i am you

sorabji.com: Who are you?: i am you
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By sarah on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 12:18 am:

By sarah on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 12:19 am:

btw, please don't fwd this link to anyone else, but if you do, PLEASE wait until after tomorrow, after i present it at the art exhibit. thanks.

By patrick on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 06:43 pm:

apparently I have a doppleganger.

His name is Patrick.

And he plays drums in the Black Keys

After looking at the pictures of him drumming, i have to admit its a bit fuckin weird as I could produce images of me drumming that are nearly identical, and the glasses, the jawline and body structure. though, his body structure looks like mine of about 5 years ago. still.

By wisper on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 06:49 pm:

and with those pics on the site you can pretend you met Beck!

i always thought you looked a bit dave grohl-ish.

By TBone on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 06:54 pm:

That was a cool movie, sarah.

By patrick on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 06:56 pm:

the dave grohl indeed.

a friend is actually tight with him and says even the manurism that we have in common are startling, the way we hold ourself and speak.

By Nate on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 07:04 pm:

very cool sarah. ballsy.

did you dish on how the presentation went yet?

By patrick on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 07:07 pm:

god damn it, why wont it load for me.

in the meantime, im watching this

By J on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 07:11 pm:

Wow,I tried to download that before Sarah,I guess I wasn't patient enough,that is awsome and the picture of you when you were little in the red with your hands at your face is sooo cute.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 07:18 pm:

I have the same name as some doofus drummer in a relatively well known L.A. death metal band

By patrick on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 07:25 pm:

very nice sarah.

some good cuts there.

By agatha on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 12:07 am:

I loved that. It made me weepy.

By sarah on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 10:06 am:

patrick, there are definite similarities overall, but i think you're better looking than that guy. you don't look like you're all strung out on drugs.

so, anyway, thanks everyone for the feedback! the actual event was really amazing. basically it was an art installation where 20 people were given about two minutes to do anything they wanted that answered the question "Who Are You?" the interpretations varied widely and almost all of them were really cool and/or funny and creative.

my video was unbelievably well received. there were like a couple hundred people in attendance. i sat in a high bar stool chair to the right of the stage where the big projector screen sat and played my video. afterward the whole place went crazy with cheering and applause. i just waved and smiled and walked off to the green room because i was too amazed to do anything else. it was a great experience.

after the whole show was over, a TON of people came up to me and told me how brave they thought i was, or how much they enjoyed the video. one guy who i've known cursorily for a while now actually said, "i had no idea you were so intelligent until i saw that." i wasn't sure how to respond to that one...

the best part was that being asked to do this gave me a chance to give my creative side a good lube job. since the virtual death of my personal website, i haven't had or made the opportunity to do many creative things. certinly i'm not writing as much as i should be.

i think i'm going to do more videos.

in other news, i'm typing this from this crazy futuristic computer lab at the Dell Executive Briefing Center in Round Rock Texas.

By kazu on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 10:22 am:

Sarah,

That is so awesome. I love hearing shit like that.

By semillama on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 10:40 am:

Holy crap, that was so good, sarah. Congratulations. I'd say I'm proud of you, but I always thought that was a weird thing to say to someone.

By J on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 10:56 am:

I don't think it's wierd Sem,what if you and kazu married and had little semzu's and they get all a's on their report card,or do something impressive? I'm proud of you Sarah

By kazu on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 11:17 am:

Semzu? That sounds like some kind of yippy lapdog.

little semzus and kazullamas

I always feel wierd with the phrase, "I'm proud of you," not with being proud of people as I am of Sarah. I don't know why.

The last time I went to the comic book store with Sem there was a dad there with his little girl; she was probably about 3-4 and he told her to pick one out and she picked something with a dragon on it even though he tried to get her to pick one of the girly comics. It was so cute and I looked over at Sem and thought, "that's going to be him someday."

By semillama on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 11:36 am:

except I would be encouraging her to read the one with the dragon on the cover.

By heather on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 11:48 am:

i can't make it work

grrr

By patrick on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 12:40 pm:

you gotta wait.

just wait heather.

heather?

just wait.

you have to wait.

"It was so cute and I looked over at Sem and thought, "that's going to be him someday." "

you know your kids will inevitably avoid anything you remotely designate as cool, right?

you know in Valley Girl, where the main chick walks in on her mom and dad doing yoga and later on he's smoking pot in the bathroom on her prom night?

yeah. eva will probably be a straightlaced and simultaneously annoyed by our kookiness.

although, i suspect there is a window of time...perhaps at three, or four. i think dave cited as such, saying he had hope for minute but then it turned to bubble gum. non-stop bubble gum.

By kazu on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 12:54 pm:

I realize that about pre-teens and teenagers. I think it starts around age 7-8. Hasn't Cleo started to, what did you say, "sass" you at home? Dave? Agather?

But there is that time when everything daddy does is cool. That was what was so touching about that scene in the comic book store.

By TBone on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 02:37 pm:

Agather. :)

By hetaher on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 04:43 pm:

i waited forever and then i got a tiny box of
    nothing

grr i say

By J on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 04:53 pm:

"grr I say" reminds me tommorrow is talk like a pirate day me hearties.

By Nate on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 05:12 pm:

right click on the link and choose "save target as" or whathaveyou.

By Ophelia on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 06:21 pm:

thats awesome, sarah. i loved the second swing picture, where you are sort of behind the swingset.

rock on.

By agatha on Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 10:57 pm:

Yep, she's in this phase where she alternates between sassing, making excuses, and apologizing. It's really odd.

She's starting the violin this year, did I mention that?

By kazu on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 11:52 am:

Okay, I finally saw the video. Awesome.

I'm in the tech center at school learning about iMovie as we speak and now I want to make something too. Maybe I will. It could help with an "issue" I've been dealing with lately.

I am going to be thinking about this all day. I need to come up with a theme.

Rock on Cleo. Agatha, I love hearing stories.

By J on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 12:22 pm:

Jesus that's about the age when Amee took up the violin,her recital was pure torture,if I did just somehow end up going to hell that would probably be the background music.

By Lapis on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 12:57 pm:

It takes time. I don't like hearing new musicians either, but on the other hand, think of what the teacher has to hear all day!

By sarah on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 01:50 pm:

what made her pick the violin? i have several friends who play fiddle and it rocks. go Cleo!

hey, why hasn't she posted in so long? she used to WAYD every now and then...

kaz, what's the issue? iMovie is fun and easy! it doesn't do some things i wish it did, but it works for fun and relatively simple movie projects.

By kazu on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 02:23 pm:

I need to do something that will help me out of this academic-brain-space that I feel trapped in.

I have a nagging insecurity about my lack of creativity and artistic talent. It's really not that big of a deal, just something that emerges from time to time.

By Spider on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 02:52 pm:

Sarah, my freaking workplace bans me from your webpage (says it's "ADULT"), and when I download the movie, I get just the audio. :~(

Kazoo, how did that art project you were working on come along?

This weekend I'm going to a knitting festival of sorts on the DC mall (if it hasn't been cancelled). I kinda don't feel like going, but I promised my coworkers I'd meet them there.

By kazu on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 02:57 pm:

Spider,

What art project? If you mean what I was doing this morning in the tech center, I was just making some stills from a video for a professor.

They came out okay considering the quality of the video.

By Spider on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 03:04 pm:

I meant the one....I don't know if it's a secret from *ahem* someone on this board.....the one you solicited our ideas for. I gave you links to those books on Celtic art......

By kazu on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 03:07 pm:

oh THAT art project. I couldn't get a hold of any stencils that I liked but I did paint him a mug and a thing to hold kitchen utensils in.

By kazu on Friday, September 19, 2003 - 03:08 pm:

oh and for the friends that I needed the swedish/nordic stuff for, I painted them some goblets with grapes on them.

By jack on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 10:45 pm:

sarah, does this still exist? i enjoyed it last fall and would like to see it again.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact