Blaze of Glory

sorabji.com: Do you have any regrets?: Blaze of Glory
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Cat on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 04:19 pm:

"AN AUSTRALIAN climber has died on Mount Everest, just short of reaching the summit.

South Australian Mark Auricht, 37, died from high altitude exposure on the Tibetan north face of Everest at an altitude of 8000m, a Foreign Affairs department spokeswoman said.

He was close to the summit of the 8800m mountain.

Mr Auricht's climbing partner Duncan Chessell reached the summit of the world's highest mountain on Wednesday - the first South Australian to do so."

I read this and thought "what a way to go, doing something brave and daring".

So how do you want to escape gravity, slip from the moral coil, cark it, kick the bucket, sign off on that final invoice from the big boss, flit off to the big chocolate shop in the sky, die?

By Spider on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 04:48 pm:

Not like that. I want to die of old age. I don't want my death to be a shock to anyone. I want my big, happy, grandkid-laden family to shake their collective head and say, "damn shame, but she lived a good life." Then they can play Erik Satie at my funeral and have a big feast in my honor. No tears.

By cyst on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 04:54 pm:

that sucks when someone dies trying to climb everest, and then their corpse becomes just one more piece of trash on that beautiful mountain.

By crimson on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 05:01 pm:

i want to die peacefully at the beach, knowing full well that i came there to die (like when i'm about 105 years old or something). just lie there in the sand, letting the surf lap at my wrinkled old feet. i'll be dressed in soft, comfortable clothing & will be smiling while i feel my life gently ebbing away as another magnificent sunset rolls in golden-pink glory across the waves.

having said this, i'll probably die in some stupid, horrid & meaningless way, just like damn near everyone else. let's just pray to (insert deity of your choice here) that it's not from alzheimer's. i'd really like to keep my mental faculties as a consolation prize when i'm old.

By Nate on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 05:21 pm:

they think they've cured alzheimer's. it will be a couple years before they have made sure the cure doesn't cause cancer, like the last one did.

but it appears promising.

i'm not going to die. that is one thing i am certain cannot be proved otherwise. not to me, anyway.

i wake up in the morning
    and i raise my weary head
    i've got an old coat for a pillow
    and the earth was last night's bed
    i don't know where i'm going
    only god knows where i've been
    i'm a devil on the run
    a six gun lover
    a candle in the wind

when you're brought into this world
    they say you're born in sin
    well at least they gave me something
    i didn't have to steal or have to win.
    well they tell me that i'm wanted
    yeah, i'm a wanted man
    i'm a colt in your stable
    i'm what cain was to abel
    mister catch me if you can

i'm going down
    in a blaze of glory
    take me now
    but know the truth
    i'm going down
    in a blaze of glory
    lord i never drew first
    but i drew first blood
    i'm no one's son.

By Dougie on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 05:22 pm:

Did anybody hear that piece on NPR yesterday where this old dude went fishing at a lake in a state park, keeled over, and a well-meaning park ranger came by and revived him, and now she gets irate calls from him every day from his nursing home saying "why did you have to play God and save me, all I wanted to do was die while fishing and I was so close..." etc.

I want to die in my sleep when I'm 80. Climb into bed, pull the covers up, close my eyes, drift off to sleep, and never wake up.

By Pug on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 05:23 pm:

The way I'm living right now I reckon I'll be dead before I turn 40....which is fine...

By Gecko on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 05:27 pm:

For me, it has to be a hang gliding accident when I am 75.

I have a rather irrational fear of old people, and so I know I don't want to become one.

I'm with Cat... Blaze of Glory

By droopy on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 05:32 pm:

a friend of mine in high school lived with his grandparents. his parents pretty much abandoned him to them. he didn't move out till he was about 21. his grandfather had a heart attack. when the paramedics came, the grandfather pushed them away to keep them from saving him. he died. after that my friend developed this theory that you only live until you're no longer useful, and then it's time to die. somehow this helped him come to terms with his grandfather's death.

i've never been useful, but that doesn't seem like a reason to die. but i have an idea that i am going to die in bed somewhere between now and june 11.

By Cat on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 05:35 pm:

The only good thing about growing old is that you have an excuse to be really eccentric and I can't wait to play that up. There's a poem by Jenny Joseph called "Warning" and it's about that very thing -

"When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
    with a red hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me,
    And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
    And satin sandals, and say we have no money for butter.

And I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
    And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
    And run my stick along public railings
    And make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
    and pick flowers in other people's gardens,
    And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible suits and grow fat
    And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
    Or only bread and pickles for a week
    And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry,
    And pay our rent and not swear in the street,
    And set a good example for the children.
    We will have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
    So people who know me
    are not too shocked and surprised,
    When suddenly I am old
    and start to wear purple!"

By Nate on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 06:16 pm:

thats nice. in a non-sarcastic way.

i think i'm going to start dropping acid again when i'm old. maybe my grandkids will be able to hook me up.

i'll say things like "and make sure it's clean. you don't want the weight of this ol' geezer heart going out on the shoulders of your soul for the rest of your lives."

and "goddamnit, i maybe senile but i know the difference between blotter acid and little squares of toiletpaper!"

By Pug on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 06:19 pm:

Practice now. Practice A LOT now. It's all we have left.

By cyst on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 06:42 pm:

you're useful to me, droopy.

By abga5tnha on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 08:12 pm:

i fukefdf up 5tnhe 5tnhe kfeyboardf, it5 isf 5typinbg lifkef 5tnhisf now.

By dave. on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 09:24 pm:

agatha is a walking accident.

By Platypus on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 09:44 pm:

I'm terrified of being old, so I hope I die young. But I don't really have any great ideas about how I want to die. Painlessly, perhaps...

By Daniel ssss on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 12:38 am:

struck by lightning

By Fetidbeaver on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 01:59 am:

We had a lady struck by lightening in Walmart's parking lot a couple of weeks ago. She survived.
    Now we have people saying that she is suing Walmart....because she feels that she was overcharged. HeeHee

By dave. on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 02:10 am:

i've always said that if i could have the luxury of choosing, i'd skydive and undo the parachute and at about 5,000 feet, i'd just roll so i was facing up and fly. then, die.

i'm endlessly fascinated with altitudes and views. i can look out a plane window for hours. in fact, i have serious resentment for in-flight movies because i figure for that kind of money, it shouldn't be an extra cost but mostly because i have to close the fucking windowshade.

another alternate would be to go up in a hot air balloon. there are "tours" (go up, go down. is that a tour?) that you can go on north of seattle. so, i'd just go up and hop out.

By Spider on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 08:54 am:

droopy, you can't die then. You'd ruin my birthday.

By Dougie on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 09:07 am:

We should put in our wills that when we die, a family member or friend posts our obits here, or at least the fact that we've died and won't be posting much anymore.

By J on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 09:13 am:

With any luck I'll die in my sleep,or at least that is how I would like to go.

By Hal on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 11:23 am:

Somehow the hangliding thing seems like bad idea, I mean plummeting out of the air when your a back of wet bones and organs doesn't sound so hot to me.

With my luck, (or at least this is what people keep telling me) is that I'll die in some horribly accidental way. Nothing that would warrant me being inducted into the Darwin awards but something completely accidental and impossible. Like some stray meteor or something will come shooting through my roof one day miss the cat, miss the dog, and hit nothing but me. Or happen to somehow be caught in between to semi's colliding.

Note however that this is how OTHER people predict my death. Personally, I'm with Nate on this one, I'm not going to die.

By Czarina on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 11:27 am:

I have a secret place in the Cascades,my thinking place.When I'm done living,I hope to go there,get in some meditation,recall the highs and lows of my life,and just drift off into eternity.Maybe see a few old friends/lovers,who can show me the way.

By Czarina on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 11:39 am:

Well,the above is how I would like to go,but I think my s/o has other plans for me.
    I asked him to send my body back to Oregon,have it wrapped in muslin,and placed in a tree for the birds to carry me away,Native American style.I thought everyone understood my last wishes,untill I overheard my s/o telling my spawn:

"Thats just what she thinks is gonna happen.I'm just gonna wrap her in toilet paper,toss her carcass up in an old chicken tree[scrub/weed tree],and let Buster[my favorite parrot]have at her."

Somehow,I think the romance has gone out of our relationship.

By patrick on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 12:04 pm:

i cant think about this.

i appreciate your longing for views dave. i think as humans we constantly need to place ourselves. When they made the subways 100 years ago, at first they didnt put any windows in them... its a dark tunnel, whats to see, but realized, even thought its a dark, humans still like to be able to look out. A friend in NYC is itching to move because he can rarely get above the tree or bldg line there. LA is good that way, its a city, but there are so many vistas and views.

By droopy on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 12:15 pm:

thank you, cyst. i'll try not to die until june 13, spider.

have you not gotten that tape, yet? i probably mistakenly addressed it to greenland and right now there's a bunch of eskimoes bopping to "better git it in you soul".

i've heard that poem cat posted somewhere before. i wanna say that nelly had posted it somewhere a long time ago. i could be completely wrong.

By Hal on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 12:38 pm:

I have some poetry I've been meaning to post, even one about me dying... but I'm thinking I'll save my shitty as poetry and continue to read all of your good poetry. I psyche myself up for disspointment way to often, I don't need to force it.

By Oswald Jr. on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 12:49 pm:

I could die while getting held by my parants and Uncle Pug and Auntie Crimson and my boy friend and all my friends. I do not want to out live every body I can not think of my folks or friends dieing. I will go first I am so afraid to be left alone if I go first I will not have to live thru the pain. The pain of others going befoare me.But I'm afraid to die cause of religion I do not want to go to Hell for being what I am. I do not know what will hapen when I die.

By Spider on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 12:51 pm:

Droopy, I just sent you an email.

I really really want Leonard Cohen's "The Energy of Slaves" but it's out of print. Thank God I posted lots of his poems here. I wonder where I put them....

I bought Bukowski's "Love Is a Dog in Heat" last night, hoping my mystery poem was in it. It wasn't. But Cat's poem was, along with a nice poem called something like "the quiet clean girls in gingham dresses."

I've read all the poems. I'm going to return it tonight in exchange for Leonard Cohen's novel "Beautiful Losers," which is still in print.

Leonard Cohen is mad sexy.

By Hal on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 01:45 pm:

Your not going to hell because of who you are Oswald, the catholics and the christians would have you belive that... But your not going to hell. Your a good person.

By Spider on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 02:18 pm:

If you want to fight generalizations, you can't be guilty of them yourself.

The Catholics and Christians would not tell Oswald he's going to hell. *Some* would. But they would be judging him, and they're not supposed to judge, so you can ignore them.

Haven't we had this discussion before? You try to be as good as you can. Effort counts. No one knows who is going to hell. It's not for us to think about. We just have to work on loving as much as we can.

Old friend, you are a mess
    by every measure
    except the ladder of love.

The ladder of love is the only measure that counts.

By Oswald Jr. on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 03:10 pm:

I should not bring up the Hell thing again it is just a thing that worrys me a lot and I can not help but think of it. My fear is not of death but of Hell. Being dead would suck tho. You would not get to make love or eat choclate what a drag.

By Nate on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 03:13 pm:

you're a good person, spider.

oswald,

(these are my opinions)

jesus said that we are all god. and god is all encompassing. so you and the Universe are one and the same.

know yourself first. remove what you've been told. your soul knows the truth.

people rarely listen to their own souls.

the key is not to harm yourself. the only evil is the evil of harming yourself.

recall that you are the Universe. i am the Universe, too. so you and i, we are the same.

so if you harm me, you harm yourself.

this is true for anyone, because we are all the Universe. we are all the same.

loving another person is loving yourself. it doesn't matter if that person is the same gender.

i'm sure jesus would agree.

By patrick on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 03:14 pm:

why be scared of something no one knows exists? life's to short for that.

By Spider on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 03:49 pm:

You're a good person, too, Nate.

God is love. If love is present, God is present. The more love, the more God.

Remember that, after free will, your own conscience is the greatest gift God has given you. If you truly believe in your conscience that you love Dorian in a good, healthy, respectful way, then that's what matters.

On the other hand, sins are things that cut you off from God. So, if you're in doubt whether or not something is a sin, you look at how it affects your relationship with God. Can you still pray, or are you ashamed to be before God? That's a sign that your conscience isn't happy with what you're doing.

Dante said that you have to choose to go to hell. It's an active choice.

Kahlil Gibran said that fear of the devil is one way of doubting God.

Don't doubt God. He's wonderful, and He loves you more than you will ever know.

That goes for all of you. You, too, dave.

By Nate on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 03:59 pm:

"Can you still pray, or are you ashamed to be before God?"

i question this test, simply because shame seems based on conditioning.

but that's just me. i had to dissolve the shame of not going to church from my life before i could believe in god again.

By patrick on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 04:10 pm:

thats really weird spider.

By Cat on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 05:12 pm:

Droopy, you're not allowed to die, you made me too happy by rhyming 'sweetah' with Anita.

I would cry if any one of you died. So you better not let that happen.

Because I sometimes travel to possibly hazardous places, though I'm more likely to keel over from eating rotten food than from a bullet, I have a "death list". If I died, the company I work would contact the people on the list and offer to fly them over to wherever I died so they could make arrangements or whatever. I have a sorabjite on that list.

By Cat on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 05:49 pm:

Droopy, if you want to talk to someone full of bad advice, I'm your girl.

By Hal on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 06:05 pm:

That sounds like Pantheism Nate.

By Nate on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 06:13 pm:

sort of.

By dave. on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 06:44 pm:

i still say that there are things that a truly loving god would not allow. and yet, they happen all the time. did god love the 8 year old girl found dead today in phoenix? seems like if he did, she would have made it home after school yesterday.

By Nate on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 07:36 pm:

who are you to question god's love?

By dave. on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 07:57 pm:

if god has the power to help but doesn't, then i don't need any of it. i have the republicans who are already doing a good job in that department. similarly, i can do without a god that wants to help but can't seem to get it's act together. that job is already handled by the dems.

also, the "i am the universe and the universe is me" line is fine and dandy until my universe bumps into your universe because at that point i become as finite as you and the whole thing becomes irrelevant.

By patrick on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 03:26 am:

"until my universe bumps into your universe because at that point i become as finite as you and the whole thing becomes irrelevant."

for the love of christ (you've never known), take more narcotics. Your statements have the weight of bricks.

By Cat on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 03:28 am:

I wish Antigone was here. It's just not a bloody religious broo-ha-ha without the big guy :(

By dave. on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 04:44 am:

chirpy, bullshit spiritual maxims piss me off. that's all. defining it and describing it diminishes it. whatever, carry on.

By Nate on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 09:12 am:

it's not bullshit, dave. its an attempt to express something unexpressible. an attempt to be a trigger for the truth.

99% of everything is attitude. be careful with yourself.

By dave. on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 12:45 pm:

99%? maybe if you're alone on a deserted island.

but go ahead and keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

By semillama on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 03:12 pm:

I think Spider should be our next Pope.

By heather on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 03:23 pm:

spider is my pope

By Nate on Saturday, May 26, 2001 - 04:10 pm:

i doesn't make me feel better, dave. it makes me better.

By dave. on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 03:24 am:

awww, big fucking deal. maybe someday i'll be as happy as you are. or maybe i'll get crohn's disease. you never fucking know.

By Nate on Sunday, May 27, 2001 - 07:49 pm:

you are as happy as me. you are me.

By J on Monday, May 28, 2001 - 03:07 am:

And we are all together...see how they run.

By Naticus on Monday, May 28, 2001 - 03:31 am:

FORNICATION! BEASTIALITY! MUNCHKIN LOVE!!!

By agatha on Monday, May 28, 2001 - 11:34 am:

dave and nate are the same person? how long were you boys going to hide this from me?

i'm always the last one to know.

By The Watcher on Friday, June 1, 2001 - 02:57 pm:

I remember a great bit concerning Hell from a Brit Com, whose name I can't remember.

The young priest asks the older priest if he believes in the existance Hell.

The older priest answers "Absolutly. But, if you asked me if I believed our god would ever send a soul there I would say never".

Or something to that effect.

By The Watcher on Friday, June 1, 2001 - 04:51 pm:

I am not going to die. I'll just fall apart gracelessly.

Besides, if I did die all of you would cease to exist. Since this world is only the figment of my warped mind. And, I'd like to keep you all around for a while longer. Most of you anyway.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact