Mom

sorabji.com: Who are you?: Mom
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Linn on Thursday, November 20, 1997 - 06:11 pm:
    who am I??? I am the Mother, Mommie, Madre, the finder of lost shoes. I have been a Mother since I was 16 years old. My oldest child is 23... my youngest is 3. My 5 1/2 year old son is autistic. I do not travel, I do not go out, I do not speak to people... only doctors and insurance companys and therapists and teachers. I am no longer Linn... I am Kara's Mom or Ryan's Mom or Brenna's Mom. I read stories and make cookies and smile when I want to scream. I watch Beauty and the Beast and see the wisdom in Winnie the Pooh. I know all the songs from the Jungle book , I can make Christmas decorations from pop scicle sticks and glitter. I am the woman in the grocery store who has at least 2 kids in tow and looks so tired. I am the one who is molding the future... I am Mom.

By PF on Friday, November 21, 1997 - 12:33 pm:
    That's a pretty heavy composition. . . composite. May you have the strength that you need to carry on in style. Hats off to you, it's all true.

By Half on Friday, December 5, 1997 - 12:53 am:
    That Mom message scares me. Could she be the next person to take a high-powered rifle to a tower and reenact "The Tower of Doom?" Hmmm..... scary thought.

By Lenfant on Saturday, December 6, 1997 - 11:07 pm:
    Mom!
    I can't find my shoes!!!!!!!!!

By LonLee on Sunday, December 7, 1997 - 03:09 am:
    Been there, done that........but without as much to bear as you seem to have. God bless!!!

By Anne on Monday, December 8, 1997 - 04:57 pm:
    wow...I feel so many of the same things.When you said "i'm no longer linn," that really hit me..I feel like I'm sometimes in morning for my old self,my pre-children self.I'm glad she wrote that.It's good to know I'm not the only one out there feeling insane about being a mom.I love my daughter,I love being her mother. It's the hardest thing I do. It's the only thing I do,besides work fulltime,clean house,ect. Where did I go in the last 10 months? I've dissapeared.
    At least my daughter is well.

By Decrow on Wednesday, December 24, 1997 - 10:16 am:
    cool

By Jello on Monday, December 29, 1997 - 09:03 pm:
    COOL--currently the most overused word in the english language;;;everything is cool-- even the most uptight conservative establishment corporate ass-kissing small town college frat-boy jocks;;;a toys.r.us ad tells us that barbie shopping for new outfits is cool;;;the word is meaningless thanx to $90,000 per year generation-x advertising executives

By Unkewl on Monday, December 29, 1997 - 10:08 pm:
    This is at least the 2nd or 3rd cycle for cool as a slang term. It got coopted the first time, (remember Kool cigarettes) and it's just about worn itself out now. Wait 20 years or so, it'll be back. Maybe sooner. The cycles seem to be getting shorter...

By MILKMAN on Tuesday, December 30, 1997 - 02:35 pm:
    Your dumbasss shouldnt of had that many kids

By No on Monday, February 16, 1998 - 09:23 pm:
    Far out

By Golden Boy on Monday, February 16, 1998 - 11:23 pm:
    i feel i should be an advertising executive and make the new word of this generation...

djani...

Hey, get a load of that shirt, very djani!!!

it has spice folks...do we...

;-)

By Jennifer on Wednesday, February 18, 1998 - 01:06 pm:
    by the content of that message you seem more than just "mom"...

By Pat on Thursday, May 14, 1998 - 08:42 am:
    Well Mom ... Could you come over and clean my house for me ...work has been a bear...I put in 280 hrs last month and this fool marketing woman in Chicago has the nerve to say that I can increase my income if I increase my hours....I'm ready to have a breakdown now.....so Mom could you....I know you would cause that's how mothers are....
    It doesn't change because they grow up and leave the nest
    Pat
    Columbus Oh

By Kaitlin and Camerons mom on Sunday, June 7, 1998 - 05:48 pm:
    I am more than just mommy... I am the life preserver my child reaches out for when he feels he is drowning. I am the kisser of owies, the soother of bad dreams, the fixer of bicycles. I can cheer up rainy days and magically make seeds sprout into little green plants. To my child I am everything. I, for one, am proud to be moulding the future.

By Teiresias on Saturday, July 4, 1998 - 02:45 pm:
    all ***good*** mothers do everything that 'mom' does. praise them, thank them, be grateful for them.

jello is 200% correct.

By HaHa on Thursday, September 17, 1998 - 06:31 pm:

My names not Linn, I'm not a women, and ive never found a lost shoe or anything(I found $20 once when I was walk down the street, there it was just rolling along,wow!) I thought I had a point here but I guess not... Sorry.

By Slacker on Friday, September 18, 1998 - 04:14 am:

holy crap that's my twenty bucks.
    give it back.....linn you...... women.

By Kelsey on Friday, September 18, 1998 - 12:57 pm:

i believe it's possible to be proud of molding the future and still regretful of the life you could've had without your child. any woman who doesn't admit this to be true is lying, as far as i'm concerned. while i do not regret for a moment having a child, i can't help but think sometimes that my aspirations have been put on hold. maybe i am just looking for excuses, who knows. i think it may be possible to have a life and children, but it requires resources and an intense discipline that i don't seem to have. my daughter is the most important thing in my life, but she is physically and emotionally draining.

By on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 04:17 am:

Wow, someone's daughter better be getting her mom a good Mother's Day gift next time it rolls around.

By Draven on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 05:01 am:

Hey, how the hell did my name get posted on here???

By J on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 11:35 am:

And some mothers are bigger than others,this I know.I always wanted kids,I,m a sucker for a baby.Trouble with kids is they (at some point)start getting hormones and thinking they know more than you,and all of a sudden they are bigger than you.My son Ryan and some friends decided to go to Rocky Point yesterday A.M.,I tried to talk him out of it,but noooo they left at 5:30 A.M.(at least I talked them into taking some gallon jugs of water).At 8:12 A.M.,he calls from a friends cell phone,his girlfriends dumb-ass sister,who was driving her brand new jeep,decided to take a short cut off the road and flipped 4 times,totaled.If his friend hadn,t had a cell phone,God only knows what could have happened,they could have died a horrible death in the desert.They made it all of 67miles from our house.Now I,m worried about my oldest daughter,she went out of town too,I tried to talk her out of it,but she went and took my grandson.I know it,s not going to be any fun for him.Shes going to some party at a ranch,she kept saying something about some ugly guy named Maynard from the group Tool was going to be there.So I,ve got to worry until she gets home.So enjoy them while they are young,when they are little they step on your feet,when they get older they step on your heart.

By Agatha on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 04:18 pm:

ouch. i don't want to think about that, yet.

By on Tuesday, July 6, 1999 - 03:54 pm:

J....
    where did you say that party is??!

By J on Tuesday, July 6, 1999 - 06:03 pm:

It,s in a small town Cornvill,which is close to Prescott AZ,and they were supposed to be back yesterday.See what I mean Agatha?I,m worried,she has a class tonight,if I don,t hear from her by 9p.m. I,m gonna call the cops.Her boss,she works at a shop called Saints and Sinners in Glendale,his sister has a ranch in Cornvill.Thats where the party was.

By R.C. on Tuesday, July 6, 1999 - 07:28 pm:

How old is yr daughter, J?

If she's 18+/you ve just gotta let her do her thing. If she's a minor/then I say call the cops.

But if she's legally an adult/then can't you trust her w/the lessons you've taught her abt how to a woman in the world? She might not adhere to all the values you embrace. But she certainly shd know right from wrong/becuz you did yr job as a mother/right?

Are you afraid she's having (unprotected) sex/or afraid she's running w/folks who might hurt her or get her arrested? After a certain point/you really can't influence who yr kids pick as friends.

And not every kid who drinks or gets high is a 'bad influence'. Some of the smartest kids I knew in h.s. were serious potheads.

Anything short of physical danger isn't worth the worry. On the downside/she cd get kidnapped leaving work or getting out of her car to come in the house. Anyone cd. On the upside/how many people do you know personally who left this world that way?

Don't sweat the minor stuff. It'll make you prematurely gray. "This too shall pass."

Remember all the aggravation you caused yr parents at her age. They survived yr wild stage. So did you.

By J on Tuesday, July 6, 1999 - 08:16 pm:

Oh,R.C.,you made me laugh,I,m not worried about who she,s hanging with or what she,s smoking she,s 25 years old&she is her mothers daughter.I was just worried about them getting in an accident.She called me shortly after I posted that,and she got home last night but still I was kinda upset with her for not calling sooner.She has finally gotten old enough to appreciate me and after she turned 21,she always knew (she tells me)we smoke pot together,our code word is salad.The party at the ranch was a bust,Maynard wasn,t there and she said the only ones having fun were the little kids,then they camped out at Flagstaff.She told me they were going to Prescott,what if something happened and I thought they were in Prescott?Believe me I know my son has a bong in his closet that comes up to my hip.I would never treat my kids like my mother treated me,they got laws about that now.

By Dave on Tuesday, July 6, 1999 - 08:43 pm:

All right, wiseguy. Teach me you're trick. You know what I'm talking about.

By J on Tuesday, July 6, 1999 - 10:24 pm:

???

By Dave on Wednesday, July 7, 1999 - 07:47 pm:

!!!

By R.C. on Wednesday, July 7, 1999 - 07:59 pm:

Well, I'm glad she got home okay. But 25 is old enuf to know that if she's not coming home/she's gotta CALL. It's not abt kowtowing to parental authority at this stage of her life -- it's just plain ol' Respect. Becuz Mom's never get too old to lie awake at nite worrying.

By J on Wednesday, July 7, 1999 - 08:11 pm:

Right on!

By Cyst on Sunday, August 29, 1999 - 11:30 am:

I used to have a codeword for my new mommy friend. it was for when we'd go out with her cute baby son and we'd see some other woman with some wretchedly ugly infant or toddler. the word meant, "baby j. is so much cuter than that poor kid."

I can't tell you what it is in case I'm ever with my friend s. and run into you and your kids.

By Swine on Sunday, August 29, 1999 - 01:15 pm:

my friend lucien does that to skinny, awkward-looking women who have no ass.

he doesn't use any codewords, though.

By Gee on Friday, September 3, 1999 - 04:15 am:

Now that I own Little Swine, does that mean that I also own all of the Little Mom's he's collected over the years?

By Lenny on Saturday, October 28, 2000 - 02:28 am:

I feel dumbed down for having read all this. And my ass is asleep.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact