Offspring

sorabji.com: Worst music you've ever heard: Offspring
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By SheetsERR on Sunday, March 21, 1999 - 10:05 pm:

Their latest release starts out something like this....

"My buddys got a girlfriend and he hates that bitch.... blah blah"

What a talented band! Those guys ought to be cleaning dog waste from kennels. They certainly have no business writing music, let alone performing it. What a disgrace!

By Patsy Cline on Sunday, March 21, 1999 - 11:59 pm:

It's all in good fun. I'm not a fan, but I've given up on being a music god, or all country music after Tammy Wynette and George Jones divorced would NEVER HAVE HAPPENED.

By MoonUnit on Monday, March 22, 1999 - 02:43 am:

uh fuckit... i wrote a disagreement with that post.. and then it vanished... so anyway I love offspring - they are a great band with lots of meaningful songs... gone away for example or self esteeem... both my favs...

By Slacker on Monday, March 22, 1999 - 03:29 pm:

mine to. if you don't like it blah blah blah.....

By Smeillama on Monday, March 22, 1999 - 03:48 pm:

If I had never heard Black Flag, the Dead Kennedys, the Minutemen, etc, etc, I might have liked the offspring. But, I'd rather listen to the real deal. the lead singer in my band blames this on my being old.

By Slacker on Monday, March 22, 1999 - 07:54 pm:

wow, another old hardcore.
    go hard tub 'o' lard.

By Susan b. anthony on Monday, March 22, 1999 - 07:57 pm:

I used to have that about green day, having grown up in the dc punk scene, early 80s. now i say don't believe the hype (that is green day classifying themselves as punk) and i listen to the shit on its own merits, and it's not so bad. and that little s.o.b. dex (?) from offsping is (a) smart as shit -- something i really dig, and (b) fucking HOT. i'm shallow, but when i was in a band we had a bunch of dumb fun songs, and some thoughtful ones, and everyone liked the dumb ones, and so did we, because sometimes screaming "i want to kill you now" is more fulfilling than trying to fit "patriarchy" into any reasonable metric scheme.

By SheetsERR on Tuesday, March 23, 1999 - 12:40 am:

And would you consider the members of Offspring or Green Day to be quality musicians?

Maybe I'll try the lyrics thing, ya know? I'll assemble a panel of pre-teens and write some songs chocked full of the words "fuck" and "shit".

I'll get a couple of morons who can't play a lick and we'll be home free. We could be heroes!

If you'd like to here some good '90s rock, check out Phish. Their musical talent blows my mind.

By MoonUnit on Tuesday, March 23, 1999 - 02:51 am:

Yeah or you could go the whole 'manufacture' band deal... i.e Spice Bimbos, early Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan... etc etc etc... as too offspring being quality musicians - does it matter? If you like their music you like their music... and my opinion matters to me, as yours matters to you...

I like Offspring cause I can.

And i'm not pre teen, I'm 23... and I think more pre teens are interested in those 'boy bands' that get radio play singing those easy to remember lyrics with lots of nananas and counting.

Sorry Sem but I've never even heard of Black Flag (thats a type of fly-spray here) and Sheets, I've never heard of Phish either, but that may be cause New Zealand seems to be last on the list of music - and only popular seems to make radio play, altho apparently student radio is quite good...

then again you guys have probably never heard of Supergroove or Che Fu or Bic Runga or Dave Dobbyn or Coconut Rough or Split Enz or Crowded House or OMC (although apparently OMC made it to your charts, and Bic is supposedly too - the record company made her make another video for the US market... why? I have no idea....

blah blah rant rant... yawn

By MoonUnit on Tuesday, March 23, 1999 - 02:59 am:

My friend's got a girlfriend
    Man he hates that bitch
    He tells me every day
    He says "man I really gotta lose my chick
    In the worst kind of way"

She sits on her ass
    He works his hands to the bone
    To give her money every payday
    But she wants more dinero just to stay at home
    Well my friend
    You gotta say

I won't pay, I won't pay ya, no way
    Why don't you get a job
    Say no way, say no way, no way
    Why don't you get a job

I guess all his money, well it isn't enough
    To keep her bill collectors at bay
    I guess all his money, well it isn't enough
    Cause that girl's got expensive taste

I won't pay, I won't pay ya, no way
    Why don't you get a job
    Say no way, say no way, no way
    Why don't you get a job

Well I guess it ain't easy doing nothing at all
    But hey man free rides just don't come along
    every day

Let me tell you about my other friend now

My friend's got a boyfriend, man she hates that dick
    She tells me every day
    He wants more dinero just to stay at home
    Well my friend
    You gotta say

I'm sure this song reaches out to anyone who had a leech for a partner at some stage... my mums ex husband comes to mind... *hehe*

By Carrot on Tuesday, March 23, 1999 - 10:58 am:

Eh, it's a living. ;)

By Buddy holly on Tuesday, March 23, 1999 - 11:58 am:

I'm a HUGE Finn brothers fan, so don't get all toity on me, chica.
    AND I like Green Day AND I'm 31. As to quality musicianship: bite me, that ain't what it's about or I would really only listen to VH1 music, which of course I like now that I'm old(er). And that's if I was willing to accept that there was any musicianship in rock'n'roll at all.
    Look, sometimes 3 chords are all you need.

By Swine on Tuesday, March 23, 1999 - 12:27 pm:

i accidentally wandered into a Phish show during my first week of college back in '89. i hooked up with these folks in this "underground" society (basically a fraternity that got thrown off campus for repeated offenses of possession of controlled substances, hosting unauthorized social events, and admitting women)anyway, i was wandering around campus drinking wine on a head full of acid with these people when i heard something that sounded like a Jimi Hendrix Revival or some shit... i peaked into the place they were playing and saw these white guys bouncing up and down on trampolines with a vacuum cleaner off to the side playing the hottest cover of "Fire" i'd probably ever heard...
    that shit blew me away.

By Bagpuss on Tuesday, March 23, 1999 - 04:18 pm:

the dead kenedys had the greatest song titles ever (the songs were pretty good too).

and is it me, but doesn't the chorus of the new offspring song sound like Barbie Girl or something similar?

I like the dead kenedys AND the spice girls. Does this make me post-modern and "knowing"?

Who did the album "songs about fucking" with "kerosene" on it? Was it black flag?

I can't remember who I am sometimes.

By Cyst on Tuesday, March 23, 1999 - 06:33 pm:

coworker thinks "songs about fucking" was a big black album.

gotta love a job where you can play on the internet and yell across an office, "hey, who did 'songs about fucking'?"

By Gee on Thursday, March 25, 1999 - 04:50 am:

Spirit of the West! Spirit of the West!!

Rah rah siss boom bah!!

Oh, how I wish I were in Germany right now.

By SheetsERR on Saturday, March 27, 1999 - 12:42 pm:

Alright, so you've told me that you enjoy Green Day and Offspring. AND.... I'll tell you that I think you're a bit funny in the lap.

By Charlie Mota on Tuesday, March 30, 1999 - 06:36 am:

Oh god yes Offspring is pure SHIT!
    They sound more like Night Ranger than any punk
    I've ever heard...

By Nate on Tuesday, March 30, 1999 - 11:00 am:

I LOVED NIGHT RANGER, YOU PUCKERED RECTUM.

By Asia on Tuesday, March 30, 1999 - 01:03 pm:

puckered rectum??

that was the greatest thing i've heard all day.

thank you, nate. i adore you

By Pedant on Tuesday, March 30, 1999 - 03:24 pm:

Rather redundant though, or at least one hopes.

By SheetsERR on Tuesday, March 30, 1999 - 10:44 pm:

You like Night Ranger, huh?
    Let me guess - you also like Journey, Air Supply, REO Speedwagon, Leo Sayer, 38 Special & Peter Frampton???

I guess that's why you like Offspring.

By Budd Dwyer on Tuesday, March 30, 1999 - 11:21 pm:

aaaaah, lie down and roll over, twerp

By Gee on Wednesday, March 31, 1999 - 05:07 am:

freaking SPIRIT OF THE WEST for pete's sake!

By Swine on Wednesday, March 31, 1999 - 11:35 am:

is that R. Budd "Die Like A Fucking Pig" Dwyer of pennsylvania political infamy? i saw you blow your own brains out live on television when you called that press conference to profess your innocence in that whole bribery thing.

classy move.

By MoonUnit on Wednesday, March 31, 1999 - 06:49 pm:

Sheets...

funny in the lap???

I think you need to start paying attention to that bit where your name is with what you've posted underneath... you'll notice that no where on here does it say Nate likes Offspring...

I've got lots more to say but I'm so tired that I can't think coherently at the moment...

I'll be back when I've had sleep

By Swine on Wednesday, March 31, 1999 - 07:48 pm:

actually, nate is the president of the international Offspring/Night Ranger Fan Club.

and at night he moonlights at the San Jose Elk's Club where every tuesday they have Burt Bacharach Appreciation Night.

i hear he does a kick-ass cover of "What The World Needs Now (Love Sweet Love)"

By SheetsERR on Wednesday, March 31, 1999 - 11:21 pm:

heh heh
    beautiful!

Would someone else like to lay out an example of some good '90s music for me?

By MoonUnit on Thursday, April 1, 1999 - 08:29 pm:

uh guys... who the hell is night ranger?

By SheetsERR on Thursday, April 1, 1999 - 11:47 pm:

Sister Christian.... Oh, the time has cum!

By Nate on Friday, April 2, 1999 - 11:22 am:

uh, it's actually the international Damn Yankees/Night Ranger fan club.

offspring, no. no.

Everyone is invited to the Elk's Club tuesday nights. We play a mean version of the "Do you know the way.." drinking game.

By SheetsERR on Saturday, April 3, 1999 - 10:17 pm:

I heard that when Peter Frampton played live shows, women would wet their shorts. We're not talkin' lemonade!
    That's the man who destroyed rock 'n' roll.

By Margret on Sunday, April 4, 1999 - 08:10 am:

Heathen!

By Little Richard on Sunday, April 4, 1999 - 11:21 am:

Women wetting their shorts IS rock 'n' roll.

Sheeeeeesh! Some people...

By SheetsERR on Monday, April 5, 1999 - 11:27 pm:

Hmmmm...
    I was drunk when I wrote that.
    Women wetting their shorts - that is cool.
    I guess that was the only admirable thing about the former Humble Pie waste of airspace. I should have seperated that last post into a couple of paragraphs and elaborated a bit further on why I hate Frampton. Oh well, ya won't get it in this post either, ma' son!

By Crawford on Friday, August 20, 1999 - 02:28 pm:

Pavement is good 90's music. at least i think so.

By J on Friday, August 20, 1999 - 03:07 pm:

I saw a talk show,some groupie was on spilling the beans about all these rockers she had sex with, she flat out said Peter Frampton had a little pecker,Huey Lewis is packing some major big penis,that,s what she said anyway.

By Agatha on Friday, August 20, 1999 - 09:37 pm:

huey lewis's penis. eeew.

By MR X on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 11:50 am:

WHO THE HELL CARES

By Pfff on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 01:54 pm:

Huey

By FU on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 11:53 pm:

Yeah I heard the same tiredass cunt on TV saying Frampton was the smallest she ever had, so what? Bet he was the cutest. She knew sleeping with him he was probably going to be the skinniest too, but if you dig skinny bodies, he had to have been the ultimate. Who cares about the cock, I could've lost my hands in that hair of his for hours. He was fine looking.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact