Windmills of My Mind...

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: Windmills of My Mind...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
R.C. on Monday, December 28, 1998 - 10:55 pm:

... which I believe is from 'The Thomas Crown Affair' soundtrack. But I can't remember the name of the singer (Dusty Springfield comes to mind/but maybe not.) And I suspect I am forgetting a verse. If anyone knows of a site where one can search song lyrics/do drop me a line.

In my head/I keep hearing Jewel singing it. I imagine it as part of the soundtrack for yet another movie I will probably never direct. Wonder what Jewel costs these days... And who wrote 'Windmills' anyway?

Doesn't ASCAP have a website?

By R.C. on Monday, December 28, 1998 - 11:39 pm:

Sometimes memory serves me correctly. Sometimes it slays me. And sometimes it amazes me what stuff one can find in the Wide World of Web! And how the lyrics from a song you heard more than 20 years ago linger inside yr heart & still evoke the same rush of emotions after so long.

There are only 3 songs I've ever heard that I wd make a deal with the Devil to have I'd penned the lyrics & music to. This is one of them.

(from "The Thomas Crown Affair")
    Music by Michel Legrand
    Lyrics by Alan Bergman and Marilyn Bergman
    Performed by Dusty Springfield

Round.
    Like a circle in a spiral
    Like a wheel within a wheel
    Never ending or beginning
    On an ever-spinning reel
    Like a snowball down a mountain,
    Or a carnival balloon,
    Like a carousel that's turning
    Running rings around the moon
    Like a clock whose hands are sweeping
    Past the minutes on its face
    And the world is like an apple
    Spinning silently in space
    Like the circles that you find
    In the windmills of your mind.

Like a tunnel that you follow
    To a tunnel of its own
    Down a hollow to a cavern
    Where the sun has never shone
    Like a door that keeps revolving
    In a half-forgotten dream
    Like the ripples from a pebble
    Someone tosses in a stream
    Like a clock whose hands are sweeping
    Past the minutes on its face
    And the world is like an apple
    Spinning silently in space
    In the windmills of your mind.

Keys that jingle in your pocket
    Words that jangle in your head
    Why did summer go so quickly?
    Was it something that I said?
    Lovers walk along a shore
    And leave their footprints in the sand
    Was the sound of distant drumming
    Just the fingers of your hand?

Pictures hanging in a hallway
    or the fragment of a song,
    half-remembered names and faces
    but to whom do they belong?
    When you knew that it was over
    Were you suddenly aware
    That the autumn leaves were turning
    To the color of her hair?

Like a circle in a spiral
    Like a wheel within a wheel
    Never ending or beginning
    On an ever-spinning reel
    As the images unwind
    In the windmills of your mind...

Appropriated from
    http://www.lyrics.ch/

... give me once chance to slow dance on New Year's Eve to that song w/a marvelous man & I will die a happy woman.

By Shimoda on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 05:54 pm:

Funny. That song has always haunted me in words and tune. It is impossible not to "hear" it coursing through my brain when flying and skydiving. It is particularly strong when flying through clouds where I am "in and out" or at night.

By Dougie on Thursday, April 19, 2001 - 06:07 pm:

Great, now I've got that tune running through my head. I don't know the words, so I always put "scooby dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby doo, scooby dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby doo" to it.

By Azn Muzic Lover Girl on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 12:57 am:

Heh. i discovered this song a week ago since i have it 4 piano. they only give me verse 1 n 2 to repeat tho. it's kind of a spooooooky song. odd, and haunting in a way, but nonetheless, nice. o yeah, i m 9 3/4 years old!!!

By JSM on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 04:44 pm:

On the film soundtrack, the song is sung by Noel Harrison, NOT Dusty Springfield!

By Nessysessity on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 04:41 pm:

cool
    i love this song too,
    wouldn't mind having the music for it.
    Well now i have it in my head,
    so i'll begin to learn the words.

By F. Loizaga on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 10:00 am:

That song hauted me since the first moment I saw The Thomas Crown affair, any way I just wanted to say that its performed by Sting, and is the perfect sound track of some scenes of my life.

By Tadzior on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 09:32 pm:

Yes, you're ALL right about that one. Windmills is one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs ever written. I'm so happy to have rediscovered it in a new (released September 6, 2004) version by the UNBEATABLE Alison Moyet. The album, Voices, is a gem and on it Ms Moyet has given us the ABSOLUTELY BEST 'Windmills' yet. "ROUND, like a circle in a spiral..."

By Raw Narcissism on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 09:03 pm:

"sitting naked on the train"?

By Lost in the 60s and 70s on Saturday, May 6, 2006 - 12:43 am:

In the original (and to me ONLY) "Thomas Crown," Windmills was sung by Noel Harrison (yes, Rex's son). I can't believe I don't remember Sting's version which I'm sure I must have heard. But for me it's often the case that the first version is the one permanently etched in my mind and the one against I measure all the later versions.

By V on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 04:50 pm:

...Lost,the first version of a song is the best,allways,dont let enyone tell you otherwise...you SHURE Sting did a version of that????

By V on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 05:01 pm:

...lost,v knows huge amounts of music,going back to 1920,tell me what you want.v try to give.

By V on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 04:59 pm:

...or not,depends how I feel.

By Deefosster on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 12:36 pm:

The music is by Michel Legrand and it was originally by Noel Harrison. Sting's version was in the remake and it did not have the whimsicality nor the swirly, slightly psychedelic flavour of the original.Dusty, Alison M.,and I believe Elvis Costello have also covered it, but none have equalled Noel. Perhaps that's why he recorded nothing else!

By Dougie on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 06:20 pm:

Scooby dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby doo, Scooby dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby doo,
    Scooby dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby doo, Scooby dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby doo,
    Scooby dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby doo, Scooby dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby dooby doo.

By V on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 06:44 pm:

...most of the song was rubbish,all most as bad as Mc.Arthurs park,melting in the dark,all the sweet green iceing flowing down,you need to be on a bad trip to write junk like that...and I hate "a whiter shade of pale",with its "16 vestil virgins,that are leaving for the coast".Why? too much smog or something?...its just money for nothing.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact