Island Girl - Elton John

sorabji.com: Worst music you've ever heard: Island Girl - Elton John
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Perfidy on Friday, August 27, 1999 - 01:14 pm:

What is this song? And the worst thing is - it revolves in my mind constantly today. Help!

By J on Friday, August 27, 1999 - 04:15 pm:

Somebody call a Priest!!!This person has been possessed by Satan!!!I,m gonna tell God!!

By Cyst on Friday, August 27, 1999 - 05:00 pm:

anyone remember the video for elton john's cold war hit "nikita"?

as I recall, it featured a steely-eyed young slavic beauty.

but they play that song a lot still in kiev, and I have listened for gender-specific lyrics, and there are none.

and in russia, nikita is a male name.

By Rhiannon on Friday, August 27, 1999 - 05:30 pm:

My aunt bequeathed me her Elton John record collection when she left for Nevada. "Tumbleweed Connection" is my favorite (if you can say I have one), with "amoreena" being my favorite song.

Old Elton John is good. New Elton John is excrement.

"Levon" is another one I like...that line "the New York Times says God is dead" used to make me cry when I was little.

I also would cry at Bread's "If", James Taylor's "Sweet Baby James", and Jim Croce's "Time in a Bottle". I was such a softy.

By H on Friday, August 27, 1999 - 05:36 pm:

*sigh*

I get that way anytime I hear "Theme from Shaft."

By Simon on Friday, August 27, 1999 - 08:08 pm:

Me too, H.

And anything by Motorhead.

I'm just a sentimental fool.

By Waffles on Friday, August 27, 1999 - 08:17 pm:

did you ever see that episode of The Young Ones in which Motorhead rocked out right their in the living...."Ace of Spades"

By Rhiannon on Friday, August 27, 1999 - 08:31 pm:

Did you really like the Young Ones, Waffles?

By MoonUnit on Friday, August 27, 1999 - 11:12 pm:

I love the Young Ones.

I love that song they did with cliff richard. So funny.

Neil "does anybody know where the toilets are"
    Viv "shut up neil"

By Sorabji on Saturday, August 28, 1999 - 12:22 am:

i'm getting that way hearing out the opening song of "Midnight Cowboy."

whatever that song is called.

this is really great.

By H on Saturday, August 28, 1999 - 08:47 am:

Sorabji - I think it's called "Everybody's Talkin' at Me" by Harry Nilsson. Talk about a depressing film!

Simon - I agree with your sentiments re: Motorhead. I have to have a hankie handy anytime I hear "Killed By Death," "Dancing on Your Grave," or that sad syrupy lament "Snaggletooth."

Waffles - The Young Ones was great. They were doing fart gags way before those little cartoon scamps from South Park. Which of course merits a mention that Chef is "portrayed" by Isaac Hayes. Which brings us back to "Theme from Shaft." *sniff*

Full Circle.

By J on Saturday, August 28, 1999 - 10:22 am:

You want to cry,think about Blondie,so fat she could hardly move,she was singing"and I ran and I ran and I ran"and I was thinking maybe 20 years ago you could.Poor thing,she couldn,t really dance,mostly just hand-jive.When I got home,I looked up her bio,she,s 54 years old!!!!Then I thought,right on,at least she,s still trying to stay in the ball game.But she seemed so sad and tired after the concert.

By Simon on Saturday, August 28, 1999 - 05:51 pm:

Way back in about '79 or so, I was reading a Mad magazine that ran a segment on current pop stars. There was a series of cartoon pictures of what they will look like in ten years and in 20 years.

The only two that I recall now are Blondie and Keith Richards.

She was about 300 pounds.

He was decomposing.

And speaking of Blondie, does anyone else here think that her most recent single was probably ressurrected from ones that were written for an earlier album but never made the cut?

By J on Saturday, August 28, 1999 - 06:34 pm:

Yea,I do,thats all they played was their old stuff,nothing new.I also won the new C.D. with the tickets,they didn,t even play Maria.

By Cyst on Sunday, August 29, 1999 - 11:06 am:

debbie harry's in this great movie from a few years back. it's called "heavy." liv tyler and shelly winters are in it too.

am I the only one who saw this?

By Cyst on Sunday, August 29, 1999 - 11:09 am:

it's one of those movies about how no one really gets what they want and they all just have to settle. like in real life.

By Simon on Sunday, August 29, 1999 - 08:06 pm:

oooh... sounds depressing.

The only movie I can recall seeing Debbie Harry in is called Videodrome, or something like that. It was really weird. I saw it about 15 years ago. The only thing I can recall now is that I liked it at the time.

By JusMiceElf on Sunday, August 29, 1999 - 08:39 pm:

Wow. I loved Heavy. I saw it in the Little Theater at our local art house, which seats maybe sixty people, nice and small, in a basement, with exposed brick walls. Once, when a movie was oversold, I sat on the stone sill of the emergency exit door.

As for Heavy, I thought it was great. Pruitt Taylor Vince was great, hardly speaking through the whole movie, but showing *so* much emotion on his face and through his actions.

By Cyst on Monday, August 30, 1999 - 05:43 am:

yes. everyone who can deal with the truth should go see "heavy."

debbie harry, a cocktail waitress at a pizza joint, wants to marry the obese, 30ish pruitt taylor vince, who will inherit the restaurant from his ailing mother (shelly winters). but mom hires liv tyler, hoping that the babe will hook up with her son.

wacky hijinx ensue. a fun, action-packed movie good for both first dates and video nights at home with the family.

By Waffles on Wednesday, September 1, 1999 - 02:01 pm:

yes Rhiannon, I loved the Young Ones........i love british dark humor such as the Black Adder, Monty Python and the Young Ones but i don't have cable so I haven't seen them in years. and yes Sorabji that song does still like glue........

im sticking with you
    cause i;m made out of glue

By Dry poo on Wednesday, September 1, 1999 - 02:34 pm:

i love it when cyst suggests movies for those who can "deal with the truth."

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, September 1, 1999 - 03:44 pm:

The neatest thing about Black Adder was that everyone dies at the end of each episode....and I'm serious about that. I thought it was such a clever idea to have everyone laughing...ha ha ha...and then the next thing you know, the characters are (say) leaping out of the trenches in WWI and running towards their deaths. Your laughter dies in your throat and you just stare at the TV silently. Heavy.

I would have liked the Young Ones more (and I did find it funny) if it weren't so nauseating. Their kitchen always made me sick, as well as the random bodily fluids, garbage, mud etc. that were strewn about the place. The nausea outweighed the laughter with me. My brother loved it and used to have all the episodes on video. Vivian was my favorite.

Monty Python -- who doesn't love this?

By MooNit on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 05:08 am:

hehe I loved Rik. Rik. RIK!

By Rhiannon on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 12:16 pm:

Moonit, what's your email so I can talk to you about the Tom Waits mix deal?

By Rhiannon on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 01:54 pm:

Oh, sorry.

By Cyst on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 02:28 pm:

most hollywood movies stay far away from the truth about what life is really like. I prefer the relevant films, but I know not everyone does.

a good friend of mine almost never likes the films I recommend to her. so now she asks me, "so, does anything HAPPEN in this movie?"

do things HAPPEN in real life? or are your days pretty much all the same?

By Waffles on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 02:45 pm:

....i take the sartre stance on this type of question.....I am "nauseated" every so often. Ever since i left Vegas and I was disapointed by the amount of time I was able to spend with her, the lack of the big payoff, the humdrum realization that I couldn't have jack and cokes whenever i please that i couldn't drive myself into a hole just for the sake of seeing how far i could go and safely get back out. At times, life is so boring i want to become an addict of something....just do I can have a stuggle, just so i can feel grounded....like i mentioned of my drive through the desert. For a brief while i felt alive, well, grounded, a true part of this planet. Urban alienation? maybe. I used to get the "nausea" more often. I haven't had it in a while. I have it now. I do realize it is directly attributed to my psyche my failures. I just can't wait to get into the darkroom tonite and hope for something good to happen. I just hope those two nights i spent working on a bunch of self portraits (in handcuffs I might add) didn't come out to be a total flop. That happens sometimes, it's a real let down. To spend so much time on each frame, each shot, testing and retesting, measureing your depth of field, your focus margins, your light, doing every shot three times etc etc........i had a roll that came out really fucked up last week..........ah hell...i could go on........fuck it......life is boring cyst...........thing do happen but at times the seem to happen for all the wrong reasons.

By J on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 04:37 pm:

Thats when you have to go out and look for trouble.With a capital T.

By Cyst on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 04:45 pm:

I've shot five rolls of film in turkey. four have been of carpets.

I can't take photos when I'm in a bad mood. I am unhappy here. it's cool, though. to do a one-week job and earn enough to pay the rent for seven months.

I think tomorrow I am going to buy 11 carpets. saturday I'll shop for gaudy baubles. sunday I'll fly back to the states. my stuff will still be in kiev. maybe I will see it again someday.

in any case, I'll have the big leather traveling bag I've always wanted. you know, the kind that costs 300 or 400 dollars in the states? 40 bucks. you're lucky to find a fucking purse for that much in portland.

I guess it hasn't even been a week since I last saw a friend. five or six days. it seems like forever. how long have you ever gone without seeing a friend, family member or coworker?

god. I can't believe I'm going to be back in america on sunday. just like that.

he says he's seriously considering sending me on shopping expeditions to asia and africa. maybe I should let him.

but, really, right now I wouldn't mind being in a cubicle. I decided to turn down a dinner invitation from a merchant so I could be alone, and another one finds me at the outdoor cafe with my newspapers and pressures me into stopping by his shop for a fish grill.

yesterday morning he took my measurements for the leather dress and had it done by evening because he was hoping I would wear it out with him. hahahaha. I complained about the lining, so it went back to the tailor.

maybe I can be a professional dominatrix when I get back and that can be part of my uniform. I have to do something.

By J on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 05:02 pm:

$40.00 bucks,WOW!!But I,m glad your coming back to the states,I read they are still having tremors.

By Cyst on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 05:24 pm:

yeah. I was walking from the internet cafe to my leather tailor's shop the other day when someone asked, did you feel that? everyone freaked out and rushed into the street but I didn't notice. it was 5.5, I guess.

today I met christians who were here from seattle to help with disaster relief. they were looking for a good deal on rugs.

By Waffles on Thursday, September 2, 1999 - 05:36 pm:

come to LA and model for me Cyst...........

By Gee on Friday, September 3, 1999 - 07:43 am:

H - I remember the last time I heard the Shaft theme. I was drving along with this guy Mike in his great big giant convertable (I'm bad with cars, but it was old and stuff) and he had an 8 track player in it and the album he played had that song on it. We're driving along a busy street and the Shaft theme is blaring at almost full volume. It was really funny. I guess you had to be there.

Rhi - I always thought that too, about Black Adder. I mean about people dying at the end. But I've been watching more episodes and I have to ask...are you sure? Because the past few episodes I've seen, I keep waiting for Rowen to die and he doesn't. Did they make Black Adder and then stop making it and then start making it again? Because the episodes I'm seeing now all take place in the same time period and the ones where people died at the end seemed to jump around in time. Am I making sense?

Also, I never thought the deaths were heavy. I thought they were funny. I remember one episode where a character died at the end, and then he jumped up again to reveal he wasn't really dead....and then plopped down again because he Was dead. I thought that was hilarious.

By Ih on Friday, September 3, 1999 - 11:10 pm:

Fred is Dead, speaking of theme from Shaft, etc. etc. etc.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact