One Week - Barenaked Ladies

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: One Week - Barenaked Ladies
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Carrie Ann on Sunday, August 9, 1998 - 01:33 pm:
    I just bought the new CD like a week ago and I love it. Rarely are there CD's where I buy it for one song (I usually make it a rule to make sure there are at least 3 songs on that cd that I know and like before I purchase it) and end up liking the whole thing. But these guys just kick so much arse. They've been around for awhile, but I, myself hadn't heard much from them. Anyway, lyrics for the song are as follows......

-ONE WEEK- (Barenaked Ladies, off the CD "Stunt")

It's been one week since you looked at me
    Cocked your head to one side
    and said "I'm angry"
    Five days since you laughed at me saying
    "Get that together, come back and see me"
    Three days since the living room
    I realized it's all my fault, but couldn't tell you
    Yesterday you'd forgiven me
    But it'll still be two days til I say I'm sorry

Hold it now and watch the hoodwink
    As I make you make you stop think
    You'll think you're looking at Aquaman
    I summon fish to the dish
    although I like the Chalet Swiss
    And I like the sushi
    'cause its never touched a frying pan
    Hot like wasabe when I bust rhymes
    Big like Leanne Rimes
    Because I'm all about value
    Bert Kaempfert's got the mad hits
    You try to match wits, you try to hold me
    but I bust through
    Like Andrew Llloyd, I've got a big show
    Mine's about a Back-Hoe
    There'll be a big sound from the pavement
    Gonna make a break and take a fake
    I'd like a stinkin' achin' shake
    I like vanilla, it's the finest of the flavours
    Gotta see the show, 'cause then you'll know
    The vertigo is gonna grow
    'Cause it's so dangerous
    you'll have to sign a waiver
    How can I help it if I think you're funny
    when you're mad
    Tryin hard not to smile though I feel bad
    I'm the kind of guy who laughs at a funeral
    Can't understand what I mean?
    Well you soon will
    I have a tendency to wear my mind
    on my sleeve
    I have a history of takin off my shirt
    Threw your arms in the air
    and said "You're crazy"
    Five days since you tackled me
    I still got the rug burns on both my knees
    It's been three days since the afternoon
    YOu realized it's not my fault
    not a moment too soon
    Yesterday you'd forgiven me
    And now I sit back and wait
    til you say you're sorry

Chickety China the Chinese chicken
    Have a drumstick and your brain stops tickin'
    Watchin X-files with no lights on
    We're dans la maison
    I hope the Smoking Man's in this one
    Like Harrison Ford, I'm getting frantic
    Like Sting, I'm tantric
    Like Snickers, guaranteed to satisfy

Like Kurasawa, I make mad films
    Okay, I don't make films
    But if I did they'd have a Samurai
    Like Skywalker, gotta big hunch
    Hey, that's my lunch
    Yoda's a really really old guy
    Gonna get a set a'better clubs
    Gonna find the kind with tiny nubs
    Just so my irons aren't always flying
    off the back-swing
    Gotta get in tune with Sailor Moon
    'Cause that cartoon has got
    the boom anime babes
    That make me think the wrong thing

How can I help it if I think you're funny
    when you're mad
    Tryin' hard not to smile though I feel bad
    I'm the kind of guy who laughs at a funeral
    Can't understand what I mean?
    Well you soon will
    I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve
    I have a history of taking off my shirt

Dropped your arms to your sides
    and said "I'm sorry"
    Five days since I laughed at you and said
    "You just did what I thought
    you were gonna do"
    Three days since the living room
    We realized we were both to blame, but what could we do?
    Yesterday you just smiled at me
    'Cause it'll still be two days
    till we say we're sorry

By
Skottey on Thursday, October 1, 1998 - 01:20 pm:

If there is one song I cannot fucking stand it is this one. I ask myself everytime it comes on the radio, "Who the Hell would want to hear this shit?"
    Now I know who- no offense Carrie Ann but I Hate that song!

By Asia on Thursday, October 1, 1998 - 02:10 pm:

im not a huge fan of the song, but the lead singer has good hair. the issue i HAVE with the song is that it sticks in my head. all i have to hear is that friggen first line, and that's the end of it. in my head for hours.. bastards.

By Quidam on Thursday, October 1, 1998 - 02:23 pm:

Hmmm, I always thought they were watching the X-files with Donna Mason.

Thank you Sorabji.com!

By R.C. on Thursday, October 1, 1998 - 08:26 pm:

BLESS YOU CARRIEANN for posting the lyrics to One Week! Sorry folks/but I'm with Carrie on this one -- I LOVE that cut! (I keep meaning to buy the CD/but then I remember that a bag of IAM'S is the same price as a new release & well /kitty's gotta eat.)

As someone who's been around long enuf to remember when the only rappers with a record deal were The Sugarhill Gang & GrandMaster Flash & the Furious 5/& who has become totally disenchanted with what my bretheren & sisteren are doing with rap music today (as well as wannabees like The Beastie Boys -- don't EVEN get me started!)/I cdn't help but be wild abt 2 crazy whiteboys with the imagination & energy to do something truly NEW in terms of rap/to make it witty & infectious & totally devoid of vulgarity. And when I saw them in an interview/they were so charmingly down-to-earth & unpretentious -- none of the usual knucklehead posturing or attutide. I wish MTV wd play some other cuts from that CD/so I can get some idea of where these guys are at musically before I buy in. But I'm totally hooked!

C'mon Skottie -- you've gotta be an absolute grinch not to wanna dance around like a 5-yr-old & try to follow the lyrics when that cut comes on! Whenever I hear it/it always makes me smile. No song has done that for me since Yellow Sumbarine.

By Skottey on Thursday, October 1, 1998 - 09:28 pm:

RC

We obviously have very different tastes in music. I like the Beastie Boys! I hate Barenakedladies!

I did however think that little speech at the MTV music awards about world peace was pretty fucking stupid though. Please don't lame out on me Beastie Boys, please!

As far as feeling like a five year old dancing, No, that song does nothing for me. My son hates the song too! He is only 1 1/2 but he dances like there is no tomorrow if there is a song on that
    he likes.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Thursday, October 1, 1998 - 10:31 pm:

It's seems like 100 weeks since I was last able to post here... Glad to be back!!! YAY!

By Carrie Ann on Thursday, October 1, 1998 - 11:09 pm:

Welcome Back PJboy! *muah*muah*muah* I've been slacking on posting lately. Slowly making a comeback though.

You're very welcome R.C. :) I love BNL. That song in particular is getting a lil played out by now heh, but I still love the group nonetheless. Definitely when you have the extra moo-la layin around, buy that CD. And Grand Master Flash - wOo! He spun at a rave I was supposed to go to here in Seattle a couple weeks ago. I missed it though. :( Poop! Anyway, Barenaked Ladies are performing here this month but tix sold out before I could buy any. Double poop! But yep, they're an awesome buncha guys and I love their music. I crank it up and sing along whenever I can. :)

By Slacker on Friday, October 2, 1998 - 02:04 am:

r.c.!!
    your back!
    and your front.
    hows your noodle?

By Asia on Friday, October 2, 1998 - 08:44 am:

actually, the bnl song that i really like is the other one..you know that one...um..with the words. im trying to remember it...ohh...and i dont even know the title, it's something like 'broke into the old apartment..this is where we used to live..'. im all into that one. if i could figure out the NAME of the damn song, perhaps i could pick up the cd. or at least look for the mp3.

By Skottey on Friday, October 2, 1998 - 12:08 pm:

Thank God I have not heard any of their other songs, or at least I don't think I have. If I have heard another one of their songs I must like it more than "One Week" since I hate "One Week" more than any other song I have heard in recent years. I hate it!

By Juan on Friday, October 2, 1998 - 01:36 pm:

I saw Barenaked Ladies the first time in around '93-'94 at a bar in Austin, TX. My friends and I went in because

Bare
    Naked
    Ladies

was on the marquee. I just thought they had a pretty energetic stage show and lots of funny songs. The one I really liked that night was that I think must've been called "Be My Yoko Ono." I guess they just aren't some radio abstraction to me, just a bunch of guys who were responsible (partly) for a fun night. I was glad to start hearing them on the radio.

By Liam on Friday, October 2, 1998 - 01:52 pm:

Jim aka Pajama Boy,

I'd wondered where you had gone. Thought you must have met someone. Glad you're back.

By Carrie Ann on Friday, October 2, 1998 - 06:18 pm:

The Old Apartment (love it!)
    By: Barenaked Ladies

Broke into the old apartment
    This is where we used to live
    Broken glass, broke and hungry
    Broken hearts and broken bones
    Why did you paint the walls?
    Why did you clean the floor?
    Why did you plaster over the hole I punched in the door?
    Whis is where we used to live

Why did you keep the mousetrap?
    Why did you keep the dishrack?
    These things used to be mine
    I guess they are, I want them back

Forty-two stairs from the street
    Crooked landing, crooked landlord
    Narrow laneway filled with crooks

Why did they pave the lawn?
    Why did they change the locks?
    Why did I have to break it, I only came here to talk

How is the neighbor downstairs?
    How is her temper this year?
    I turned up your TV and stomped on the floor just for fun
    I know we don't live here anymore

We bought an old house on the Danforth
    She loves me and her body keeps me warm
    I'm happy there
    But this is where we used to live

Tore the phone out of the wall
    Only memories, fading memories
    blending into dull tableaux
    I want them back

By Quidam on Friday, October 2, 1998 - 08:50 pm:

Hey, are you guys *sure* they aren't watching the X-Files with Donna Mason?

By Asia on Saturday, October 3, 1998 - 08:14 am:

why, thank you carrie ann! that song just rocks. and i have this uncanny ability to turn on the radio when the song reaches the last stanza, which pisses me off to no end.

and im fairly sure there's no x-files involved.

By MoonUnit on Sunday, October 4, 1998 - 07:05 pm:

I just love One Week.. sorry guys but its just so catchy...and a million times better than all the spice girl shit they've been playing on the radio lately!

By PetRock on Sunday, October 4, 1998 - 10:28 pm:

Odd coincidence MoonUnit....right now Say You'll Be There is playing on my computer....(I visited that Spice Girls link that's posted on one of the other threads).

I hate the Spice Girls but even more I hate the fact that I find that song so goddamn catchy....

By Quidam on Sunday, October 4, 1998 - 11:15 pm:

I know what you mean Petrock. I'll be driving around and find myself humming "tell me what you want, what you really, really want" or whatever that song is called. It's almost enough to make you want to drive you car into a bridge.

I bet Dona Mason is behind this somehow.

By Carrie Ann on Monday, October 5, 1998 - 01:36 am:

Nope, not X-Files w/Donna Mason, sorry. Well, you never know though... I mean X-files = filmed in Canada... BNL = Canucks.... Hrmmmm... coincidence? I think not! Hehe. ;)

Dans la maison is some instrument, isn't it? I looked on the lil booklet and it said "so & so on Dans la maison." Hmmm.. but that wouldn't really make much sense in context of the verse. *shrug*

I'm going to Depeche Mode on December 7th.

By Carrie Ann on Monday, October 5, 1998 - 01:39 am:

Nope, not X-Files w/Donna Mason, sorry. Well, you never know though... I mean X-files = filmed in Canada... BNL = Canucks.... Hrmmmm... coincidence? I think not! Hehe. ;)

Dans la maison is some instrument, isn't it? I looked on the lil booklet and it said "so & so on Dans la maison." Hmmm.. but that wouldn't really make much sense in context of the verse. *shrug*

I'm going to Depeche Mode on December 7th.

By MoonUnit on Monday, October 5, 1998 - 06:48 pm:

I hate to admit it but Petrock and Quidam are right...those spice songs are stupidly catchy... I find myself yelling out the car window SPICE UP YOUR LIFE... people of the world... and it scares the hell out of me. What scares me more is that on a playstation demo disc I own theres a video of the Spice Girls playstation game and its so cool... I think its subliminal messages

By Quidam on Monday, October 5, 1998 - 09:56 pm:

Definately. Works on the same level of the brain that keeps me from turning the channel when "two become one" video comes on.

I know I should hate it. I know it should repulse me.

Yet I watch that video to completion almost everytime.

Why, I cannot say.

Mystery.

By NZAngel on Monday, October 5, 1998 - 10:55 pm:

it's the violins at the end. gets me every time

By MoonUnit on Tuesday, October 6, 1998 - 08:38 pm:

*sigh* I HATE subliminal messages

By Carrie Ann on Tuesday, October 6, 1998 - 11:12 pm:

Eek, did I post 2 times? *bad carrie, bad bad monkey*

so.... very.... tired.... new... job.... sucking.... life.... outta ..... me.... *fizzle*

By Quidam on Wednesday, October 7, 1998 - 03:45 am:

MoonUnit,

Hello. How are you? NO. Perhaps YOU sometime DON'T you and I could HATE enjoy a SUBLIMINAL nice waffle MESSAGES. You do like waffles, don't you?

And Carrie Ann, sorry you're job is sucking the life outta ya... but look on the bright side, 30-35 more years and you can retire :)

I hope it gets better though. Nothing is worse than a job that becomes a grind.

By Asia on Wednesday, October 7, 1998 - 08:53 am:

i've been sucked into spice world myself. out of nowhere, i find myself singing 'shake it to the left if you're having a good time!'. i cant help it. it's zippy. it's got rythm. it sounds pretty good and it makes me happy. i cant turn off the videos. i dont know what they've done to me but i think i like it in a creepy, over produced kind of way. i do have to say that i think sporty spice is probably one of the ugliest creatures on this earth. those teeth...ucchhh..

By Quidam on Wednesday, October 7, 1998 - 02:20 pm:

Is Sporty Spice the one who's always flashing knives around and doing kung-fu and stuff? Or is that Xena Spice? I can never keep them all straight.

By Asia on Wednesday, October 7, 1998 - 02:34 pm:

no, no..xena spice is the one who's on syndication. you still have to pay for sporty spice.

By MoonUnit on Wednesday, October 7, 1998 - 07:19 pm:

mmmm subliminal messages ; )

By Quidam on Wednesday, October 7, 1998 - 10:20 pm:

That's better.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Thursday, October 8, 1998 - 10:54 pm:

Thanks for the welcome back guys.

*Group Hug*

Liam, I did kind of meet someone. But that was not the reason for no postings. Just have not been able to get to the boards at all. Odd.

By The Prodigal Daughter Returned on Friday, October 9, 1998 - 12:00 am:

Hey Slack! My back & front are both fine. How's yr missus?

I had no idea that post from 10/1 actually took! We were still locked out back then. But His Markness has granted the AOL crew a back door into Sorabjiland. And I for one intend to say up 'til sunrise/read & post on every single board/til my fingers bleed & my eyeballs dry up!

*sigh* There's no place like home....

THANKS MARK!

- R.C.

By R.C. on Friday, October 9, 1998 - 12:08 am:

FYI: "dans la masion" is French for In 'Da House. (Really.) But there were 2 references that were totally over my head:

1. Who is Bert Kamepfert? (I was sure it said 'Bert Campra'/whom I was also sure was a gameshow host from the 70's. Which wd definitely be way before their time.)

2. What is the cartoon 'Sailor Moon'? Is it a comic book or on t.v. or what?

(You know you're getting old when you have to start asking folks abt the topical references in Top 10 hits!)

By Quidam on Friday, October 9, 1998 - 02:33 am:

Sailor Moon is just....weird. It's this cartoon / comic book about a girl, Sailor Moon, who uses her mystical moon powers to fight crime and stuff. Or something like that.

Being Manga / Anime, it has a *huge* fan base in the U.S. I worked at a comic book store right out of college and it sold like crazy. Although I never understood the fascination, it was (maybe still is) quite popular.

By Carrie Ann on Friday, October 9, 1998 - 02:49 am:

Yeah, I think I had heard that meaning of dans la maison before. Just wasn't sure though. Thanks for clearin it up, R.C. :)

Well, not sure about Bert but I can tell ya that Sailor Moon is a cartoon (Japanese... 'anime') http://www.sailormoon.com/ I have a lot of friends who are into it/her. I'm not really that fond of it, but it's not too bad, I suppose.

Thanks, Quid for the reassuring words. ;p Well, to keep with the 'theme' of the post... it's been ONE WEEK since I started work there. Heh.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Saturday, October 10, 1998 - 09:48 am:

R.C., Bert Kempfer (sp?) was a instrumental musician in the late 50s early 60s I think. I think he created elevator music.

By Smoothgroove on Saturday, October 10, 1998 - 01:10 pm:

It's Bert Kaempfert. He was a german composer and producer who didn't necessarily invent elevator music, but was certainly responsible for some of its classics.

Go here for more details:

home.earthlink.net/~spaceagepop/kaempfer.htm

Only you can keep the mellow hits alive.

By R.C. on Saturday, October 10, 1998 - 06:58 pm:

Jeez! You guys are just to terribly hip for me!

By R.C. on Saturday, October 10, 1998 - 07:00 pm:

Pardon the "to" typo -- the 'Ritas are apparently kickin' in! I really do know better.

By Shannon on Thursday, October 22, 1998 - 06:32 pm:

Hey guys!! I'm new here, so: HIGH!!!!

I love this song, watch mtv when they've got "Say What" on, you'll get the lyrics then. "dans la maison", it's French. (I took 2 yrs. of french, 'can't remember much though. damn.) It's something like "on the house" or "near the house" or something about "the house". "la maison" = house. I'm almost certain "dans" is "in" or "near". I'll have to ask my friend about that one.
    There's definitely something about the X-Files, but I thought it was "watching X-Files with Donna Mills on." Don't ask 'cuz I have no bloody idea!!
    Personally I can't stand Sailor Moon, but I know some guys who think she's hot. Come on, she doesn't even have pupils! What's up with that?!?!
    Since I am new here, do you guys come to the same spot every day or what? Is there some sort of sacrifice ritual I must go through to become "one of you" or do you guys just cruise the net a bit too much like me?
    I'm off, but "Have a peachy day!!" (those of you who've seen "Labyrinth" should understand that one!!) "I'll be back!!!"

By R.C. on Saturday, October 24, 1998 - 07:08 pm:

Salutations, Shannon!

As long as you're not an AOL user/you're welcome her anytime. Or anywhere else in the Sorabji Asylum/for that matter. (AOLers require special access to the msg. boards/but only if our Heavenly Host deems us worthy.)

However, His Markness does demand certain sacrifices from his acolytes. First/you will be required to read & committ to memory the info located here & also here. There will be a test later -- no grading on a curve either.

Sorabjians are also expected to read The Stories, -- mystical writings by our Heavenly Host. Some folks come here & never bother to study The Scriptures -- but that's their loss. You see, dear child/in addition to being a gifted pianist with an incredible knowledge of classical music (some of which He occasionally posts for the spiritual edification of His followers)/our Host
    is also quite an interesting writer. Somewhat erratic in terms of tone/but every so often/His Markness gifts us with wonderfully personal pieces on experiences we've all known & shared/but never expressed in such a unique way. Stories abt special places. Or driving around on a summer nite. Or how the good die young. And then there are the tales of really amazing things that only happen to the gods/like Mark's correspondence with a famous musician, that remind us all of how truly unworthy we mere mortals be. But then/those are just my personal favorites among the Scriptures.

And of course/there is the Day of Ascension -- our high holy day. Every New Year's Eve at midnite/12 specially-chosen Sorabjians gather outside of our Host's apt, bldg. in NY -- 6 women & 6 men. Each of the men carries a six-pk. of Guiness Stout. Each of the women carries a boombox playing a CD of Sorabji's 'Le Jardin Parfume' (which is why you must do the reading, dear). They form a circle on the sidewalk/utter a few incantatory words/then queue up single-file & march around Mark's bldg. 7 times (to symbolize how the planets revolve around the sun). After the last orbit/the women take the Guiness & hand off the boomboxes to the men. Then our Heavenly Host opens his window/leans out & calls the names of 3 of the most beautiful & buxom females down below/ summoning them to ascend to his apt. & share their offerings with Him. I am told that His Markness prepares a sumptuous feast for them of cheeseburgers & very strong coffee. But what happens after the eating & drinking/no one knows -- The Chosen Ones are forbidden to speak of the mysteries that take place within the sanctum santorum.

It takes abt a year to really get drawn into Sorabjiland. In our Father's house/there are many mansions. Just filtering thru all the stuff at
    The Ancient Temple will take several months. Plus there are so many religious icons to explore that it's easy to lose sight of the more spiritual aspects of the whole endeavor. And of course/ther are many different prayer groups that one can join.

All in all/the kingdom of Sorabji is an experience like no other in the in the wide world of Web.

By PetRock on Sunday, October 25, 1998 - 12:27 am:

Quite good R.C.....bravo!

only 2 minor quibbles:

1. None of the links would work for me

2. I'm beautiful but I'm hardly buxom OR female. But you are right in that I can't talk about it.

'nuff said....

By R.C. on Sunday, October 25, 1998 - 01:04 am:

WHAT! My fucking links don't work? It took me 2 hrs. to find all those pgs./bookmark them/ type out (apparently/one can no longer cut-&- paste stuff into this box) the URL's for the \link thingees. @#$*&%! I am such a web cretin! Lemme go test them....

By R.C. on Sunday, October 25, 1998 - 01:16 am:

DAMNNNN! Somehow/the URL's all got corrupted! When I hit the links/they come up with this File Not Found Msg. & some crap abt
    urs/local/htdocs -- which is NOT the address I typed in. Curses -- foiled again!

Anyway Shannon -- if you do come back/just go to the front entrance (http://bbs.sorabji.com)
    & wander around form there. The primary links are all there. Mark's got tons stuff to read here & at the other site (The Place of General Happiness/which I call The Ancient Temple) & it's all worth exploring. This place isn't yr usual web diary -- it's much weirder & more wonderful...

[I am so fucking embarassed... Sweartogod/I worked SO HARD to make sure all those links were letter-perfect! NOTHING pisses me off more than a bad link to somplace I really wanted to see!]

Just shoot me now, Roc/& put me out of my misery...

By PetRock on Wednesday, October 28, 1998 - 09:34 pm:

Aww.....you'll recover R.C.

Ya just gotta give it time. But you get an A+ for effort.....

By Carrie Ann on Friday, October 30, 1998 - 09:31 pm:

*Hands R.C. a happy mister pumpkin face cookie*

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact