"Serious Music"? Phillip Glass!

sorabji.com: Worst music you've ever heard: "Serious Music"? Phillip Glass!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Phillipe Vidrio on Thursday, May 7, 1998 - 06:55 am:
    Good God! How anyone could play this without falling asleep face-first into their instrument...!?!? The first 20 minutes of listening to the same notes REPEATED OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER (is this interesting to read?) AND OVER AND OVER is almost bearable. My opinion is that music should have some contrast and should modulate NOTICEABLY from section to section. But hey, get me, music critic.

By Nate on Thursday, May 7, 1998 - 01:19 pm:
    I think you might have missed the point of the piece.

Not to say I wouldn't either, sounds like torture.

Maybe that's the point.

By Nate on Thursday, May 7, 1998 - 01:22 pm:
    I think you might have missed the point of the piece.

Not to say I wouldn't either, sounds like torture.

Maybe that's the point.

By Bruno on Monday, June 1, 1998 - 05:01 pm:
    Better than Yanni

By Ben on Tuesday, July 7, 1998 - 07:19 pm:
    Sorry, but Phil rocks... and he drives a mean cab, too, I believe. Grab a copy of "Itaipu" or "Glassworks", or "Einstein..." - stunning stuff...

By Ben on Tuesday, July 7, 1998 - 07:20 pm:
    Sorry, but Phil rocks... and he drives a mean cab, too, I believe. Grab a copy of "Itaipu" or "Glassworks", or "Einstein..." - stunning stuff...

By
Jess on Monday, November 23, 1998 - 01:42 am:

I agree, Phillip Glass is a master of the Mininalistic genre.
    Not only are "Glassworks"ect masterpieces but his amazing, fablous , fantastic scores to "Koyaanisqatsi" and "Kundun" complete these epic films. You cannot watch these films or think of them withput being reminded of the score written by Glass.
    If you don't appreciate the style look into it and understand what is achieved. Don't simply write it off.
    Immerse yourself in all types of music as it is important to listen and widely understand the different sounds being formed in the world.

By David in London on Wednesday, January 6, 1999 - 07:14 am:

Phillip Glass - best heard live, or through headphones, on a windy day with lots of cloud. Recline the body and just concentrate on those subtle changes of tonality. Watch the clouds drift by and relax. Who needs drugs, when you have the music of Phillip Glass.

By Ben Hecht on Friday, July 2, 1999 - 01:05 am:

Philippe Glase is a pseudonym for the worst thing. He has been, and always be, a NO TALENT! A pretender and a charlatan. A knave with holes in his socks that his mother won't mend!

A beast!

In the meantime, he still has no talent to write MUSIC!

Ask Tscaikowski, Handel, or Bizet, or even Beethoven for that matter. (I know they are all still dead...)

Disregard him.

By Suzy on Saturday, July 3, 1999 - 12:16 am:

I've met him. He's a cool guy.

By Sorabji on Saturday, July 3, 1999 - 12:49 am:

It's good to know that at this late hour Phil's music can still anger people who can't spell Kaichowskee. Or much of anything else.

By Ben Hecht on Saturday, July 3, 1999 - 01:10 am:

TCHAIKOVSKY! Pratt! And philip Glasshole is still a no talent CHARLATAN! We will all die and our children's children will never have heard of him and that is soooooooo cooool!

By Sorabji on Saturday, July 3, 1999 - 01:32 am:

stop masturbating.

wagner, chopin, and liszt (among many others) inspired almost exactly the same ... vernacular. i mean rhetoric. to the word.

the way i look at it, if a composer doesn't anger people and make them jerk off all over internet message boards and stay up late to see who responded to their latest "PHILIP GLASS IS MENTALLY RETARDED BUT I AM VERY SMART" posting then that acid brat composer has not done their job and they passed unnoticed. Phil makes certain people (some of whom can't spell, most of whom can't seem to speak intelligently about it) really angry day after day after day. For whatever you can say about his music, this is a good thing.

By Waffleboy on Saturday, July 3, 1999 - 12:59 pm:

I john Cage

By Rhiannon on Saturday, July 3, 1999 - 02:00 pm:

I didn't know john was a verb.

By Waffleboy on Saturday, July 3, 1999 - 05:09 pm:

oi vey....sorry (blush) i was half asleep, I..LIKE..JOHN...CAGE

By Antigone on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 06:44 pm:

No, Waffleboy, that was perfect the first time... I half laughed my ass off!

By Yseult on Monday, July 19, 1999 - 05:01 am:

ermmm... some of his stuff can be lackluster. i'm not a worshipper in any sense. i love the opera trilogy. Akhanaten particularly. his quartets for the Kronos quartet were yummy. Monsters of Grace was nice from what i remember. not to fond of his symphonies... oh well.

By Waffles on Monday, July 19, 1999 - 01:16 pm:

Kronos (YAWN!!!!) Quartet

By Waffles on Monday, July 19, 1999 - 01:18 pm:

try Tony Conrad of the original Dream Syndicate with John Cale, or better yet try his minimalists pieces he composed with Faust several years ago....

By Der Tungenmeizter on Friday, May 7, 2004 - 02:03 am:

By the way..sorry for the latishness of joining the slagfest™ (MMM! Is that a new millenium already?!) but I can highly regard Itaipu™ in pursuance of the Cunnilingual Arts™, to wit..the title piece, The Canyon™ if pretty much Act V in my personal 'Tongue Fucker's Suite In Five Acts'™.
    In fact it was awarded a Heuga™ tile @ the 2001 Sisters Of Sapho Carpet Emporium Awards™
    I dare you to try it...you might really lik it!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact