manomanop

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: manomanop
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Harrier on Monday, May 3, 1999 - 03:33 pm:

Remember that song from sesame street? Manamanop doo doo doodoo doot, manamanop doo doo doo doot, manamanop doot doo dododo doodoodoo doo dododododododooododododooot

Thats about the best I can do. We were walking down the street and some guy yelled out of a car something that sounded like manamanop.. god only knows what he really said, and there were four of us.. all four went doo doo doodo doot right then.. classic moments in "you had to be there" history.

By Swine on Tuesday, May 4, 1999 - 10:11 am:

that song wasn't from sesame street.

when you're singing "manamanop" you gotta be thinking of the muppet show theme song. (as in "manamanop, doot dooo do-do doo")

sesame street s a totally different groove all together.

that's the "sunny day" song.

By Harrier on Tuesday, May 4, 1999 - 01:13 pm:

oh... you're right! Hahaha.. oh... now I feel old, so old I'm forgetting my childhood shows... I'm so embarrassed...

By Nate on Tuesday, May 4, 1999 - 05:50 pm:

it wasn't the muppet show theme song, it was just a number they did.

the Warlock Pincers also do a version.

By Swine on Tuesday, May 4, 1999 - 06:37 pm:

"Mahna Mahna" (sung by Mahna Mahna and the Snowths)

Mahna mahna
    (ba dee bedebe)
    mahna mahna
    (ba debe dee)
    mahna mahna
    (ba dee bedebe badebe badebe dee dee de-de de-de-de)

(repeats)

mah mama na mahna mah namwomp mwomp
    ma mo mo mana mo
    mahna mahna
    (ba dee bedebe)
    mahna mahna
    (ba debe dee)
    Mahna Mahna!
    (ba dee bedebe bedebe badebe debe de-de de-de-de)

(long pause)

...mahna mahna?

(Sheet music for this is available in Australia from Alberts Publishing,
    in Alberts Mammoth Folio 7 "Songs from the continent."
    The song was written by Piero Umiliani and is from the 1969 Avco Embassy
    Film, "Sweden Heaven and Hell."

Thanks to Ian Williams for this information.)

By Ian Williams on Tuesday, May 4, 1999 - 06:42 pm:

Don't thank me.

By Chuck B on Wednesday, May 5, 1999 - 12:54 am:

I wonder what the genisis of that song was...remember the fat guy that would get junk thrown at him while he was dancing on every episode of the Gong Show..nerrr nert nert nert nert nerrr nert nert nert nert...while whats his face played with his stupid hat? Its got to be part of the same tree. If it roots out with Chuck Manjonie(didnt he wear a stupid hat?) I will definatly have to make a phone call.

By Lucky Tard on Wednesday, May 5, 1999 - 12:58 am:

Never mind...I have a problem finnishing shit and interrupting people in the middle of a sentance with a question they are just about to give the answer to if I just had the Patience...a little patience yeaaah yeah.

By Albatross on Wednesday, May 5, 1999 - 04:10 pm:

Is this the song they did on Space Ghost Coast To Coast?

BTW - I'm Albatross. I'm new here.

By Harrier on Wednesday, May 5, 1999 - 04:35 pm:

As a matter of fact it is, little albatross, welcome here.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, May 6, 1999 - 12:05 am:

This is way off topic, but:

When I was a kid, I read a book about a man named Albert Ross who was stranded on this sandbar between the shore and the sea, and this girl rescued him and thought he was a magical creature, an albatross transformed into a man. The girl's name was Felicity Tate.

I can't remember the author or the title -- Joan Aiken? I think the author's last name began with an A. I think she also wrote a book about statues coming to life ("the Midnight Garden" or something) and "The Trials of Anna Cotman," about a girl who joins a secret society whose initiation ceremonies go horribly awry. That was a neat book. I still remember some of the society's passwords (Beggar, where is your begging bowl? In my heart and in my hand) because I think of them as I get communion during Mass. I had an argument with a friend who still believed you had to take communion on your tongue, and I used those lines as my reason I take it in my hands.

Well! Thank you, Albatross.

I apologize for interrupting.

By MoonIt on Wednesday, August 18, 1999 - 03:47 am:

*hehe* i just downloaded the manahmanah song.

It makes me laugh cause at the end those two old guys go:
    'that was wonderful'
    'bravo'
    'I loved that'
    'It was great'
    'Well it was pretty good'
    'Well it wasnt bad'
    'There were parts of it that werent very good tho'
    'It could of been a lot better'
    'I didnt really like it'
    'It was pretty terrible'
    'It was bad'
    'It was awful'

then they start yelling and booing..

it makes me smile everytime

By Mr.Twisted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 04:55 pm:

I found this really cool version of mahnamahna one time with computer animated things that didn't look like the original creatures but I accidentally closed the window before I could get the site name!Anyway,I'm new here too and was wondering if anyone could perhaps find it for me?please?

By semillama on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 05:24 pm:

By James T. Smith on Friday, January 14, 2005 - 03:23 am:

I do believe that the manamanop song was sung by the Banana Splits. Also where can I download that song?

By Gary on Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 05:35 am:

Is that you,Taft Smith?

By Dexter on Monday, February 7, 2005 - 01:07 am:

There is some fascinating information on this. The original composer of the "Mah na Mah na" song is a chap by the name of Piero Umiliani. Here is a nice like you will find more info on him and his legacy: http://www.geocities.com/pieroumiliani/

At any rate, a poster named "Swine" says that this wasn't from Sesame Street. Even though it's true that it isn't the Sesame Street theme song, Swine was wrong in saying that it wasn't on Sesame Street. Another poster says it was the Muppet Show theme, again incorrect. It did appear on The Muppoet Show, but it was done on Sesame Street first as one of their skits. I recall it from childhood, very early childhood. As children are very impressionable at an early age, this skit with a black-bearded muppet with a striped shirt, backed by two blonde muppet girls, they sang what I always thought was the word "Phenonmenon" has stuck with me to the present day. My sister remembers this, too. I didn't even know that it appeared on the Muppet Show until someone at worked asked me if I "had the manamana song from the Muppets". I said "Oh you mean the "Phenonmenon" song from Sesame Street! That was awesome! He's much younger than I so he did not remember the one from SS.

What's interesting to note here is that my 3yr old daughter was watching Sesame Street recently and the episode was an anniversary edition of some sort. At the very end of the tribute they had a montage/collage of clips from the earliest years up to the present and one of the earlier clips was the "Phenonmenon" clip that I remembered from my childhood! For the rest of that day I was humming that tune!! What amazes me most is that as I grow older I have trouble with recalling things like what I ate for breakfast the day before but I can still remember something from when I was 4 as if it happened just a few minutes ago!

By BigWhoseeWhatzit on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 06:58 pm:

It was originally done on the Red Skelton Show in the 1970s. It was the Muppets. Although originally not done my any "named" Muppet characters. If I remember correctly The Muppets (Jim Hensen) got their/his first first national exposure in Red Skeltons show. The Muppets predate Sesame Street.

By Anthony on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 05:57 pm:

actually, the song plays at the end of sesame street, it sounds different from the one on the dr.pepper comercial

By 123 Main St on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 10:43 pm:

Anthony, speaking of "Seasame Street", is ernie and bert a brother or just a gay lover?

By 912 Green Street on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 03:23 pm:

friends brother

By Ross on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 02:10 pm:

anyone having the link to the mp3 of the Muppets "manahmanah song"?

hoepfully
    ross

By Me on Friday, July 1, 2005 - 06:53 pm:

GOD DAMN IT WE WANT THE WHOLE VIDEO!!!!!!!!

By Chris on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 10:47 am:

It brings back good memories. I taught my kids and they love it. When they start with "mana mana" one of us has to finish it and it can go on for at least 30 minutes. Thanks. Chris

By semillama on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 01:07 pm:

how the hell do people find this thread anyway?

By droopy on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 01:38 pm:

like you've never just hung out at the message board listings and clicked any random title that looked vaguely interesting.

By semillama on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 03:58 pm:

no, I get the impression that these folks are showing up after clicking something on google, or the like.

By wisper on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 09:55 pm:

you're welcome, Chris!
    anytime!

By Eagle on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 08:56 am:

i have both .avi video and .mp3 of great quality of the original muppet show manah manah act.just let me know...

By patrick on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 12:17 pm:

ive turned my kid on to vintage muppet show. found an old video in a thrift store. with episodes of mark hamil, paul simon and that late 70s fitness chick....who's name i can't recall right now. recently at the video store, the kid spied the muppet section. we watched the trilogy with dudley moore, peter sellars and john cleese. the muppets are actually a brilliant show and im positive when my, at day care starts dropping the names fozzy and rowlf, shes the only one in.

By droopy on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 01:40 pm:

you're right, the old muppet show was brilliant. i truly believe that if you can keep your child to the muppet show, the tex avery/chuck jones cartoons, and bullwinkle, he or she will be fine.

look what it's done for me.

By patrick on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 02:17 pm:

well, the thing is this,

i dont have TV, at least, not local or national programming. its just not in my budget and im better off without it. so, for the most part, the only thing we watch are movies if anything.

to top it off, i dont have a DVD player. so, in my crappy ghetto local video store, not only is the selection heavily favored towards the demographics (apparently, based on my video store, latinos watch nothing but chuck norris and jackie chan) but the VHS section is terribly retarded.

so, in short we are extremely limited to crappy VHS sections and what we find in thrift stores, which can or cannot be interesting.

By droopy on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 02:33 pm:

i notice that the movie choice on spanish-language tv is starting to get more interesting. i've seen "taxi driver" dubbed in spanish twice (estas hablando con mi?). i've also seen "airplane" a couple of times, but i haven't figured out how they coped with all the wordplay - like "don't call me surely" and stuff like that.

By Rowlfe on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 02:38 pm:

Muppet Show season one hitting stores Aug 9, Fraggle Rock follows a month later. I'm creaming myself in anticipation

By patrick on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 12:51 pm:

i got a brilliant line from a muppet show episode we watched this weekend, with Elton John (have you heard a two year old say the name Elton John? I have.)

the line was:
    "You dress like a stolen car." in reference to Elton.

Fucking brilliant.

Speaking of great lines, another one i extracted from the Sopranos...

Tony is getting verbally chewed by a crackwhore and he reponds

"whoa whoa the language lady. You blow your daddy with that mouth?"

By Matthew on Sunday, August 7, 2005 - 10:54 pm:

OMG!! I've been looking so hard through bittorrent, and other file sharing sites for the video of "Manah Manah and the Snowths" sketch... i came across this from google. if anyone has it and wouldn't mind sharing, please e-mail me!

By Nasus on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 02:37 am:

My original experience with the ManaMana song was when I was a kid watching the Red Skelton Show. There were a number of Stick-People under a black-light running around the stage playing on a see-saw, playing catch with a ball, etc. They would move sideways like a kid's drawing of stick-people, even disappearing when they turned their backs to the audience. It was the only time I ever saw any performance to the ManaMana song. I loved it so much that in high school I recreated the whole stick-people thing with black-lights and song for a talent show entry and the crowd loved it too!! The version of ManaMana I used was by the original Swedish singers and not the Muppets. Sadly, I have only just discovered that the Muppets had used this song for their very famous skit which, I think now, everyone and her brother has known about their whole lives except for me!! ManaMana.....

By Nananana-booboo on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 01:02 pm:

Wow, you people have nothing better to do with your
    lives, do you?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact