Leonard Cohen !!!!

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: Leonard Cohen !!!!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Me..... on Thursday, November 12, 1998 - 03:15 pm:

Sisters of Mercy - know it?

By Agatha on Thursday, November 12, 1998 - 09:17 pm:

i love the song "suzanne". my favorite leonard cohen song. have you heard the album that jennifer warnes put out that is all leonard cohen covers? i think i've talked about it before on here, but if you haven't heard it yet go out right now and buy it. it's great.

By Me.................... on Friday, November 13, 1998 - 12:15 pm:

Yeah, I really like her voice - I WILL get it!!
    Have you heard 'Hey,That's No Way To Say Goodbye'?
    Judy Collins & Joni Mitchell have always done justice to his lyrics. The first book I ever read of L.C.'s was 'SpiceBox of the Earth"-from then on-I was sold. What do you think of 'Bird On A Wire'?--Have you visited the Leonard Cohen Website? It's pretty cool. From what I gather, his son is singing,now, too. Where have I been?

By Rook on Friday, November 13, 1998 - 01:09 pm:

Have you ever read any of Leonard's poetry? It's absolutely breath-taking! Especially his recent "Book of Mercy." Even his simplest poems are so gentle and moving. This one's my favorite:

(untitled)

What has taken place in your body and your mind
    that allows you to address yourself like that
    surely you know
    and if you do not know
    as obviously you do not know
    how can i destroy the wretch who does not love you

By Me.................... on Friday, November 13, 1998 - 02:11 pm:

I have been in love with the mind of Leonard Cohen for many, many years, now....that was a beautiful passage that you quoted. Thank you.......Tell us some more.......Better, yet, find Leonard,himself and let him tell us some more. Don't I wish..........*the stories of the street are mine ,the Spanish voices laugh....*

By Rook on Tuesday, November 17, 1998 - 08:36 am:

Leonard's a Buddhist and lives in a monastery (sp?) outside of Los Angeles, so I think he's pretty much out of reach.

When I find my copy of "The Energy of Slaves" (his best poems, in my opinion), I'll see if I can post some others.

By Agatha on Tuesday, November 17, 1998 - 10:57 am:

roberta flack does a really great cover of "hey, that's no way to say goodbye." makes me cry.

By Me................ on Tuesday, November 17, 1998 - 01:13 pm:

I bet that is really great !! I think I'll check it out. I do a pretty good cover of it, too. *I loved you in the morning, our kisses deep & warm........Your hair upon the pillow, like a sleepy, golden storm........Yes, many 've loved before us, I know that we are not new.......in city, and in forest, they smile like me and you, .......But , now, it's come to distances and both of us must try.......Your eyes are soft with sorrow........Hey, that's no way....to say....Goodbye.......* (sung in a slightly husky, whiskey, smokey voice)

Pretty good, huh? Ja like that?? Shall I sing some more? How about Bessie Smith & Billie Holiday's 'Gimme a Pigfoot and a Bottle of Beer'?

By Sheila on Tuesday, November 17, 1998 - 01:54 pm:

Leonard Forever. All Leonard, all the time. All you can eat.

He was engaged to Rebecca DeMornay before he went to the monastery, which is near Pomona, I think.

Now it's going to be a Leonard day. Again.

By Me............. on Tuesday, November 17, 1998 - 02:01 pm:

ALL RIGHT, SHEILA !!!! That's the best thing I've heard all the Leonard-day !!
    *Oh, the Sisters of Mercy, they are not departed or gone.* !!

By Mels wild about that thing on Tuesday, November 17, 1998 - 03:33 pm:

Damn, I gotta go out and get me some Leonard. You all make it sound better than sex.

Love Bessie and Billie, too.

Give the piano player a drink, 'cause he's bringing me down.

By Me.......... on Tuesday, November 17, 1998 - 03:39 pm:

*He got rhythm, yeah, when he stomps his feet-he moves me-right off to sleep; check all your razors and your guns-we gonna be arrested when the wagon comes!!!!*

Ah, Mel, you KNOW it is better than SOME sex SOMETIMES!!

FEEL GOOD-DOO-DAH-DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Rook on Wednesday, November 18, 1998 - 10:27 am:

You know, when you say Leonard is better than sex, that makes me smile knowingly, because Leonard had quite a reputation as a lady's man during his hey-day (He even wrote a rather strange and fascinating book of poetry called "Death of a Lady's Man."). He was really, um, talented in that area, I've heard.

Which makes us all love him even more!

By Mel on Wednesday, November 18, 1998 - 12:17 pm:

I've heard that Milton Berle has a huge dick, but I never found him funny.

By Agatha on Wednesday, November 18, 1998 - 01:01 pm:

i'd rather not think about that, if it's okay. i have that book, death of a lady's man. i also have a short story he wrote about a young boy discovering an ad in a magazine which claims to build up wimpy boys' muscles. it's pretty funny.
    i have the selected poems- 1956-1968. there's a funny picture of him on the cover. thrice. i guess "beautiful losers" is worth quite a bit of money.

By Me.................. on Wednesday, November 18, 1998 - 02:20 pm:

It's great to see that so many people are aware of Leonard Cohen. Usually if I say his name, people say,'WHO??' What a MAN !!!

By R.C. on Wednesday, November 18, 1998 - 09:03 pm:

Waitasecond -- 'Suzanne'? That Roberta Flack covered back in the '70's? Leonard Choen wrote that? WHOA! I love that song! It was the 1st Roberta Flack tune I ever heard.

Didn't he also pen the lyrics to 'Strange Fruit' -- even tho' Billie Holiday used to claim she wrote it herself?

By Mel on Wednesday, November 18, 1998 - 10:33 pm:

Billie Holiday sang that song in 1939. Leonard's old, but he ain't that old.

According to the Sept. '98 Vanity fair, "Strange Fruit" was written by a man named Abel Meeropol. He was a high school English teacher, activist, and "closet communist." He was most famous for adopting Julius and Ethel Rosenberg's (the spies) kids. He wrote a poem called "Bitter Fruit" inspired by (or shocked into) by a news photo of a black man hanging from a tree - victim of a lynching. He published it in The New York Teacher. Later he set it to music and it became something of a left-wing anthem. Eventually, it made its way to Billie Holiday.

By Me............. on Thursday, November 19, 1998 - 12:05 pm:

Ain't it cool, the way things work, sometimes...Go figure...............

By R.C. on Thursday, November 19, 1998 - 06:42 pm:

Thanks Mel! I knew Billie didn't write it/but I never found out who did. Still, The Lady definitely made it her own. But I am still a bit more emamoured w/Nina Simone's version.

By Pippoca on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 03:40 pm:

Fuck Off LEondard

By S on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 01:42 pm:

this has been bugging me...........I saw the movie Zoolander and it was playing this George Michael song during the scene where they are riding in the jeep and at the gas station.
    i cant think of the name of the song.
    i can picture the video of the song though
    it has George michael jumping around like a fag in a choose life shirt.......anyone know it?

By patrick on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 01:49 pm:

"...like a fag in a choose life shirt..."

excuse me?

By J on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 02:14 pm:

I think it has something to do with the peanuts in her poop.And to think she called Czarina stupid.

By Spider on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 02:51 pm:

Hey, I was Rook.

By patrick on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 03:05 pm:

By Spider on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 03:25 pm:

Aw, read it, Patrick. It's good.

<<In one of the best tracks on 1988's I'm Your Man, he placed himself 100 floors below Hank Williams in "The Tower of Song," and last year he wrote a poem about the number of fake poets crowding "the sacred precincts." "Needless to say," Cohen concluded in a trademark gesture, "I am one of the fakes.">>

How can one not love him?

By droopy on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 03:33 pm:

hey, i'm 1000 floors below hank williams as a song writer AND a fake poet. nobody LOVES me for it.

By S on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 03:38 pm:

Am I to understand that Patrick is how do they say......Homosexual? J too?
    Go to church and get some morals

By S on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 03:40 pm:

And to "set the record straight" I did not call Czarina stupid. I merely stressed that she misinterpreted my little joke fest. Must I be slandered to death for that?
    Lighten up people.

By Spider on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 03:40 pm:

That's only because you do not gently croon your humility in verse peppered with Catholic imagery.

By S on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 03:42 pm:

Wrong again my little veiled sinner.
    I am NOT catholic

By Spider on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 03:44 pm:

Kiddo, I wasn't responding to you.

By S on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 03:46 pm:

I am Southern Baptist and I deny God and my beliefs to noone. If not for the Lord my life would not be as pleasurable as it is at the present time. I will not be ridiculed for what I believe. Is that not the same thing that is being done to the people of the Islamic faith?

By patrick on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 03:47 pm:

oh great we have a bible thumper upon us.

let the feeding begin.

By patrick on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 03:47 pm:

rather "among us"

By S on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 03:48 pm:

As a christian I am not permitted to believe that homosexuality is a viable way to live one's life, yet I am looking to judge noone for that so get off of my back

By S on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 03:49 pm:

haha
    what incredible wits you have
    i am in awe
    Is it possible that you are dumber than I thought?

By J on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 03:58 pm:

God,are you for real?

By Dougie on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 04:08 pm:

She's gotta be related to Dani somehow. Dani probably got hot for some man meat one night about 20 years ago, and her Pa was the only one around. 9 months later, Dani gave birth to S, her daughter-sister.

By S on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 04:13 pm:

I am only 18 and have more wits than both of you

By Dougie on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 04:14 pm:

Ok, so my math's off by 15 months. Sue me. But I notice you not contesting the story otherwise...

By trace on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 04:19 pm:

UH OH.
    Take my advice, child.
    Never, ever, under any circumstances EVER
    comment on sexual orientation in here.

By Dani on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 04:27 pm:

I dont believe the word "fag" is appropriate around here. My dear friend Jim would be highly offended.

You keep getting funnier and funnier there Dougie Fresh. Almost as funny as your little John Lennon embarrassment last night.
    20 years ago would have made me 12 years old you blundering idiot. Man meat was certainly not in my thoughts at that age.
    I'd say nice try though but it was really yet another one of your lame attempts at trying to unsult me. Try getting out of the Fresh Prince's ass long enough and realize that your a complete fool. Or do you prefer DJ Jazzy Jeff?
    Making an ass out of yourself day after day, night after night in very unbecoming...almost as much as that little recipe you posted like a little bitch. I can just see you in your pretty little apron posting recipes. Yuck.

As someone told me the other day, shine on, Dougie.

By J on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 04:32 pm:

"I am only 18 and have more wits than both of you" She's half right.

By J on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 04:37 pm:

Like she's a half-wit

By trace on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 04:43 pm:

Let me say something here.

Someone's sexual orientation is their business.
    The only time you have any reason to be concerned with it is if you are asking them out on a date.
    Otherwise it is between themselves and their god, if they beleive in one.

It has no bearing on your life or how you conduct yourself.

I was raised Pentacostal, which makes Southern Baptist look like, well, lutherns.
    It was pounded in my head the whole time I was groing up that homosexuality "is a sin, unforgivable by God, an abomination".

And, because this is how I was raised, I beleived it.

Then I moved out of my parents house.

I learned to question a lot of what I was taught. I am still questioning. One thing that I have answered, however, is the sexual orientation issue.
    I have discovered that hey, they don't la-botta me, I won't la-botta them. In fact, I have made friends with a few, one of them was my best friend (beside's Eri) and another one introduced me to Eri.

If you truely beleive God's Word, then you know that it says let God judge, you should love all.

Except Bin Laden, and the Taliban, and all those whom Bush calls Evil Doers.....

:-p

By Eri on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 05:28 pm:

I am also a southern baptist. Funny thing, some of my friends are homosexuals and bi-sexuals.

Judge not lest ye be judged. It is that simple.

I will respect you for being you and I expect the same in return.

Even I got offended when I hear comments like that, and everyone knows that I am straight.

By Dougie on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 05:36 pm:

*sigh*

Dani, you can unsult John Lennon all you want, you can misquote Pink Floyd lyrics, but please, please don't denigrate my heroes, the Fresh Prince and Jazzy Jeff. (By the way, Jazzy Jeff's ass is MUCH tastier than the Fresh Prince's -- less musky, clean as a whistle, and with none of those nasty crunchy bits that get stuck in your teeth.) Now excuse me while I go don my frilly red apron. I have recipes to disburse.

By Eri on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 05:45 pm:

I like recipes. I have been looking for a good one for albondigus soup.

I must have missed the recipes from before.

By Dani on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 05:50 pm:

I didnt insult John Lennon, YOU did by using his name.
    I would have figured you for the crunchy bit kinda animal.

There is no excuse for you, or your red apron.

By Dougie on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 06:03 pm:

Eri, what, may I ask, is albondigus soup?

Dani, no. It's true, I'm the creamy bit kinda animal. I'm working on changing, but old habits die hard.

And yes, you're right. There is no excuse for me, nor my red apron. But medical scientists are working on an excuse for me even as we speak. When they discover the excuse, you'll be the first one I'll share it with.

By semillama on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 06:05 pm:

S, probably the bravest and most intelligent people who have posted here are homosexual. One of the nicest and most amzing and strongest people I have ever come across here is homosexual, and has survived more evil crap than you could imagine, courtesy of strict christian people who believe that homosexuality is wrong.

So, if you want to go that route, fine, but you may want to go post on some homophobe BBS instead, because that type of ignorance doesn't fly around here.

You Pink.

Sincerely, Your Reverend.

By Douglas on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 06:23 pm:

OK kids, my work here's done for the evening. Have a rockin' good weekend, and I'll catch y'all real soon.

By Eri on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 06:41 pm:

I may be spelling it wrong, but albondigus soup is some kind of mexican meatball soup. We used to get it at restraunts all of the time when we were in California. The mexican restraunt we go to here knows of it but it isn't on the menu. Sucks cuz that was some spicy good soup.

By droopy on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 07:42 pm:

there are some albondigas soup recipes here

i was going out, but now it's going to rain like hell. i'll just have some tequila and make a bowl of black beans and rice.

By droop on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 07:44 pm:

i heard tell once that

trace likes spicy food.

By Eri on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 08:35 pm:

Yes he does like spicy food. So do I. Thanks for the link.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact