What one moment would you change?

sorabji.com: Do you have any regrets?: What one moment would you change?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Cat on Thursday, September 7, 2000 - 05:45 pm:

I was just musing on this yesterday while pouting over the lack of meaning in my life...If I could change one moment or one decision in my life, what would it be?

It was frustrating trying to work out if I'd trade the bad, if it meant missing out on some of the good.

I think now that I wouldn't have taken my current job, because it's how I met my fistycuffs ex and where my stalker found me. But then...I don't know.

Do you think our life is dictated by fate? Or is it just living out the consequences of our decisions and actions?

By Mavis on Thursday, September 7, 2000 - 05:56 pm:

i think about this fairly often too.
    i am a fence sitter in the "free will/fate" debate.

i think there are a limited number of options handed to us (fate), and we can choose freely among them......
    i wouldn't trade the bad moments i've had, i would just try to change some decisionmaking patterns i have developed. that, and i would figure out how to be an amazing singer/songwriter so i can use some of that bad juju for something constructive.

By Isolde on Friday, September 8, 2000 - 08:29 am:

I used to think about this all the time, but now Ifigure: what's done is done, no use fretting. It sometimes gets sneaky and troubles me anyway, but I think any decision I made was for the best, even if the good results didn't appear immediatly.

By Nate on Friday, September 8, 2000 - 10:33 am:

i find that everything happens correctly if you expect it to.

i don't know if it is some sort of cosmic luck, or just something simple like if you expect that everything is happening correctly, you'll seek the positive and constructive in everything that happens.

but fucking-a, anthony robbins has nothing on me.

By Nate on Friday, September 8, 2000 - 10:34 am:

oh yeah, always acting with integrity is really important.

By Mavis on Friday, September 8, 2000 - 12:11 pm:

what do you mean specifically by "integrity"? do you mean acting in a "moral" way?

or do you mean integrity as in doing what you say you will do/ having your actions match your words?

By patrick on Friday, September 8, 2000 - 12:39 pm:

i'd interpret it as the latter mavis....i tend to regard that highly.....

i can't get caught up with how and why things happen...i accept they just do.

when i look back, in hindsight, so many steps in my life, my dropping out of college, my moving in with nico, my move to back atlanta, my proposing, my wedding, my band, my move to cali, photography up to the present.....

well they may have seemed implausible before, many significant things happened and had you asked me a year/month/week/ prior, im not sure I would have responded favorably.

But when they happen, despite prior feelings, it usually seems right, NOW i know they were right. There are certain things I see in the future, that just seem right, they seem natural. I know that most of these things will manifest themselves, maybe not in the way i imagined, but they will, one way or another.

and that sorta falls back on to nates idea that things will happen correctly if you expect them to.

i don't always understand or project the details, but there is no point in having insecurity that things WON'T happen they way you want.

By Pez on Friday, September 8, 2000 - 07:10 pm:

go through life, carefully
    do a little good, do a little bad
    make someone smile
    make someone cry
    to see if they care
    walk along, liiiive
    but not too greedily
    and if we all go by these rules
    the world might be a little less needy

yes indeedy.

i think all a person can ask for is not to be given the power to fuck themselves or someone else up.

otherwise it's up to you.

By Tired on Friday, September 8, 2000 - 08:18 pm:

hum. . .

perhaps I should have said "east" instead of "west" that one time.

nothing to do with philosophy.

By Nate on Saturday, September 9, 2000 - 02:57 am:

btw

i meant integrity as in morals. personal morals. in the morals are subjective sense.

kind of.

if all your actions are up to your inner personal standards, then you have nothing to worry about. if you have nothing to worry about, you're happier. if you're happier, things are better.

of course, this integrity involves living up to your word. unless, of course, it doesn't bother you when people point out that you haven't...

By blindswine on Saturday, September 9, 2000 - 12:25 pm:

i read shit like this and wonder if we're all living on the same planet.

fucking hell.

here's my advice:

take your pants off before you start jerking yourself off.

By Pez on Saturday, September 9, 2000 - 02:33 pm:

that works...

of course, why wear pants in the first place?

except when it's cold...

By Antigone on Saturday, September 9, 2000 - 03:45 pm:

I find that living up to your word is highly overrated.

By Hal on Saturday, September 9, 2000 - 04:04 pm:

I have to agree with Swine on this one, sometimes I am really suprised we live on the same planet...

Although thats only when I'm sloshin' a Vodka & Tequila mix... And can breath out my ankles...

I think that if we all just lived our lives from day to day, don't fret the small shit, and just keep living... We'll be fine...

And I learned a very important lesson, way back when I was a freshman in highschool... There are very few things that cannot be considered "The Small Shit."

By semillama on Saturday, September 9, 2000 - 04:05 pm:

I should've eaten more pussy.

By Isolde on Saturday, September 9, 2000 - 04:57 pm:

I think I would change having shown Antithesis Sorabji.

By blindswine on Saturday, September 9, 2000 - 05:50 pm:

hmmm...

after going to the gym, shopping for clothes, fighting The Power, and bitch-slapping The Man, i've come to the conclusion that what i really wanted to say was:

"try removing your pants before jerking yourself off."

or maybe it was:

"nobody 'makes their own reality'. the best anybody can do is make a conscious effort to control how they react to the pre-packaged crap we all have to deal with"

nah. i think it was something like this:

"if one more goddamn chucklehead spouts any of that "reality is what you make of it" bullshit to me, i'm gonna break a piece of my reality up in their muhfuckin' ass."

hmm..

yup.

that was it.

By Nate on Saturday, September 9, 2000 - 06:35 pm:

damn swine.

you do this to yourself.

By Rhiannon on Saturday, September 9, 2000 - 07:39 pm:

"Chance favors the prepared mind." Yep.

Btw, blending free will and fate is called compatibilism. My philosopher-roommate is a self-proclaimed compatibilist. If she were here, she could explain this to you better. But she's not.

By Hal on Sunday, September 10, 2000 - 12:06 am:

Nahh, the way I look at it, and no I cannot follow the advice I just gave above... The world is out to screw me in very uncomfortable places, and it is my duty on a daily basis to thwart the efforts of the entire world in this mission.

By Isolde on Sunday, September 10, 2000 - 12:15 am:

That's one way to look at it, I guess. It's kind of a silly way to look at the world, but...that's for another day. I just devoured a plum. That is a moment I'd like to keep. The plum was good. It filled me. It served no purpose other than to appease my stomach. And it was the best plum I've ever had.
    I don't think the world is out to get me--I'm out to get the world. I prefer to take life by the horns and then figure out what to do with the rest of the bull.

By Antigone on Sunday, September 10, 2000 - 12:48 am:

I think blindswine is highly overrated.

By dave. on Sunday, September 10, 2000 - 01:56 am:

rating is overrated.

By Pez on Sunday, September 10, 2000 - 02:29 am:

i wish i had taken that chance to live before advertiing was invented...'course, that would mean that i'd be constantly grooming other monkeys.

i wish i'd never gone on that four-years-and-counting-self-hating-spree.

and i also wish that i never mistook that cow for a horse seven years ago.

By blindswine on Sunday, September 10, 2000 - 04:06 am:

dry white toast?

By Antigone on Sunday, September 10, 2000 - 10:16 am:

Six fried chickens and a coke?

By Isolde on Sunday, September 10, 2000 - 12:27 pm:

Vegan waffles?

By Antigone on Sunday, September 10, 2000 - 03:44 pm:

tanstaafl?

By Hal on Sunday, September 10, 2000 - 04:17 pm:

Acid....

And remember kids, NEVER take the Brown Acid.

By Rhiannon on Sunday, September 10, 2000 - 08:59 pm:

Okay.

My third table is assembled. Off to spray paint in the dark. Bye, babies.

By Antigone on Sunday, September 10, 2000 - 10:56 pm:

That's smurfarific, Rhi!

By Pez on Monday, September 11, 2000 - 02:26 am:

la la lalalala...

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact