leftover barbeque

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: leftover barbeque
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Sunday, March 1, 2009 - 10:30 pm:

first of all, i'm not into that whole austin as the maui of texas shit. i wish it was full of rednecks and backwater bubba's and people would stop coming there and building more shit.

having said that: i went down to austin for my mother's 66th birthday. it was a 4-day weekend. i saw my sister and neice. i saw some cousins. stayed at the farmhouse. had a close encounter with some coyotes. went over to driftwood for birthday barbeque at the salt lick and then paid a visit to the bharsana dham hindu temple. had a cool poster i recently got framed. drank a lot - one night my mom and i killed two bottles of wine by ourselves.

i rode back to fort worth with my mom. when i was transferring into the passenger seat of my mom's car, she gave me a shove on my butt as way of helping me over to the seat. i banged my head on the outside of the door and then landed on my hand crushing my finger a bit. no big damage, but it hurt. my mother took apart my chair (removed the wheels and folded down the backrest) and put it in the trunk.

the caliche road on our property is in such bad shape that my mother has to drive her honda no faster than 10 miles an hour to keep all the rubble on the road from damaging the undercarriage of the car. i call this trip "the crawl". finally we hit paved road and start heading home. about fifteen minutes into the trip she looks over at me and says:

"did i put your wheels in the trunk?"

"the wheels to my wheelchair? you better have."

"well, i probably did."

"whoa, whoa...no. there's no 'probably' in a situation like this: you're either absolutely sure they're in there or you're not."

"think i should check?"

"please."

she pulls over to the side of the road and goes to the back of the car. i hear her open the trunk and close it again after a few seconds. then she gets back into the car.

she smiles at me. "there not there." she turns the car around and heads back to the farm.

about halfway back she pulls over again and says, "maybe there under the bag of garbage." the gets out again and quickly looks in the trunk. there still not there. we go all the way back to the farm, including "the crawl." when we get back to the farm house, my wheels are lying on the dusty ground, glistening in the sun. she puts them in the trunk.

i told my mom i was going to tell this story to everyone.

to be honest, i'm kind of disappointed that we didn't make it all 175 miles back to fort worth before we found out. it would've made a much better story.

By Antigone on Sunday, March 1, 2009 - 11:12 pm:

Always check for the wheels.

By Danielssss on Monday, March 2, 2009 - 03:19 pm:

how would it have been a better story? I want to know more of why she's carrying garbage in the trunk...

By sarah on Monday, March 2, 2009 - 05:21 pm:

have you ever been to maui?

By droopy on Monday, March 2, 2009 - 06:26 pm:

never been to maui. i don't really understand the comparison at all. but there is one, isn't there? my point was that it worries me when i see all the development that goes on down there and that sooner or later it's going to gobble up our little piece of dust, cactus, and caliche. it's always been my dream that one day i will go down there and erect a quonset hut in a field. i will stock it with enough booze to last me for life - i.e., enough to kill me. i will drink every night out in the stars until i finally keel over and my body is body is devoured by coyotes and picked clean by turkey buzzards.

it'd been a much funnier story, dan, if i'd made it to fort worth only to open the trunk and find my wheelchair was little more than a serviceable deck chair. and perhaps about the same time one of my cousins would happen by the farmhouse, look down at the ground and say, "are those wheelchair wheels."

By Danielssss on Saturday, March 7, 2009 - 05:49 pm:

right. as if the stewardess had been reading sorabji, Southwest's Connie cordially cooed that we were "approaching our final descent into Maui" on Thursday night, when she misspoke and said, "er, that would be Oklahoma City."

I also very much like the idea of the quonset hut and turkey buzzards out under the stars, but I think they are not nocturnal. Well the b uzzards, the stars are questionably nocturnal, as they are present during dayliht but, oh hell... But am not sure of the drinking self to death either, though I tried that for some twenty years. it never did work. I couldn't even get a good dwi or a bad liver out of it. Must have been the vitamins I was on.

I am, as they say, and as those dead drunks before me have proven without a doubt, I am paying for it now, but nonetheless still very much breathing and taking up space.

when I went to retreive the rabbit ears for your cat, they were unresurrect-able into any toy shape or drunken visage of one. So I did not send along to Sarah. However, if you still want me to get some, I think we've got some at the office unused and untangled and perhaps useable as cat toys.

I was west of OKC yesterday morning, just after sunup, further west into the scrub than I had ever been, out in Chickasaw land.. I don't care for that part of OK. I guess the far western region is more to my liking, and certainly the eastern mountains around the joseph river. I taught in OKC with a friend of mine from Dallas.

By emmanuel seyoum on Saturday, March 7, 2009 - 07:17 pm:

a connection between austin and maui? that sounds
    about as reasonable as a connection between
    detroit and madagascar. i don't get it. i don't
    get much these days, so no big surprise there.
    although i have met a bunch of people in portland
    that seem to have connections to both austin and
    hawaii-- so maybe there's something to it after
    all.

"i will drink every night out in the stars until
    i finally keel over and my body is body is
    devoured by coyotes and picked clean by turkey
    buzzards."

that's pretty much my plan.

give me a call if you're ever in the mood for bad
    company.

By sarah on Saturday, March 7, 2009 - 10:02 pm:

swine.

By Randy on Saturday, March 7, 2009 - 10:31 pm:

a pro pos turkey bizzard

By Danielssss on Sunday, March 8, 2009 - 01:46 pm:

But was the leftover barbque the garbage? Or, like some other fine person I know, fills her Honda with all sorts of things to "take to the recyclers when I have time" type of stuff. See new thread" What do you have in your trunk?"

By droopy on Sunday, March 8, 2009 - 02:11 pm:

the leftover bbq was just a memory jog. the garbage in the trunk had to do with the fact that garbage pick-up can't get anywhere near our old farmhouse; so, when we leave, any garbage we generate while there we have to take back to civilization with us.

By Danielssss on Sunday, March 8, 2009 - 05:28 pm:

I know that one. The dumpster at the office gets all of mine that cannot be recycled or reused or given away.

I recall growing up in a house that rarely saw a canned item that was not in a reuseable glass container. When can, tin or steel, began showing up, they were washed, cleaned, flattened. the round ends were used to plug holes in wooden walls in the grainery, or in the cellars. the flattened part became a patch or metal component of a wagon or other farm implement. Everything was used, but I do recall a large amount of burning of refuse, paper in particular, which somehow escaped being burned in fireplaces or stoves. As I grew up, consumerism hit the place and things changed, and then there was garbage pickup...except out in the rural parts where we farmed. There was the family dump, two of them that I know of, for non useable items from bent pipes (which usually went into any concrete in place of rebar) and rotting wood (which usually was cleaned of any nails and then composted), on an originally large section of land (1000's of acres) which got divided into brothers and sisters plots and farms. I recall only a scant knowledge of metal and other stuff in the dumps, glass ware for instance, and the later generations of the family would scavenge these for folksy items..I grew up on a farm that comprised 242 acres, but adjacent my uncles 300 and other relatives' plots ... so it seems much bigger than it was...this for upstate New York. Miniscule size farms compared to the midwest and further west certainly.

By droopy on Monday, March 9, 2009 - 01:29 am:

I can remember the last of the "pioneer" generation to live on the old farmhouse: nina, mattie, and dewitt (whom we called uncle d.). they were all brothers and sisters and even the youngest of them had been born in the 19th century. so even my earliest memories of them were as very old people. the land had long stopped being a working farm. but i do remember that shed next to the house was filled with old tin cans. the only use i'd ever seen them put to was when uncle d. used them to spit tobacco juice in.

By Danielssss on Monday, March 9, 2009 - 11:51 am:

My uncle jim --one of the idenified alcoholics in the family -- chewed, and yes, that was one ultimate and end use of tin cans too. Nice ictures.p

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact