not who you think

sorabji.com: Who are you?: not who you think
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Friday, July 4, 2008 - 01:55 am:

i got a card in the mail today. it was handwritten and had my correct name and 9-digit zip code. at first glance, it looked like an invitation from a relative - maybe to a 4th of july thing. but i didn't recognize the return address (randall and elizabeth hatley).

i opened the envelope and pulled out the card. on the outside was:

gratefully acknowledging
    and thanking you for your kind
    expression of sympathy

the inside of the card was handwritten and went:

michael,

thank you for your gift in lieu of flowers.
    thank you for your presence at dad's funeral

love, janice & the ron lopez family

i don't know any of these people. i looked up "ron lopez" in the phonebook and found 4 (among the 3 pages of lopezes). i looked up my name and found one other mike g. - maybe the confused me with him.

rest in peace, mr. lopez.

By Nate on Friday, July 4, 2008 - 01:34 pm:

what do you do now? nothing?

By droopy on Friday, July 4, 2008 - 02:28 pm:

i found his obituary

on closer inspection, the name in the card is "janie" not "janice".

i don't know what i'm supposed to do. the other michael couldn't have been that close to the family if they got his address wrong.

By Nate on Friday, July 4, 2008 - 02:46 pm:

Possibly, though it seems daughter elizabeth was put in charge of sending thank you cards, so therein may have been introduced the error.

Is there an address for the other mike in the phone book? Maybe you can forward him the card.

These kinds of things hit me in the gut for some reason. Reminds me of how i threw away my lunchbag apple every day in 5th grade.

By Droopy on Friday, July 4, 2008 - 03:47 pm:

there's an address for the other mike, but how would i know he was the right one? he seems to be the other half of an address coin-toss, but i don't want to send him anything unless i'm sure he's the one whose supposed to get it. if i do anything, i would probably call the other mike or the people who sent the card.

By Nate on Friday, July 4, 2008 - 07:14 pm:

he has a better chance of being the right one than you do.

maybe you should just post the return address and encourage people to send sympathy cards.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, July 4, 2008 - 07:26 pm:

So droopy, is your name , Michael?

By jack on Saturday, July 5, 2008 - 03:13 pm:

so pepper, is your name, Sherlock?

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, July 5, 2008 - 11:15 pm:

So jack. is your name jack-in-the-box? Bwhahahaha!

By heather on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 05:21 am:

oh droop.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact