I regret trying to buy furniture from American Freight

sorabji.com: Do you have any regrets?: I regret trying to buy furniture from American Freight
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Thursday, August 9, 2007 - 03:11 pm:

A Cautionary Tale

So, Kazu and I decided to buy a pair of chests of drawers using some of our wedding money. We looked around and found this place with lots of bargains, American Freight. We picked out the chests we wanted and we had them delivered that day. After I unpacked them, I realized they had delivered the wrong model of chest, so I went back and talked with them and pointed out the ones we actually picked out. Turns out the sales associate put in the wrong model number.

Now, with any business not being run by total incompetents, the story would have ended with the store picking up the wrong chests and dropping off the right ones. If this were that story, I would not be writing this post.

No, they didn't have the ones we picked in stock. Could we wait 2 weeks until more came in? I said that didn't sound good to me, so they did some figuring and said one week. Fine, I said.

A week passed and I called back. Of course, they couldn't get the chests, but call back on friday.
    I called back and the manager I was dealing with had the day off (after he had told me to call that day). Eventually I talked with him and he said that the chests would be in on the next truck, that friday.

I call back and he isn't there, of course. The first person said that the truck had arrived and my stuff should be on the delivery truck. I waited a couple hours. No truck. I called back and the person said their delivery truck just left and they should be calling me. I wait a couple more hours. No Truck. I call back again and this time the person tells me that their truck never came in that day! By this time I am furious. I manage to get a hold of the manager I was dealing with and he tells me Tuesday for sure, they are getting a transfer.

I call this last Tuesday. By this time, it had been over three weeks. Well, it seems that the chests they requested went to a different store. But I should call back the next day, because the company vice president would be visiting and he was going to bring up this issue with him, and I would either have my chests or get a refund.

I call back.

The manager has the day off and won't be back until tomorrow. No one there has any idea of what is going on.

So, basically, American Freight has been screwing me for nearly a month. Friday I am going to the store and not leaving until I either have my money back or my chests delivered. I strongly advise anyone who is shopping for furniture to stay the hell away from American Freight.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:44 am:

That reminded me about Enterprise rent a car.....It pissed me off.

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:48 am:

Ok, sem, I will let anyone know about your experience..Oh, sorry lol, the other days ago, our neighbor wanted Comcast to disconnect their cable/internet and our was disconnected by accident. frustrated with the comcast for poor service, we decided to switch to at and t service.

By agatha on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 11:56 am:

I've never heard of American Freight. What was the outcome? Was there an outcome yet?

By semillama on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 01:40 pm:

No outcome yet. They told me they had to "play by the book" and they were going to treat my case as though I were a layaway customer, and their policy is that if after a month, you still don't have your order, you get a refund. So we're waiting until Wednesday. Then we get our money back, because frankly, I don't believe they're capable of procuring the furniture. Kazu doesn't even want them anymore, she's so frustrated by this experience.

So, on Wednesday, we'll know.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 01:10 am:

semillama, try the claim court , you can tell them that you wanted the refund, but, claim court can cost you fee.....

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 01:12 am:

Or ... take the wrong chest and throw it to the front window, get in and pick the right chest as you wanted, pick it up and run!

By Antigone on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 06:44 pm:

Man, if we lived in the same city I'd bring the minivan over, we'd pack those chests into the back, and dump 'em at their doorstep.

So there's nothing else to it: ya'll just have to move to Dallas.

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 01:52 am:

Antigone, I mean, throw the wrong chest toward the window, as break in, go in and get the right chest as you wanted, it ought to teach those jerk (worker) some lesson. and I shouldn't have left Dallas a long ago,but, it was my mother who I had a problem with her in the past.

By Antigone on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 01:54 am:

Shall we call Dr Phil?

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 01:16 am:

Dr Phil who?

By kazu on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 02:46 pm:

They are removing the dressers RIGHT NOW

By semillama on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 03:17 pm:

Well, I'm glad that's over with. Lesson learned, I guess.

By agatha on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 12:28 pm:

Are they nice?

By sarah on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 02:03 pm:

i haven't been around in a couple weeks... was hoping to have heard that Tig's baby arrived by now.

anyway, senor and i went to IKEA yesterday for the first time ever.

WHOA

it was a zoo!

we went there to look at beds. we didn't buy a bed for us, but we bought a crib for $100 and a crib mattress and a coffee table.

we also shared a plate of swedish meatballs.

the whole experience was really interesting. i understand the appeal of the prices, but i'm not sure i'd have the patience to, say, spend the day there redesigning a kitchen.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 08:48 pm:

Wow, it is better than American Freight?

By Antigone on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 05:39 am:

No arrival, almost a week overdue. We're inducing on Tuesday if there's no natural birth by then. We've had a couple of false starts, but nothing close to real labor yet.

By semillama on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 04:15 pm:

Have you tried putting your mouth to your wife's belly and yelling "It's ok to come out now, Gonzales just resigned!"

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 03:04 am:

LOL Semillama, I like the idea.

By semillama on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 02:39 pm:

Tomorrow, we are supposed to get our new furniture, a nice chest of drawers for me and a neat little kitchen table set. Now we can actually be adults and eat at a table instead of on the couch off of TV trays - although Henry the Pug may not like this new turn of events.

By kazu on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 03:58 pm:

How often do you really think we'll eat at
    the table when there is no company and Scrubs
    is on?

Although, Sunday's dinner and others like it
    would have been better on a table.

By J on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 07:23 pm:

Is that baby here yet Tiggy? Sarah how are you doing?

By droopy on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 07:51 pm:

i found out a little while ago that my sister is pregnant. i'm not supposed to tell anybody, but i guess i can tell you people. if it's a girl, my sister wants to name her sarah.

By semillama on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 03:07 pm:

We got our new furniture and had a nice meal on our new table, and I really like my dresser. I have finally been able to put all of my clothes away for the first time since I moved.

By sarah on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 11:29 pm:

isn't that a great feeling? i love the feeling of getting settled in to a place. making it feel like home. furniture makes a huge difference.

i'm doing okay. 32 weeks pregnant, feeling big as an ark. feeling really tired, sore back, sore legs and feet, headachy.

already having fun with my baby girl. when she pokes, i poke her back.

senor's supervisor at work threw us a baby shower this afternoon. we got lots of good loot.

we got a joanie jump up! very exciting!

and a tummy mat that looks like a little surfboard. i figure, i might as well impose my identity on her now, while i can. soon enough she'll be older and probably wanting to form her own identity. ingrate.

By The watcher on Saturday, September 1, 2007 - 06:40 pm:

not many people on this site reacently

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, September 1, 2007 - 07:39 pm:

What do you want me to do?

By lapis on Saturday, September 1, 2007 - 11:21 pm:

eh.

so much baby excitement! thanks for the updates, sarah and tiggy. a friend of mine, a waitress who works at the breakfast cafe down the street, is expecting too... moving house, selling her car, getting ready to raise her child with two female housemates (her partner lives in a different house)... a little bit crazy.

By Wisper on Sunday, September 2, 2007 - 06:49 am:

honestly i can't be bothered to post while the one-letter troll is still active. Yep, it's that simple and that sad. It's just gone on too long and shits up everything like an insect. For the past 3 years at least. God that makes me sad. I don't want to look at the "new messages" results anymore.

i think of posts but i don't post them.
    i think of starting a different board.
    i miss everyone.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, September 3, 2007 - 05:00 pm:

It is a good day today, went on the train, I smelled alot of different kind of perfume, I felt like I am doing a aroma therapy today.

By Watcher on Monday, September 3, 2007 - 06:02 pm:

yes

By moonit on Monday, September 3, 2007 - 06:28 pm:

ew. creepy.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, September 3, 2007 - 06:49 pm:

I don't know why I said that.

By semillama on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 11:04 am:

I know what you mean Wisper. Even just trying to ignore him doesn't work. And it does seem like he takes the fun out of communicating here.

I would like Patrick to post about his vacation though. plus the fact he's been taking photos of heavy metal bands - according to his flickr page.

By agatha on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 12:17 pm:

Agreed. Maybe we should try a more assiduous ignoring? It is difficult for me as well.

And I miss you, too, wisper.

By The watcher on Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - 06:49 pm:

it might be

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, September 5, 2007 - 01:37 am:

Semillama, who are you referring to?

By heather on Wednesday, September 5, 2007 - 02:32 am:

he is talking about v

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact