aahh -- the dirty three

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: aahh -- the dirty three
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By O on Sunday, October 25, 1998 - 05:26 pm:

Not that you can actually tell any of their songs apart (except for that gorgeous song, "Hope," from their Horse Stories album).

Right now, I've got something from Ocean Songs rolling around in my brain, and it doesn't help that I can't hum it (since there is no melody).

But I'm enjoying the experience.

By Bryan on Monday, October 26, 1998 - 08:59 am:

Yes...the Dirty Three are a most righteous musical unit. Actually, I kind of disagree that you can't hum ANY of their songs, although the tunes, etc. do tend to bleed together. The early albums (Sad & Dangerous and that first one on Touch & Go...I think it was just self-titled) are a little more abstract and all over the place...on those the tunes are more distinct and perhaps even hummable. By this time, with Ocean Songs, that album is much more tightly focused and is practically one long rolling piece. Ever catch these guys live? Pretty intense...the violin player is funny as hell and goes nuts when he's playing. Last time I caught a show of theirs, a friend of mine is yelling in my ear at the apex of a particularly chaotic jam, in complete amazement, that "they're only playing one fucking chord!!" Not sure if they were being critical or not, but that comment actually highlights what is so special about the band. There music has next to nothing to do with "chords" or "songs", but rather is an exercise/exploration in dynamics and texture. Something that, in lesser hands, would turn into self-indulgence, but with the Dirty Three...

Oh, by the way, personal picks (and I'm not sure if I'm getting the titles right) for fave compositions...Indian Love Song and Susan's Last Ride.

By Slacker on Monday, October 26, 1998 - 01:49 pm:

right now i r got no song in my head.

but i got some magic beans

By Ocarina twiddler on Monday, November 2, 1998 - 09:36 am:

What might them magic beans do...?

By Reknball on Wednesday, November 4, 1998 - 01:42 am:

Immigrant Song-Led Zep
    ..more beans please!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact