a pretty funny girl

sorabji.com: Who are you?: a pretty funny girl
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By veda on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 02:59 am:

so i went to an old 97s concert tonight. i had two tickets and there were three of us trying to get in (we thought that they would sell tickets at the door, but they were sold out). one friend decided to go home, but i was to the rescue.

i approached the man taking tickets and explained the situation. i asked him if she might just pay him and he would let her in. he smiled at me... that kind of smile... and he asked what he might get in return.

my response: uhh... we could make up a secret handshake.

his response: $25 - the ticket was supposed to be $15.

sick bastard, but it made me laugh that he thought he was going to get something more than a handy dandy special secret handshake.

anyway. the concert was great.

not that anyone really cares, but i move to new york in eight days.

By semillama on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 09:51 am:

Watch out for swine.

By veda on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 10:45 am:

that's one of my goals.

By patrick on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 12:16 pm:

"handy dandy secret handshake" wtf?

are you retarded?

i would have at least doubled the ticket price.

whats an "old 97s" concert?

By Spider on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 12:18 pm:

Old 97s are a band, Patrick.

By patrick on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 12:52 pm:

odd name

phonetically reminds me of the band name Angelic Upstarts (which is awesome in my book)

By cyst on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 03:01 pm:

my friend wants to go to the old 97's show here next week. they played my work once. somoene put them on a mix cd for me once.

hey, have you girls ever noticed that guys talk to you more when you're wearing a skirt? every day for the last week I've been carrying this book "cloudsplitter" around with me everywhere.

but only yesterday (the only day I wore a skirt instead of jeans) twice in the space of a couple hours random guys asked me about it.

the first one seemed for real. we talked about russell banks, atom egoyan, john brown, napoleon bonaparte. but the second was iffy. he stopped me and asked, "uh, how's that new, uh, [trying to read the cover through my fingers] russell banks? good?" he gave me a thumbs-up and shruuged.

"yeah, real good," I said and continued walking.

I kind of like being talked to about books. I guess I need more skirts.

By cyst on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 03:03 pm:

By Dougie on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 03:05 pm:

Wear mirrors on the tops of your shoes and you'll get even more guys talking to you.

By philip roth the dying animal on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 03:06 pm:

I was no longer in that phase of my life when I thought I could do everything. Yet I remembered it clearly. You see a beautiful woman. You see her from a mile away. You go to her and say, Who are you? You have dinner. And so on. That phase, when it's all worry-free. You get on the bus. A creature so gorgeous everybody is afraid to sit next to her. The seat next to the most beautiful girl in the world -- and it's empty. So you take it. But now isn't then, and it'll never be calm. It'll never be peaceful. I was worried about her walking around in that blouse. Peel off her jacket, and there is the blouse. Peel off the blouse, and there is perfection. A young man will find her and take her away. And from me, who fired up her senses, who gave her her stature, who was the catalyst to her emancipation and prepared her for him.

How do I know a young man will take her away? Because I once was the young man who would have done it.

By Kalliope on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 03:33 pm:

i only read patrimony by him.

his other books are good?

By cyst on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 03:50 pm:

he's america's best living novelist.

try sabbath's theater. or I married a communist. or the human stain. or portnoy's complaint. or zuckerman unbound. or the counterlife.

or goodbye, columbus. or letting go. or when she was good. or the ghost writer. or the anatomy lesson. or the prague orgy. or deception.

those are the only ones I've read so far. the first group is better. his later books are better than his early ones, before he found his voice, but "portnoy's complaint" is really funny.

By Philips Friend Daniel ssss on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 10:50 pm:

I try to help her but something tells me she must does this on her own, at least most of it. So, I guide her whenever needed, and feed her when she can't do that herself, and help her to the bathroom. Some of the time is just spiritual food, when she is empty, empty, empty. I just guide her to where the source is when she forgets. She forgets more now. And even in her forgetting, she can guide me too. That's the funny part: even when she is lying there dying she can help me. It is absolutely wonderful to be able to do this together I think, though it is sad.

By Bobby on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 03:10 am:

Were you wearing boots like that too?
    Methinks it was the boots.
    Although a survey I read found men were turned off by boots, were ambivalent about flats, and turned on by high heels.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact