Lorena McKennet's (sp?) "The Mummers Dance"

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: Lorena McKennet's (sp?) "The Mummers Dance"
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Friday, April 17, 1998 - 09:57 am:
    What a unique and "fun" recording. Love it!

And for God knows what reason, I've also been humming Kenny Loggins' "Danger Zone" for the past couple days.

By Hartkr on Saturday, April 18, 1998 - 11:13 pm:
    songs going through my head right now are semisonics closing time& bare naked ladies brian wilson.Cant get them out.4/18 /98- 11:09 pm

By BRAD on Sunday, April 19, 1998 - 09:59 pm:
    the mummers dance. hmmm. go listen to princes 'when doves cry' or something like that. theyre more or less the same sng

By Pete Lukow on Monday, April 20, 1998 - 12:06 am:
    I have an intense loathing of the "radio edit" version of that song. It might be the "phat ero hep-pop beats", or the seeming lack of LM's style... I like the real version much more. One can hear the Hurdy-Gurdy and the mandolins.. yummy stuff.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Monday, April 20, 1998 - 12:20 am:
    Agreed, Pete Lukow. What I hate even MORE is the "dance remix" of Madonna's "Frozen." The original album version is an extraordinary piece of music.

By M on Monday, April 20, 1998 - 09:16 am:
    Get Loreena McKennitt's "The Visit" or "The Mask and the Mirror" if you really want to hear some of her good stuff. I was kind of bored by her latest album.

By Harass6969 on Friday, April 24, 1998 - 08:30 pm:
    Whats a mummer?All i know its a parade in Philadelphia every New Years day.

By Jason_Kallinae on Wednesday, July 29, 1998 - 11:55 pm:
    As far as I know, mummers were mythological beings belonging to Ireland who referred to them as "straw boys". They would appear on New Year's day.
    "People would dress up in straw and costumes and they'd go to their neighbor's place -- they wouldn't say anything -- but they'd come in and dance the Irish equivalent of square dancing," as told by Loreena McKennitt herself.
    PS. The song "The Mummer's Dance" is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

By
Galynn on Tuesday, May 11, 1999 - 01:08 pm:

What can I say, she has the most perfect, clear as bell voice I have ever heard, and her music is what dreams are made of!

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, May 11, 1999 - 03:08 pm:

You all have to get her album "The Visit": The Lady of Shallott set to music? Absolutely gorgeous. It's a stunning album; you feel like you're transported to some Medieval garden.

Or her Xmas album, "To Drive the Cold Winter Away": has the most beautiful song I've ever heard her sing on it, called "Snow." It makes me cry every time.

And I was blessed enough to see her in concert a few years ago, when she came to Wilmington, DE. If any of you ever get the chance to see her, GO. It's truly a spiritual experience. You leave the concert hall speechless and floating.

By Math net on Tuesday, May 11, 1999 - 03:52 pm:

hummer
    +
    peanutbutter
    ------------
    mummer

By Swine on Tuesday, May 11, 1999 - 09:41 pm:

no, that's a bummer.

especially if she's using that "extra crunchy" shit.

By Grandma on Wednesday, May 12, 1999 - 09:42 am:

what if she had no teeth? would that be a gummer?

By Math net on Wednesday, May 12, 1999 - 03:06 pm:

(cos(hummer))/(PI*d(peanutbutter)/d(hummer)((sin(peanutbutter)/arccos(peanutbutter))*sqrt(peanutbutter/peanutbutter*t)) = mummer

where:

t=f(extra-crunchy)/f(creamy)
    f(x) = x^2 + PI*x + tan(x) + K
    K = 2.83 (experimental value)

By Oscar on Friday, June 18, 1999 - 03:16 am:

"The mummer's dance" Es de lo mejor

By Margret on Friday, June 18, 1999 - 09:06 am:

Mummery is hoodwinking through artifice, mummers are actors. They may be an older meaning, but there you fucking have it. I am actually interested in older meanings, but not right now. Now I am interested in getting to work on time.

By Tim Riedel The Sylmarillion on Saturday, June 19, 1999 - 02:51 pm:

The symphony that Lorena creates, gives me inspiration like an inferno, blazing through me, filling me with a need to create.

By Cihan Can Harman on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 08:32 am:

Lorena is my emotion when i just love somebody just bored something or just feel another stuff she can explain all of my life with small and simple words but also she have magic charmed voice i think she must be an elf people can`t have the voice like hers.
    Thanks ...
    Cihan Can HarmaN from Samsun/Turkey

By V.v. on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 08:23 pm:

Cihan Can Harman,this Lorena i have no understanding of,yet you have such poetic words for this person,i will have to find out more.

By eri on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 09:08 pm:

I really like this song. Have it. It's reminds me of enya, but doesn't at the same time.

By V.v. on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 09:49 pm:

eri,Enya is amazing,i had lots of her music untill an ex-girlfriend borrows it from me and did not give it back.

By eri on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 10:57 pm:

Get the mummer's dance. You will like it. It's my favorite of all of her songs.

By V.v. on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 04:11 pm:

eri, will do,its like the old days when i had 3000 records,before my ex-girlfriends stole most of them as compensation.Its about time i rebuilt my collection.

By Tatiany DEsejo on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 07:46 am:

Gostaria muito de receber algum material que fale acerca da tua biografia... pois sou uma admiradora constante...com carinho, tatiany

By CMorrow on Friday, August 6, 2004 - 04:52 pm:

Im listening to her album "book of secrets" now. this stuff is the only stuff i can truely compose to. i am a writer of music, lyrics mostly for the time being and this can bring out the best of art in you. this album was my muse when i had nothing, i was basically dead inside she brought an awakening.

By Tatiany- Ouro Verde -MG on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 08:34 am:

Quero parabenizar a Lorena pelo seu trabalho que além de lindo, faz com que sejamos pelos minutos de suas músicas, apenas coração. Que bom poder te ouvir!!!!

By V on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 09:19 pm:

...and in English?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????or speak Greek.

By V on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 09:33 pm:

hombre,did you get my e-mail?

By V on Friday, September 24, 2004 - 09:42 pm:

It is too much that i ask that you speak Russian?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact