what kind of friend are you?

sorabji.com: Who are you?: what kind of friend are you?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spiracle on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 02:47 pm:

Are you the type to hold your friends to a "higher standard" or are you the type to take them "as is"...

the higher standard friendship can be annoying and preachy but shouldn't we want the best for people too? Even if it never becomes preachy then you're more willing to cut it lose if you expect too much...

the 'as is' frienship is nice in the beginning...but it's lazy...and can sometimes show you don't care about anyone other than yourself... It can also sometimes turn into watching a train wreck..

I know i do both...it usually starts out as the 'as is' until i get annoyed and then turns into the 'expecting more' type...

I wonder how common it is to seek out friends with more issues than you...more problems...less money...just to not feel like the inferior one in the group..

I know that people do the opposite too..a kind of social ladder of sorts..

the non-familia relationship baffles me...

By kazu on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 03:36 pm:

I just make sure my friends meet my standards before I become friends with them

By sarah on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 04:07 pm:

last friday i wrote this email to my oldest, best friend:

"Perhaps you're right. Maybe my feelings were a little bit hurt. But that certainly isn't YOUR fault at all! In fact, if my feelings are hurt, it is only because it reveals to me my own shortcomings when it comes to friendship.

The problem may be that all of my friendships, even the most important one of all, I don't tend to or cultivate as often as I should. My friendships are more like fields of wild flowers and weeds and rogue outcroppings of purely natural beauty. I don't water them, I don't prune them, I don't fertilize them, I don't control them. Like any living, breathing, natural landscape, they change and evolve, and I appreciate their beauty no matter what the season.

Whoever can live in this field and survive naturally, stays and thrives. Whoever doesn't, dies out or sends their friendship seeds to be planted in a better tended garden.

The downside, of course, is knowing that I've let some very important, beautiful friendships die in this field. Knowing after it was too late that I could have done something about it, then trying to change my ways, and eventually finding peace again in the wildness.

That you have chosen to live and survive in and FLOURISH in this wild field of our friendship, despite my neglect, is the greatest gift I have ever, EVER been given, and it means infinitely more to me than holding the place of honor at your wedding.

I certainly would never expect even Dave to remain in a relationship with me without my earnest care and attention. Because when it comes to any other relationship besides my friendship with you, love is never enough."

p.s. this was not to my friend in hawaii whose wedding i am in next month.

By Nate on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 04:07 pm:

i try not to have any expectations of my friends. at least, not that they are aware of.

i need people to be interesting. and i need people to be able to talk to me without freaking out and getting pissed off and ending the conversation.

other than that, anything.

By Nate on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 04:15 pm:

and what sarah wrote is dead on. except maybe the last part, i don't know anything about that.

something dave. wrote about how adults shouldn't have expectations of gifts.

adults shouldn't need to be cultivated. we should actualize ourselves and enjoy the actualization of others. that's my opinion, anyway.

it keeps my dance card open.

By heather on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 10:47 pm:

i used to have occasional freak-outs about not keeping close to people, but i don't really have the energy for that anymore.

people just do their thing and we run into each other when it's appropriate.

i'm thinking maybe i should practice cultivation though, but only because i don't want to be one of those old people with no friends whose children never visit.

maybe if you stay open enough that doesn't happen. it is probably the lonely young who turn into the lonely old. i worry about getting old.

By TBone on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 11:52 pm:

I don't have much patience for high-maintainance friends. But sometimes when I'm in a funk I resent them for not calling me more, which is dumb.

Mostly they're fantastic people with whom I can share daydreams.

By Karla on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 11:37 am:

I've really pruned my friendships over the past decade. I like to have just a few quality people in my life and I don't worry too much if I don't hear from them for a while because I know when I do, it'll be fine. I have ZERO patience for high-maintenance people. Life has enough drama without creating your own.

By platypus on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 11:44 am:

TBone, I struggle with the same thing sometimes.

I've certainly narrowed my friend circle to a core of good people, but sometimes I regret not keeping up my high maintenance friends...especially when I am feeling bad and I wonder why they don't call ("never call...don't love me...etc").

I like that I have a large number of friends whom I can not talk to for two months and then strike up a conversation as though there was never an interruption, because sometimes I get caught up in the times or the moment or work and before I know it a month has gone by.

Mmm...chocolate.

By Czarina on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 09:48 am:

Just accepting people with all their odd little idiosyncrasies is good enough for me.And often quite entertaining.

Being supportive,even when someone has fucked up royaly,thats friendship.You don't have to condone the behavior,but let them know you still accept them as a friend.

"Man,what the fuck were you thinking!!!!?The good news is,you'll get thru this,but maybe keeping a low profile for awhile would be a good idea!!!!"

But I'm a loner.I like my privacy.I seem to entertain myself.

I have sevral high maintance friends,when I've had enough,I just hide from them for awhile.

But they know they can count on me in a pinch.

By Karla on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 10:24 am:

My experience with high-maintenance people is that they use their friends like crutches, constantly leaning on them for support instead of learning self-reliance. Their lives are a series of personal explosions and they don't care who gets splattered in the fallout, whether it's friends, spouses or children.
    Yes, I know I sound bitter. I am bitter about the time and emotional energy I've spent trying to help people who refuse to help themselves or learn from their mistakes and who expect the people around them to keep bailing them out of their self-created crises.
    Learning to recognize (and avoid) dysfunctional, co-dependent types is a lesson I seem to have to relearn every few years. Stupid me.
    True friends don't suck you dry with their expectations. I've seen my true friends through deaths, health crises, financial woes and more. I know they'd do the same for me. True friends are people you don't have to hide from.
    This topic seems to have struck a nerve that's still a little raw. I probably should delete this post, but I'm not going to. It feels good to vent.

By jack on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 07:36 pm:

that doesn't sound bitter.

voice of experience -- nothing rude about that.

By J on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 12:30 am:

I'd just want to mention I'm one of Czarina's low maintance friends.

By dave. on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 12:55 am:

you're everybody's low maintenance friend, j.

By Czarina on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 08:40 am:

J's my best friend.Thru thick and thin.No questions,no worries.I am truley honored to have a friend such as J.Not many are that fortunate.
    We've been friends since we were young'uns,it has been my good fortune to have her in my life.
    And definately low maintance.She's totally accepting and loving.Always.
    I love ya J!

By J on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 01:25 am:

I miss you so much hon,I love you too.I wish you were still here,sometimes I feel like a stranger in a strange land here and I need a friend to dump the load.I got another grandbaby on the way,Heather married an asshole and is expecting in Oct.I've been a nervous wreck.I loves that licker.

By J on Monday, June 19, 2006 - 10:16 am:

J loves Dave too.

By V on Tuesday, June 20, 2006 - 12:48 am:

J,credits to you for http://www.funpic.hu/swf/numanuma.html ,have beaten jack over the head with it 120 times,and it spread to 5 million kids over the U.K. as far as I know,awesome...makes you kinda famous.You should make records or something.

By J on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 12:50 am:

V, like Paula would say,you have taken that link and made it your own.I have been having unnatural sex with Jack for over twenty years,he is kinky,but not gay.

By V on Thursday, June 22, 2006 - 06:11 pm:

J,yes,its now v,s site,period,but you still have the copy right,shit, v must owe you millions...AND,I still maintain jack got AIDS 10 years back,see him nude at http://www.funpic.hu/swf/numanuma.html ...as you may know by now,he only likes anul sex.

By jack on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 11:29 pm:

By V on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 08:16 pm:

...jack.so to sum up,you need a shrink,but cant afford one?...numa numa got 7.5 million hits last year,your home movie is famous,thanks to v,you owe me for that,big time.jack,v put a lot of work in to that,phoned 3 London newspapers,contacted schools,you must have got 3 million hits from London alone.v is still working on your new image as the "star wars kid",bet v can get you another 3 million hits on that too.

By V on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 08:44 pm:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact