Love Rollercoaster

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: Love Rollercoaster
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By PetRock on Sunday, April 26, 1998 - 12:29 am:
    Not the original version of the song, which I think is pretty good, but this abomination.

It's like circus music for clowns on acid.

By Circus Clowns on Acid on Sunday, April 26, 1998 - 01:26 am:
    Hey! We don't rag on your music!

By Christopher on Sunday, April 26, 1998 - 02:48 am:
    The opening of Tom Waits "Black Rider" is the Devil's Carnival Music. If you've never heard it you should. Disturbing, yet refreshing..Like a Starbucks Enema!

By Harass6969 yes me again i know get a life on Sunday, April 26, 1998 - 10:37 am:
    SAY WHAT?????

By PetRock on Sunday, April 26, 1998 - 10:51 am:
    I'm just curious....did that link work for you all? It's my first time trying to link a site...be gentle with me :-p

By Markus on Saturday, May 2, 1998 - 01:21 am:
    Now, George was a good straight boy to begin with, but there was bad blood in him. Someway he got into the magic bullets and that leads straight to the Devil's work, just like marywanna leads to heroin. You think you can take those bullets or leave 'em, do you? Just save a few for your bad days.

Well, now we all have tose bad days when you can't hit for shit.

The more of them magics you use, the more bad days you have without them. So it comes down finally to all your days being bad without the bullets. It's magics or nothing. Time to stop chippying around and kidding yourself, kid, you're hooked, heavy as lead.

And that's where old George found himself. Out there at the crossroads, molding the Devil's bullets. Now a man figures it's his bullets, so it will hit what he wants to hit. But it don't always work that way.

You see, some bullets is special for a single aim. A certain stag, ot a certain person. And no matter where you aim, that where the bullet will end up. And in the moment of aiming, the gun turns into a dowser's wand and point where the bullet wants to go.

By Tarmac on Saturday, May 2, 1998 - 02:07 am:
    Uh... "Gimmie Back My Bullets" by Lynyrd Skynyrd?
    "Devil Went Down To Georgia" by Charlie Daniels?
    "Weekend Warriors" by Ted Nugent?
    Frankly, I'm stumped on this one...

By Markus on Saturday, May 2, 1998 - 02:33 am:
    There is a light in the forest
    There is a face in the tree
    I'll pull you out of the chorus
    And the first one's always free

You can never go a hunting
    With just a flintlock and a hound
    You won't go home with a bunting
    If you blow a hundred rounds

It takes more than wild courage
    Or you'll just hit the tattered clouds
    You must have just the right bullets
    Ad the first one's always free

You must be careful in the forest
    Broken glass and rusty nails
    If you're to bring back something for us
    I have bullets here for sale

Why be a fool when you can chase away
    Your blind and your gloom
    I have blessed each one of these bullets
    And they shine just like a spoon

To have sixty silver wishes
    Is a small price to pay
    They'll be your private little fishes
    And they'll never swim away

I just want you to be happy
    That's my only wish
    I'll fix your wagon and your musket
    And the spoon will have his dish

And I shudder at the thought of your
    Poor empty hunter's pouch
    So I'll keep the wind from your barrel
    And bless the roof of your house

By Pete on Saturday, May 2, 1998 - 12:37 pm:
    Could you repeat that? I didn't catch it all the first time.

By Christopher on Saturday, May 2, 1998 - 04:35 pm:
    Black Rider has been in circulation on my CD player for a couple years now. Markus, I had no idea you were a Tom Waits fan. How very cool. My favorite cut off of it is the opening:

Ladies and Gentlemen, deep from the jungles of darkest Africa........HUMAN ODDITIES!!!

My neighbors are very frightened.

By Christopher on Saturday, May 2, 1998 - 04:36 pm:
    Black Rider has been in circulation on my CD player for a couple years now. Markus, I had no idea you were a Tom Waits fan. How very cool. My favorite cut off of it is the opening:

Ladies and Gentlemen, deep from the jungles of darkest Africa........HUMAN ODDITIES!!!

My neighbors are very frightened.

By Markus on Monday, May 4, 1998 - 03:36 am:
    Years ago, I moved into a house with two brothers from South Boston, who were known by the various girlfriends and flotsam and colleagues in the bartender business (which we were all just getting out of after school) who passed through the house as the Flyin' O'Brien Brothers. I have a difficult time living with anyone else, but this was perhaps the most fun residence I've ever had. We used to dodge each other's creditor's phone calls, laugh our asses off at the black humor of the universe, and plan the beach bar we were going to open in Mauritius.

The truly odd thing was that we found out when we moved in that we had independently amassed eerily similar though complementary music and book collections. I'm not talking about some Buffett CDs left over from college. Stuff like Tom Waits, Johnny Clegg, the Saw Doctors, and the soundtrack from The Little Mermaid. We used to have a house rule that Tom could only be listened to after midnight.

I had discovered Waits in an earlier group house with a boring economics Ph.D. candidate and his Barcelonan girlfriend. They had a tape of Raindogs, and it was a huge breakthrough that reverberates to this day when I realized I could like something that didn't necessarily make rational, linear sense. Listening to him still sometimes gives me the inexplicable feeling that I should be driving across the country all night in a beat up '73 Camaro with expired plates and a homemade paint job with a teenage trailer park girl in a tube top in the other seat, a Saturday Night Special in the glove compartment, and a bottle of Virginia Gentleman stashed within easy reach.

The above lyrics from Black Rider (a joint endeavor between Waits and William Burroughs in Hamburg) don't make much sense without hearing them with music and being sung in Waits' voice, which sounds as if he's been gargling broken glass and chainsmoking unfiltered ditch weed. Those faint of heart should start out with the almost normal Closing Time and gradually make their way up to graduate level stuff like Black Rider and Bone Machine.

It's a shame that he long ago stopped performing and has gone Hollywood. I'd fly anywhere in the country at minimal notice to catch him live. I should probably be moving out to LA now just to better my chances if he ever does do a spontaneous show.

One of my favorite Waits lines was from the movie "Big Time": "The question that I get asked the most is....well, enough so that I'd mention it....People come up to me and ask, 'Tom, is it possible for a woman to get pregnant without intercourse?' And my answer's always the same. I say, "Well, we're going to have to go all the way to the Civil War....."

Never did like that dog.

By Christopher on Monday, May 4, 1998 - 04:19 pm:
    Markus, you crack me up.

A *shocking* sidenote:

Tom Waits played in a saloon in Oakland 2 years ago. Fairly unannounced, somewhat impromptu. I missed it. drats. I will keep my ear to the ground. If ANYONE is going to be at his next Bay Area appearance it is ME!

(I always heard that Tom called Northern California home. Please Mr. Dimaggio..Say it isn't so! Please don't tell us that Tom has gone south for the promise of e-z money and artificial breasts! )

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact