took sliced portobello mushrooms and sauteed them in white wine and butter. To this I added slices of roasted red peppers, left over pot roast, and about 2-3 TB goat cheese. Salted to taste, spooned over naan bread. It looked hideous but, goddamn, it was good.

By Spider on Tuesday, January 6, 2009 - 10:11 pm:

Third try's the charm. I didn't answer your questions.

Yep, I improvise. This is why I love cooking and regard baking with trepidation.

Unpalatable? I was raised by the High Priest of Unholy Food Combinations, and I've learned that a lot of seemingly frightening ideas actually taste pretty good, but I try to avoid things that I believe will make me ill (e.g., blending acidic foods and chocolate, or acidic foods and dairy). I don't think about eating what I would deem non-food items (e.g., crickets).

I tend to stick to European foods, and I'd like to branch into other cuisines. I cooked with ginger for the first time a few weeks ago, and now would like to explore the uses of ginger more adventurously.

By la pez on Tuesday, January 6, 2009 - 10:40 pm:

in some areas of the world (south america, africa, asia), crickets and other insects are a treat. it's neat to read about, though i'm not sure if i actually wish to try. i'd be a lot more comfortable eating a cricket than eating a steak and so many insects creep into our food supply already. it's virtually impossible to keep them out.

last night it was fusion. rubens on sprouted rye, with tempeh (instead of beef) and kimchee (instead of sauerkraut). i put more kimchee (chopped) into the dressing, along with sesame oil and cider vinegar in addition to more traditional items. swiss cheese for me, none for the vegans.

yesterday i finished reading extreme cuisine by jerry hopkins, today it was how to cook a wolf by m.f.k. fisher. despite being vege for ten years now, i still read about preparing meat. most vegetarian cookbooks are so focused on that purpose to tell me anything really interesting.

on to alice b. toklas' cookbook.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 7, 2009 - 01:21 am:

kimchee is a living creature.

By droopy on Wednesday, January 7, 2009 - 01:53 am:

i've already gone on record as being pro-entomophagy.

i've heard salma hayek talk about eating roasted crickets on corn tortillas with guacamole. que sabor.

i almost bought a whole pig's head over christmas. they were on sale at the latino market because they're good tamale fillers. but i figured i would probably just end up with most of the head going bad in my refrigerator.

By Danielssss on Wednesday, January 7, 2009 - 05:39 pm:

jesus droop, nothing like bad head. could make head cheese.

By la pez on Wednesday, January 7, 2009 - 07:49 pm:

ooh, crickets with guacamole? that could be good.....

sometime recently i saw a picture of a man with the skin off a pig's head draped over his own. in an old issue of gourmet, i think. it was eerie.

By droopy on Thursday, January 8, 2009 - 02:20 am:

i'll tell you what i am never going to eat again: mixed nuts.

last year i started noticing that i had developed an intolerance to certain kinds of nuts. i think the cashew is the biggest offender, but i started avoiding all tree nuts after i had to leave a party last christmas in pain. they had a big dish of mixed nuts. vomiting and diarrhea ensued.

apparently peanuts don't affect me. my breakfast this morning was trail mix (peanuts, raisins, chocolate) and coffee. i went to my job where i drank some cranberry juice.

when i got home at 8 o'clock i didn't have much food in the house except two boiled eggs and a bag of mixed nuts leftover from this christmas. stupidly, i poured a little of it in my hand and popped it in my mouth. immediately, the first symptom hit. it feels like the soft tissue in my throat gets tight and hard; it feels like shards of the nut are lodged in my throat. then i start feeling sick to my stomach. for the next 3 hours i'm lying in bed in a fetal position and cursing myself. my cat jumped onto the bed and curled up next me, so that was nice.

there's still a little tightness in my throat, but it's mostly gone. i still feel a little sick. no diarrhea...yet.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact