Waits, of course

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: Waits, of course
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Markus on Friday, September 11, 1998 - 07:58 pm:

Well, Frank settled down in the Valley and hung his wild years on a nail that he drove through
    his wife's forehead. He sold used office furniture out there on San Fernando Road and assumed a $30,000 loan at 15 1/4% and put a down payment on a little two bedroom place. His wife was a spent piece of used jet trash who made good Bloody Marys and kept her mouth shut most of the time, had a little Chihuahua named Carlos that had some kind of skin disease and was totally blind. They had a thoroughly modern kitchen, self-cleaning oven, the whole bit. Frank drove a little sedan. They were so happy.

One night Frank was on his way home from work, stopped at the liquor store, picked up a couple Mickey's Big Mouths, drank 'em in the car on his way to the Shell station. He got a gallon of
    gas in a can, drove home, doused everything in the house, torched it, parked across the street, laughing, watching it burn, all Halloween orange and chimney red. Then Frank put on a Top Forty station, got on the Hollywood Freeway, and headed north.

Never could stand that dog.

By Jon on Thursday, December 24, 1998 - 08:58 pm:

This cut gets a spin on my cd player every two weeks or so... it's short, it's sweet and it sums up some sort of nervous dread I feel almost constantly...

By Rhiannon on Thursday, July 1, 1999 - 02:42 pm:

Oh, the coincidence! I was just going to post about this and what do I find...

Right now, "Innocent When You Dream" from "Frank's Wild Years," of course, is playing on the stereo. Though, actually, "Diamonds and Gold" from "Rain Dogs" is going through my head. I have to figure out how that works...

Tom Waits is a god. Of what, I don't know, but he definitely possesses supernatural abilities. Amen.

By X on Friday, July 2, 1999 - 04:55 pm:

anybody got a light?

By Suzy on Saturday, July 3, 1999 - 12:14 am:

Funny. I recently lost my copy of "Anthology" and so have been listening to "Frank's Wild Years" A LOT lately. How I do LOVE this man!

By Sceptre on Saturday, July 3, 1999 - 12:59 am:

Hey all you on this thread,
    The other day I heard a song by Tom Waits called "The house where nobody lived" on the way to work. A really cool NJ free form station called WNTI played it.
    I guess I must be depressed or all the Placidyl from the 80's is catching up with me, cause I live near an abandonded farmhouse that this song reminded me of. Almost pulled the gun (weapon, armament etc) and joined the spirits.....
    And while I have an audience, have you ever seen an abandonded house, but you just somehow knew that LIFE was there before. Or saw a portait in a museum or artbook, and realized what emotion had hold. Or have you ever walked down a road, not an interstate or a state, but a county that dates back to an Indian trail.

If you did, I guess I saw you there.........

By Fetidbeaver on Saturday, July 3, 1999 - 10:30 am:

I have a 110 year old home and I sometimes sit here and think about the people who lived here before. The birth of their first child. Christmas, Thanksgiving 1900,1920,1950,1960. Where are they now, are they dead, in jail, on the other side of tomn......?

By R.C. on Sunday, July 4, 1999 - 02:56 am:

You live in 110 yr. old hse? Kewl! May I ask where & what type of architecture?

And have you had any poltergeists?

By FETIDBEAVER on Sunday, July 4, 1999 - 08:19 am:

Victorian, bric-brac on porch etc. In Iowa. No ghosts but interesting remnants of the past, like the person who carved their name perfectly into the hardwood floor. We removed the dining room wallpaper and found a hand painted mural of the Mississippi River with steamboats, slaves etc.
    We had an art student from the University come look at it and she stated that it was an amatuer, but very nice. When I lived in LA I couldn't have bought a house like this for less than 250,000.
    Bought it here for 35,000 did some remodling and now have a total of 43,000 in it, what a bargain.

By J on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 06:18 pm:

I lived in a house that was built before the civil war in a town called Milton,one of those schools where everyone is related,kind of town,what a drag but the house was sooo speacial,it had a verranda and a well,and stain glass windows,and two fireplaces.It was the most beautiful house I had lived in(rented,30 miles from the V.A.hospital).I always wanted something like that,but I,m living in house that looks like everyone else,s beige stucco and red tile roofs,shit.That house in Milton was the last stop for my dad I know part of me died there too.

By J on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 07:11 pm:

But even before he died I went to the town library wich was half of the barber shop and mostly donated.I got West Virginia Ghost Stories and The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test,go figure out in bumfuck West(by God)Virginny.

By FETIDBEAVER on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 11:31 pm:

Where do you live now? Pre Civil War house now a stuco, what a change.

By J on Tuesday, July 6, 1999 - 11:57 am:

I live in Chandler,Arizona,the suburbs,and I would rather be anywhere else,than here today.My airconditioner went out yesterday.

By Markus on Thursday, July 8, 1999 - 06:15 pm:

Central Park (everyone else copied us) was right on Main Street in the Iowa town whoere I grew up. There's this huge 80-100 year old house overlooking the park next to the old Carnegie library. It's three floors, all with screened in porches, plus cavernous basement, beatiful thing. It went for $32K a couple years back. I couldn't believe my family didn't let me know it was up for sale. Now some scumbag realtor is using it for an office.

Beav, I take it you're near IC. Get a second opinion on that mural, if it's still there. Folk art is a specialty that a student might not have a grasp of; it could conceivably be worth more than the house. Or not.

By Waffleboy on Thursday, July 8, 1999 - 07:06 pm:

i live in a Neutra influenced apartment bldg. built in the 50's. Alot of houses/apartments in Silverlake have a a Frank Lloyd Wright, Neutra, post modernist quality about them. I love my neighborhood and the minimalists

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Friday, July 9, 1999 - 08:18 am:

Is it a gated community, Waffleboy? Gated communities give me the creeps.

By FETIDBEAVER on Friday, July 9, 1999 - 10:17 am:

Yeah we left the painting and put some sealer on it.(I hope that wasn't a misstake)
    Also decided to renovate the kitchen, removed a wall that hid a chimney. Inside the wall was a bunch of signatures and 'This wall built halloween night 1953". They also drew devils and witches. I found it amusing then got to wondering where the authors are today.

By Waffleboy on Friday, July 9, 1999 - 11:55 am:

no Jim, my apartment bldg isn't gated and neither is my community although there are some super rich house just above me in the hills that are gated but thats where the likes of Madonna and other rich fuck superstars live. A friend of mine who is a cinematographer just bought a house around there for about $800,000 w/ a pool and I am sure a view that would kill. thats not uncommon around here,

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Friday, July 9, 1999 - 06:39 pm:

Glad to hear it Waffledude! I can see myself moving to Marina Del Ray. I loved that place. Unfortunately, I don't make enuf bread to live there just yet!

By Waffles on Friday, July 9, 1999 - 07:10 pm:

yeah that place is really tight too, they keep a strong hold on who moves there and they screen newcomers hard. they jack rent if they think you don't fit in to their scheme of things. the area where i live is called Silverlake/Los Feliz adjacent. Silverlake is comprised of Latino families, artists and rich upper crust gay men and lesbians who own dog washes. You should see the mix when they have the neighborhood street fair. Boys in leather with their "dogs" on leashes, hipsters and artists dazed and high (thats me i think???) and political granola lesbians and of course the most sane and normal folks are the mexican families and the occasional gangsters. Los Feliz is full of movie stars and gated communitites and uptight old fucks. Silverlake is actually very gay but not as loud as WeHo. Weho belongs to the circut boys and lipstick lesbians so to speak. I love my hood because it's one of the few places in metro LA, where I can walk across the street to the gay bar, buy coke, walk two doors down, swish it down in a mexican dive with a corona, walk 2 blocks and hit the German bar for a pitcher of becks, go next door to some hipster meat market in chinese decor, go next door to that and hit a polynesian tiki bar and get loaded on one $8 drink and if I am still standing, walk across the street to the thai kareoke bar and have my nipples pinched by the loaded waitresses.

....all this....with the assumption that any of you care.........which i doubt you do, just killin time before the weekend starts again.

By FETIDBEAVER on Friday, July 9, 1999 - 08:14 pm:

Silverlake? What's around that area? I'm trying to place it in my mind. I moved from LA county 9.5 years ago and can't remember a Silverlake. I'll be back in Long Beach in August. Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait!

By FETIDBEAVER on Friday, July 9, 1999 - 08:16 pm:

Have to run upstairs and find my Thomas Guide.

By Waffles on Monday, July 12, 1999 - 10:53 am:

silver lake is next to hollywood betw een echo park and downtown, near dodger stadium, griffith park, observatory, sunset blvd., all that happy horse shit

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, February 16, 2000 - 03:59 pm:

I'm listening to "Pony" off of "Mule Variations" right now. God damn, but it's sad.

By Patrick on Wednesday, February 16, 2000 - 05:59 pm:

Rhi, did you ever pick up that new Make Up? I have been listening to that a lot lately and god damn its hots.

I also keep forgetting your Judah Bauer polaroid, but i will get it out in the mail asap!

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, February 16, 2000 - 07:17 pm:

No, but I will one of these days. I want to get the posthumous Morphine CD next. Someone told me it's slower and sultrier than all their other stuff. This I have to hear.

Mark Sandman R.I.P.

By Patrick on Wednesday, February 16, 2000 - 07:55 pm:

i have heard nothing that tops Morphines first album Good.

I remember when they toured for that record. They came to a shit hole club in Greensboro when i was in college. They we unheard of and my friends and I were blown away by them. The upright bass was a new compliment to modern rock we had not experienced, and talk about sultry, man thats sexy album...

Speaking of slow, and sultry, have you ever heard Coedine? Talk about slow....my god, they play just like the narcotic, as a drummer, it can be fuckin difficult to play beats that damn slow, but my god were they amazingly on time..

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, February 16, 2000 - 08:21 pm:

It's funny you say that. My brother's a drummer, and last time I was home he wanted me to play with him (we've got an electronic piano in the basement). He got fed up with me because I can't improvise well at high tempos. He kept yelling "go faster! faster!" and then he quit in disgust.

If Codeine is slow and sultry, I'll have to check them out. Sultry is the key. Slow by itself is dull. I'm not a big fan of Low for that reason.

By semillama on Wednesday, February 16, 2000 - 08:53 pm:

check the latest issue of CMJ for the new Morphine track, "a Good woman is Hard to Find" I was suprised to hear a guitar on it. Classic stuff.

By Patrick on Thursday, February 17, 2000 - 12:08 pm:

you probably wouldn't like coedine, in hindsight, they aren't that sultry......have you eve heard slowdive? they are a good english new wave pop...very slow, very dreamy, very sad at times......you have never taken drugs, but to me they put music to a sexy peak on X........when your whole body quakes and shivers, you are so overloaded by your senses, you just have to sit and wait it out.......

coedine is like....a slowed down version of Galaxy 500

heads up mailbox

By Rhiannon on Thursday, February 17, 2000 - 01:43 pm:

Yay!

Did you send me a goofy picture of yourself?

The girls in my alcove think I'm weird, according to a girl who's friend with all of us and who has no qualms about talking behind people's backs. Anyway, so I thought I'd put the pictures on my door and then see what they thought of me then.

Slowdive: I've heard good things about them, but never heard them. Oh, there's so much music I have yet to hear!

By Patrick on Thursday, February 17, 2000 - 02:00 pm:

yes there is a goofy polaroid i took this very morning. It stopped raining and the sun was beaming, perfect for goofy polaroid. I also included a few other items of fun.......

By Rhiannon on Thursday, February 17, 2000 - 04:19 pm:

Hmmmm...that seems kind of ominous. Am I going to have to go to confession after I open the envelope?

By Patrick on Thursday, February 17, 2000 - 04:55 pm:

no no, don't worry my pious friend. no butts, boobs or boners...

By Rhiannon on Thursday, February 17, 2000 - 06:34 pm:

Thank you :)

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact