Vitamin C :::: by most righteous sound artisans CAN...

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: Vitamin C :::: by most righteous sound artisans CAN...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Bryan on Wednesday, October 7, 1998 - 09:09 am:

Grooving on a most higher plain...fueled by Jaki's unearthly kickass of a backbeat/breakbeat grooving. Any Can-freaks out there in Sorabji Land??

By Agatha on Wednesday, October 7, 1998 - 11:55 pm:

aye aye, sir. i love can. damo suzuki played the other night in seattle, and i didn't go. i wanted to, though.

By Bryan on Friday, October 9, 1998 - 01:41 pm:

I as well missed the Damo tour. I should probably be subjected to forty or fifty lashes for this but ahhwell.. In my defense, it did mean a four hour drive to Chicago (not much of an excuse but it's all I've got). I really would like to hear some feedback from anyone who checked the show out though. There was some type of a boxed set that came out earlier this year that had a good chunk of live performances from what was apparently the same basic line-up...I heard it was a pretty intense CD set...I guess we missed out. Let's just cry in our beers at the count of three...

By Agatha on Saturday, October 10, 1998 - 02:44 am:

i didn't know about that boxed set. i'm all over that.

By Bryan on Monday, October 12, 1998 - 08:44 am:

Good luck finding it...
    I know someone who has it; I should probably ask where they picked up on it and try to get one myself now that I'm thinking about it.

By Agatha on Wednesday, October 14, 1998 - 01:33 am:

on a slightly different tack, i am listening to "here come the warm jets" by brian eno right now. that's a pretty righteous album, as well. i'm dating myself again, does anyone use the word album anymore?

By Bryan on Wednesday, October 14, 1998 - 09:27 am:

Yeah...I use that antiquated word often and, in fact, own well over a thousand pieces of vinyl that I play all the time...in some ways preferred over the ever-omnipresent little shiny discs. (...we could get into a heated debate over the "warmth" and "richness" of vinyl sound over which many people will tell you you're full of shit...but these people most likely don't own a quality turntable, or turntable at all for that matter (...and unfortunately, you really do need a fairly nice table to completely pull out aformentioned sound qualities..) but hey, vinyl still rules. By the way, Here Come the Warm Jets (and the 2 or 3 following Eno "albums") are most definitely very righteous musical documents. Coincidentally, I recently went through a Eno/Eno-era Roxy Music (first two albums of theirs..haven't dismissed those have you?) listening phase...(I think "Warm Jets" and "Tiger Mountain" are still in my 'current listening' stack actually...). Great stuff...belongs to the 'best of the '70's' musical canon without a doubt.

I will now end this message before any more ()'s and ...'s appear. Thank you...have a good (day).

By Nelly on Wednesday, October 14, 1998 - 11:56 pm:

Now I'm having to crank up the old turntable and listen to Tiger Mountain again. The Roxy album I came in on, though, was "Stranded" which doesn't even have Eno, but is still my favorite.

I have a history of not picking up on things until long after my friends do... just slow or something... and then an album will open the door and I'll "get it" and go back and get earlier ones. It was like that with Bowie too, Station to Station was the one that finally clicked with me. I don't know if I couldn't get past the makeup with him until he took it off, or if it was just that album which was a turning point... Then later I got fascinated with Diamond Dogs... and Aladdin Sane... etc. etc.

By Agatha on Thursday, October 15, 1998 - 01:40 pm:

my favorite david bowie album is "kooks". i love that one. i played the song "kooks" right after cleo was born, as an attempt to welcome her into the world. i did not know that brian eno was in roxy music. how ignorant. the only roxy music album i have is "avalon", which is probably one without brian eno on it. also, on the eno/fripp thing, have you ever heard the league of crafty guitarists?

By Bryan on Thursday, October 15, 1998 - 04:53 pm:

League of Crafty Guitarists...most crafty...Fripp is most cool gentleman of a guitarist. '73-'74 era of Fripp's prog-rock-excess vehicle King Crimson is quite ass-kickin'...have been hipped to some of the live material from that era recently by a friend of mine. Almost reminiscent of electric-era Miles Davis with "that" kind of a vibe/groove.
    Quite interesting that you're be into Eno and not know about his Roxy Music stint. It's not too late you know...check it out. Essential listening...the first self-titled LP (...yes, I will still refer to them as LP's) and the second one called "For Your Pleasure" are the ones harking back to their Eno-era. As Nelly observed, "Stranded" and even the next one "Country Life" are also quite good even though they don't have Eno on it.
    Also recently received a forwarded E-mail from a friend regarding a review of one of the Damo/Karoli shows...it was, of course, awesome by all reports. Ah well...

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact