college

sorabji.com: Do you have any regrets?: college
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Jen on Tuesday, March 3, 1998 - 11:25 am:
    well...as a matter of a fact i do. one thing on my mind right now is the fact that i have not completed my education. sad but true it has been a factor in more than one opportunity and it has been weighing heavily on my mind for years. it's not too late but boy am i lazy. the energy it takes to get back into the school system. i dread it but regret it at the same time.

By Jeffrey Scott Holland on Wednesday, March 4, 1998 - 08:26 am:
    My only regret is that I ever bothered with college in the first place. Going to college does not "complete one's education". If you want an education, READ! Go to the library. Or use the internet already. The superstition that has evolved around the diploma is even more evil than that of organized religion.

Well, maybe not *that* evil. But it's close.

By Pete on Wednesday, March 4, 1998 - 09:03 am:
    1. Jen: Let's say you are 30 years old now. In 4 years (or 6, or however long it takes you...) you will either be a 34 year old woman with a degree or a 34 year old woman without a degree. I say that you should go for it if it bothers you.

2. Jeffrey: You have a good point and one I agree with (Take note Jen)...after 6 years spent at 3 different schools, I am the proud owner of a BS degree in Marketing -- and BS is the right term for the value of this degree. I have a friend who dropped out of college after 2 years to take an entry level job with the government. He now makes more than 2X what I make and is attending night school to get his degree. So, I guess the morale is that you DON'T NEED a degree to get ahead in this world. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't. In my case, it didn't.

By Sugarbaby on Tuesday, March 17, 1998 - 12:08 am:
    I myself waited a year after I graduated, then went to college. I took that year to decide what the hell to do, and to get away from school. I went to Boston. Going there I just ran into more complications, all my friends were MIT, BU, and Tufts students! And I lived with 2 proff. (one at MIT and the other at Boston U.! Dont get me wrong, Boston is place to go to if your looking to get an education, but I was there to have a good time! I guess I felt guilty not going! And I believe that one HAS to have an edu. to servive these days.
    Anyway, Im in school now, and Im flunking 2 classes. All I have in my mind is leaving school and living life. Having fun. Moving back to Boston. There are millions of things for people to do.

The main thing to ask yourself is "Are you happy?" Whats in a degree but a piece of paper saying you can work at a certain place? Alot of people get degrees because of $. Good reason. Alot of people are pressured into school by there parents. These people will lead dull lives because they didnt do what they want. And the students are there because they have no idea what the hell they want and drink their parents' $ away.

Now, socioty today will look up to people with an education, no matter what the hell it is. You could be making $5.25 an hr. studying grass grow and they wont care. But if your working for a.....lets say.....a delivery service and making $10.00 an hr. more then likely they'll still look sort of kind of down on you. Thats how I felt in Boston anyway. Whenever somebody asked me where I was going to school and I said I wasnt(I was a nanny) they looked down on me. (I could just tell from the looks and vibes from people) Even tho I was making way more money, staying in a mansion, and taking trips to the Carribeans. Its all screwed up like that. So now, Im thinking about going away for awhile and putting school on hold.

I hoped that I helped you in any way!

By Me too on Saturday, May 9, 1998 - 08:07 pm:
    a real school with real teachers who give real advice about things that aren't in the books is good. otherwise the martin eden thing is fine.

By Veggie on Monday, June 22, 1998 - 12:26 am:
    well as a female with a bachelor's degree in 1998 you will still statistically make less than a white male high school dropout. learn for learning's sake if you have that luxury (few do). a degree doesn't mean much these days. sorry to be a downer. what i mean is don't learn to get a job..it's an american myth these days. life experience is much more valuable. go to school if it is what you want to do, but think about it more if you are doing it because you feel that you have to.

By Frau bliznich on Monday, June 22, 1998 - 01:03 pm:
    that's bullshit. stop spreading this crap. you're only adding to the problem.

the average difference is 25-33% less for equally skilled female workers. this sucks, but claiming wild statistics like yours only pisses off people.

it's like nancy reagan telling kids that pot will kill you after making your testies shrink to almonds and fall off. the parts obviously not based in reality make the whole message defunct.

By Veggie on Monday, June 22, 1998 - 03:01 pm:
    hey frau...do some research. wish it was a wild statistic. think about the average high school male dropout..construction, factory work etc. do you know how much money these people make? i graduated magna cum laude...i am below the poverty line. granted, this isn't the case for everyone in either situation. but seriously, not being sarcastic, do some investigating. not sure where the nancy thing ties in. i try not to quote her statistics. she is creepy.

By Veggie on Monday, June 22, 1998 - 03:01 pm:
    hey frau...do some research. wish it was a wild statistic. think about the average high school male dropout..construction, factory work etc. do you know how much money these people make? i graduated magna cum laude...i am below the poverty line. granted, this isn't the case for everyone in either situation. but seriously, not being sarcastic, do some investigating. not sure where the nancy thing ties in. i try not to quote her statistics. she is creepy.

By Nate on Thursday, June 25, 1998 - 03:59 am:
    if you graduated magna cum laude and are below the proverty level you obviously lack something.

you're obviously talking about a specific demographic. i don't know any boy who dropped out of highschool to work in a factory.

By Kelsey on Thursday, June 25, 1998 - 03:24 pm:
    wwwwelllll, howdy doody! welcome back nate! how's the new house?

By Antithesis on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 03:31 am:

On a nearly completely different note, my big regret is also leaving college. Not because I'm "not getting an education," (bullshit, etc.) but because it was the one event that I can trace all the shit in my life to. If I hadn't left school, I wouldn't have moved to a tiny hick town, found a job that I like too much to leave, but still can't stand, and had a disastrous engagement to an insane would-be Martha Stewart.

Word: Always do what makes you happy.

By Jay on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 08:23 am:

yeah, always do what makes you happy, as long as it doesn't harsh anyone else's gig.
    do positive and avoid affecting anyone else's life in a negative manner. so much trouble in the world, don't add to it just for your own enjoyment.
    college for me was hard. there were times during those days when i wanted to quit or commit suicide. it felt like graduation would never come. a diploma was some sort of illusion meant for real people.
    then one day i was done. it was like holy shit! i'm fucking done with college. all that time and effort and pain and shit had finally come to an end. when i finally got my diploma i just looked at it, unbelieving.
    i graduated about 6 months ago and it already seems a lifetime away. that degree led to my dream job, where i sit now, and a whole life change for the better.
    word: put up with college if it sucks, it's worth it.

By Nate on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 09:45 am:

shit. if college sucks you're not taking the right drugs.

By Jay on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 10:11 am:

i don't know if i took the right drugs in college. i just took all the drugs.
    I'm now whining, college didn't suck all the time. it just got frustrating sometimes. plus my classes were a little tougher than those required for a liberal arts of psychology major. not putting that shit down, i'm just saying studying the underlying themes of Cool Hand Luke is a little easier on the constitution than trying to make 2-methyl-1,3-propanediolcyclohexanol from methyl alcohol and a bag of doritos.

By J on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 11:24 am:

This is getting good,what do you do Jay?

By Isolde on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 03:30 pm:

Have we seen this Antithesis before? Just in case: Fuck you, you ass! (Welcome to Sorabji.)
    Did you know that Martha Stewart arrests people attempting to photograph her driveway? This makes me deeply unhappy.
    Going back to college is always an option, I suppose. Just don't go to the East Coast. (That _is_ where Martha Stewart lives, right?)

By Jay on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 03:30 pm:

I'm a marine biologist so i have a biology degree.
    required a lot of pain in the ass classes with long, impressive names.

By Dougie on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 04:03 pm:

I went to the beach yesterday, but I hate laying there baking in the sun. I spend all the time in the water. The waves were great yesterday, made for good body surfing. Gotta get me one of those boogie boards.

By Nate on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 04:11 pm:

shit.

plus my class were a little tougher than those required for a liberal arts, psychology or BIOLOGY major.

By Cat on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 04:17 pm:

I always liked biology, but it never really impressed me. Kind of like some men I've known.

Somehow Jay I had you figured as a bum doctor...what's the name for someone who knows all the shit about colons?

By JusMiceElf on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 04:44 pm:

An asshole? As they say, it takes one to know one.....

By Isolde on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 04:49 pm:

Proctologist.
    And I was going to go swimming today, but it suddenly looked very uninviting. Maybe because the fog rolled in just as I got naked. And as cold as the Pacific is, it feels even colder when it's foggy.

By Jay on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 10:50 pm:

a bum doctor. thats funny.
    i promise never to bring a sorabji conversation around to the topic of anything anal ever again.
    should i just say my goodbyes now?

By Nate on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 11:32 pm:

uh. don't go anywhere, prick.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 01:34 am:

The most fun drug I did in college was nutmeg. I was stoned for three days... One dose... Tasted like shit... I haven't taken LSD yet. I have to do that before I hit the big three oh.

By Zephyr on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 01:08 pm:

Hmm. I've considered doing nutmeg, but I've heard from people that the trip sucked, and that all they got out of it was an insane 3 day hangover, vomiting, etc.

But this provides some new insight.
    Did you use powder, or a whole nut?

By Dougie on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 01:36 pm:

Nutmeg? Like the stuff you sprinkle on eggnog? I thought that was an old wives' tale that you could get high from that.

By Bell_jar on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 01:45 pm:

i had never heard that you can get high on nutmeg. the things you learn on the internet.

By TBone on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 01:49 pm:

I wonder what's in nutmeg that might do such a thing...

By Dougie on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 01:58 pm:

Christmas cheer

By Zephyr on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 02:02 pm:

Um, there's an oil in it which supposedly has mild hallucinogenic properties similar to those in gonja...i forgot what it's called, but just do a search on google for nutmeg and drugs and hallucinogens and erowin and you'll get a truckload of info.

I originally found out about it when I was going through an herb book of mine, it was quite surprising, especially because there was a whole nutmeg in the herb cabinet downstairs...right.

Anyway, I did my research and asked local drug aficianados and checked out message boards and sites, and despite the hallucinogenic properties, the nut supposedly has poisonous characteristics as well that will override the trip experience. I think that the oil in it has a chem. similar to mescaline or something, or is that morning glory seeds? who knows.

All I know is that nutmeg and morning glory is LEGAL.

By droop on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 02:36 pm:

the oil is called myristicin. i'm not sure what other drug it's similar to. i do know that if you manage to get enough of it (few people can manage to ingest enough nutmeg to pull this off) it can cause convulsions, rapid heartbeat, and death.

somewhere in the back of "naked lunch", burroughs suggests sticking a nutmeg kernel in your mouth and sucking on it for a buzz. we used to do that in high school - nothing to write home about.

when my mother worked at a mental hospital, the doctors told her not to let the patients (like the heroin addicts) have powdered nutmeg, which they would mix with water and drink and drink to get a high.

jamaican nutmeg is supposed to be high in myristicin.

By Zephyr on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 02:47 pm:

What kind of high does myristicin provide?
    I've heard varying reports...from psychedelic effects to being stoned...that is, from the few that weren't hung over enough to miss out on anything.

By droop on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 02:53 pm:

i used to get a mild, light-headed buzz - sort of like a mild marijuana high.

here, read this.

By Jay on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 03:47 pm:

i don't understand all these people wanting to try goofy shit cause it might get them high. a good hit of acid is like $3. why fuck with shit that's going to make you feel like hell for three days or possibly kill you. thats like drinking rubbing alcohol or listerine to get drunk.
    if you're really on the natural kick head over to your local cow pasture for some shrooms. they're the best anyway.
    and if you still want to try something goofy to get high simply because it's legal. you've got no business doing drugs in the first place.

By Isolde on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 03:53 pm:

You feel like shit, though. It's really not worth it. Plus, that shit's expensive, and why do nutmeg when I can get dope for free?

By Zephyr on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 04:23 pm:

True. True indeed.

Yeah.

I better start mooching gonja off people.

By Zephyr on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 04:56 pm:

Right. This all makes me look like a fool.

By droopy on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 05:04 pm:

all drugs are kid's stuff.

do what i do.

drink.

By Dougie on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 06:09 pm:

Right on droopy. Booze is the adults' drug. I've been abstemious lately, but tonight I'm already on my 3rd Bud, and that bottle of Tanqueray in the cupboard is looking mighty tasty.

By NZA on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 06:28 pm:

I like the word abstemious.

My grandfather was a sailor, and all his references praised his abstemious nature. I guess that's unusual among sailors.

By Isolde on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 07:54 pm:

Drink is better. I agree. But _were_ I to be suddenly obsessed with the need to ingest a spice associated with Christmas, I would remember that I can get dope for free.
    But I think I want egg nog instead, because I can slip a good hearty dose of...alchohol into it.

By Fetidbeaver on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 08:41 pm:

We had a dumbass in high school who went around telling everyone that you could get high by rubbing crest toothpaste on your cigarettes.

By Isolde on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 09:09 pm:

And you did it, didn't you...I bought a huge bag of Astronaut Pops today. Eating one now. Yum.

By Jay on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 10:35 pm:

i had a friend who once smoked love bugs....oh christ haven't i been here before?
    can you feel the love bugs everyone loves love bugs how could you not love lovebugs when they're so in love bugs.
    stupidest thing i ever did was inhale the smoke from an incense stick.
    well, maybe not THE stupidest.

By J on Wednesday, July 12, 2000 - 01:26 am:

Jay,put those love bugs down and get a grip!!!

By TBone on Wednesday, July 12, 2000 - 10:45 am:

So, what happens if you sprinkle weed on your eggnog?

By Antithesis on Wednesday, July 12, 2000 - 06:37 pm:

You get eggnog with little bits of plant matter in it. Ick.

By Isolde on Wednesday, July 12, 2000 - 07:14 pm:

Well, the question is: why would you want weed on your eggnog? Nutmeg is added for flavour, not for its hallucinogenic properties...

By Jay on Thursday, July 13, 2000 - 12:25 am:

i had some chai tea tonight. good shit. tastes like pumpkin pie.

By Kelly on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 11:31 am:

My only regret is not buying a pristine 1969 baby blue Volkswagen squareback in 1993 for $1,000. I thought about it too long and the next day, it was gone.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact