having to leave that excellent little bar in New Orleans

sorabji.com: Do you have any regrets?: having to leave that excellent little bar in New Orleans
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
semillama on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 12:32 pm:

So, here I am, back in Columbus after a fantastic trip to New Orleans. I managed to catch a few papers at the conference I attended, and talked to a few folks during my poster session. Mostly, though, I spent my time in the French quarter. I drank every night, but never got wasted - perfect.
    I will discus below the regret part, in order to deal with everything that didn't revolve around my new favorite bar. Firstly, Czarina and I never managed to hook up for drinks, due to her intestinal problems which she gave me way too much information about. I saw an excellent blues/ragtime band called the Kitchen Syncopators, bought their cd. That prevented me from eating well the rest of the time there, but it was worth it. I spent only one night out on Bourbon street with some archaeologist friends. Weakest drinks in the world, let me tell, are to be found there. I did not throw any beads at women, but instead assisted a woman I was standing next to on a balcony in picking out guys to throw beads at, including one of my crew, who didn't get what was going on. I nailed him in the head with some beads I had picked up. I then went down, and recieved some beads the old fashioned way - I earned them. Pretty fun, but I wouldn't care to do it again.

Here's the regret part, and it's regret due to the great time I had. The first night in, I and Steve the Gothic Archaeologist found a little place called the Pirate's Alley Cafe, in Pirate's Alley off Jackson square. Turns out to be a little bar that serves the sanitized version of Absinthe and great drinks at reasonable prices. What was truly great about the bar is that both the clientele (artists, skaters, a couple goths,and the generally overeducated) and the staff (ditto) were the friendliest folks I have ever met in a bar. Topping the list of these folks is the bartender, Diana. Brilliant deep pink/red hair, an expressive face and dark eyes. The first night she was playing Ramones all night long. We talked a bit and she seemed to take to us immediately. Even turns out she's a SubGenius, too - in fact, the first other one I have met in the flesh. She's vastly intelligent, will be going to Notre Dame on a full ride for Medieval studies, goes to school full time now while holding down 3 full time jobs ( actually, she's part-owner of three places, including the bar). It was just one of those very rare situations when you instantly make friends with a person, you know? Another instance of Vonnegut's "Karass" is what I think.

Anyway, I ended up spending most of my money and time at this bar, specifically for her company and also for the company of the other folks, such as this cute nanny who once studied linguistic archaeology (Steve TGA seemed to think that she was quite into me) and Jimbo, another bartender whoe had degrees in English, Art History and Architecture. It was really hard leaving that place. I don't know if it's in part to the fact that I haven't made any friends outside of work here, or that Diana is simply one of the coolest people I have ever met. The whole place in fact, strongly reminded me of here, in the types of people and conversations, and the atmosphere. Or maybe just because I was accepted and fit right in immediately.

Shit. I want to go back. Am I overreacting to this? I mean, I am at a sort of vulnerable spot in my life right now, and let's face it, it has been about8 years since I recieved that much attention from that many women at one time.

Christ I do not want to be here now.

By patrick on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 12:44 pm:

don't be a pussy and pass it up boy...you're not over reacting at all. Call her up at the bar.....say you were thinking about dropping into town again because you had such a good time.....and you wondered if she would like to hook up outside of her work...ask her to show you some of the more interesting parts of "Nawlins" or what have you.

that outcome should anwer all your questions. she's says yes, you go, she says no, you move on.

life
    short
    live
    now

go sem go sem go sem go sem go sem go sem go sem

By Dougie on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 12:54 pm:

Are you looking for a lost weekend with her, or a more serious thingy? She'll be moving to Indiana for school, can you follow her around? Or actually, South Bend's probably a 6-7 hour drive from Columbus. Or maybe she could transfer to OSU. Patrick's right, might as well give it a go.

By semillama on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 01:38 pm:

To tell the truth, I recognize that such a thing is not viable at this time. I htnk I just want to not let a budding friendship die on the vine. Dating is pretyy much out of the question, which is probably the best for my sanity (I've had enough of dating bisexuals with too many items on their schedules). Her description of her current (well, practically dead) relationship was along the lines of the current boyfriend, not seen in a couple months due to travel, was unaware of the other boyfriend and girlfriend during the relationship. That's a red flag if ever I heard one. Plus, I get the idea that she's outta my league and we both know it. Still, an incredible person I want to interact with more.

The problem with dropping in again anytime soon is the money. I have none. Taxes ate everything this year.I need to get rid of debt before I go anywhere else not business related. I am going back though.

Thanks for the supprt though, guys. Need to find something here to dive into so to move on today, feeling a bit out of sorts and useless.

By sarah on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 01:43 pm:

that's kinda how things went down between kevin and me. we both remained committed to a long distance friendship, purely platonic and enjoyable friendship, and look what happened one year later.

if she's that cool, if you guys clicked, don't let distance make it fade away. those kinds of connections are rare, but real. don't psyche yourself out of it. stay in touch with her, enjoy it for what it is, and have fun seeing where it goes. you never know, sem...

By Skooter on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 03:11 pm:

Yo Sem...I say just keep in contact with this cool azz chick. After all you will be spending eternity on the Pleasure Ships with each other anyway right.? Glad to hear that yoy had a good time though.

By Antigone on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 04:04 pm:

Shit, Sem. You make me wish I'd blown off my 90 year old grandparents and went to the Big Easy to meet you...

OK, I wouldn't have blown off my grandparents.

But I still may head down to New Orleans after I get back to Dallas. (I'm in New Jersey at the moment.) That bar sounds too interesting to pass up...

Last night I saw an ass kicking show in New York by an Argentinian performance troupe called De La Guarda. It was fantastic! In one sentence: sexy wet Argentinian men and women suspended from ropes who dive into the audience, scream at each other, kiss audience members, and get everyone dancing with music that vibrates your whole body. Definately worth the price of admission. Hell, I might just go again if I wander back into the city later this week.

By semillama on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 04:18 pm:

That sounds fun. If you do go to N.O., be sure to grab a meal at the Clover Grill, 900 Bourbon Street. Best goddam diner food I have ever had, freaking unbelievable hamburgers. Plus, all the employees are flamboyantly gay and trade witty flaming patter back and forth the entire time, including the following exchange:

short order cook1: "So, how was your hamburger, dear?"

customer: "Great!"

s.o.c.1: "Johnny, he says he absolutley loves your meat."

s.o.c.2: "Thanks, love, I think you're special too . . . just like everybody else."

Then they burst into gay disco songs.

FYI: I am currently waiting on the email address for Diana from Steve TGA (although I think he has a crush on her [I'm cuter though!]).

almost done with work here, now I must figure out what to do tonight. Unpack, put away laundry from last week, maybe clean up a bit.

By Pug on Monday, April 23, 2001 - 09:08 pm:

Christ....
    Czarina's illness kinda makes me feel okay I missed out....
    But I have always wanted to do New Orleans....
    Shit.
    Not even gonna divulge my opinions on Long Distance thangs as they've always been wretched....just watch yo ass, chief....

By semillama on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 10:33 am:

You know it, bud. I'm too old and scarred up to fall into that trap again . . .

I will add that if we everdo organize a sorabji-fest, New Orleans is my first choice.

By sarah on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 04:21 pm:

what about Austin?

By semillama on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 05:06 pm:

Maybe. You are living there soon, doesn't Droopy live there too?

By patrick on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 05:08 pm:

the droopster is in Ft Worth i thought.

By dave. on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 08:11 pm:

droopster?

By Nate on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 10:46 pm:

dave.ster?

By sarah on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 05:13 am:

droopy is in ft. worth. i hope to get up there to see him before the year's end.

did i happen to mention that i'm going crazy? i am. it's these goddamn motherfucking hormones driving me insane. i have an appointment with the gyno on monday. people: i am going on THE PILL.

I GIVE UP I CAN'T TAKE THIS SHIT ANYMORE.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 10:22 am:

yeah, the pill won't make you any more whack.

speaking of such, these prescribed sleeping pills ... i don't know what to think of them. they lay an edge on me that i can't explain. and the dreams. shit.

I LIT MY PANTS ON FIRE.

i think i've slipped this time. i really do.

By patster on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 01:27 pm:

what are you confused about dave?

By Gangstarr on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 01:55 pm:

gothstar

By dave. on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 02:46 pm:

suffixizing namerinos, dudester.

By sickboy on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 02:55 pm:

thats funny.

touch me im sick

By dave. on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 05:25 pm:

take a napster.

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 11:59 pm:

"droopy is in ft. worth. i hope to get up there to see him before the year's end. "

Jeez, and what am I sarah, chopped liver?

Sigh... I get no respect around here.

Oh, and I vote for Austin. I't just a 3 hour drive for me, and a bitchin' town. How about we all meet at Threadgills? I can show ya'll the place where I shared butt prints with Lyle Lovett.

By moonit on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 03:10 am:

Would you make Antigone...
    Antigonester
    or
    Antister?

By Cat on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 03:23 am:

I'd just make a lovely lampshade from Antigone.

By semillama on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 09:45 am:

I'd stuff him and have him mounted up, like a big ol' grizzly bear, his mouth wide in a snarl of fury.

By Antigonestein on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 11:34 am:

From whence hast come all this agnostic antagonism
    for my person?

By semillama on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 11:51 am:

I think it's more affectionate antigonism.

By Antigone on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 08:53 pm:

Well then bring on the affectionate aggrandizement!

By moonit on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 02:42 am:

My Mum wants to be stuffed and mounted. She keeps threating that she'll write it into her will, and make it a condition of inheriting - she has to be over the mantleplace.

By J on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 02:56 am:

If I'm lucky enough to outlive my s/o,I want him stuffed and holding an ashtray,so he will be as usefull in death as in life,I love your mom Moonit.

By moonit on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 03:03 am:

I just spat oj over my keyboard.

I'm going to suggest that to my mum.

Thanks J

By semillama on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 09:52 am:

You're in fine form today, J.

By Kalli on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 11:38 am:

hah!

i watched some show at some point somewhere (i dont remember. witty cover up) about this guy who was all covered in tattoos, and when he died, he had his son skin him, and now all the tattoos are hanging over the mantel.

that ruled.

By patrick on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 12:55 pm:

thats absolutely sick kalli, what the hell?

By semillama on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 02:25 pm:

What an heirloom.

Has anyone checked out www.finalcurtain.com? It's a prank on a theme-park style graveyard. One guy wanted to be cremated and then have his ashes perpetually spinning in a blender.

By Kalli on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 03:15 pm:

you know how dead skin gets me hot.

By heather on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 03:18 pm:

there's a tattoo museum, in amsterdam maybe? they have old sailor tattoos in jars.

they also have an arm. a shrivelly 'ol arm w/ tattoos.

By Kalli on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 03:23 pm:

By semillama on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 03:29 pm:

Sweet Zombie Jesus!

Is that . . .

Is that YOU, Mom!?!?!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact