Deal-breakers

sorabji.com: Who are you?: Deal-breakers
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 02:21 pm:

Do you have any criteria that you consider "deal-breakers" in relationships (incl. friendships)?

For example, if I found out that someone I really liked:

1. hated the Thin Red Line
    2. hated the Simpsons
    and/or
    3. hated Tom Waits

they'd be out. (I'm talking about active, passionate hate. Nothing less.)

Because to me, hating any of these three things says something about their personality, and, well, the something isn't good. It doesn't mean they are sick evil bastards who deserves a fiery death (well...nah), but I'd know that they and I are just not compatible on a fundamental level.

So I'm wondering if you've got your own deal-breakers. Belief in astrology? Teetotalling? Love of rap?

By patrick on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 02:27 pm:

no.

By Spider on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 02:34 pm:

What about things that would make you look at your friends funny?

I'm trying to start a laid-back non-political conversation here....throw me a bone.

By eri on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 04:04 pm:

Deal breakers in relationships

1. cheating
    2. listening to country music
    3. checks out other chicks when with me

Deal breakers in friendships

1. lying or repeated dishonesty
    2. lack of courtesy
    3. not dancing (when out at a club)
    4. looking down your nose at me or other friends
    5. listens to country music (I hate that shit)

By semillama on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 04:04 pm:

Belief in Astrology makes me look at people funny. I mean real actual, on par with religion belief.

I am probably incapable of friendship with hardcore fundamentalists of any religion.

I can be friends with Republicans.

I have a hard time relating to people who don't really enjoy music. You know, people who listen to Meatloaf and Amy Grant.

By kazoo on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 04:39 pm:

I have a ton of these pet-peeve type things.

I can't think of any of the good ones, which goes to show how important they are.

I never used to think I could be friends with someone who reads comic books constantly...then I fell into the L-hole with one...so much for that.

Like Sem, I have a hard time relating to people who don't like music. I'd probably get along better with someone who really loved music that I don't care for than someone who really didn't get excited about anything [or only owned a couple of beatles and rolling stones (like my father)]. I do not get along with feminists who only buy music by women (for political rather than aesthetic reasons) If that's what they want to do fine, but if that's what drives their passion about music I won't be able to talk to them about it.

People who don't like the Simpsons really don't like me much. Same with Star Wars. They miss all the references.

By wisper on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 06:02 pm:

you know wo creeps me out?
    people who aren't funny.
    i mean they have no sense of humour. Or even people who try to be funny but fall real flat.
    Maybe that's realy obvious, but i find that most people who are REALLY funny are also really smart, because humour has a timing to it that takes brains and quick thinking.

So if someone isn't funny at all or has no wit about them, i can't bother with them.

I'm talking about Jay Leno fans, of course.

By Bigkev on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 07:13 pm:

1: ignorance
    2: prejudice (racial and sexuality, especially)
    3: infidelity

Three things that a friend of mine SHOULD have
    1: love for The Simpsons
    2: tolerance
    3: be able to understand that calling someone Analog is tantamont to calling them Stupid.

also if you can't laugh at yourself, you probably wont last very long in my company...

By Bigkev on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 07:13 pm:

Actually upon re-considering switch #1 and #3 in the fist group

By K on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 07:14 pm:

*first*

By agatha on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 07:28 pm:

I have a hard time with really Christian folks who think that their way is a given. Example: I play games with this woman online, and we have had these strange discussions where she asks me about my religious beliefs, etc. She didn't know what an atheist or an agnostic were. Now, she has me on her bulk email list, and in addition to getting all sorts of reality tv updates, I get tons and tons of extremely conservative Christian forward type emails. I find this particularly odd given that she knows how I feel about issues like this, and yet still doesn't even think twice about sending me this shit. To me, it's inconsiderate.

I work with a lot of people who are this way. It's like, they never even have stopped for a moment to examine the fact that some people don't think the way that they do. I can get along with folks like that on a surface level, but I could never be tight with someone like that.

By Nate on Monday, March 3, 2003 - 09:37 pm:

i hate people who have nipples.

By patrick on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 11:29 am:

see this thread has goten weird. i hate listing pet peeves as much as i hate citing favorite colors.

yet no one wants to talk about sex.

fuckin squares.

By eri on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 12:16 pm:

I don't have an issue talking about sex. I just don't want to see you bitching about too much information afterward!

By sarah on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 02:28 pm:

vegetarians. i simply cannot and will not tolerate dating anyone who is a vegetarian.

By sarah on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 02:29 pm:

also, men with a too-small penis. i'm sorry, but size does matter to an extent. i'm not saying just because it's a big one it's a good one, but pinky dicks just will not do.

maybe this should go in the latest sex thread.

By semillama on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 04:57 pm:

well, it sort of crosses over.

Besides, Patrick was talking about dick size and perspective in a totally different thread from the sex one, too.

By eri on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 05:36 pm:

Yes, size is important to a point. It can't be too small, but also, I hate the long skinny pencil dick thing. If it doesn't have any meat on it what is the point?

By patrick on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 05:46 pm:

ooooh boy.

By semillama on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 06:23 pm:

As long as we are critiquing genitalia, I can't stand big ol' droopy labias, ya hear me fellas?

By patrick on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 06:49 pm:

i encountered that once.

like...it was weird and stuff.i couldnt get over the idea of it swinging should a mild breeze catch her between the legs. strange indeed.

By eri on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 09:54 pm:

OMG that's funny. A mental image I totally don't need, but funny.

OK so you guys are freaking at women bitching about mens penises, but there has to be something about women that is a sexual requirement, other than having a vagina.

By dave. on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 10:08 pm:

having a pulse.

By Quincy ME on Tuesday, March 4, 2003 - 11:15 pm:

Not necessarily.

By Nate on Wednesday, March 5, 2003 - 12:03 am:

meat curtains.

By semillama on Wednesday, March 5, 2003 - 08:59 am:

ok, I also don't particularly like the extremes in boob size - flat won't cut it, and huge Pam anderson boobos wouldn't either.

By sarah on Wednesday, March 5, 2003 - 09:37 am:

meat curtains! fuck that's funny. my god i can't stop laughing!

By patrick on Wednesday, March 5, 2003 - 11:42 am:

there is a taco stand around the corner from my crib.

over the holidays my brother couldnt get over the fact that they have decoratively painted "Love Taco" outside the front door. In his Butthead-esq manner, we had to get a digital photo of it.

Nico just realized, thanks to me, what he was gigglign about the whole time with the phrase "love taco".

eri, if its wet and warm, it will do.

By eri on Wednesday, March 5, 2003 - 11:55 am:

You guys are too easy to please. Love Taco, that's great. I want a picture of that one, to go along with the "Do it at Mother's and Save!" sign out here.

By wisper on Wednesday, March 5, 2003 - 06:09 pm:

stink wallet

and one i'm less fond of is 'axe wound'

but like i said, stink wallet

By Dougie on Wednesday, March 5, 2003 - 06:16 pm:

I always heard "furry taco". I think that's from Howeird Stern. Axe wound and gash I've heard too. Never stink wallet though.

By Dougie on Wednesday, March 5, 2003 - 06:21 pm:

Dealbreakers:

1) No anal sex on first date.

2) Constant watching of that show, Trading Spaces, and the HGTV channel.

3) No anal sex on second date.

By dave. on Wednesday, March 5, 2003 - 08:37 pm:

i've heard hatchet wound but not axe wound. or stink wallet.

By semillama on Thursday, March 6, 2003 - 09:20 am:

my favorite term for the clitoris is "The little man in the canoe"

By patrick on Thursday, March 6, 2003 - 11:44 am:

stink wallet was introduced here, sometime ago. i remember. i remember wisper's taking to it. i think swine dropped that on us?

By J on Thursday, March 6, 2003 - 12:32 pm:

And when you handle the stink wallet you get the stink fingers.

By sarah on Thursday, March 6, 2003 - 01:08 pm:

i don't like stink wallet, it's dumb.

i was having sex last night and i somewhat inappropriately couldn't stop giggling because all i could think was "meat curtains".

and he was like, what's so funny?

but i couldn't say it, because he's pretty sensitive during the actual act of sex itself and might have been turned off just by the shock of what i was thinking about while we were doing it.

i can't remember what i said. something about being ticklish i guess.

meat curtains!!

By sarah on Thursday, March 6, 2003 - 01:09 pm:

oh, also i stopped by the video store on the way home from the gym and rented The Thin Red Line. i've never seen it before. didn't watch it yet, but i've got it for a week.

By wisper on Thursday, March 6, 2003 - 05:54 pm:

i got stink wallet because that's what my college room mates used scream at me if i didn't do the dishes.
    ;)

swine used to say 'ride the meat' or something like that. i forget.
    THATS what i used to say all the time, from him.

By patrick on Thursday, March 6, 2003 - 06:11 pm:

margret used to say meatmobile right?

hey fuck you margret!

ok? fuck you you fuckin fuck.

By sarah on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 11:33 am:

yeah, marge. eat hot fuck.

By patrick on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 11:38 am:

oh and....

fuck you cat.

ok?

you can suck a big fat one and fuckyourself all the way to fucksville because you suck you fucky suckface fuck!

By Dougie on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 11:49 am:

Cat don't come around here no more, malheureusement.

By eri on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 11:56 am:

Patrick, I thought you really liked Cat for some reason. That suprised me! I haven't seen or heard from Cat, R.C., or Dani for the longest time!

By semillama on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 12:10 pm:

That's why they are saying that.

They are really missed, I will say that. Especially since Cat, Margret and R.C. were some of the most insightful people around here. Ditto for Markus.

By Antigone on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 12:28 pm:

I don't think Cat will be coming around anymore.

By patrick on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 12:28 pm:

another cup of coffee for eri!

By Antigone on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 12:29 pm:

And, that's a shame.

By patrick on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 12:29 pm:

what gives tiggy?

By J on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 01:34 pm:

I miss them all and Droopy and Swine.

By Antigone on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 02:08 pm:

Dunno, patrick. You'll have to ask her.

By patrick on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 02:09 pm:

while im at it.

eat a big fat dick swine.

hear me?

heres to a big fat slugger down your esophogus you giagantic cockmouth.

that goes for you too droop.

By wisper on Friday, March 7, 2003 - 06:50 pm:

and crimson, pug, pilate and other trace.....

COME BACK!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact