Hand in Hand, Dire Straits

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: Hand in Hand, Dire Straits
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Margret on Tuesday, April 27, 1999 - 12:26 pm:

I love the whole "Making Movies" experience. In the liner notes "curb" is spelled "kerb." I bought this album when I was about 14, and I go through the same cyclic thing with it that I do with Sonic Youth's "Daydream Nation," Pink Floyd's "Animals," Dinosaur jr.'s "Where You Been?," Radiohead's "OK Computer," and now REM's "Up," which is to say that once in a while for no apparent reason I start going to sleep every night with one of these albums, which works its way fully into all day all night listening. I wish I lived alone so I controlled my sonic environment.

By Agatha on Tuesday, April 27, 1999 - 01:59 pm:

i love that album so much. my favorites are skateaway and romeo and juliet, i think i've mentioned that before. you must be having some sort of crisis, margret, because you are waxing some serious nostalgia.

By Margret on Tuesday, April 27, 1999 - 02:13 pm:

Crisis? It's possible. But if so, it is subterranean to my consciousness. My awareness of self, surroundings, context, all that. Have I ever mentioned how spiritually bankrupt I find capitalism to be? And how I fear that it is killing all that might be graceful and fine in me (given the proper nurturance) with daily slings and arrows of not outrageous but thoroughly mundane fortune?

By Agatha on Tuesday, April 27, 1999 - 05:03 pm:

sounds like a crisis to me. this winter, i had a very nonspecific crisis about my life, what i was doing, my energy level, my relationship, my parenting skills, etc.

it has subsided somewhat since the weather has picked up. those nonspecific malaise inducing crises are the worst, though.

By Jon on Tuesday, April 27, 1999 - 07:32 pm:

Just to pop in- Mags- I do the same thing with albums (i.e. nighttime sleepy tunage working into all the time tunage.). O.K. Computer and Daydream Nation are recurring ones. Right now it's Brian Eno's soundtrack to the film "Apollo"... if you like Animals you'd like Eno's thing... and it might help with the malaise. I'm just naive enough to believe that the proper music can cure anything.

By Margret on Tuesday, April 27, 1999 - 07:36 pm:

I waver between Before and After Science, Music for Airports, and Another Green World on occasion. But Eno makes me contemplative, and I'm maintaining a strict programme of introspection-avoidance right now. Plus, it doesn't rock like Daydream Nation: takes a teenage riot to get me out of bed! Thurston, Watt here. Thurston, didja find yer shit?

By Jon on Wednesday, April 28, 1999 - 03:07 pm:

You are so cool it makes my head hurt :) My rock needs are currently being attended to by Soul Coughing... but later today I think I'll lauch a Pixies retrospective.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact