What Should I Eat For Lunch?

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: What Should I Eat For Lunch?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By platypus on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 12:53 pm:

I have been feeling monumentally uninspired in re:food of late, but the fridge is empty, and that means I need to go wander around the store and figure out what to eat, so...any ideas?

By droopy on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 01:42 pm:

cheese toast with worcestershire sauce and a side pickle.

By Dougie on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 03:03 pm:

Canned red salmon, a hard boiled egg, and a side of steamed broccoli. Lemon juice sprinkled liberally over the salmon and broccoli.

By Spider on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 05:32 pm:

For tomorrow's lunch, have my favorite sandwich:

good crusty bread
    sauteed or grilled portobello mushrooms
    goat cheese
    roasted red peppers
    spinach

Now I'm hungry.

By platypus on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 06:33 pm:

That sounds pretty delicious, Spider.

I ended up roasting a chicken. So I guess I will be having chicken salad/chicken soup/etc for lunch over the next few days.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 12:09 am:

pepperoni pizza with corn on side. and dr pepper.

By patrick on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 11:20 am:

cheese and bread platy. in any form. always a winner.

i know how you feel. we've been the same way. nothing sounds good. we're too lazy to be cook anything and going to the store to try and come up with something seems so laborious.

By droopy on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 12:01 pm:

melt slices of sharp cheese on a slice of bread and toast until the cheese is just soft. put a slice of tomato (or several small slices) on the cheese and sprinkle it with basil. finish the toasting. that's my mama's recipe. she fed me a lot of those. with pickles. in texas sometimes we use pickled okra.

i don't have the patience to cook everyday anymore. but i don't have the money to eat out or order in every damn day. lately i've just taken to making a week's worth of food (or near) on sunday and keeping it in the fridge. last sunday it was the salmon patties. (last night i made the mistake of watching a documentary about orcas where they talked about the ravages of commercial salmon farming and the amount of toxins in the food supply.) i think next time i'll make a stew and enough chicken salad for the week.

By platypus on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 12:33 pm:

I'm a huge fan of cheese and bread. In fact, I have some soft cheese in the fridge which is draining right now. Hopefully it will be ready by lunch and I can eat it with the rye bread I picked up at the Beauj.

I recently discovered the tuna melt. Where has that sandwich been all my life?

I do that a lot too, Droop, the making of a large batch of food and eating it over the course of the week. However, I often find that I never want to see it again after several servings. Like, above, I totally lied. The fridge wasn't empty, I just didn't want to see/smell/think about the curried butternut squash soup that has been sitting in there for days, patiently waiting to be eaten. Maybe I should stick it in the freezer.

The really depressing thing is that even when I give up and decide to go out, nothing sounds good to me. I think that might be more a fault of the serious shortage of good/interesting restaurants up here. I certainly never had that problem when I was living in the City.

By agatha on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 12:57 pm:

I don't think tuna should be hot, unless, of course, it's a chunk of tuna steak. I don't know why I feel this way, but it has done a good job of destroying the tuna melt for me. Platy, I have a big vat of spring pea soup with mint that's doing the same thing to me in the fridge. I should just throw it out. Once a leftover portion passes my window of desire to eat, it's all over.

By droopy on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 01:21 pm:

why can't tuna be hot? what about seared tuna steak? what about tuna casserole? what about the band hot tuna? i've always heard that the taboo is that you're not supposed to put cheese on fish. but apparently tuna - the chicken of the sea - is exempt.

By Danielssss on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 02:13 pm:

fish and cheese is fine. lunch today is teriaki chicken bowl. I am lazy about making a lunch to take to work. I eat many doner kabobs at the Bosnian places nearby. I cleaned the science projects out of the fridge last weekend. even the compost pile was left alone by the deer and spquirrels, although a part of the loaf of bread I made in place of cement blocks a few weeks ago remains unscathed.

By patrick on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 04:32 pm:

hot fish cheese sandwich.

a menu item at Astro Diner in LA.

no one i was ever there with, especially after a night of boozing, would ever dare go for it.

By platypus on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 05:42 pm:

I could see how fish and cheese could be good or bad, depending on the fish and the cheese.

By droopy on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 06:19 pm:

if i'm imagining cheese melted over a fish filet, it seems to me that fish - aside from the relatively dense meat of tuna - would be too delicate: either so flakey or so spongey the cheese would just mess things up. and if it was a particularly oily fish, it would probably be disgusting. and try as i might, i can't imagine the taste of cheddar complementing a nice flounder. but i have had fish with parmesan over it; that was all right.

has anyone ever had a fish taco? every so often someone forces one on me. generally, it's made with tilapia. i hate 'em. i think it's the combination of the fish and the corn tortilla; for some reason, it seems unnatural.

By patrick on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 09:37 am:

i dont eat fish, however my woman did make a fish that i stomached and even liked once...

it was a filet of sol (soul?) wrapped around a fist full of light blue cheese and staked together and then quickly seared then broiled for a minute or so. it literally melted in your mouth.

droop as i understand the best fish tacos in LA didnt use corn tortillas but flour. the trick is that the fish must be friend and the sauce....is like a spicy thousand island-y type sauce. anything else is crap

By platypus on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 10:45 am:

Sole.

And I am a big fan of fish tacos, actually, but yes, they need to be constructed very carefully. (I prefer corn tortillas, myself, but I'm open to the idea of flour.) I had some pretty delicious ones the last time I was in Hawaii from some sketchy roadside stand in Maui.

By sarah on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 04:23 pm:

avo and pico with fish tacos. drizzled with creamy cilantro vinaigrette. corn tortillas a must. otherwise it's CRAP.

By droop7y on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 04:57 pm:

maybe if i had one in a restaurant - made by professionals - it would be different.

one of the best fish experiences i've ever had was in mexico: a whole red snapper - head, scales, and tail. i think it was deep fried. i tried to eat one of the eyes, but it was as hard as a marble.

By Danielssss on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 11:38 pm:

fish tacos awesome at Flaco Taco on the campus of St Louis U. those jesuit kids know how to eat. Pico and avo and likely tilapia sometimes grouper i think but the fish is so disguised that I could not make out. I do like flour tortillas better but if blue corn tortillas available, good for fish taco. Burrito with same stuff with cheese, definietly not cheddar, but a white cheese. in StL there's something called provolone which is a bland white cheese mixture used on local pizza, good for fish too. I like a 25$ lb blue cheese or a smokey gouda or a fennel infused (?) gouda on fish too.

By Dougie on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 06:35 pm:

Had an awesome "Italian Stallion" hero at Hero Haven in Shirley, NY.

By jaq on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 09:29 pm:

awesome day for a beach outing..hope you had one, dougie

By Dougie on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 10:13 am:

Yes, was an awesome day. Went boating. Very hot day for April, but the breeze from the ocean kept it very cool.

By patrick on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 03:00 pm:

ditto. company sponsored a day at the lake. first day we broke 90 degrees in the dirty south. first time i've swam in a lake since i was a kid. the day was complete with a couple of kegs, the burger truck, a boat, a waverunner and all the toys that can be pulled behind such watercraft.

eva is completely and ridiculously addicted to wave runners now.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact