To bad they weren't lynched

sorabji.com: Do you have any regrets?: To bad they weren't lynched
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By BigKevin on Saturday, October 23, 1999 - 08:28 pm:

"NEW YORK (Reuters) - A Ku Klux Klan group staged a small, silent demonstration in New York Saturday, surrounded by thousands of angry protesters chanting their contempt.

Sixteen men and women wore Klan robes and hoods but not face masks, and they did not use a sound system, respecting limits set by the administration of Mayor Rudolph Giuliani.

In a victory for the mayor, those limits were upheld in a last-minute ruling, issued at 2 p.m., by U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Lawyers for the white supremacists had challenged the city, winning in federal court Thursday but losing in appeals court Friday.

At issue were the Klan's masks, which city lawyers argued violated an 1845 statute against wearing masks while gathering publicly. Lawyers for the Klan argued that the masks protected members' right to free speech.

Without masks and denied a sound system by the city permit, Klan members stood silent as thousands jeered."

Damn, I wish those racist assholes had had the shit kicked out of them, then been strung up from the nearest lamppost!

Kudos NewYorkers on another crushing of Neo-Nazi bigots!!

By J on Sunday, October 24, 1999 - 05:24 am:

Coming from West Virginia,you don,t even know how bad it is,my father saw a lynching once,his big brothers took him to it,he was just a kid,he knew it wasn,t right,it traumatized him.These kind of "people",in a group of 20 of them,their collective I.Q.,s wouldn,t add up to a tennis score.About 3 weeks to a month ago we went to see my daughter,and to check out our rental house.There was a road block about 3 miles from her house,with a cop sitting at one of the blocked off intersections,we needed to turn right but the only way we could do it,was to pull into the Country Club Bar.We knew we could get a ticket if we just pulled through the parking lot and turned right on the main street.We went in and had a couple of drinks,this little goat roper kept coming to our table and asking what the football score was.We could tell he was tanked,but he was harmless enough,till he started ripping on the Mexicans,I said they were hard working people who did the work(they work hard,for practically nothing)that nobody else here wanted to do.The next thing I know is this loser starts going off on us about how he,s fifty four years old and making $5.25 a hour,and the Mexicans are taking jobs away from him.All I could think about was ,this jackass is 54 years old, and that,s the best he can do,maybe he should realize he,s stupid,could,t even figure out how to be a foreman or something? Did I ever mention I can be an asshole? I got so tacky with that little moron that my s/o wanted to go,but even with his 3 inch cowboy boots,I was taller than him,if he made more than $5.25 an hour,he would have driven a BIG truck there,I bet he walked there,when I was done with him,I bet he crawled home.The world is full of them,God help us!

By Waffles on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 12:34 pm:

this may piss some off, and if so, a "big fuck" you in advance, but at least it was peaceful, and I am still glad those fucks have a right to stage a peaceful gathering. Yeah their ideology is fucked and yes they are known for violence, and those are things to be addressed on a different level, but the minute we start telling them they can't gather to protest I have problems, and the whole deal about the mask thing is pussy waste of time, if they want to wear masks FINE, if not FINE, who cares..........no one deserves to be beaten for their beliefs regardless of how idiotic it may be........I think they are cowards for not showing their faces, but I think anyone who turns around and "lynches" them after midnite is just as big of a pussy............

"fucking the french good into the next century!!"
    fondly,
    waffles

By heather on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 01:42 pm:

making a big deal makes them more important...helps them to band together for their 'cause'

By Wisper on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 02:20 pm:

Waffles beat me to it.
    I'm not glad that they think what they do, but I'm glad that they can. Free speech isn't just what you want to hear

By Patrick on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 02:26 pm:

yeah heather, some folks just can't figure that out...the best recent example is the Brooklyn Museum issue.......how many more went to see it because of the publicity.....

By Rhiannon on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 03:22 pm:

We had an interesting (to me) little incident at Haverford (college up the street)...someone was advertising a drag ball, and someone else had written the line from Deuteronomy saying men should not wear women's clothes underneath it. This caused a huge uproar..."someone is forcing their religion on us / how dare they try to condemn the people who go to the ball / etc." Thankfully, someone wrote a letter to the newspaper (though I don't know how well-received it was) saying basically what Heather just said...."free speech isn't just what you want to hear"....also, how it's the people (on this campus) who claim to be so PC and tolerant who are the first to deny other people their right to free speech when they personally don't approve. So *they* can say what *they* want, but if anyone else has a differing opinion...they're being oppressive and fascist, etc etc. Especially if religion is involved.

This might not be an appropriate tangent, but:

My immediate family is Catholic. My extended family is all sorts of things...some are Episcopalians, some are born-again, some are Presbyterian, some have no affiliation, etc. though they (meaning my mom's siblings) were all raised Catholic. Well, one of the most important differences between Catholicism and other Christian sects is the Catholic belief that Jesus is truly, physically, present in the Eucharist. Because of this, non-Catholics are allowed to come to Mass, of course, but they are not allowed to take communion. This is a well-known rule.

So a few years ago, we have a family reunion, and all my family comes with us to Christmas Mass, and before Mass I tell everyone just what I said....please don't take communion, I didn't make this rule up, etc. My God, the uproar that caused! "We have every right to do what we want to do!" And on and on.

So what happened? They took communion...and when I asked them why, one of my cousins said "they have crackers at our church too!" AAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!

Right now, this is striking me as hilarious. What better way to get my goat??

Though I'm not without sin. I was recently chewed out by a friend of mine for some blasphemy on my part when I hung up a poster that had a picture of the Sacred Heart of Jesus...and Jesus had a cigarette in one hand and a beer in the other. I thought it was funny. What can I say? She, on the other hand, started crying when she saw it! And I laughed at her! But I took the poster down. After she left, of course.

By Patrick on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 03:26 pm:

are people REALLY that damn sensitive over their god?? Jesus age christ.........

By heather on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 03:36 pm:

(wisper said that)

but i agree

By Rhiannon on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 03:41 pm:

She's so sensitive, she actually covers her eyes with her hands when there's a love scene in a movie. That's even for kissing. So we shouldn't go by her.

I have problems with her anyway (not to get off topic AGAIN, but I feel like ranting for a while). In high school, she was pretty wild, or at least, wilder than I was and I wasn't wild. But *anyway* it was always, like, built into the friendship that she was the worldly one, and I was the naive one. Even though I was bitter and mean. I guess we just meant worldly in a social sense. Whatever. She used to tease me for being so naive all the time. (So I'm saying she thought she was wild herself.)

Then she had something of a religious conversion in her first year of college. She stopped listening to music, going to movies, reading anything other than religious books, etc. Now, she was and is my best friend...who knew/knows me better than anyone else on the planet, and I knew her that well too....so I was kind of freaked out about how we were having less and less in common, to say the least.

She started acting weird, too. Weird as in completely unemotional. She would just kind of sit there and smile blandly at me whenever I talked about anything. I couldn't get any kind of response out of her. Apparently, *saints* were "above" emotion, and she read this, and was trying to be saint-like. She even told me she wanted to be a saint.

Well, okay, fine, but she was also disapproving openly of what I was doing. And what was I doing?? Um, reading novels, going to movies, talking about all *sorts* of things besides religion. These were not things she wanted to be a part of. So all of a sudden, *I'm* the wild one. And I'm not even wild!

For about 3 years (until this year) I saw very little of her, because there was nothing to talk about. Recently, though, she seems to be returning to her old self. She's making me a mix, she says. She wants to go with me to whatever concert I next want to see, she says. We talk about music and poetry and non-religious things. She wants to apply to the same grad school I want to go to, so we can live together. She seems okay again.

But then, a few weeks ago, she freaked out over that poster. So I don't know what's going on with her. I just hope she levels out soon. I'm tired of these pendulum shifts.

By Lucy Phurre on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 05:07 pm:

God, save me from your followers.

But, anyway, RE: the bigots, free speech includes the right to refute, and it looks like those assholes got shouted down. TFB for them. That's the way it works.
    There are more issues with whether or not their behavior constitutes free speech, but I will post more later, as I gotta get back to work.

By Sarah on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 05:34 pm:

people like that don't deserve to have rights, or to have their rights protected or enforced, because they advocate the loss of other people's rights. free speech? those fuckers should have their tongues ripped out with a pair of pliers and then shoved down their throats so that they choke to death.

By Patrick on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 05:42 pm:

then as far as i am concerned you are one of them.....they are entitled to believe whatever they want and they are allowed to gather and protest/chant/dance or whatever, and dress like clowns if they want, they can burn crosses on their own property.....the DO NOT have a right burn shit on other peoples property, harass average street goers, lynch, curb or what have you. Those things are not tolerated by anyone.....the religious right advocates the loss of one's right's as do pro-lifers, as do gun control advocates (of course the term "right" is the pinnacle of debate there) ......are gonna strip them of their vocal chords, if so I am scared of your PC squeeky clean without opposition

and yes Lucy, you bet the right to refute most definitely

By Waffles on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 05:54 pm:

correction

"squeeky clean *WORLD*"

By Waffles on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 06:32 pm:

sarah the more i think about the more redundent it seems to be.......kinda like the death penalty,

first they came for the nazi's then they came for the NRA then they came for the NEA, then they came for the NBA,then they came for the KLA, then the ...you get my drift????? ...............

it's all about the forest, not just the trees.........

By Sarah on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 07:06 pm:

Patrick, i understand and can fully comprehend all the shades of grey in this issue, yet i stand firm on my statement. and as far as *i'm* concerned, i don't give a goddamn piece of monkey shit what you think about me, or my convictions about human rights.

have a nice day.

By Sarah on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 07:08 pm:

correction: my convictions about the *limitations* of human rights.

By Patrick on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 07:30 pm:

monkey shit huh? of course thats fine and all and I am confident you will never get your ways, but I admire your balls to stand by what you said.......

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact