betty fuckin crocker

sorabji.com: Who are you?: betty fuckin crocker
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By sarah on Friday, August 24, 2001 - 11:13 pm:

because i have no friends here, no job, and nothing better to do, i've been spending inordinate amounts of time doing yoga. i've also been using many of the tools in my tool box to fix things and assemble things. i had a 4-drawer filing cabinet delivered to my new apartment and i'm working on getting all my files together, once and for all.

also, i've spent a lot of time typing old recipe clippings (that i used to just stuff into a notebook) into my Master Cook recipe software thingie. it really rocks.

i came across this recipe that i adore, and i made it this afternoon (because tomatillos are nearly free here and perfect in texture and sweetness) and i had forgotten how much this one ROCKS.

Tomatillo Soup

1 tbs olive oil
    1 medium yellow onion, diced
    10 tomatillos, quartered and sliced
    4 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
    3 cups corn kernels (canned or frozen)
    1 can peas (or one cup frozen peas)
    2 15oz cans vegetable broth
    8 oz firm tofu, cut into chunks (optional)
    1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
    1 red bell pepper, diced
    3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced

Directions

In a large soup pot, cook onions, garlic, and 8 tomatillos in olive oil for about five minutes over medium-high heat. Add 2 cups of the corn, peas, tofu, 1/4 cup of the cilantro, and 1 1/2 cans of the broth. Bring to a boil. Tranfer to a blender and puree until smooth.

Wipe out the pot, and saute the red pepper, jalapenos, and remaining two tomatillos for five minutes in a teaspoon of oil. Pour the puree back in the pot. Then add the remaining 1 cup of corn, 1/4 cup cilantro, and 1/2 can broth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer on low for 15 minutes. Serve hot or cold.

By agatha on Friday, August 24, 2001 - 11:33 pm:

ohmygod, i am so making that this weekend. you rock, sarah.

ps- update your damn site.

By sarah on Saturday, August 25, 2001 - 04:30 pm:

let me know how you like it, agatha.

i don't feel like paying attention to my website much these days. actually, maybe i'll fix it up tonight or tomorrow. kevin's out of town for the weekend. he's mad that i didn't go to lubbock with him. i bailed at the last minute, figuring i'd feel better if i spent the weekend getting the final messy details of my new life here straightened out so that i can hit the job hunting thing full force on monday. i was seriously side tracked when my stuff arrived, and then pissed off about not getting that job i interviewed for.

anyway, today i made this recipe from Martha Stewart's Living, but i altered it a little. i haven't eaten it yet, but it appears to have turned out pretty good. i'm going to eat some for dinner, with a lamb steak.

Quinoa Spinach Bake

Ingredients

1 pound fresh spinach leaves
    1 tbs olive oil
    1 med yellow onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 tbs thyme
    2 tea rosemary
    1 tea crushed red pepper flakes
    2 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup uncooked)
    1 cup lowfat ricotta cheese
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Directions

Put a cup of uncooked quinoa in a small pot and cover with two cups cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a very low simmer and cover the pot with a lid. Quinoa cooks really fast, so watch it carefully. All the water should absorb, but the quinoa shouldn't be mushy.

Wash and dry spinach leaves. Chop them up finely and put in a bowl.

Saute onion, garlic, and spices in olive oil until onions are clear. Spoon into bowl with the spinach. Add the quinoa, ricotta, eggs, and season with salt and pepper.

Coat a baking dish with cooking spray or olive oil and put the spinach stuff in it. Cook it in the oven for 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees.

By Alex on Monday, August 27, 2001 - 12:24 pm:

what is quinoa? cos i think my mum would like that recipe and I have never heared of quinoa in the UK!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact