I present to you, your first black president:

sorabji.com: Who are you?: I present to you, your first black president:
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rowlfe on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 05:39 pm:

By wisper on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 08:03 pm:

can that guy be more perfect?
    He sounds like the Rock.
    I hear his voice and i think...."i wish to work for this person."

Harvard Law school!
    civil rights lawyer!
    constitutional law teacher!
    church-going left winger!

I want to vote for him.

By Sye on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 11:18 am:

I look at him and think of that Sade song...

"Smooth operata, smooooth operata..."

I like him. He's what I think a Democratic is and was in the truest sense of the word. Pushing general welfare and smiling at everyone.

By RC on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 03:27 am:

C'mon now -- where do you think you are?

You KNOW they'd shoot his ass a soon as he announced he was running for prez. This is America: Black Leaders Need Not Apply -- Or Else!

No! Let Obama become a Senator & stay alive. He'll do us a lot more good that way.

(And he did give a great speech.)

- RC

By semillama on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 10:22 am:

Yay! RC!!

stay please.

I like Obama. I agree that he should be in the senate for a while. Although a run for president in his late 50s after a distinguished senatorial career, maybe...

Plus, what a cool name.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 11:14 am:

I just worry about him getting corrupted in Washington.

He could run at anytime and win. And not just because he's black. He's got WAYYYYYY more going for him than that. His entire background and life story are the whole American dream package.

"You KNOW they'd shoot his ass a soon as he announced he was running for prez. This is America: Black Leaders Need Not Apply -- Or Else!"

you may be right. What does this say of the Republican Party? Isnt it time they openly came out and said "if you think this way, get the fuck out of our party?". That they don't scares me to think they might actually value these voters. There may be racist Democrats, but I can easily tell if its coming from the left, its from condescension and pandering, not outright hate and judgment and fear from these right ring Race Groupies who have no accomplishments of their own and therefore to feel better can only take pride in their race's history.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 11:31 am:

By patrick on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 12:54 pm:

By Spider on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 01:31 pm:

I felt a frisson of fear while I listened to Ted Kennedy speak last night -- do you think it's beyond the reach of the members of the current administration to arrange for Kerry's assassination should he be elected?

By semillama on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 01:48 pm:

They got Wellstone, didn't they?

By patrick on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 01:52 pm:

and blame ....Iran? yeah spider. total conspiracy paranoia. but as w.burroughs said 'paranoia is another word for hyper awareness' or something like that.

By Antigone on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 03:03 pm:

Spider used "frisson" in a sentence!

Meanwhile, I'm feeling my own frisson: I'm headed down to Crawford tonight for the 9/11 screening. :)

By semillama on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 03:22 pm:

SWEET!

Speaking of that, Drudge got a hold of the transcript of Bill O'Reilly's head to head with Michael Moore...

Note how O'Reilly keeps trying to duck Moore's question about sacrificing his child to liberate Fallujah...

By Antigone on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 07:24 pm:

Bah. I had a late meeting at work, so I can't go. The meeting was about my company probably closing it's doors tomorrow, so I don't really feel like driving 2.5 hours to Crawford in the rain, anyway.

Feh.

By Spider on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 07:36 pm:

That sucks, Antigone. I wish you good luck for the future.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 07:44 pm:

By RC on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 07:04 am:

You're right, Rowlfe -- even if Whitefolks would vote for him in droves, realpolitic would ruin him.

You really do have to sell your soul to the devil - over & over again - to make it to the White House, becasue it costs so freakin' much to campaign. Sooner of later, coportate America would have Obama in their pocket. If not Halliburton then GE or one of the pharmaceutical companies -- but Big Business would find a way to make him their puppet.

And if they can't buy you off, that's when they assassinate your ass.

- RC

PS
    I've been away for a long while -- please tell my poor heart that Marc hasn't gotten married yet!?
    (Some torches never die... :)

By semillama on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 09:53 am:

Who knows? It's not like Mark to announce something like that.

By patrick on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 02:09 pm:

ok.

Sharpton's speech? Kinda awesome. The Dems need some of that furious rhetoric.

By semillama on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 04:49 pm:

We haven't been watching. Kazu got addicted to one of my video games, and we've been playing that instead of watching tv, actually.

but I've been following it as it gets reported on line. I heard Sharpton was great, even though I don't personally like him.

I also heard John Edwards did great.

By Rowlfe on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:30 am:

I'm watching Kerry on cspan.org now.

Its the first time I've seen him that he didnt appear to be so much of a coldfish. But theres still some Daily Show-esque moments in there of mockery.

By wisper on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:48 am:

why does kazu not speak to us?

By dave. on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 04:02 am:

kazu! get over here RIGHT NOW!

By semillama on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 10:03 am:

I have no internet access at home, so Kazu hasn't been able to do much web surfing.

Plus, she's addicted to "The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind" as well.

I told her she could come in last night while I had an after-work database meeting, but she didn't want to. I think she feels weird using the computers at my work.

By Rowlfe on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:04 pm:

By Spider on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:00 pm:

I thought Kerry did a bang-up job last night with his speech. You can read the whole thing here.

Highlights, for me:

I will be a commander in chief who will never mislead us into war. I will have a Vice President who will not conduct secret meetings with polluters to rewrite our environmental laws. I will have a Secretary of Defense who will listen to the best advice of our military leaders. And I will appoint an Attorney General who actually upholds the Constitution of the United States.

We're told that outsourcing jobs is good for America. We're told that new jobs that pay $9,000 less than the jobs that have been lost is the best we can do. They say this is the best economy we've ever had. And they say that anyone who thinks otherwise is a pessimist. Well, here is our answer: There is nothing more pessimistic than saying America can't do better.
    That last part reminded me of our arguments with Spunky.

I want to address these next words directly to President George W. Bush: In the weeks ahead, let's be optimists, not just opponents. Let's build unity in the American family, not angry division. Let's honor this nation's diversity; let's respect one another; and let's never misuse for political purposes the most precious document in American history, the Constitution of the United States.
    Right on.
    And let me say it plainly: in that cause, and in this campaign, we welcome people of faith. America is not us and them. I think of what Ron Reagan said of his father a few weeks ago, and I want to say this to you tonight: I don't wear my own faith on my sleeve. But faith has given me values and hope to live by, from Vietnam to this day, from Sunday to Sunday. I don't want to claim that God is on our side. As Abraham Lincoln told us, I want to pray humbly that we are on God's side.

What if we find a breakthrough to cure Parkinson's, diabetes, Alzheimer's and AIDs? What if we have a president who believes in science, so we can unleash the wonders of discovery like stem cell research to treat illness and save millions of lives?
    I haven't done my research on stem cell, uh, research, but I thought the phrase in red was a nice piece of snark.

By patrick on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:14 pm:

yeah, rereading those words here.....definitely.

and you picked the parts that i took particular note to as well.

i know its all for naught as politicans are still politicians but yeah, he gave me some tingles last night.

further...though i knows it typical post convention highs, but is anyone listening to bush anymore?

By semillama on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:24 pm:

Speaking of Ron Reagan. . .

Apparently Bush was giving a speech in Springfield MO in a baseball stadium, and every time he paused for cheers, you could hear on the tv broadcast the protesters booing outside.

By Rowlfe on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:26 pm:

I'm waiting with anticipation for Bushs RNC speech, looking for whatever good reasons he thinks he has to deserve another term.

Lets all be honest and admit the 'positive' Kerry/Edwards/DNC is a political move. Not that the Democrats this year ARENT the 'hope' campaign, but come on, its a move to make Bush look like an asshole, and its working. By taking the high road, making digs more subtle and not mentioning Bush by name, it forces Bush to do the same, which he can't really do with his record. I was worried about what would happen if the Dems went spineless, but it turns out its probably to their advantage. The Dems know how to play up the populism and hope. The Republicans dont. Theres so much material to trash Bush with, but the Republicans know how to play that game, and any future efforts will now probably backfire.

Wow. Strategy from a Democratic campaign. Who woulda thunk it?

By patrick on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:29 pm:

people arent listening to Bush, because even those who will vote for him and support cant listen to him because if they did they couldnt vote for him.

bush is a souless evil person. he's a fucking retard who doesnt believe in anything. he's gone. period.

Let the bush campaign trash itself, they've done a good job up until this point.

at this point Kerry doesnt need to say anything negative.

By Rowlfe on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:41 pm:

You know all the debates "Is Bush really stupid? acting stupid?" and all that?

that Reagan article brought up something I hadnt considered. Maybe he's just not trying. Maybe he doesnt REALLY care. Maybe he's just lazy.

In many ways thats worse to me than lying (no matter if the intentions are good or evil). Great power - great responsibility. Bush never takes responsibility or accountability for anything.

A poll recently stated that if Canadians could vote for US elections, Bush would lose in a landslide in every province, with at most 30% support and in most places around 15%. Even in Canada's Texas (the ultra conservative province of Alberta), they hate Bush.

So spread it to your friends: Invade Canada and then give us the vote. You'll have either Centrists, Libertarians or Democrats in power all the time, as we'd be the biggest swing state of all which means health care for every person.

By dave. on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:45 pm:

http://www.interventionmag.com/cms/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=820

we're not out of the woods yet. the popular media continue to show an eagerness to repeat rnc slander without first vetting it.

right wing talk is still a force to be reckoned with. listen to that franken hannity thing up there. that guy is a master propagandist and his style is airtight. franken made great points and couldn't even faze the guy. he's like a fucking evil ninja android of disinformation and spin.

these guys are not dead yet.

By patrick on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 03:58 pm:

but you know they media likes to talk about the religious right and their voting power. yeah yeah yeah, they've never swung an election. not even with clinton, twice during the hey day or right wing/patriot/religious extremism.

i think howard stern has more ability to influence an election than the religious right does.

By Gee on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 04:37 pm:

uh, please do not encourage the states people to invade Canada. Thanks.

By Rowlfe on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 04:40 pm:

not everyone can be Sean Hannity. Hannity must have it in his genes. Franken knows all his tricks but he's still susceptible. Hannity is the best at interrupting, avoiding an answer and changing the topic and out-talking his opponents. I remember seeing a study that showed Hannity says on average twice as many words as Colmes does.

He'd never change his views on anything because he's never given himself the opportunity to listen to anyone else in the first place. I wonder how this guy reads books.

I saw him trying to copy the recent Dem positivity campaign by calling libs and cons to unite. This coming from someone who called his book: Deliver Us from Evil : "Defeating Terrorism, Despotism, and Liberalism " - nice company he puts us in there, huh?

By Rowlfe on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 04:42 pm:

"i think howard stern has more ability to influence an election than the religious right does."

I think the religious right in hte US CAN swing the vote. they wont necessarily vote the way Pat Robertson tells them to, but theres got to be a reason you dont see any atheist or non-churchgoing presidents.

By Sye on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 04:45 pm:

Canada's Texas?

By patrick on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 04:54 pm:

there arent that atheists in thsi country or and in general non-church going people don't care about politics anymore than they do about religion. so its natural you wouldnt see em in politics.

By kazu on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 06:25 pm:

hi.

By kazu on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 06:34 pm:

p.s. I don't feel weird using the computer at Andy's work, I really just wanted to play Morrowind longer. :)

By Spider on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 06:55 pm:

Hey Kazu!

Is Morrowind the game where you can chose to be one of 10 races and, like, 40 occupations your character could have?

By wisper on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 08:42 pm:

"there arent that atheists in thsi country or and in general non-church going people don't care about politics anymore than they do about religion"

...can you say that in english, Capitan Grammar?

hiya kazu!

"Canada's Texas?"
    Oui. Alberta was at one time rich and grand from it's oil, but this is slowing now. It's the only place here you can see people wearing cowboy hats outside when it's not Halloween. They're run by a conservative dictatorship, who long ago squandered their universal health care system that the rest of the country enjoys. Alberta is the only province to ever do that, and "Alberta-stlye health care" is a phrase that always comes up around election time, it's practically a 4 letter word, and a powerful threat.

They say it's at least 10 years behind the rest of the country, or the modern world.
    Actually, they say that New Brunswick is 10 years behind, and Alberta 10 years behind them, and willfuly so.

They will no doubt be the last province to allow gay marriage, and possibly the only thing standing in the way of it's national acceptance.

Texas North, they calls it.

By RC on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 05:12 am:

LOL! I can't believe Alberta is known as 'Texas North'! I always picture Canada (otuside of Montreal & Quebec) as this sprawling, mountainous, lush green freedomland with really friendly citizens, really good healthcare & excellent bi-lingual schools. But what do I know?

If there's a national healthcare system in Canada, how did Alberta squander theirs? Did they secede from the country or something?
    --------------------------------------------------
    The Religious Right can't win elections but they CAN tip the balance in states that are already in play, with close margins. The Republicans court them mainly because they have deep pockets. Remember, churches don't have to pay taxes or open their books to the feds. It's illegal for a church to endorse a candidate directly. But any pastor can get up in the pulpit (or on a tv broadcast from some megachurch) & tell the faithful to 'stand against Satan' by voting against those who support gay marriage & stem cell research & don't kiss Israel's ass on every issue. And the unspoken subtext to that is "Donate to Republican candidates!"

It's well-know that folks like Hannity & O'Reilly get their Talking Points thru White House backchannels every week. Their job is to hammer home the pro-Bush, pro-war Republican platform & attack anyone who doesn't support them as unpatriotic. The Message gets drilled into the viewers heads on almost an hourly basis. But it's not just Fux News -- ALL of the news coverage from corporate media is corrupt -- even PBS. And today, you can't even GET on tv, even on local cable, to try & cover the news without the backing of a huge corp. sponsor.

Did you notice how EVERY network that covered the DNC, PBS included, kept cutting away from the speeches to give 'commentary'? The only channel that aired the entire convention without interruption was C-Span, which is why I watched them. But elsewhere, the Powers That Be made sure their minions were there to spin the convention for the public. Because the corporate shadow-gov't doesn't want you watching & listening & deciding for yourself how you feel about a candidate!

When Al Sharpton was speaking the other day, Fux News blatantly ignored him, cutting away to their Talking Heads, who were dissing Sharpton while he was speaking. If they're talking over his speech, how can they possibly have known what he was saying? Their job as so-called journalists was to COVER THE SPEECHES, not talk over them! But they were under orders from TPTB not to let Sharpton's message get through & to make him look like a buffoon.

Which wasn't hard to do. Sharpton is a highly effective speaker -- almost all Black preachers are great public speakers. (Duh! -- you don't get hired to lead a church if you can't move people from the pulpit!) But as inspiring as his words were, Rev. Al wasn't saying anything new or profound. He's a dinosaur, trying to be the self-appointed Negro Leader, like it's still the 60's. To become eligible for federal matching funds, Sharpton needed to raise a lousy $100k (in contributions of not more than $250 apiece) -- & he couldn't do it! Last Aug. he held a fundraiser at Spike Lee's crib on Martha's Vineyard. There's a 50+ year history of well-off Blacks summering there, in a little town called Oak Bluffs, just a few miles away from where the Kennedys & other rich Whitefolks have their summer homes. It was an unstated 'seperate but equal' thing up until the 1980's. Now Blackfolks can buy anywhere on the Vineyard. Spike Lee lives there, along with Vernon Jordan, Henri Louis Gates, Julain Bond -- folks of that ilk. Blackfolks with dough.So how much do you think Shaprton raised?

A lousy $8000.

Jesse Jackson (both of them) & Al Sharpton have the same political problems EVERY Black candidate has -- we're always trying to do something a day late & a dollar short. Meaning they never manage to develop a solid financial base BEFORE they jump into a political race. Rev. Al's not stupid -- he knew he'd never end up on the Democratic ticket. I appreciate the fact that he campaigned in order to participate in the debates & keep the other guys honest about dealing with racial issues -- I get why that was important. But when you're just an Also Ran, the realpolitiks don't start until you make that backroom deal on Super Tuesday to bow out & hand over your delegates to whomever the party frontfunner will be. THAT'S when the party recognizes your power & has to agree to remember your constituents when they get to the White House.

On Super Tuesday, Sharton showed up with only 16 delegates -- Edwards had 220, Kerry had 745. Which ultimately, makes Sharpton look like a joke & hurts the the interests of Blackfolks, who are tired of the Democratic party taking our vote for granted.

The only antidote to Fux News & CNN & MSNBC is for Al Franken to get on tv -- which they'll never let happen. Think about it -- I know I've become a big conspiracy theorist since 9/11 -- but think for a minute: In a capitalist system where Hollwyood sells us the basest, most venal programming it can get us to buy, when you're a known commodity like Franken, when you've got a track record as a great stand-up comic, when you've written a best-selling book, you're a Harvard-educated writer & comedian who has the chops to appear on all the talkshows & hold your own -- WHY Wouldn't One of the Networks Want to Give You A Show? When a tennis has-been like fucking John McEenroe has a talkshow, why isn't Al Franken on tv every week? Because the corporate titans who decide what gets on the air & what does not, in order to protect their interests, don't want Al Franken on tv every week!

Air America Radio helps. But radio will never be as effective as tv.

- RC

PS
    What happend to the italics & boldface & whatnot? I saw someone do a quote in red. Why don't the {b}{/b} thingees work anymore?

By Rowlfe on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 01:21 pm:

Alberta became "seperatist" in a different way than say, Quebec did. With Quebec its all culture and paranoia that they'll be assimilated. With Alberta they feel unrepresented. To win as prime minister you have to be able to speak French and get at least some of the Quebec vote. They never take the effort and their candidates often stupidly get caught dissing Quebect and the Eastern provinces. This election the Conservative leader called all Maritimers "lazy welfare bums". They feel Canada is controlled by Ontario, resent it and have taken on this cavalier "Western" attitude. I dont know where all the cowboy shit and country music came from, but they have that going on too. FOr the last 10 years, they've been run by their premier Ralph Klein who is maybe our most right wing and divisive politician, and who is famously mocked for drinking, the same way you'd mock Kennedy or Boris Yeltsin.

so across Canada, BC = leftist, basically California. Alberta, Saskatchewan = right wing
    Manitoba, ONtario = centrist, half/half, except for Toronto, which is very left
    Quebec - very left despite Catholicism running wild. The seperatist party Bloc Quebecois currently are running a leftist agenda.
    New Brunswick, PEI, NOva Scotia and NFLD - right wing, but for this election because STephen Harper called them lazy, voted centrist and leftist.
    I didnt pay attention to how the Yukon and the Northwest Territories voted.

By semillama on Monday, August 2, 2004 - 10:18 am:

Spider:

Yes, that's morrowind. sucks you right in.

We didn't watch the convention because of that game, but then, we know we're voting for Kerry anyway. We didn't need to get inspired or pumped up. Our votes are in the bag, take us for granted, and I don't care about Kerry's Hair or Edwards Derriere.

Our token Canadian employee is from Alberta, and he can't write a coherent sentence to save his ass.

Most of what I know about Alberta is that a lot of great pro wrestlers come out of there.

By Rowlfe on Monday, August 2, 2004 - 01:20 pm:

yeah, with some notable exceptions

the best ones come out of Texas and Alberta. Coincidence?

By semillama on Monday, August 2, 2004 - 02:22 pm:

Well, don't forget Mexico!

If Ted Turner was smart, he'd build his new wrestling federation based on luchadores and aim it squarely at the kids. I mean, look at saturday morning tv - there's TWO cartoons that feature luchadores or luchador types.

plus, a lot of good wrestlers come out of the midwest too. Can I get a "WHOOOO!"?

By Sye on Monday, August 2, 2004 - 03:11 pm:

I watch Saturday morning cartoons, and I don't see anything about Mexican wrestlers. Am I missing something?

By semillama on Monday, August 2, 2004 - 05:01 pm:

Mucha Lucha is about mexican wrestlers. Plus there's another that features masked wrestlers, which is predominately associated with the Mexican style of professional wrestling.

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, August 3, 2004 - 11:50 pm:

By wisper on Wednesday, August 4, 2004 - 03:21 pm:

whenever "Savage" is mentioned in the media, I always think it's Dan Savage.
    You can imagine the mix-up this causes.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, August 4, 2004 - 06:27 pm:

By dave. on Thursday, August 5, 2004 - 02:35 am:

By semillama on Thursday, August 5, 2004 - 10:17 am:

Can you believe the republicans in the Illinois senate race?

Jesus. Anyone for a game of race cards?

I mean, crowdsurfin' Alan Keyes? And they got all over Hilary Clinton's shit for coming in from out of state?

Fuckers. I'm looking forward to their solid trouncing that they so richly deserve.

By semillama on Thursday, August 5, 2004 - 10:56 am:

Check it: More fun with Katherine Harris.

So, either she's releasing classified information, for which she should be prosecuted, or she's just making up shit.

By dave. on Thursday, August 5, 2004 - 11:21 am:

to keyes' credit, he is expressing reluctance about the whole thing. doesn't mean he isn't gonna do it. . . but at least he's not oblivious to the whole issue. i think it was improper for hilary clinton to move in and run for senator.

By dave. on Thursday, August 5, 2004 - 11:55 am:

By Rowlfe on Thursday, August 5, 2004 - 05:01 pm:

By Rowlfe on Thursday, August 5, 2004 - 05:30 pm:

“Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.”
    - George W. Bush, Aug 5, 2004

By Rowlfe on Thursday, August 5, 2004 - 05:31 pm:

By Antigone on Thursday, August 5, 2004 - 05:32 pm:

I saw that quote live today, and I hoped someone would catch it. :)

By Antigone on Thursday, August 5, 2004 - 05:36 pm:

By Rowlfe on Friday, August 6, 2004 - 01:41 am:

http://www.swiftvets.com/

this is insane.

None of these men were on John Kerry's boat. 10 of the 11 people John served with are promoting him, and the 11th is dead.

The depths...

By Antigone on Friday, August 6, 2004 - 05:37 am:

See, this isn't being done to convince anyone. This is for the people like spunky who might have a shred of doubt if the positive aspects of Kerry's war record weren't answered. All people like that need is a small, feeble line to grasp. "His medals? Oh, he...MADE IT ALL UP, yeah. He didn't REALLY deserve them." Then the world is right again.

By semillama on Friday, August 6, 2004 - 09:52 am:

yeah. Meanwhile turning a blind eye to Bush's very suspicious military record.

The white house came out and made an "unrepudiation" of that ad, which ended up just being a thinly veiled attack on MoveOn.org.

I swear to you, I will literally dance in the streets if Bush goes down Nov. 2.

By semillama on Friday, August 6, 2004 - 12:22 pm:

This doesn't tell us anything we didn't know, but it puts it together very nicely.

If the mass media wasn't totally co-opted by the right wing, this would be a fantastic piece for some investigative news program.

By Rowlfe on Friday, August 6, 2004 - 01:36 pm:

What the people who made that anti-Kerry ad dont realize is by making that ad they are attacking the military :P - basically saying that they just give medals away for no reason, and that their own awards are worthless!

By Rowlfe on Friday, August 6, 2004 - 01:41 pm:

By semillama on Friday, August 6, 2004 - 01:45 pm:

seems pretty popular with the republican voters in his district, doesn't he?

By Rowlfe on Friday, August 6, 2004 - 01:56 pm:

Tennesseein is Tennebelievin!

By Antigone on Friday, August 6, 2004 - 03:06 pm:

Graph of terror alerts vs. Bush approval rating.

Conclusion: every time there's a terror alert, his rating goes up.

The ratings have been increasing in frequency as we approach the election.

q.e.d. - DUH!

By Rowlfe on Saturday, August 7, 2004 - 12:57 am:

I'm listening to Mike Malloy on AirAmericaRadio right now.

He's the most left wing person they have now on the station, and more abrasive than Randi Rhodes.

he's hilarious.

By dave. on Saturday, August 7, 2004 - 01:02 am:

i'm listening, too. i like.

By Rowlfe on Saturday, August 7, 2004 - 01:05 am:

he's not typically 'haha' funny. he's just so abrasive and mad that the way he talks and changes his voice into weird pitches that it works. if he had a different voice it probably wouldnt work for me and I'd just think him an asshole

By dave. on Saturday, August 7, 2004 - 01:14 am:

yeah, i like how he gets all worked up and then catches himself and laughs it off.

i listened to savage earlier. alternate fucking reality.

By Rowlfe on Saturday, August 7, 2004 - 02:55 am:

quote of the day

on toppling Saddam:

"We would have been forced to occupy Baghdad and, in effect, rule Iraq.... There was no viable "exit strategy" we could see, violating another of our principles. Furthermore, we had been consciously trying to set a pattern for handling aggression in the post-Cold War world. Going in and occupying Iraq, thus unilaterally exceeding the United Nations' mandate, would have destroyed the precedent of international response to aggression that we hoped to establish. Had we gone the invasion route, the United States could conceivably still be an occupying power in a bitterly hostile land."

- George Herbert Walker Bush, 1999

By RC on Saturday, August 7, 2004 - 05:43 am:

It's amazing his nose doesn't grow every time he opens his mouth. Bush & Co. have been planning to to invade Iraq since 2000.

http://www.e-thepeople.org/article/28571/view

The actual document is 90 pages long in .pdf -- but a document every American should read, IMO. If the Pearl Harbor reference doesn't scare the bejesus out of you in a post-9/11 world, nothing ever will.

This document is nothing less than a Smoking Gun -- yet NOBODY in press is talking about it! Seems to me everyone on AirAmericaRadio.com should be discussing this report all day every day & pestering folks to write to their local media outlets asking why their reporters aren't asking the White House about it.

Sem says he'll be dancing in the steets if Bush loses in Nov. I'll be sticking my head in an oven if he wins.

And with all the problems with those Diebold voting machines, he could easily manage to steal the election yet again.

- RC

By Rowlfe on Monday, August 9, 2004 - 06:06 pm:

By wisper on Monday, August 9, 2004 - 06:58 pm:

this just in: who gives a shit what politicians spouses think? Why even put a mic in front of them? I don't recall them being elected. Big friggen deal what first ladies think.

By Rowlfe on Monday, August 9, 2004 - 07:51 pm:

i dont care that much, but I think its a window to the character of said politician. I mean, what if Bush was married to an 18 year old? or a parapeligic? these simple things would change perception of the person and possibly/probably rightfully so.

By dave. on Monday, August 9, 2004 - 10:42 pm:

hey you two. get a room.

where's patrick?

By dave. on Monday, August 9, 2004 - 11:54 pm:

i wanna retract my statement crediting keyes.

malloy is cracking me up.

i just have to say that, for years, i have LOVED talk radio and i'm so happy to have air america and radio power.

i've been soooo jealous of the traces of the world with their right-wing radio clusterfuckings.

not anymore.

i don't care if it's biased or unbalanced. i agree with it and that's what i was missing before this spring.

By dave. on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:31 am:

By dave. on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:32 am:

he's like get your war on without pictures.

By semillama on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:22 am:

he is awesome. He makes Lewis Black sound like a bleating sheep.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:04 am:

By wisper on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 05:08 pm:

ROFLMAO!!

that map is the final proof that AOL is for people who can't tie their own shoes.

By dave. on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:18 pm:

that is NOT for real.

By wisper on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 09:04 pm:

i keep looking at that thing and thinking my head is going to explode.

By wisper on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 01:51 am:

i even took a screen shot of it, for posterity.
    As i shall continue to do, monthly, until Nov.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 03:44 am:

WOW. it even got worse today, as the Reds have taken new York, leaving Kerry with 13 electoral votes.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 03:47 am:

By dave. on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 04:00 am:

yeah, i downloaded that video from bittorrent. that guy needs his ass kicked. fuck fighting with words.

FISTICUFFS!

By Dougie on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:47 am:

I caught some of that when it aired. Krugman looked a little uncomfortable, as if he was not used to verbally sparring with bullies -- who could blame him -- but he certainly held his own. O'Reilly just made himself look pathetic, as usual.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 01:48 pm:

If I was with O'Reilly and it wasnt O'Reillys show, I'd just let him keep yelling. Or start laughing. It would just be better to watch O'Reilly expose himself.

By Rowlfe on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 01:53 am:

this is a transcript of an outtake from Fahrenheit 9/11. It is maybe the most damning thing I've seen in some time. Even if you hate Moore, this quote is just... wow. what a scoop. This is fuckin huge.

Video available at michaelmoore.com

INTERVIEWER: [Y]ou come from intelligence. This is what you did, this is what you know.

REP. GOSS: Uh, that was, uh, 35 years ago.

INTERVIEWER: Okay.

REP. GOSS: It is true I was in CIA from approximately the late 50's to approximately the early 70's. And it's true I was a case officer, clandestine services office and yes I do understand the core mission of the business. I couldn't get a job with CIA today. I am not qualified. I don't have the language skills. I, you know, my language skills were romance languages and stuff. We're looking for Arabists today. I don't have the cultural background probably. And I certainly don't have the technical skills, uh, as my children remind me every day, "Dad you got to get better on your computer." Uh, so, the things that you need to have, I don't have.
    -- Rep. Porter Goss, March 3, 2004, Washington, DC

By Antigone on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 05:30 pm:

I don't find that quote all that damning, really. I mean, it's like a former general saying "I couldn't get a job as a soldier, these days. Boot camp would kill me." To be an administrator, you have to be wise and see the big picture. Goss can do that without being able to do all the jobs of his subordinates.

I don't necessarily support Goss' appointment, but trying to criticize him using that quote isn't effective.

By Rowlfe on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 07:28 pm:

I disagree.

And I could see a general making that statement, you know, to try and compliment the troops of today, coach-like, reassuring and stuff. From watching the video of Goss it seemed very clear to me that this wasnt one of those things. I dont care if it is administrative. This is someone who flatly says he cant do the job for specific reasons, has openly mocked the investigation into the Plame leak, and on top of this, made shown he can be a vicious partisan through remarks he's made this year against kerry.

Say Kerry wins. What do you when your head of intelligence is against you? Is Goss really someone who can be trusted to put his partisanship ahead of his job? What good is there to put anyone in there with such credibility issues?

By RC on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 08:52 pm:

If Kerry wins, Goss will resign. From what I understand, all the upper-level appointments offer their resignations when the new admin. comes in, as a courtesy. If the new prez wants you, he asks you to stay on, rather then being forced to let you go.

- RC

By Rowlfe on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 03:24 am:

"Precisely because America is powerful, we must be sensitive about expressing our power and influence. Our goal is to patiently build the momentum of freedom, not create resentment for America itself. We pursue our goals; we will listen to others; we want strong friends to join us, not weak neighbors to dominate. In all our dealings with other nations, we will display the modesty of true confidence and strength."

-George W. Bush 4/2001

``America has been in too many wars for any of our wishes, but not a one of them was won by being sensitive,'' Cheney said in remarks prepared for delivery Thursday. ``A sensitive war will not destroy the evil men who killed 3,000 Americans. ... The men who beheaded Daniel Pearl and Paul Johnson will not be impressed by our sensitivity.''

-Dick Cheney 8/2004

Cheney sure is tough on his boss - HAR

By J on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 05:48 am:

By Rowlfe on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 01:30 am:

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 03:11 pm:

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 03:38 pm:

Contempt order lifted in CIA leak case
    By CURT ANDERSON
    The Associated Press
    8/24/2004

WASHINGTON (AP) — Contempt of court orders against Time magazine and one of its reporters were dismissed after the journalist agreed to give a statement to prosecutors probing the Bush administration leak of a covert CIA officer's identity.

In a statement Tuesday, Time said reporter Matthew Cooper agreed to give a deposition after Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Vice President Cheney's chief of staff, personally released Cooper from a promise of confidentiality about a conversation the two had last year.

Time and Cooper had been held in contempt earlier this month by U.S. District Judge Thomas F. Hogan for refusing to testify in the leak probe. Hogan rejected their claims, as well as those of "Meet The Press" host Tim Russert, that the First Amendment protected them from having to testify.

Cooper had faced up to 18 months in jail and the magazine could have been forced to pay $1,000 a day under the contempt order, which has now been vacated. Russert avoided the contempt citation by agreeing to an interview with prosecutors earlier this month, again after Libby released him from a confidentiality promise.

Cooper gave his deposition Monday to the special prosecutor appointed in the case, U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald of Chicago, in the Washington office of his lawyer, Floyd Abrams, the magazine statement said. The deposition focused on a single July 2003 conversation about the leak between Cooper and Libby, the statement said.

Investigators are trying to find out who in the Bush administration leaked the identity of CIA officer Valerie Plame, whose name was published by syndicated columnist Robert Novak on July 14, 2003. Novak cited two "senior administration officials" as his sources. It can be a felony to leak the name of an undercover officer.

The column came out about a week after Plame's husband, former ambassador Joseph Wilson, was critical in a newspaper opinion piece about President Bush's claim in his 2003 State of the Union address that Iraq sought to obtain uranium in Niger. The CIA had sent Wilson to Niger to investigate that claim, which he concluded was unfounded.

Glenn Kessler, a Washington Post reporter, also agreed to an interview in June after Libby agreed to release him from a similar promise.

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/topstories/index.ssf?/base/politics-1/1093362844179800.xml&storylist=

basically, this article is inferring that is was Libby who outed Plame to Novak.

By Antigone on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 04:31 pm:

Ain't it, though. It's a clever way around any gag order, too. i.e., if Libby said, "If you print 'Libby did it' I'll retaliate" they could easily say, "we never printed that. We only printed the facts." :)

By dave. on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 03:41 am:

http://rudepundit.blogspot.com/

the rude pundit has nailed it on this one. the protest planners need to be prepared to deal with black bloc anarchist types as well as undercover republican operatives who are determined to foment violence and destruction.

once the cops go into combat mode, it's all over. period. good for bush, bad for kerry.

fucking republicans outsmarted us again. we're so pavlovian.

By dave. on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 04:54 am:

By semillama on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 10:31 am:

awesome.

I read that rude pundit essay, too, and I totally agree.

The sad thing is, he's one voice in the wilderness, and there's going to be mass stupidity in NYC.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 02:24 pm:

OH SNAP YOU DUN BIN CAUGHT

From The Financial Times, December 9th, 2003 ...

"The Bush campaign machine, well oiled and already rolling, should not be underestimated. The current president's father gained a formidable reputation as a nasty campaigner, though the presidential fingerprints were carefully wiped off negative blueprints administered by Lee Atwater, the first Mr Bush's ruthless chief strategist.

Karl Rove, a disciple of Mr Atwater, is similarly meticulous about keeping the president publicly above the fray. Yet it is an open secret in Washington that White House-blessed campaign strategists have been working quietly for months to compile potentially damaging background on all the Democratic candidates. In the early going, when it appeared Mr Kerry would emerge as the frontrunner, one senior Republican commented wryly: "By the time the White House finishes with Kerry, no one will know what side of the (Vietnam) war he fought on."

By Rowlfe on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 02:53 am:

http://www.ifilm.com/viralvideo?stage=getmpproductinfoad&pinfo=ipt:viral|fid:2647303|mt:asf|bw:200|refsite:|rcid:|prn:|it:6|pop:|lid:|sid:1|cid:1|cch:61|ctxpg:pl|gl1:false|ap:-1|up:16|ipf:quickplayer|cr:1|pt:7|pg:700004|c:true|uip:68.13.120.62|uh:68.13.120.62|stage:getmpproductinfoad|adskid:16601|admt:asf|adid:2641413|adbt:sponsor|adsn

oh snap

By heather on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 07:10 am:

interesting

By kazu on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 11:53 am:

Rowlfe called it. :)

By Dougie on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 12:40 pm:

Holy shit! I forgot about this thread.

By agatha on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 07:39 pm:

He certainly did! Holy shizzle, rowlfe.

By wisper on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 08:34 pm:

Rowlfe was up till 4am last night keeping up with blogs and message boards. It truly was his superbowl.
    In the few weeks leading up to the election, people would ask him who he thought was going to win. His reply was inevitably: "I don't CARE anymore, I just want it to be OVER so i can SLEEP FINALLY."
    And so sleep he did, finally.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 12:38 am:

"...keeping up with blogs and message boards."

Specifically, i was watching the Minnesota senate race all the way to 100%, reloading CNN's infographics and guesstimating which counties were firewalls.

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDD

I had five hours sleep, then woke up at 9 to see if there was anything else. had lunch and slept the rest of the afternoon.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 12:40 am:

btw I hate reading some old threads, because the memories of a lot of the mini-outrages and links, etc are flat out gone, reading what I wrote they may as well have been written by a stranger.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 12:43 am:

er... I might as well take the opportunity to make another guess for what happens in 2012

Biden decides to retire, Hillary takes his slot on the ticket against Gingrich/Jindal

there is not much gut feeling there, so I'm prepared to be wrong :P

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 02:48 am:

I went on Craigslist website very recently, I found this ppl have no regards for themself opening too many unwelcome comment when it comes to the next president. I find this unacceptable.

By Daniel ssss on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 03:41 pm:

I find it perfectly acceptable to suggest in all sincereity and gravity that WE IMPEACH BUSH FOR WAR CRIMES AGAINST THE AFGANIS AND IRAQIS, AND IMPEACH CHENEY AND BUSH (and a few of the Wall Street, treasury Dept and etc) FOR CRIMES AGAINST THE AMERICAN PEOPLE.

Let's do this before Bush leaves office. He now wants to dismantle and deregulate every environmental safety law that remains before he leaves office.

go "git 'em Rowlfe.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, November 7, 2008 - 02:57 am:

Well, Danielssss, I am sure it will be too late for attemping to IMPEACH Dubya Bush. He going to laugh his ass off when he steps down. But, think of something else that he won't get aways with that.

By joe on Friday, November 7, 2008 - 10:01 pm:

let's give him the densitometer treatment! bwa-hahahahhahahahahahaha!

By Dr Pepper on Friday, November 7, 2008 - 11:09 pm:

Hi ya jack....

By jellybean on Friday, November 7, 2008 - 11:50 pm:

well, no shit! can't pull the wool over your nostrils! how are you doing, sherlock holmes?

By Dr Pepper on Friday, November 7, 2008 - 11:52 pm:

Well, I am doing fine. jack, thanks for asking.

By jerk on Friday, November 7, 2008 - 11:56 pm:

i'm not jack! i'm joe jellybean jerk! why are you spying on me? are you from the government?

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 04:45 am:

I wish I would work for Governemnt, But I really do know who you are... :-)

By Danielssss on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 11:13 am:

they have taken me and my computer

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 03:30 pm:

Danielssss, if they took you and your computer, you wouldn't be here to post message.

By jehovak on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 05:34 pm:

they posted it....get it?

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 07:21 pm:

jack, check Danielssss's post on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 11:13 am. And see it for yourself.

By action jackson on Saturday, November 8, 2008 - 07:24 pm:

see what?

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, November 9, 2008 - 12:44 am:

action jackson, do you think you can flip yourself over a moving car? bwhahaha! what a jackass..

By jackass jackson on Sunday, November 9, 2008 - 10:47 am:

see what? flip what? bwa ha ahahaha

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, November 9, 2008 - 04:03 pm:

By jack on Sunday, November 9, 2008 - 06:31 pm:

yeah, that's me! how did you know?

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, November 9, 2008 - 06:58 pm:

Everybody know who you are.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 03:30 pm:

Hey jack, are you there? :-)

By Danielssss on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 04:01 pm:

the men in white have me!!!

the men in white have me!!!!

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 02:49 am:

Come on! take that like a man!

By wisper on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 - 10:09 pm:

Good job again, y'all ;)
    <3

By Daniel in his hanes ssss on Thursday, November 8, 2012 - 01:09 pm:

another election, another fight for protecting the environment, another prayer for the elimination of the nuclear menace, another kidnapping by government officials here in the midwaste, another arizona immigrant smuggled into Oklahoma, another....

By The Watcher on Friday, November 9, 2012 - 05:34 am:

More of the same. I do not understand why so many voted for Obama. Gridlock for the next four years.

By Antigone on Friday, November 9, 2012 - 01:25 pm:

So conservatives want government doing a lot?

By Obama on Friday, November 9, 2012 - 07:03 pm:

you go Tiggy!!! Slow and steady growth is always better tahn rapid and disastrous decline under the Romnster and Twit.

By heather on Friday, November 9, 2012 - 07:47 pm:

Dumb just gets dumber and makes no fucking sense.

Fuck.

I am going to go back to delighting in sanity and Rowlfe-genius.

By Danielssss on Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 01:55 pm:

Yes H, but the good adultering Gen Petraeus rsigned over such an indiscretion (we didn't impeach the commander in cheif when he got a blow job in the Oval Office, nor did we ridicule Kennedy for his Marilyn escapades (oh yeah, PTB killed that one)). So I am figuring that the Good General is resigning because he knows something about Benganzi just like something about 911 FUKU or something equally clandestine and suppressed...are about to break into the consciousness rational or not of the american people...msm or not...the truth will win out. he resigned over something much greater than the affair.

Nice to see Mr Obama has time for checking Sorabji.

By Antigone on Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 02:54 pm:

If Petraeus knew something the best place for him to be would
    be at the helm where he could do something about it. Why
    would he resign?

And in general it seems the Obama admin has higher
    standards. Notice that it's been basically scandal free?

By heather on Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 05:46 pm:

What did I say that had anything to do with that?

By dumb I am referring to anyone who (doesn't have a billion
    dollars and) thinks Romney would have been good for them.

By Danielssss on Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 08:18 pm:

I agree with you Heather. Nothing you said had anything to do with the general's resignation but I connected the sanity and insanity with the insanity of his resigning, which would also make me agree with Antigone...that something may be quite amiss with that story. Nothing more. Having a wonderful day sleeping and watching the wind move trees.

Sorabjitime is much less upsetting my apple cart than has FB been lately.

By Antigone on Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 08:41 pm:

Well, I don't accept the story either, but there's honestly no way of
    knowing what the truth is, so I don't bother speculating much.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, November 12, 2012 - 08:24 pm:

If I am tired of getting embarrassed of my country, I think,I might go move to where my great grandfather was born.

By Antigone on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 01:39 pm:

Mars?

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 10:53 pm:

No, Ukraine, formerly Russian republic.

By Antigone on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 01:45 am:

Mars.

By droopy on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 02:36 am:

men are from ukraine, women are from romania. i am
    from moldova.

By Spider on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 03:45 pm:

Π― Π°ΠΌΠ΅Ρ€ΠΈΠΊΠ°Π½ΠΊΠ°.

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 - 11:36 pm:

What does backward "R" means?

By Spider on Thursday, November 15, 2012 - 09:02 am:

It means "I" and is pronounced "ya".

Ya amerikanka.
    I am an American (woman).

By Danielssss on Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 01:58 pm:

kanko = man?

By Spider on Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 06:07 pm:

No, the word for an American man or boy is amerikanyets (Π°ΠΌΠ΅Ρ€ΠΈΠΊΠ°Π½Π΅Ρ†).

This is American as a noun; American as an adjective is amerikanskiy/амСриканский (masc) or amerikanskaya/амСриканская (fem).

Но я Π³ΠΎΠ²ΠΎΡ€ΡŽ Ρ‚ΠΎΠ»ΡŒΠΊΠΎ Π½Π΅ΠΌΠ½ΠΎΠ³ΠΎ ΠΏΠΎ-русский, Ρ‚Π°ΠΊ Ρ‡Ρ‚ΠΎ Π½Π΅ ΠΏΠΎΠ²Π΅ΜΡ€ΡŒΡ‚Π΅ ΠΌΠ½Π΅.

(BTW, don't run that through Google Translate, because they are dumb. They totally ignore the verb "Π³ΠΎΠ²ΠΎΡ€ΡŽ" - "speak".)

By Spider on Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 06:08 pm:

Pronounced "gavarYU"

By Spider on Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 06:20 pm:

So this dumb cat of mine

dumb cat
    глупая кошка

has been with me for almost two months, and she still hides for 95% of her day. She hides in the closet on top of her favorite box or under the bed. If I go downstairs while she is downstairs, she hides under the dining room table.

The only time of the day when she tolerates me being near her is in the evening. Otherwise, when I pet her, she shrinks away from me like a teenaged boy squirming away from his mother's kisses. If I pet her back, she'll drop her belly to the ground in an effort to duck under my hand. It's actually kind of cute, and it beats being scratched or hissed at, but come on already. LET ME PET YOU. YOU ARE SO SOFT.

She only seeks me out for pets and love in the middle of the night, when I'm stumbling in the dark in and out of the bathroom. I'll pet her for a few moments, but then, look, I've got to go back to sleep, I've got work in the morning, you ungrateful wretch.

She only loves me in the middle of the night. That sounds like a country/western song.

By Danielssss on Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 11:25 pm:

Give her a tree to sleep under. Takes a long time to socialize a skittish animal...I wonder how abused it was before reaching you. And some cats are just very isolative by nature, but most I think get that way because they are hypervigilant and fearful of thier own shadow, like some humans.

Turns out that not only was my cat dumped in the woods near my house, she was shot and still carries some bb's in her body as an xray found out not too long ago. Certain days she won't let anyone near here, others, and lately, she is affectionate and when she's had enough, bites or lashes out with the claws. She shows no absolutely no remorse.

She is dumbfounded by the humans in her life. Thanks fior the language lesson. I tried learning russian after grad school when I was teaching at a university with a huge russian exchange program. never got it.

By Antigone on Sunday, November 18, 2012 - 02:04 am:

Skittish human, meet skittish kitty.

By Spider on Sunday, November 18, 2012 - 10:38 pm:

Today she was a different animal altogether. Came out at breakfast and sat in my lap as I did a crossword, played with me in the morning with a new toy that she really likes, sat in the window with me petting her in the afternoon, came out at dinner, played with me a little more in the evening, and just now let me pet her as I gave her her night meal. She even let me handle her paws as I try to prepare her for an eventual nail clipping.

I'm sorry for bad-mouthing her. I guess she's just moody. She seems to be naturally timid and submissive -- when she was at her most afraid when she first moved in with me, she never hissed/bristled/scratched/got hostile in any way; she would just duck her head and tremble when I got too close.

She was never abused, but she was found at 2 weeks with her littermate in an abandoned car in Philly. She lived with a foster parent for one week, and then was adopted at four weeks by my brother's girlfriend, who spoils her. Maybe being orphaned at a young age and lacking the education that a mother would have taught her has made her a little weird.

The goober at four weeks. Just look at that enormous head!

By moonit on Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 02:04 pm:

hah aww she's cute; even with a giant head!

By Danielssss on Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 02:20 pm:

living in an abandoned car in Philly is abuse for sure. She will acculturate to humans or not, and whether that is good or bad, who knows.

By J on Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - 03:37 pm:

By platypus on Wednesday, November 21, 2012 - 10:52 pm:

I have a sketchy cat too. Sometimes cats can be
    deeply frustrating, even as we love them. Sounds
    like she'll come around eventually.

By The Watcher on Friday, December 21, 2012 - 02:41 am:

You kitten is cute.
    My two cats have a new playmate.
    I bought a Parakeet.
    Don't ask why. I know I'm crazy. My wife has confermed this. But he's cute too.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact