artsy-fartsy

sorabji.com: Do you have any regrets?: artsy-fartsy
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Pink Eye on Friday, January 29, 1999 - 04:50 am:

I do regret letting my art talent slide during these past 10+ years. Now, it's a burden to work on something and the pieces are few and VERY far between. I used to get great satisfaction from drawing, painting and what-not--even when nobody sees my work. Now I start something, label it "too damn hard to do" and end it rather quickly with no results. Maybe I've lost my confidence and the zeal. And it kills me to hear people say, "You should get back into art." I can't, there's a freakin' wall built up between me and the art supplies. I don't know what I can do to topple that fucker.

Started at Millikin University working on a degree in Art Management.

Ended at Madison Area Technical College with a degree of Medical Laboratory Technician.

Explain that transformation..........................

By Ghost on Friday, January 29, 1999 - 12:35 pm:

Hey there,
    You seem to have lost the creative passion that is necessary in art. Some circumstances in your life must be hammering the artistic mind down.
    I tried several times in my life to be an artist or musician, but I do not have the gift that only a true artist and musician have. It has to come from the inside out not the outside in.
    If you have this gift, you should really spend time to find out why it is not being put to use.
    Art and music make the world a better place and also allow people to convey ideas and emotions in an elegant way.
    Usually we are only able to do this in dialogues in very defined frames of reference, that have many rules on protocols and language use.
    Art and music transcend this and can be appreciated by many in a single instant, on a lower conscious level.
    Dig down and bring this artistic instinct up.
    And always remember, anything worth doing is difficult. Only children and sloths pick the easy tasks to confront. Fulfill your destiny.

By Spengler on Friday, January 29, 1999 - 12:44 pm:

or: just do it.

By Crimson Eye on Friday, January 29, 1999 - 11:40 pm:

Easier said than done. I know what my biggest problem is: I'm a god damn perfectionist. And that, my friends, is the biggest killjoy of all. Mom told me stories about my formative years. She told me about times when I'd draw or make whatever, at the ages of 6 on up. Even at that age, if something I was working on didn't turn out I'd pitch a hissy fit and throw it away. She recovered most of what I disposed of...bless her. Now, when I look back, I'm grateful she did. She saved a very important part of my youth that could have been lost. Another reason why I loathe getting back into the swing is friends have always wanted me to do little projects for them. Draw this or make that. I relished the fact that they wanted ME to do those things, but after so many years, I started denying them. A thick skin developed--artistically speaking( of course:) ). Just last week, a gal at work wanted me to draw a simple pattern for her. ( I should have never shown my portfolio at work ) I obliged, but was hoping she would forget about it. Is that insensitive of me? Be it as it may, I'm still confused on how to release the "art demons" that have been plaguing me for years. You may be very right Ghost. I'll have to start on the inside.

By R.C. on Saturday, January 30, 1999 - 01:54 am:

Pink -- don't do art on demand. Don't try to be 'nice' becuz you're 'flattered' someone asked you to create something for them. That shit is a black hole. Just do it for you.

Whether it's 3:00am & you're drunk & suddenly inspired by the skyline outside yr window/or you're stuck in a meeting a bored as hell & start
    doodling in the margins/just draw! Don't worry abt how good it is/or what others will think. Once you've got a pile of half-finished sketches on yr desk at home /& you start to really see the talent you've neglected for so long/you'll get inspired to jump back into the flow & start creating on a regular basis. Trust me on this. Creating is like excercising -- the more you do it/the more you want to do it. For the satisfaction & the buzz you get afterwards.

It's Saturday -- when you wake up/go to yr nearest art supply store/buy yrself a sketch pad & some pencils & charcoal or whatever/& keep them around the house. And a smaller pad you can carry w/you. And just draw when the impulse hits you.

I wd never write a single word if I cd draw worth a damn!

By Pink Eye on Saturday, January 30, 1999 - 03:09 am:

I used to do that, keep a medium-sized pad around the house...by my trusty chair. Just for an occasion that an inspiration might hit me. Sometimes I'd draw images that appeared to me from the textured walls inside my small apt in Iowa. Holy shit! I used to live in Iowa. Maybe that's my problem, living in Iowa some 10 years ago. I feel the sudden urge to draw swine, no, not you Swine.

Just to clear up, I was not hallucinating when drawing images from my walls. May have been stoned, but sane:)

By Pink Eye on Saturday, January 30, 1999 - 03:14 am:

By the way, I feel really shitty. I have a talent, judge ye who see it, and I have thought of it as a cancer. A piece of me that I want to get rid of. Isn't that sad? Some would kill for it and I abominate it. It's tragic. *sigh*

By Bagsoddingpuss on Saturday, January 30, 1999 - 08:37 am:

It's yours to waste. Do with it what you want.

By Pink Eye on Saturday, January 30, 1999 - 09:31 am:

That may have been the MOST proliferate statement yet. You could be right, why do I have to please the masses???

By Naturegail on Saturday, January 30, 1999 - 09:46 am:

How important is marriage?

By Pink Eye on Saturday, January 30, 1999 - 09:57 am:

What the hell does marriage have to do with this?

By Naturegail on Saturday, January 30, 1999 - 10:00 am:

sorry-meant to open a new message

By Cyst on Saturday, January 30, 1999 - 12:43 pm:

less important than art.

By Ghost on Saturday, January 30, 1999 - 01:30 pm:

Yes, it's your talent to do what you want with Pink Eye, but think of the way you could raise someone else's spirit through your art. When I see art or hear music that speaks to me, I am very grateful that the artist decided to share the message because I could never express it as elegantly. I would have to resort to language which much more a base form of communication than any art, which exists in the realm of ideas.
    The only "art" I can do myself requires a camera and although you can capture emotion in this way, it is still an external process.
    People who bother you to draw this, or draw that, should be given the same consideration they show you: a doodle on a napkin at best. But when draw something for them because you feel like it, then your creativity comes to life.
    It sounds like you do art at work. Maybe it shouldn't be your way of making a living. Sometimes we think that what we love should translate into employment, but it doesn't always work that way; both for what you love to do and for your employment.
    Good Luck and I hope to find out someday that you have chosen to make our world a bit brighter rather than keeping it shut up and brooding over it.
    Later,
    The Ghost

By Bagpuss mood darkening on Saturday, January 30, 1999 - 02:31 pm:

Fuck that!

Pink Eye, make the most beautiful art in existence and set fire to it if you want. It's up to you.

I have no creative skill whatsoever, yet I would never presume to tell someone else to use their talent in any way but how they wanted to.

Save yourself kill them all.

By Guess Who on Saturday, January 30, 1999 - 02:45 pm:

You are nothing but a selfish bastard, Bagpuss-y, Fuck you and the bullshit you call a life. Do everyone around a favor and set fire to yourself, any asshole that gives advice like yours should either be on a desert island with like-minded selfish assholes fighting for the last coconut or should stay home jerking off all day in the dark wishing they were actual human beings.
    FUCK YOU.
    Good Fuckin riddance

By Agatha on Saturday, January 30, 1999 - 03:06 pm:

guess who is an asshole? can you guess?

By Bagpuss RIP on Saturday, January 30, 1999 - 03:43 pm:

[crackling of flaming apparel]

"Ow! This is hot."

[acrid stench of burning flesh]

"Arrgghhhh this was shit advice"

[dull roar of a fiery death]

"perhaps I should have just wanked in the dark"

By R.C. on Saturday, January 30, 1999 - 04:06 pm:

....too crazy. The lot of you.

But really Pink -- get yrself a sketch pad TODAY & get to drawing!

By Chordata on Saturday, January 30, 1999 - 06:11 pm:

you could get really stoned and draw on the walls again. i vote for that.

i actually keep a little sketch pad and a charcoal and some little tiny cray-pas pastels on my desk and just doodle fun shit that sometimes i so absorbing that i sit down and turn it into a real project.

By Pink Eye on Saturday, January 30, 1999 - 11:21 pm:

I'd rather just get stoned and look at the sketch pad...god...I haven't been stoned since July.

By Agatha on Sunday, January 31, 1999 - 03:02 pm:

i have a lot to say on this subject, but i haven't had the time to put my thoughts into words. i consider myself to be an artist, but i define that more loosely than i think most do. i had some serious artistic block for about five years, starting right around the time that i was pregnant with my daughter. what should have been a productive time for me, given my newfound source of inspiration, simply was not. i was tired all the time, and my motivation was shot. i spent a lot of time, more than i care to admit, lamenting and agonizing over my artistic lethargy. i was still getting ideas, i just wasn't acting on them. it was horrible. i felt like such a loser, because i had identified myself with art for so long that i didn't know who i was anymore. having a child gave me some sense of purpose, but it wasn't enough.

finally, this summer, i went through this month long catharsis where i wrestled with the idea that maybe i wasn't an artist, maybe i just liked to do art sometimes. that it was okay to appreciate art and maybe have an arts related career without actually feeling pressured to produce art. that i didn't need to identify myself with anything in particular. slowly, i gave up on the idea that i would ever be an artist in the traditional sense of the word. it was really difficult for me. so, suddenly i wasn't an artist anymore. i had been thinking of myself in those terms for roundabout twenty years. it was very strange. oddly enough, once i got used to the idea, it was a very freeing feeling. the nagging in the back of my head dissappeared.

something very strange began to happen in the fall when i went back to school. i began to produce more artwork than i had in years. i wasn't agonizing over it as much, i was simply enjoying the process of it all. it became much easier to do. it was very strange.

another source of inspiration was my daughter. she has no issues whatsoever with her art. she draws and paints all the time, and enjoys it for the pleasure it gives her. she does not criticize her work, she just does it. i don't even think i am explaining it properly. however, at this point, i feel like i will continue to produce art at a pace i am comfortable with, for my own enjoyment. maybe i will have some shows, maybe not. for some reason, it's not really important to me anymore. does this make any sense to you, pink eye? if it does, i hope the philosophy i have adopted will help you along in your goals. maybe just sign up for an evening art class, and go. don't make yourself crazy over it. and good luck. it's really a horrible feeling that you are going through. i hope you work it out.

ps, you don't have to be able to draw to make art. drawing is just one aspect of creating art, and not neccessarily the most important one. try some other mediums that you are unfamiliar with, to see if maybe they spark a new interest in you. i am taking metalworking right now, and it's a blast. printmaking is fun, too, because you can get involved with the process without agonizing over the subject matter quite so much. good luck.

By Pink Eye on Sunday, January 31, 1999 - 03:44 pm:

I have taken your words to heart *smile*

By Spiracle on Monday, February 1, 1999 - 01:18 am:

there is something to the title 'artist' that bothers me..i don't know why..even those who make a living off what they produce..the few bastards..let alone the sunday doodler..
    the 'title' is just covered in all sorts of attitude and silliness..more silliness than anything..

and..what is art anyway..
    and until we define that..and no one has
    accept the one who said 'it's everything or nothing' then we can't define the artists..
    the artists are either everyone or no one..
    so i don't know if you can possibly 'choose'
    to be..you can only be really good or really bad at it..

By Agatha on Monday, February 1, 1999 - 03:15 am:

let's not forget those of us that are in between those two categories...

regardless, spiracle, i am fairly sure that our points run parallel to each other.

my definition of an artist is somebody that makes something that they perceive as art. it's when other folk's definitions start to come into play that things start to get complicated. hell, those art critics have to make a living somehow.

speaking of which, i'm writing a paper right now comparing a classical flemish woman painter with two baroque woman painters. wish i had started earlier. my damn back is getting sore, and i'm still only on Caterina van Hemessen. damn.

By Bagpuss on Monday, February 1, 1999 - 06:13 pm:

I know what art is.

The KLF burned a million pounds and the burned the film of them burning a million pounds.

Lovely.

By Semillama on Monday, February 1, 1999 - 06:43 pm:

Hey Pink Eye,
    perhaps the problem is that in other aspects of your life you are stuck doing uncreative things, like at work, and this miasma of uncreativity has seeped into your personal life. I think that happened to me once. I haven't done a whole lot of visual art in the last few years, but started doing some odd collage work once I got back into school and was creative in other aspects of my life again. My musical output also increased.
    So maybe the source is inside, yet is stifled from the outside.

By Alyssa on Monday, February 1, 1999 - 09:16 pm:

It's funny how art is always there, lurking underneith the surface of everything. Thought I had lost art, but a change of scenery made all the difference for me. Going to New York gave me the thrill of discovery--of wanting to hold up a lens to the world I was seeing. If I had had paintbrushes I would have put them to use. Everyday I tried to memorize a scene.

Like dancing and writing, riding bicycles and playing Nintendo, it will return Pink Eye.

Do you ever have those pangs of remembering how fun it was to do an art project? If you do, art is still in you.

By Pink Eye on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 02:20 am:

Sorry, no pangs for years.

By Bagpuss on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 08:42 am:

Pangs for the memories?

By Pink Eye on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 09:41 am:

You know, like when you feel diarrhea coming on. Those are intense pangs!

By Spengler on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 11:18 am:

is a book-burning art?

By Semillama on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 11:37 am:

Well, not just any book-burning. If you burn your "hardy Boys" collection in your back yard, that's not really good art. Good art is going to the Temple in Salt Lake City with a bunch of Books of Mormon, douse 'em in gasoline, light, and then run like hell!

By Spengler on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 12:31 pm:

if it depends on the type of book, is burning the collected works of shakespeare high art?

By Markus on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 12:47 pm:

No, burning the collected works of Hunter S. Thompson is high art.

By Spengler on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 12:56 pm:

actually, i kind of enjoyed _hell's angels_

anyway, i think we have something of a consensus:
    book-burning is art.

By Markus on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 01:14 pm:

It was a pun, not literary criticism.

Since book-burning is a totalitarian tactic, and art is an expression of extreme individuality, I'd say they're quite opposite.

By Bagpuss on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 03:23 pm:

But, wouldn't burning books be against the consensus that it is totalitarianism and therefore an expression of individuality.

I've got huge deja vu typing this post.

And deja vu about saying I've got deja vu.

I'm going for a lie down.

By Spengler on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 03:40 pm:

took me a second on that h.s.t. thing.

it would be a totalitarian act if the ruling body burned the books; but if I dumped a load of books on the pavement in front of the local library and set them on fire all by my lonesome, then that would be an individual act.

i'm not even very clear about the term individual. how about the great religious art the world over? or the art of soviet russia? art hasn't always been utterly individualistic.

ah, fuck this. bagpuss had given me an idea to have a little fun, but i've got so much on my mind i can't even concentrate. i was hoping to trap some of the sillier sorabjites into an art debate, but they don't seem to be around. it's either start posting as a neo-nazi or fundamentalist fanatic or drop the whole thing.

drop.

By Semillama on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 04:15 pm:

If you want to see "art" that will definitely make you a) want to lie down or b)scream with rapturous glee, check out: http://www.subgenius.com

By Spengler on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 04:19 pm:

ah, i grew up on bob dobbs and the rev. ivan stang. i'm from the holy land.

By Bagpuss on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 04:49 pm:

You're from Goytre?

By Bagpuss on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 04:51 pm:

There's probably less than a thousand people in the world who would get that joke.

Now, that's art.

By The Pedant on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 05:01 pm:

Fewer than a thousand people.

And I think you grossly underestimate.

By Spengler on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 05:01 pm:

i'm half welsh, i half get it.

no, not even that.

what's a bagpuss?

By Bagpuss on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 05:11 pm:

OhmyGod!
    I'm spun out now.

Bagpuss - Emily Loved him.

By Spengler on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 06:04 pm:

once, not so long ago, there was a little girl named emily and she had a shop. (something like that.)

ah, the magic of the wordsearch.

to me, "bagpuss" sounded like street jargon for a geriatric prostitute.

it's why i thought you were female when you first started posting.

By Bagpuss on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 07:14 pm:

It's weird, Bagpuss seemed to have a disproportionate (sorry about spelling, pissed) amount of influence on my generation.

Considering my heritage I should have been calling myself "Ivor The Engine", but the cloth cat has my heart.

What the fuck am I saying?

Redirect to drunken ramblings please...

If you're half-Welsh, where're you from?

By R.C. on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 07:23 pm:

Or rather, which half is from Wales?

By Bagpuss on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 07:31 pm:

The better half. *That* goes without saying.

By Spengler. on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 07:39 pm:

i'm americanical, designed and built. my mother's side of the family is from wales, so i happen to know where goytre is. that's it.

i thought you said you haven't had a drink in ten years, or something like that.

By Bagpuss on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 07:46 pm:

I haven't, besides an occaisional lapse every few years. Got pissed for the last few nights. Needed to stop thinking for a bit.

(been a weird and bad week)

By Spengler on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 08:04 pm:

know the feeling.

i wonder if i should start calling myself puffn'stuff. jesus, how do you spell that?

By Bagpuss on Tuesday, February 2, 1999 - 08:35 pm:

"T" "H" "A" "T"

Oh, that's it, I'm off to bed before I embarass myself anymore.

By Pink Eye on Sunday, February 14, 1999 - 04:37 am:

I drew my girlfriend's likeness( cruddy as it was ) and am about to give it to her for VD. I tried.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact