not being close enough to help

sorabji.com: Do you have any regrets?: not being close enough to help
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By eri on Wednesday, April 7, 2004 - 07:11 pm:

OK, so most of you have seen my previous and somewhat sparse posts about my cousin L in Cali and the woman who is her landlord/mentor (the one with the cancer in her lymph nodes).

Well, major shit happened out there. B (landlord/mentor) has a son who is a worthless piece of shit who has been living there and was getting close to his kick out date. He took his wife to the laundromat and came back really fucking drunk. I wouldn't be suprised if he was on more than booze, too. He storms in and starts yelling at B cussing her up and down, so L sat in the living room for moral support. He started in on L, but she kept quiet, not wanting to make the situation worse for B. Until he touched her face. She twisted his hand away and told him not to touch her. He did it again, and she did it again. This happened three times. Then he came at her with fists flying. She held her own. I guess he got to the point where he realized he wasn't going to beat her down. So he got his knife.

He had her on her knees, face first into the floor. Her 9 year old daughter saw the whole thing.

He cut all the cords to all of the phones, and broke the cordless so that they couldn't call for help.

B was having a heart attack, and he wouldn't let them call for an ambulance. They finally got to the point where he let B get a nitroglycerin patch, but then they had to barricade themselves into B's bedroom and had to stay there until he left, which was sometime the next day.

The neighbors did not call the cops, cuz they were afraid it might make B mad since it was her son (fucking idiots) and the whole time B was praying that someone would call the cops.

This freaks me out and royally pisses me off, but there is nothing I can do to help, cuz I am too far away.

If he were to show up drunk again, there would be no way I could get there in time to get the cops and get them out, cuz I am in TX and they are in Cali.

My aunt never dreamed this would be what L's life was like when she was gone. It kills me to know how hard L has worked to make a life for herself and her daughter and this is the life she ends up with?

I want to go to Cali with a Uhaul, pack up her shit while she is at work, throw L and her daughter in the truck and drag them out here, but I can't.

I guess I feel helpless, when it comes to making sure that my closest family member is allright. Especially knowing that no one else out there in Cali gives a shit if she lives or dies.

By TBone on Wednesday, April 7, 2004 - 07:38 pm:

That's awful. I'm sorry.
    They didn't call the cops once he left?

By Anitgone on Wednesday, April 7, 2004 - 08:09 pm:

Call them. THey can see the cords cut, the place in shambles, and any injuries L has sustained.

Call the cops. If your cousin won't do it, you can still do it. If B has done something that extreme he may have a record. You can start building a case against him, at the very least.

Call the cops!

By patrick on Wednesday, April 7, 2004 - 08:19 pm:

at the very least file a police report. that way there is record of the incident. a police report is nothing but a formality but acts to document the incident (potential evidence, even if it is circumstantial).

moreover, you have to think about the 9 year old. if your cousin wont stand up for her and get that little girl out of that situation, who will?

Please please please please call the cops eri. If your cousin can't do it, do it for her. Call the cops, get in touch with the neighbors, instruct them to call the police any time something is supiscious.

By eri on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 12:01 pm:

It happened a little while ago so I am afraid it is too late to call the cops. I dunno. I mean, "hi I'm from Texas and I heard this story of what is going on in Hawthorne and it has got me worried."

I did tell L that although she says it's safe and to trust her, I'm not there to see that it is safe, has nothing to do with trusting her, and if ANYTHING REMOTELY CLOSE to this ever happens again, I am going to be there with the Uhaul (and I may call on southern cali sorabjites for packing or loading help) with a truck and she won't have a choice cuz I will take her here whether she likes it or not, even if I have to bring B with. I know that she will still tell me if anything happens cuz I am the only family she has that bothers to care. She's like my twin though you wouldn't know it by looking at us. She won't hide anything from me cuz she has no one else she can talk to. Anyone out there would tell her it is her own fault for not getting another apartment sooner, or something and just try to take M away from her and leave her there.

By J on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 12:32 pm:

Have her file an Order of Protection against the creep or a Harassment Restrainging Order,then when the f**ker gets anywhere near her place,he can be arrested.

By patrick on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 01:40 pm:

no. its not too late to call the cops. its never too late to file a police report.

you understand, we arent suggesting you call the cops so they will come and arrest the fucker. you file a police report so there is some sort of official document of the incident. they might even have advice for her. and yes. who gives a shit you are in texas. the police wont.

you have to file a police report. tell her, that if she doesnt do it. you will. if she doesnt undersand the necessity, then you will. there's a 9 year old child here, and that should be the most important point of taking any kind of action.

not get all dramatic and shit but the next time.....someone could end up inthe hospital or worse.

By Antigone on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 02:45 pm:

It's not too late, as patrick says. You may be in Texas, but you're family. Anything you tell the poliuce can help in a prosecution. Do it, do it, do it. Call 'em, call 'em, call 'em.

Do it!

Call 'em!

By The Watcher on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 03:35 pm:

Amen!!!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact