Are we winning or losing the Global War on Terror?

sorabji.com: Do you have any regrets?: Are we winning or losing the Global War on Terror?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Donald Rumsfeld on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 11:54 am:

October 16, 2003

TO: Gen. Dick Myers
    Paul Wolfowitz
    Gen. Pete Pace
    Doug Feith

SUBJECT: Global War on Terrorism

The questions I posed to combatant commanders this week were: Are we winning or losing the Global War on Terror? Is DoD changing fast enough to deal with the new 21st century security environment? Can a big institution change fast enough? Is the USG changing fast enough?

DoD has been organized, trained and equipped to fight big armies, navies and air forces. It is not possible to change DoD fast enough to successfully fight the global war on terror; an alternative might be to try to fashion a new institution, either within DoD or elsewhere — one that seamlessly focuses the capabilities of several departments and agencies on this key problem.

With respect to global terrorism, the record since Septermber 11th seems to be:

We are having mixed results with Al Qaida, although we have put considerable pressure on them — nonetheless, a great many remain at large.

USG has made reasonable progress in capturing or killing the top 55 Iraqis.

USG has made somewhat slower progress tracking down the Taliban — Omar, Hekmatyar, etc.

With respect to the Ansar Al-Islam, we are just getting started.

Have we fashioned the right mix of rewards, amnesty, protection and confidence in the US?

Does DoD need to think through new ways to organize, train, equip and focus to deal with the global war on terror?

Are the changes we have and are making too modest and incremental? My impression is that we have not yet made truly bold moves, although we have have made many sensible, logical moves in the right direction, but are they enough?

Today, we lack metrics to know if we are winning or losing the global war on terror. Are we capturing, killing or deterring and dissuading more terrorists every day than the madrassas and the radical clerics are recruiting, training and deploying against us?

Does the US need to fashion a broad, integrated plan to stop the next generation of terrorists? The US is putting relatively little effort into a long-range plan, but we are putting a great deal of effort into trying to stop terrorists. The cost-benefit ratio is against us! Our cost is billions against the terrorists' costs of millions.

Do we need a new organization?

How do we stop those who are financing the radical madrassa schools?

Is our current situation such that "the harder we work, the behinder we get"?

It is pretty clear that the coalition can win in Afghanistan and Iraq in one way or another, but it will be a long, hard slog.

Does CIA need a new finding?

Should we create a private foundation to entice radical madradssas to a more moderate course?

What else should we be considering?

Please be prepared to discuss this at our meeting on Saturday or Monday.

Thanks.

By V.v. on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 12:06 pm:

Donald has a tiger by the tail.

By semillama on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 02:29 pm:

truer words were never spoken.

By V.v. on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 05:50 pm:

Sem,so how do you and me save the world (again)...dont this make you feel like Flash Gordon?i just hope the C.I.A. are watching this!coments!coments!

By V.v. on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 06:24 pm:

Allthough i had a problem with the K.G.B. about 15 years back,i think we can learn a lot from them.,In fact i know how to beat terrorists on the cheap,if you need to know more,just ask.Respect.p.s.i just hope you dont ask about my run in with the the K.G.B. 15 years back.

By V.v. on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 06:40 pm:

For your own wellbeing,dont mess with the K.G.B.,they will kill you if they regard you as a foe. They still exist.

By wisper on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 06:45 pm:

what's your favourite kind of pizza, V.V ?

mine is what Pizza Pizza calls "Mediterranean Vegeterian".

It has regular mozzarella cheese, feta cheese chunks, sundried tomatoes, grilled zucchini, black olives, red onions and broccoli.

I didn't think i'd like it when i tried it, but it's really amazing.

sweet! you can order online!

By patrick on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 06:52 pm:

i wonder if Pizza Pizza is owned by little Cesars seeing as how thats their logo.

i bet it is.

my favorite pizza is from a local pizza shack. Sloppy NYC style with fresh basil and american style bacon and feta. who haw!!!

By Rowlf on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 06:58 pm:

nope.

Pizza Pizza's been around quite a long while actually. perhaps as long as Little Caesars...

By spunky on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 07:02 pm:

Fucking best pizza on Earth.

I hate to say it, but Pizza Slut ruined their pizza when they started using whole onion slices instead of diced onions and fresh mushrooms instead of canned.

ANd then started sprinkling spices on top.

By spunky on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 07:09 pm:

I'll bite, V.v., what happened with the KGB 15 years ago?

By semillama on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 08:03 pm:

I've become a convert to Papa John's.

If you come to Ohio, stay the hell away from Donato's - worst pizza-chain pizza ever.

By V.v. on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 08:39 pm:

Spunky,if i told you,id have to kill you,i say again,dont mess with the K.G.B.i was lucky to escape with my life.

By V.v. on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 09:02 pm:

PIZZA?in London i got Pizza Hut,its shit,but its DEEP PAN,so thats got to be good,right?but it still tastes like cardboard.Just wish i could cook,i got this 30 foot long kitchen,and i dont know how to use it.It looks too much like the bridge of U.S.S. Enterprise.

By TBone on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 09:19 pm:

I'm a papa johns addict. Thin crust. With the little spice shaker.
    They never ever take the coupons. I had a free pizza coupon I used 3 or 4 times before I lost it. I know if I claimed I had it now, they'd ask for it.
    Hmm. I know what I'm eating tonight.
    Bacon, Tomatoes, Mushrooms.

By kazu on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 09:29 pm:

By Nate on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 09:47 pm:

this is probably the best pizza i've had.

you been to pizza express, v.v.? i thought that was pretty good.

By wisper on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 10:20 pm:

d00d, Little Ceaser's wishes they owned Pizza Pizza! I don't know what they're like there, but Little Ceaser's here are all sad little places in the worst of locations, they can't even afford mall food court space.
    All anyone wants out of them is the Crazy Bread.

Pizza Pizza has sprawling, magestic orange and white villas of yum. Some are 2 or 3 floors. Pizza Pizza is a well-oiled machine.

You'll see one in the background of many movies that have been shot in Toronto. Like in Half Baked, for example.

By V.v. on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 10:31 pm:

Nate,pizza express is is real cool,but pizza hut tastes less like cardboard than most.

By heather on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 11:01 pm:

i've had zachary's, but the place in greek town in detroit with "chicago" pizza is the BEST EVAR

By V.v. on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:57 am:

Are we talking Greek pizza?sounds awesome!Just wish i had a mouthfull right now.

By Nate on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 01:06 am:

oh man, you don't want to know what ran through my head when i read that.

By sarah on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 01:09 pm:

some of the best food i've ever eaten is served in various restaurants in greek town in the d. can't say i've had the pizza though.

hey when y'all come to town for sorabjifest 2004 i'll take you The Parlor. this dingy punk rock pizza joint w/ great pizza that takes like a year and half to get after you've ordered it, and the best jukebox *ever*. can't even find the place unless you know where it is because the windows are blacked out and there's no sign.

By TBone on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 01:35 pm:

The hut is bad. A pox on the hut. The pizza of choice among the college crowd here is Pizza Pipeline. They're cheap, you get free drinks, and their cinnamon Tricky Sticks are rockin'.
    But their pizza eats me back. Hurts me bad.
    And in terms of Papa Johns, I only like the thin crust. The regular is blah.

By kazu on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 08:05 pm:

My bestfriend is doing some freelance work writing restaurant reviews in Detroit.

By V.v. on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 09:01 pm:

And throwing up a lot?

By kazu on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 09:06 pm:

fuck you.

By V.v. on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 09:53 pm:

Your spelling is incorrect,"Fuc u" is a popular family name in Cambodia,just as Smith or Roberts is in America or Europe.I like to think you are proudly stating your your true title,and if that is what you wish to be known as,its cool by me :)

By V.v. on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 10:01 pm:

...Allthough you may not get invited to many dinner partys :)

By spunky on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 10:38 pm:

that was unexpected, kaz

By kazu on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 10:50 pm:

Perhaps. I probably could have asked what he meant. I can only imagine wierd things, but we throw the fuck you around so often and Vv is so...so...you know how water rolls off of a duck's back...well imagine if the duck took the water and gave it back to you mixed up with some pine-needles, floating derbris, mud, tadpoles, lilipads, and so forth, until it was reconizable, but only barely so...that's kind of what I expect from Vv so I thought I'd give my initial reaction which only lasted about 15 seconds since, well it's Vv. and just see what happened.

By kazu on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 10:53 pm:

And I don't know what you mean by "fuck you" being my real title. I think you are teasing me, but maybe you think I'm a bitch. My friend once told me that there are two kinds of faces women wear, one is the "fuck me" face and the other is the "fuck off" face.

By dave. on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:13 pm:

wait, there's a "fuck me" face?

By kazu on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:15 pm:

sure. most men just never see it on the women they actually want to fuck.

By V.v. on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:22 am:

Dave,yes there is,but its not the face,its the dark circular aperture at the centre of the iris of the eye.When it expands greatly,your in.No Woman can control the expansion of her pupils.

By V.v. on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:24 am:

...Unless they wear shades.

By V.v. on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:38 am:

...Like Kazu.

By Nate on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 01:08 am:

uh, vv, that dialation of the pupils thing is probably from the rufies you feed your dates.

i prefer the 'fuck me' ass with dripping wet flesh beard to any 'fuck me' face.

By eri on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 01:35 am:

"the 'fuck me' ass with dripping wet flesh beard"

Now that is a classic Nate. I am going to have to remember that one......

By spunky on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 09:19 am:

Now, when it comes to eri wanting me, I think she can attest to the fact that sometimes I am slow to take a hint.
    But, I feel fairly confident in saying that I would catch on sometime before she was shoving
    "the 'fuck me' ass with dripping wet flesh beard"
    at me.........

By spunky on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 09:23 am:

And another thing, that is one of the problems with women.

A man being horny is as natural as,

well,

Water being wet.

Women have become the master of disguises, and unless they have decided to inform you, you could never tell they were in the mood.

By eri on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 11:20 am:

Sure you can tell. You just have to pay attention to it, and wonder if the nudity is just for the sake of nudity or if something else is wanted. Why are they going to bed alone? Looking for company? There are tons of cues. Hints. Flirts. You just have to acknowledge them.

By V.v. on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:08 pm:

Or stroking the stem of there wine glass,up and down,up and down.

By V.v. on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:15 pm:

At the back of a bar,the wall often has a mirror,and in this you may see your girl admireing your ass.

By V.v. on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:19 pm:

Also look at there feet,under the table.If one or both feet are pointed at you,you may be in luck.

By Nate on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:36 pm:

plus, while you're down there under the table, you can take a peek up her skirt.

because if you're a creepy motherfucker, that's the most action you're getting.

knowing when women are horny is one thing. caring is a completely different matter.

By V.v. on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:44 pm:

Nate,if your so "careing" how come your allways so pissed off?

By kazu on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:46 pm:

It's because cares so much.

*sigh*

plbbbth

By heather on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:52 pm:

men seem to think things about women all the
    time, such as, said woman "wanting" them.
    strangely enough, quite often they are wrong.

By V.v. on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:56 pm:

Pissed off=celibate.

By spunky on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 03:11 pm:

See? thank you for making my point heather.

We (well, I don't, anyway) think about women wanting me, I think about wanting them (well, eri anyay)

By dave. on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 11:23 pm:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact