black beans, rice, and eggs

sorabji.com: What are you eating?: black beans, rice, and eggs
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 11:54 am:

the pressure cooker is a beautiful thing.

into the pressure cooker - a couple cups of dry black beans, four smashed cloves of garlic, half an onion cut into three pieces, the broken pod and seeds of a dried serrano, oregano. bring to pressure, cook twenty minutes, quickly release pressure.

into a large sauce pan, the other half of the onion, finely diced. sauté in three tablespoons of oil for five minutes or so. add two minced cloves of garlic, a cup and a quarter of long grain brown rice, four or five pounded fennel seeds, salt. sauté for a few minutes, until the occasional rice grain starts to pop.

add two cups of black bean broth and a can of diced tomatoes. bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over low until the rice is done and most of the fluid is absorbed. the last five minutes or so uncovered.

strain the beans and pick out the pieces of onion and garlic.

stir the beans into the rice.

eat for days.

i just ate the last of it, with a fried egg on top.

By droopy on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 04:58 pm:

sounds good. unfortunately, i have little desire to do much cooking anymore. the past week i've been having baked potatoes for dinner. simply because i have potatoes and i don't want them to go to waste. i hate finding forgotten ones hidden in the pantry with that musty/bacterial smell and sprouted runners longer than the tater itself.

i bake the tater for about an hour, take it out of the oven, open it, salt and pepper it, then ram a handful of grated cheese into it. top it with a little worcestershire. put it back in the oven to let the cheese melt. i've been eating with turnip greens on the side.

bought a dozen eggs sunday. yesterday i noticed i hadn't finished my last dozen: 5 eggs. i hard-boiled them. i tried one on them on the spot; the shell was adhered to the white and ripped up the egg as i peeled it. i can't seem to be able to hard-boil a peelable egg anymore, no matter how i prepare it. i used one of the remaining eggs in tuna salad and made egg salad with the rest.

eat for days.

By Spider on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 05:31 pm:

Soak the hard-boiled eggs in cold water for at least 30 seconds after boiling them. The shells will peel off very easily after that.

I too was a bit off my feed lately and nothing seemed appetizing, but then I stumbled upon a Russian cookbook and life has color to it once more.

Last night I made a good and simple Russian chicken dish

Chicken in white wine cream sauce

Ingredients:
    4 TB butter (3 + 1)
    2 c. carrots
    1 medium onion
    2 cloves garlic
    salt
    pepper
    1/4 tsp thyme
    1 TB paprika
    1.5 lb chicken breast
    1/2 c. dry white wine
    1/2 c. chicken stock or broth
    1.5 TB flour
    1.25 c. light cream
    noodles of your choosing

Melt 3 TB butter over medium heat and sautee chopped carrots and onion in the butter for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, and paprika, and sautee for another 5 minutes. Add the chicken breasts and fry until golden. Add the wine and the broth, and sautee for another 15-20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in another pan, make a roux by melting 1 TB butter and whisking in the flour until smooth, then adding the cream. Keep whisking. Turn the heat up and let the mixture come to a boil. Turn it down a bit and whisk until thickened. Blend this cream sauce into the pan with the chicken, etc.

***At this point, the recipe said to turn the heat to low and simmer for *45 minutes*. I was suspicious of this direction, and sure enough, after only about 5-10 minutes of simmering, the sauce began to separate and become greasy. So I'm going to say, blend the cream sauce into the pan with the chicken and serve immediately. Over noodles. Add more salt and pepper if necessary.

I also made an interesting Russian dessert today.

Kovrizhka

2/3 c. sugar
    1 egg, beaten
    2 TB oil (I used sunflower oil)
    2 TB honey
    2/3 c. strong brewed tea (I used chai)
    1 tsp. baking soda into which mix 1/8 tsp. cider vinegar
    1.75 c. flour

Preheat oven to 350. Beat the sugar and the egg together with an electric mixer until white. Add the oil, honey, and tea. (I brewed the tea and then stuck it in the freezer to cool it down for a while, so that it wouldn't cook the egg.) Mix the baking soda and vinegar together, then mix this into the flour. Then mix the flour into the liquid business and blend until smooth. (I added a couple pinches of golden raisins at this point.)

Grease a 9" square baking pan and pour mixture into it. Bake for 30-35 at 350 until it's golden. Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into 16 small squares. Eat.

It's very easy, and very light in flavor.

By Antigone on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 11:42 pm:

droop, a can of ranch style black beans does the trick. All you need is a can opener. The factory is probably a stone's throw from your place, so they're bound to be fresh. :)

By Danielssss on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 12:20 am:

Eating in Albuquerque last night Thai food that was mediocre until I added the crushed red pepper misture, and tonight, an exquisite scallop and shrimp over a bed of cooked fungi at Lucia in the Andalusa Hotel, a wonderful place with great if pricey food. Highly recommended.

By droopy on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 12:40 am:

i'm not even sure that the ranch style beans plant is still open. i remember a couple of years ago the current owner - con-agra foods, bastards from nebraska - were going to stop fort worth production and move it to tennessee. it's practically an historic building, so they might not have.

i live a stone's throw - meaning i could easily roll there in my wheelchair, though it'd be a bitch getting back up the hill - from a purina mills animal feed factory. any good recipe ideas?

i'll try that, spider. i always put my eggs in icewater after cooking them, but i don't leave them for 30 minutes.

By Dougie on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 09:08 am:

My wife made chicken thighs with cow peas last night. Kind of like lentils -- she had a bag of them, soaked them all day, and whipped them up with chicken stock and assorted aromatics. Really good. Nate, no sour cream or avocado chunks as topping for the black beans? Your desert sounds good Spider!

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 12:37 pm:

speaking of russian desert, the other days ago, i went out to the hunting range with my favorite kalashnikov sks-47. after awhile, i drank the kalashnikov vodka, the same person who made the whiskey is the same person who made rifles.....

By heather on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 06:39 pm:

*blink*

By Spider on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 08:22 pm:

Droopy, it's 30 seconds, not minutes. Anyway, keep them in there until they don't feel hot unless you hold them for a while.

By Danielssss on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 08:23 pm:

red beans, rice, green chili soup, vodka, whiskey, and assault rifles.

Saute pork or chicken, add onions, garlic, roasted chilis, chicken stock, add potatos toward the end of cooking. experiment with amounts and timing, but let cook a couple hours I think.

Interesting. add guns and vodka to taste.

Lost my last post on the Ruger 9mm 19 shot clip with ambidextrous safety and a really hammer. Lets you know when there is a round in the chamber. Nice. About $300.

By droopy on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 09:56 pm:

cow peas, dougie? that was my new england side of the family's name for black-eyed peas. which are not very lentil-like.

well, spider - i guess i do soak the eggs in cold water for at least 30 seconds. doesn't seem to help.

there is a settlement of irish travellers near fort worth - in white settlement. a group of them were in the store (where i "work") today. my co-worker lindsay was convinced they were robbing us, but i didn't notice. i don't notice anything.

bought a gallon of vodka on the way home. life is good.

By Antigone on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 10:19 pm:

droop, my daughter loves to eat dry dog food straight from the dish. You don't want my suggestions.

By Danielssss on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 11:09 pm:

better start rationing the vodka, a gallon at a time, only to those who are in need.cow peas are black eyed pease in my irish family. I think there is an asian veggie called cow pease too. I may be mixing my pease. Please. Peas.

DId a kettle of split pea and ham hocks last weekend. God what horrible stuff. I can't get it past my nose.

By Daniels goat on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 11:12 pm:

By Spider on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 11:21 pm:

Droopy, maybe your eggs are too fresh -- wait a week after purchase before boiling them. Or maybe you're just bad at peeling eggs, I don't know.

My dinner was 1/2 cup of edamame and, separately, two slices of deli turkey breast. No appetite today.

By sarah on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 11:34 pm:

my daughter enjoys some dog kibble every now and then as well.

droop, are you buying the organic brown free range hippie eggs? they are always terribly hard to peel. you need to buy the bottom of the barrel 97 cents a dozen large white eggs in the styrofoam container. those eggs always peel so nicely.

can anyone tell me if there is a culinary advantage to using a wood cutting board over a synthetic cutting board?

By blindswine on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 12:07 am:

for years i put salt in the water and only added the eggs until the water was already boiling. how sadly mislead i was.

behold:

perfect hard boiled eggs

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 02:03 am:

sarah, i happen to notice , but didn't wanted to ask a neighbor a rude questions. my neighbor did had a large glass container filled with water? and couple of eggs in the water that being stored in basement. can anyone explain this to me?

By platypus on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 02:30 am:

Sarah my understanding is that plastic (don't know if that's what you mean by synthetic) cutting boards trap bacteria, whereas wood ones tend to resist it more.

My dad just got a snazzy GLASS cutting board and it is pretty awesome.

I keep forgetting to eat until the end of the day and wondering why I feel so ill.

By heather on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 05:31 am:

yes, wood = less bacteria

also fewer plastic shavings for those aggressive choppers

i also heard that older eggs peel better, but i am not going to experiment

dr pepper, pickled eggs?

does someone in this thread know about tubely? (as in, send me an invite) real? a virus? i have the confusion

By blindswine on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 07:36 am:

i don't get the "older eggs" thing.

is that an option?

you say "older eggs" and i think hellboy.

nobody wants that.

By blindswine on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 08:05 am:

tubely is bad marketing. it will invade your e-mail and indiscriminately send invites to people you don't know, people you don't want to talk to and people you may very well fucking hate-- just because they've sent you e-mail in the past. and the invite will look like you actually went out of your way to get in touch with them. it's horrible and embarrassing. i sharpen a shank for anybody involved in that shit, and i don't even have a shank yet. so there you have it-- tubely makes you shanky. SHANKY. it's fucking bullshit and somebody will pay.

cocksuckers.

i'm going to bed.

By patrick on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 10:34 am:

i dont eat anything that smells like farts. hard boiled eggs smell
    like farts.

however people in my house eat farty eggs and at times ive even
    made farty eggs for these people and the trick is to get the egg to
    room temperature BEFORE you boil, as well as after. going from frig
    to boil is your problem.

By Spider on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 11:13 am:

Sarah, if you go with wood, get oak. I can't find it now, but a few weeks ago I read an article comparing the levels of bacteria on different types of wooden cutting boards and the oak board had the fewest, because the tannins in the wood are naturally anti-bacterial.

Also, this article concludes:
    It revealed that those using wooden cutting boards in their home kitchens were less than half as likely as average to contract salmonellosis (odds ratio 0.42, 95% confidence interval 0.22-0.81), those using synthetic (plastic or glass) cutting boards were about twice as likely as average to contract salmonellosis (O.R. 1.99, C.I. 1.03-3.85); and the effect of cleaning the board regularly after preparing meat on it was not statistically significant (O.R. 1.20, C.I. 0.54-2.68). We know of no similar research that has been done anywhere, so we regard it as the best epidemiological evidence available to date that wooden cutting boards are not a hazard to human health, but plastic cutting boards may be.

By Danielssss on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 11:20 am:

Plastic bad for us, wood renewable. Maple has fewer pores than oak but oak may have more tannins in it to protect. Most cutting boards are close grained with little porosity. Oak is very very porous. can harbor bacteria if not cleaned thoroughly. Less of a chance with maple or other closely grainined wod. Maple is also harder than oak to resist cutting into board. Use natural oil to treat (almond or walnut for dark woods) don't use mineral oil. Don't use cooking oils at all for they go rancid.

from the maker of cutting boards.

By sarah on Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 12:56 pm:

the way i bring eggs to room temperature quickly is to run the sink water as long as you need to get it the hottest it will get. fill up a glass. place the eggs in the glass for a few minutes. tap water isn't hot enough to cook the eggs.

the other thing i will do is stick them under my armpits.

just kidding.

maybe.

anyway, i don't use room temperature eggs for boiling because i've not noticed that it makes a bit of difference whether they are cold or room temperature, but i will only use room temperature eggs for baking.

i have so much shit to do today it's unreal.

By droopy on Friday, November 20, 2009 - 01:12 am:

one of these days, i'm going to experiment with all of the different ways of hard-boiling an egg and see which one actually works best.

but i don't think about that now. i've got my vodka.

i pace myself, danielsss. in my way.

got some ornette coleman playing. jamming.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, November 20, 2009 - 02:11 am:

anyone ever experience using the lighter few days after eating the eggs? i had like to hear your input...please??

By Dr Pepper on Friday, November 20, 2009 - 02:12 am:

Nate, a friend of mine fooling around with the pressure cooker, blew up!

By Nate on Friday, November 20, 2009 - 02:19 am:

the pressure cooker is not a sex toy.

By Nate on Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 12:40 am:

IT IS NOT A GODDAMN SEX TOY.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 01:24 am:

what makes you thin that the pressure cooker is a sex toy? no one had said the words; sex...

By Daniels goat on Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 01:03 pm:

Pepper, you take Nate too literally. Besides, why wouldn't a sex toy make a good pressure cooker, and vice versa? Seems if you add chocolate to any inanimate object, especially something as powerful as a pressure cooker, said instrument can be used in erotic ways.

think card table chairs and horney elephants? What do you think?

Or cotton candy and C-batteries? add chocolate and what you got? Vitamins with steriodal components masquerading as sex toys. Even hand knitted ones at that.

Use your imagination!!!

By Danielssss on Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 01:08 pm:

Droop, I missed you post above. Glad you are pacing yourself. been there done that. It didn't work for me, at all.

By on Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 01:27 pm:

I think nate is drunk... excuse me.

By agatha on Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 03:09 pm:

I can't stop laughing.

By Danielssss on Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 06:53 pm:

Where's that goddam goat anyway. I want to make soap this weekend and the goat is not forthcoming with goats' milk.

May be if i put him in the pressure cooker?

By Danielssss on Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 06:59 pm:

Non Sex Toy Green chili Soup

Making it as we speak:

Saute onions and garlic, lots of both in olive oil and somefre4sh oregano, add two frozen chicken breasts, boneless skinless, a bunch of sliced celery, two sliced carrots, one can of tomatoes with green chilis (didn't have fresh on hand -- Goat, pressure cookers and chilis are gone, not even a note). Cook and remove chicken, slice and dice and return, add chicken stock, special Wylers chicken southwest powered bouillon, and cook some more. I think I might add potatoes per the above hotel recipe or maybe a can of white beans, but i like the texture as it is.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 08:21 pm:

I am going to try that to see if this soup is not going to make me feeling horny.....

By Danielssss on Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 09:39 pm:

it is gaurnetted to light your fire.

By sarah on Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 10:23 pm:

i failed to mention that one downside of using the bottom of the barrel eggs for making hard boiled eggs is that they come out easy to peel, yes, but they taste like nothing. nothing at all.

By Nate on Sunday, November 22, 2009 - 11:49 pm:

that's why you pickle them.

i bought a jar of cocktail olives. they are not crisp at all.

i'd been craving martinis. i have a bottle of gin and a bottle of vermouth, both unopened, both old enough that i don't remember when i bought them.

i wandered around the store looking for toothpicks, which i have always had trouble locating. i found the standard martini olives i like, little green ones stuffed with pimento. those are always easy to find; i seem to gravitate towards pickled things. in the aisle with the olives is the pickled okra, pickled green beans, pickled mushrooms, giardiniera. everything is worth picking up and looking at.

i got home and realized i never did find the toothpicks. i ate a couple olives while i was thinking about where i would have toothpicks, if i had toothpicks. i don't have toothpicks. i ate a couple more olives and realized i had been craving olives more than martinis.

the martini taught me to enjoy green olives.

the height of my martini affair was right at the turn of the century. tanqueray introduced its exotically beige labeled malacca gin in 2000. my favorite martini: malacca gin, a splash of vermouth, two olives and an onion. this is not a dry martini, malacca was not a dry gin. martini purists would surely scoff.

tanqueray discontinued malacca gin in 2004. i didn't even notice its fade. i spent a healthy portion of 2003 trying to kill myself with carlo rossi and jim beam, and then i went dry for a considerable period.

i bought onions today, figuring i'd have a little martini. i ate one soft onion, and glanced at the bottles of gin and vermouth. the converse of the churchill martini, perhaps.

pickled onions should be crisp.

i think i will go eat a couple olives.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, November 23, 2009 - 01:32 am:

Nate, they don't make anymore toothpicks. i do recall one time that there was a toothpick that burn my mouth, can't remember the name of the flavor.

By Nate on Monday, November 23, 2009 - 11:54 am:

this is total bullshit. toothpicks are both widely available and mysteriously absent.

deux médecins. dwóch lekarzy. dos médicos. a paradox.

we used to buy cinnamon oil from the pharmacist and soak our toothpicks in that.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, November 23, 2009 - 02:48 pm:

Ah! yes! cinnamon yes, and it is sweet and hot!

By moonit on Monday, November 23, 2009 - 07:43 pm:

mmmm other new zealanders do not seem to have the hot cinnamon obsession that i do; its very sad as it means you can hardly ever get hot cinnamon jelly bellies. We don't get jolly ranchers but one of my friends brought some back from the US for me. mmmmmm

By Spider on Monday, November 23, 2009 - 08:20 pm:

Nate, what would you use the cinnamon toothpicks for?

I wonder, if you baked a cake with them inside, would they impart a faint cinnamon flavor to the batter?

By droopy on Monday, November 23, 2009 - 08:22 pm:

i always keeps me some toothpicks around. unflavored. i remember that my grandfather carried a case full of toothpicks around with him. my grandmother always put a holder full of toothpicks on the dinner table even when there wasn't anything to spear with them. old-timey dental hygiene.

one of these days, i'm going to grab a dozen eggs and experiment with every different way of hard-boiling them to see which one works for me. by the way - i buy whatever eggs are in whatever store, i don't search for any special kind. the problem is simple enough to explain: there is a membrane on the inside of the shell that, during the cooking process, either separates or adheres to the white. the latter is what makes it hard to peel. i don't think things like adding salt or vinegar to the water will help much. getting the eggs to room temp seems more likely to help. the egg will start cooking faster and pull away from the shell membrane. in my theory.

for dinner tonight i thawed out some eggplant patties i had in the freezer. they were soggy. i cooked them on my george forman grill, then put leftover homemade (not by me) tomato sauce over it. it was not very good. but i had wine.

when i finish the wine, i'll have lemon pie for dessert.

By droopy on Monday, November 23, 2009 - 08:25 pm:

by the way: i read somewhere that if you put a hard-to-peel egg in the microwave for 20 seconds, it will make it peelable.

By sarah on Monday, November 23, 2009 - 10:51 pm:

my dad always drove big cadillacs and lincolns, and kept a toothpick tucked in between the ceiling fabric and the piece of plastic that held that fabric in place between the ceiling and the door opening.

i have toothpicks, i know exactly where they are. i use them for baking and for serving olives or cheese. it never seems like using a toothpick actually gets anything out from between my teeth.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 01:26 am:

i am not using the toothpick, unless it has a cinnamon flavor that"burns" in your mouth.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 01:31 am:

oh, i forgot to mention to you guys, when i was young back then, i loved going to the restaurant, when my family was done eating; we usually go over to the counter where the cashier "rings the bell" as i used to play with the toothpick mechanism as it dispense the toothpick.

By Nate on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 11:18 am:

"I wonder, if you baked a cake with them inside, would they impart a faint cinnamon flavor to the batter?"

i'm sure they would, at least local to the toothpick. a faint taste of cinnamon is your only warning that you are about to choke on a sliver of wood. deathtrap cupcakes. bake a cake with toothpicks inside?

we'd just walk around with them clamped in our teeth. we called them timber. "piece of timber?" "sure"

By Danielssss on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 01:50 pm:

toothpicks can be used as tiny skewers for beans and rice, though I wonder why.

However, toothpicks are an accepted and Boy Scout approved device for roasting an egg in its shell over an open fire.

Another such communisitic trick is to fill your morning's grapfruit skin with hamburger or something and stick the whole thing on the coals. Need more than a toothpick to retreive it.

Like Sarah's my father always had FLAT toothpicks available, in shirt pockets, in the car's visor, in his mouth, and in his ear. He would scoop the ear wax out using the flat side of the toothpick. I think he kept the mouth toothpicks separate from the ear toothpicks.

It's 1148 am here and raining, no toothpicks to be found. I should be working.

By moonit on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 03:36 pm:

Spider wouldn't it be easier just to put cinamon in the cake rather than risking impalement by toothpick-cake?

We are gearing up for our work xmas party; I am making my special jelly boats with orange, malibu and tropical jelly.

By droopy on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 04:43 pm:

i can remember my mother making a cake or something that had to be held together with toothpicks during the baking process. she never took the picks out. i remember biting into one and spearing the roof of my mouth, though no blood was drawn.

i used to have friends who were bird hunters give me pheasants and chukars they'd shot. every so often i would eat one that still had some birdshot in it (like a bb) and i'd bite down on it. almost broke a tooth.

By Nate on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 06:32 pm:

eating is rife with danger

By Spider on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 - 09:34 pm:

Fear not, I do not bake with toothpicks; I was just speculating.

For Thanksgiving, I am going to make my pear tart with a twist: Seckel pears and blackberries. I CANNOT WAIT.

By droopy on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 12:27 am:

dinner this evening was two hard-boiled eggs, bread, and some wine.

when i first learned to hard-boil eggs, 30 years ago, i was taught to drop them straight into boiling water. for the past few years i've been cooking them the way all the experts (from books and the web) do it: put the eggs in cold water and bring it to a boil. that was when i started having the unpeelable egg problem. tonight i cooked the eggs like i used to: lower the eggs into boiling water (balanced them on a potato masher), remove from heat and let sit for half an hour. soaked them in icewater for 30 minutes or so. i cracked them and rolled them in the palms of my hands to loosen the shell. they peeled just fine. and they were just the way i like them: firm but the yolk still a little moist.

that might be what i have for thanksgiving.

By Danielssss on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 03:08 pm:

Hey Droopythat's how I do em too. I think a key element is adding eggs to cold water, bring to boil, turn off and let sit in hot for 10 minutes or longer, and then rinse in cold water. When I add cold eggs to hot water they often crack. It is the expansion and contraction, the hot and the cold, that I always figured to do the trick for easy peeling. Also the older eggs peel better. Great advice from the BHG red n white cook book that my moma had, and that I inherited.

I can't believe we all have devoted this much time and effort to discusssing the peeling o hard boiled eggs. Perhaps I need more work. Hope you have a good thanksgiving..that goes for all of you fans out there. Tarkis too.

By Nate on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 03:39 pm:

i find the easiest way to peel a hard boiled egg is to tap it on a table, and then roll it under the palm of my hand until the shell is so thoroughly cracked that that there is no whole piece larger than a crumb of bread.

methods be damned.

though i do put eggs into cold water, bring to a boil, and then let sit for 10 minutes, and then flush with cold water. my thought is that i picked this up from jacques pépin, but who knows.

jacques knows. where are you jacques? i love you jacques.

i use a heavy pan. le creuset. i imagine the water stays warmer, and the transition to boil is more gradual than with a thinner or more conductive pot.

By sarah on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 04:57 pm:

have i ever posted my recipe for cranberry sauce?

1 1/2 cup water
    1 2/3 cup sugar
    3 generous cups cranberries
    1 orange
    1 tsp ground ginger
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground cardamom

dissolve sugar in 1 cup water over medium heat. add cranberries and bring to a boil. lower heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes, uncovered for another 10 minutes.

while it's simmering, zest the orange and go ahead and add that in whenever. peel and chop up the orange. after the 20 minutes of simmering, add the remaining 1/2 cups water, chopped orange, and spices.

simmer for another 20 minutes on low heat uncovered, stirring every 5 minutes or so.

pour it into a pretty bowl with ridges in it or something, then cool on the counter, then chill in the fridge.

to serve, turn the bowl upside down on a plate. the cranberry sauce should be firm. i like to put a few ribbons of orange peel on the top to make it pretty.

By Nate on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 05:04 pm:

woah, no gelatin? it is firm without gelatin?

crazy.

By platypus on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 08:29 pm:

Cranberries are very high in pectin, they usually set up on their own!

I like poached eggs.

By droopy on Wednesday, November 25, 2009 - 09:40 pm:

i likes poached eggs, tambien. but sometimes it's nice to have eggs in a shell. i found the method what works for me, and i'm stickin' to it.

i don't do thanksgiving. so i don't need to do cranberry sauce.

By Nate on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 04:10 pm:

By Spider on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 10:29 pm:

The button on my pants burst as I was getting into the car on my way home.

By droopy on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 01:05 am:

sexy.

By Spiderpig on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 12:02 pm:

I consumed:

Appetizer
    *baked brie with cognac and dried fruit on toast points
    *hot apple cider (2 servings)

Dinner
    *arugula salad with orange slices, cranberries, and walnuts
    *turkey with gravy
    *sweet potato pudding
    *wild rice with cranberries
    *corn bread stuffing
    *green beans with bacon
    *biscuit with butter and honey

Dessert
    *PEAR AND BLACKBERRY TART OH YES
    *apple crumble (also made by me)
    *bourbon pumpkin pie
    *Grandma's cheesecake (sans Grandma)

I had small portions of each item but good heavens.

By platypus on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 12:45 am:

I consumed:

Yesterday:

Turkey, huckleberry sauce, sweet potatoes, bacon wrapped broccoli, stuffing, REALLY BAD PIE, pretty good cake.

Today:

Turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy (I finally *get* gravy...so good!), sweet potato salad w/chutney, pumpkin pie.

By Danielssss on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 12:45 pm:

wed: pre turkey turkey, two bean burritos, one chulupa, and one soft taco.

Thur" turkey, dressing, gravy, cranberry, sweet potato, mashed potato, misc carbs in chips and dip, andes mint chocolate pie in moderate quantity

Fri post turkey turkey, lettuc and pumpernickel, more chips, more dip, more turkey, threw the dressing out, avoiding potato and sweet potato, two eggs, bacon, smoled gouda, toast, not necessarily in that order

today cinnamon crunch bagel and walnut cream cheese in somewhat massive disproportionate quantities, real red coke right from the can

too porked on turkey to type, and coffee coffee coffee coffee

making soap and typing all day. goat is still missing.

By droopy on Saturday, November 28, 2009 - 08:26 pm:

thanksgiving: tilapia, mashed taters.

friday: chicken, mashed taters.

today: chicken, rice.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 03:08 pm:

thanksgiving: turkey, stuffed bread, corn, potato,

friday: had some white castle for lunch, then at afternoon had a pizza from casey quick mart, then at dinner, we had a leftover from thanksgiving.

saturday, we had pizza from pizza hut express at the strain station before my daughter and her boyfriend left for tennessee.

sunday: not yet...it is 1:00 pm. :-)

By moonit on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 04:34 pm:

mmm coke from a can. so much better than coke from a plastic bottle.

By Danielssss on Sunday, November 29, 2009 - 06:27 pm:

sooo much better yes.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 12:30 am:

moonit. what about coke from glass(bottle)?

By Danielssss on Saturday, December 5, 2009 - 12:41 pm:

Pepper, what about coke on a mirror?

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, December 5, 2009 - 02:45 pm:

Danielssss, I don't do drugs!! you @!

By Danielsweathergoat on Sunday, December 6, 2009 - 03:40 pm:

coca cola is very good at removing road tar and bugs. I don't do drugs either. No one here does. I don't even drink, at least not for 22 years or so. Nor are we members of a conspiracy or a supremecists' group.

there is SOMETHING about coke from a can that just thrills the caffeine receptors in my brain though.

Sarah, hope the little one is doing better. cold as Houston here. The meterologist at the space station said, "Houston, we have a problem." "it's looking like snow there and rain in Rockefeller Square."

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, December 6, 2009 - 04:24 pm:

Danielssss, why did you mentioned a short sentence above, "Pepper, what about coke on a mirror?" that you posted on Sat Dec 5 at 12:41 pm:? Huh? I rather drink caffine free coke...

By Tarkis on Monday, December 7, 2009 - 11:09 am:

there is nothing like the coke that came in the green glass bottles years ago. I don't think they do that anymore.

By sarah on Monday, December 7, 2009 - 12:44 pm:

they do do that, in Mexico. the glass isn't green, it's clear, but the coke is the same formula - they use sugar instead of hfcs.

By J on Monday, December 7, 2009 - 01:15 pm:

Costco use to carry Mexican coke,I haven't checked lately I heard on the news that they were having some kind of dispute with coke.

By Spider on Monday, December 7, 2009 - 02:34 pm:

Wegman's carries it (I don't know if that's a national chain or just here in the Northeast). It's very rich -- half a bottle makes me feel stuffed.

But then, I'm drinking diet Canada Dry right now, and that's basically carbonated air. No flavor.

By Danielssss on Monday, December 7, 2009 - 04:05 pm:

the bosnian restaurants here carry coca cola in the 8 ounce bottle and it is power packed. La Tienda, the mexican convenience store where you can get anything you want, across from my office also has it...wild stuff that sugar. So the difference is sugar vs hfcs??? didn't know that.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, December 8, 2009 - 02:16 am:

mexican coca cola? Mexican coca cola in america? does it violates the NAFTA policy??

By semillama on Tuesday, December 8, 2009 - 09:50 am:

Why would it?

The reason for me that pop made with sugar tastes better than with HFCS is the whole syrup part of the latter. I'm not certain the actual taste is all that different, but the mouth feel of the soda is completely different. It's one reason I drink diet sodas - I cannot stand the feel of pop with HFCS in my mouth. Feels like it's coating my teeth with syrup.

By patrick on Tuesday, December 8, 2009 - 10:35 am:

have you have stopped to see how much fucking hfcs is in
    everything we eat? its obscene. now wonder there's a diabetes
    epidemic.

hfcs, the new dietary whipping boy.

see diet soda's for me have that flatness bitterness that i
    associate with fake sugars like aspertame or whatever its called.

just give me real sugar and if need be in small doses.

By J on Tuesday, December 8, 2009 - 02:35 pm:

We just discovered this place
    http://www.popsoda.com/
    been there twice and we've found some sassy sodas.
    I'm drinking a Dr. Tima Honey Blood Orange right now,it says it has a bee in every bottle.
    They have Dublin Dr.Pepper
    8oz Longneck ACL Bottle From the Oldest Dr Pepper bottler in the World and the last in the US to use Imperial Pure Cane Sugar. A must for Dr Pepper Fans.
    They have Blenheim Ginger Ale,one with jalapenos,one with habaneros,they really clear the sinuses.

By Dougie on Tuesday, December 8, 2009 - 04:13 pm:

Anybody remember the Whistle Stop Pop Shop? There was one in Columbus, and I think a few others across the midwest, maybe Detroit.

By Spider on Tuesday, December 8, 2009 - 05:52 pm:

Have any of you ever had Fernet-Branca? My father just made me try some -- it is...intense.

I can see why people used to think it could cure cholera -- it tastes like a medicine cabinet. Like an herbal Vicks Vaporub blended with iodine. Ghastly stuff.

J, that website is giving me ideas for Christmas. If only they had Nehi sodas in stock. :(

By Danielssss on Tuesday, December 8, 2009 - 06:07 pm:

rather than a candy exchange, a sodie pop exchange???

By agatha on Wednesday, December 9, 2009 - 12:59 am:

Candy and sodie pop! And cookies!

By wisper on Wednesday, December 9, 2009 - 06:01 am:

Pepsi released a real sugar, non-hfcs version called "Pepsi Throwback". I spent waaaay too much time trying to find it while i was in NJ this summer, but i finally did and i still have one bottle left. It's really delightful, the lack of after taste.

....Oh yeah, i was in New Jersey for a while this summer. And Philly. Forgot to mention that here.
    Well, there ya go.

By patrick on Wednesday, December 9, 2009 - 02:08 pm:

I had the Pepsi throwback here, being that we are in pepsi
    country it was still hard to find which is retarded. it was good.
    really good. the problem was, they made a limited amount and
    at the local grocer, it wasnt even put on the shelves, you had to
    ask for it. fucking stupid.

the problem with hfcs is the cost. they wont change until the
    consumer does and consumers suck so were all fucked.

one thing to consider.....
    soda pop presents unique shipping circumstances.

as someone who regularly receives beer in the mail as "yeast
    samples" more than once have they shown up shattered and a
    general fucking mess.

By Danielssss on Wednesday, December 9, 2009 - 02:15 pm:

aye matey shipping sodee pop tis hazardous at best. and the post office (read PO, or pissed off) elephants will in fact trample any good cookies sent too.

What if we just send money instead? Or send some sugar, not hfcs, and we each can make our own confections, cookies, or sugar based soddee pops...

where are we on this exchange anyway? does sarah know? tell us please. Instructions??

By sarah on Wednesday, December 9, 2009 - 03:38 pm:

i'll post something soon.

By moonit on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 04:53 am:

I just made alcoholic jellies. I wish I could send you all some. My flavours are fucking wicked. There is no boring vodka jelly in my masterpieces.

They are so good Andrew's dad loves em.

Jelly, not just for kids !

By Danielssss on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 02:58 pm:

you go Moonie!! recipes?

By moonit on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 08:43 pm:

By moonit on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 08:44 pm:

I also made tropical and malibu so its like a cocktail, they're my crowd favourites. Everyone begs me to bring them to summer bbq's :)

By Dr Pepper on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 01:26 am:

moonit, you said "summer"? it is winter time up there!

By moonit on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 08:26 am:

Dude. Other side of the planet = opposite weather.

By Jesus holmes on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 10:57 pm:

yeah dude fuck your mother.

By heather on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 02:49 pm:

coke has different recipes for many regions, not just sugar/hfcs.

i found a recipe for cola that i really want to try but it's complicated with strange ingredients.

i just got back from 5 days of silence.

hey daniel, sorry i haven't written you back. i suck at email especially when i'm not sitting at a desk.

By - - on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 09:12 pm:

5 days of silence=jail times... tsk.

By heather on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 10:15 pm:

'twould be self-imposed jail to some i suppose

==freedom to me

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 05:01 pm:

hi heather, long time no hear from you :-)

By Danielssss on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 03:58 pm:

no worry, enjoy the freedom of no keyboard, no care, no mind, no noise...

By sarah on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 04:10 pm:

i would love to go on a silent retreat.

how was it?

were there difficult moments?

were you alone most of the time?

i'd love to know more about your experience.

By heather on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 06:39 pm:

silent retreat

it was quiet, cold, warm, crowded, windy, rainy, sit-ty, silly, moving, freaking hilarious, batshit insane, slow, reflective, expansive

it was difficult that my grandmother died on the second to last day and i was not supposed to talk about it. 200 minutes of meditation a day can be hard, also the opposite of hard, also tiring, also invigorating. i could have used some silent yoga.

most of the time i was in a room with 350 people.

explaining much of my experience would be difficult i think, especially depending on one's beliefs. people are loony and sweet and incorrigible. some people (not really me) have supernatural patience and kindness. people not allowed to talk + not having to choose your food, is an environment i appreciate vastly.

questions?

By Danielssss on Monday, December 14, 2009 - 10:14 pm:

sorry to hear of your loss. sounds like you were where you needed to be. good for you.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 01:17 pm:

I had rather spend my time in cabin away from civilization. so , I can enjoy my silent time.

By sarah on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 04:06 pm:

sorry about your Grandmother's death. this is the Grandmother that lived in Detroit?

By patrick on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 04:07 pm:

was a memo sent out ahead of time? so people understood that
    you weren't ignoring them?

where exactly is this place? am I missing some obvious reference?

By Danielssss on Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 11:24 pm:

sorabji is in new york, but new york is really a figment of newark and newark used to be the center of the universe

wheredjyagoonretreatheather?

in the woods
    my cabin
    rests in the cold

retreat everyday
    mindful
    mind empty
    mindless

By heather on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 09:44 am:

yes, grandmother in detroit. i am there right now.

retreat was near monterey.

everyone who needed to know knew we wouldn't talk, other people were few and i have no idea what they thought.

By Danielssss on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 03:34 pm:

monterey ca?

I will be hosting a men's recovery retreat sometime this winter/spring, but not at the retreat center where I live. Just now beginning to plan it.

So far the first six months of 2010 look like:

Jan 15 --2 Anna Maria Island FL
    Feb 11-12 St Louis MO
    Mar 5 Oklahoma City OK
    Mar 16-19 Sheyboygan WI
    Apr 14 St Louis MO
    Apr 20-23 Seattle WA
    Apr 23-25 Berkeley CA
    Jun 9-12 Portland OR
    Jun 25 Detroit MI

Everyone who needs to know -- and you are they -- can plan to catch up with me in those places. Would like that despite a tight speaking schedule.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 01:22 am:

A friend went on a retreat on black mesa mountain near kenton,okla. it is not much of ppl there.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact