Man of La Mancha

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: Man of La Mancha
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Gee on Sunday, April 18, 1999 - 05:16 am:

Don't bother reading this, it's just me singtyping from my "Quantum Leap" soundtrack.

Hear me now, oh thou bleak and unbareable world: Thou art based and debotched as can be. And a knight with his banners all bravely unfurled now hurls down his gauntlet to thee.

I am I Don Quixote, the lord of La Mancha, my destiny calls and I go! And the wild winds of fortune will carry me onward, oh wither so ever they blow.

Hear my heathans and wizards and serpants of sin: all your dastardly doings are past! For a holy endevour is now to begin, and virtue shall triumph at last!

I am I Don Quixote, the lord of La Mancha, my destiny calls and I go! And the wild winds of fortune will carry me onward, oh wither so ever they blow. Wither so ever they blow. Onward to glory! Onward to glory! Onward to glory I go!

~
    I have dreamed thee too long. Never seen thee or touched thee, but known thee with all of my heart. Half a prayer, half a song, thou hast always been with me, though we have been always apart.

Dulcinea.

Dulcinea.

I see Heaven when I see thee, Dulcinea. And thy name is like a prayer an angel whispers: Dulcinea.

Dulcinea.

Dulcinea.

I have sought thee, sung thee, dreamed thee, Dulcinea. Now I've found thee and the world shall know thy glory, Dulcinea.

Dulcinea.

Dulcinea.

~

To dream the impossible dream. To fight the unbeatable foe. To bare, with unbareable sorrow. To run where the brave dare not go.

To right the unrightable wrong. To love pure and chaste from afar. To try when your arms art to weary. To reach the unreachable star.

This is my quest. To follow that star. No matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause.

And I know if I'll only be true to this glorious quest, that my heart will lie peaceful and calm when I'm laid to my rest. And the world will be better for this: that one man, scorned and covered with scars sill strove with his last ounce of courage to reach the unreachable star.

I just love that. I don't know why. I've never seen the play Man of La Mancha (although I'd Love to!), I just really really enjoy the lyrics of this medley! I remember one time when I was a wee tot, I wrote a story around that first bit called Melvin of La Mancha. It was so ridiculous, but it's one of my favorite things because it was so much fun to do! Too bad the ending was so cheesy. Ah well...Life goes on.

By Spider on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 02:55 pm:

My favorite song from that soundtrack is Little Bird, Little Bird. My high school's brother school put on that play when I was a freshman, and I had such a crush on the boy who played the ruffian that sang that song. Bennett Dunn. I wonder where he is now.

Gee, if you're still around, I hope you have gotten to see this play. It's good, for a musical. The original novel is great.

By Ophelia on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 03:29 pm:

oh no i just read gee's lyrics and sang along in my head... that'll be stuck in there for days.

i love it.

By Spider on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 03:35 pm:

Here we go...imagine these sung with a roguish swagger:

Little bird, little bird,
    in the cinnamon tree.
    do you sing for me?
    Do you bring me word
    of one I know?
    I love her so.
    I have to know.
    Little bird, little bird.

Beneath this tree,
    This cinnamon tree,
    We learned to love.
    We learned to cry.
    For here we met,
    and here we kissed,
    and here one cold and moonless night we said goodbye.

oh, have pity on me.
    Bring her back to me now,
    'neath the cinnamon tree.
    I have waited too long
    without a song.
    please fly, please go.
    and tell her so.

By Grandma R on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 03:38 pm:

Thank you for putting these lyrics here. I've sung this song to my little grandson since he was born, and I never really knew all the words (I just made up what I didn't know -- like I couldn't remember whether it was cinnamon or sycamore--ha). Now 6 years old, he would probably stop me when he didn't recognize the real lyrics from my "made-up" ditty, but still, I feel I owe it to him to sort of "phase" in the real lyrics. :)

By Bennett Dunn on Sunday, June 6, 2004 - 09:03 pm:

Dear Spider,
    I know it's been a couple years since you posted here, but what the heck, maybe you'll check back for some unknown reason... It's me, Bennett. I don't know who you are, but I stumbled onto this page while messing around on the internet. I was pretty surprized after reading your note, and touched. Salesianum HS, 1991. (Just in case you do get this, that should confirm it's me)
    Well I hope you're well and being successful in whatever you're doing. Thank you.

By moonit on Sunday, June 6, 2004 - 11:26 pm:

hahahahaha. Spider's busted.

By Spider on Monday, June 7, 2004 - 12:40 am:

Oh my.

Yeah, that's got to be you, all right. I went to Padua.

Thanks for the good wishes -- I wish you the same. You were really cute and had a good voice, and I'm sure those two things haven't changed.

Well, unless you've picked up a crank habit or something. ::shudder::

By agatha on Monday, June 7, 2004 - 02:25 am:

(SPIDER, ASK HIM OUT ON A DATE!!!)

By Lapis on Monday, June 7, 2004 - 04:05 am:

tee hee hee

By Bennett Dunn on Thursday, December 2, 2004 - 05:33 am:

Well, several months have gone by and here I am again.
    Spider, I'm glad you posted such vital information about yourself. (I'm kidding.) So Padua, huh? I wonder who you are...?
    Gimme a hint at least, please.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact