I Want You -- Elvis Costello

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: I Want You -- Elvis Costello
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Margret on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 12:40 am:

Is this the best fucking heart ripping out of your chest so bad it almost feels good because you know you're still alive and that's the only way song ever written, or fucking what?
    OK, I know I am the perfect Declan demographic. But my GOD can that fucker write a tightassed lyric! I am rewinding just to listen to it again even though I am doing the quality listen through for a tape I made for someone else and I should just listen and then make my emotional break with the tape. I seriously considered getting my levels perfect and just programming the CD to repeat for the full 90 fucking minutes but I thought that would make me look like I have an obsession with Elvis Costello or something and since it's a tape of some of my favorite songs for a friend (heh) I thought I might want to show some range. But you know what? Right now the range of my taste is pretty limited: gimme blood and chocolate or give me death, muhfuh.
    Damn.
    Can I get a witness?
    And a new pair of pantines, please? Maybe the lyrics for this will be my text-over for the Nate as Satan picture. Hmmmmm.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 08:06 am:

How does "I Want You" go? My fav. EC song has always been "Kinder Murder", for some reason.

What else didja put on the tape? (I owe a friend at least 3 mix tapes, and I made one last night, and I'm wondering what I'm going to fill the other ones with.)

By Margret on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 09:29 am:

Well, SpiderMonkey, I'm glad you asked:
    Side A
    I want you (Elvis Costello)
    Sour Sour Times (Portishead)
    E-Bow the Letter (REM with Patti Smith)
    Glory (Liz Phair)
    Heavy 33 (The Verlaines)
    Possession (Sarah McLachlan)
    Lips Like Sugar (Echo & the Bunnymen)
    Heartbeat (King Crimson v.2)
    Friday I'm In Love (The Cure)
    Gloria (U2)
    Side B
    Just Like U Said It Would B (Sinead O'Connor)
    One Step Up (Bruce Springsteen)
    Can't Fight It (Bob Mould)
    Head Over Heels (Tears for Fears)
    Hand in Hand (Dire Straits)
    Star Me Kitten (REM)
    Star Me Kitten (REM w/William S. Burroughs)
    Miracle Man (Elvis Costello)
    New Test Leper (REM)
    Love, Reign O'er Me (The Who)

For the record, the first tape I sent him was a crappy 60 min TDK SA-60 my mom stuffs my X-Mas stocking with
    Side A
    At My Most Beautiful (REM)
    I'm Not Giving Up (Small Factory)
    Everybody's Been Burned (Sebadoh)
    I Want You (Varnaline)
    Darkness (The Police)
    Answering Machine (The Replacements)
    Sometimes (fIREHOSE)
    Emotional Rescue (Rolling Stones)
    Side B
    At My Most Beautiful (REM) -- yes, again
    For The Singer of REM (fIREHOSE)
    Science Fiction Double Feature (Rocky Horror Movie Soundtrack)
    Dr. Wu (The Minutemen)
    Evil Woman (ELO)
    Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic (The Police)
    Divine Hammer (The Breeders)
    I Will Dare (The Replacements)

Tragically, I can't find the playlist for the second tape, which he really enjoyed.

If you don't know Varnaline, run DO NOT WALK to buy "Man of Sin."

By J on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 10:30 am:

I want you:Oh my baby,baby I love you more than I can tell,I don,t think I can live without you And I know that I never will.Oh my baby baby I want you so it scares me to death I can,t say anymore than I love you Everything else is a waste of breath I want you You,ve had your fun you don,t get well no more I want you Your fingernails go,dragging down the wall Be careful darling you might fall I want you I woke up and one of us was crying I want you You said "Young man I do believe you,re dying"I want you if you need a second opinion as you seem to do these days You can look in my eyes and you can count the ways I want you did you mean to tell me but seem to forget I want you Since when were you so generous and inarticulate I want you It,s the stupid details that my heart is breaking for It,s the way your shoulders shake and what they,re shaking for it,s knowing that he knows you now after only guessing I want you It,s the thought of him undressing you or you undressing I want you He tossed some tatty compliment your way I want you And you were fool enough to love it when he said"I want you"I want you I want you the truth can,t hurt you it,s just like the dark It scares you witless But in time you see things clear and stark I want you Go on and hurt me and then we,ll let it drop I want you I,m afraid I won,t know where to stop I want you I,m not ashamed to say I cried for you I want you I want to know the things you did that we do too I want you I want to hear he pleases you more than I do I want you I might as well be useless for all it means to you I want you Did you call his name out as he held you down I want you Oh no my darling not with that clown I want you You,ve had your fun you don,t get well no more I want you No-one who wants you could want you more I want you Every night when I go off to bed and when I wake up I want you I want you I,m going to say it again till I instill it I know I,m going to feel this way until you kill it I want you I want you.

By J on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 12:35 pm:

Forgot to add that song tears the ass out of me,ad I play it way too much.

By Spider on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 12:41 pm:

Thanks, J. That sounds like one good song. What's the melody like?

Margret -- I applaud your musical selections. Everybody's Been Burned is one of my favorite songs (and I got it off a mix tape someone made me, so I don't know too many other Sebadoh songs, except I really like Careful and Plate O' Hatred).
    I just may have to get that Varnaline album, because I've seen/heard/read about them around 5 times this week, and I believe in fate (cuz fate believes in me).

By Margret on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 01:28 pm:

I saw Varnaline play live in Albuquerque, maybe Summer of '96. And they did an absolutely SMOKING rendition of Jesus & Tequila, and I'm such a snob about people trying to cover Minutemen songs. I loved them so much that I didn't buy their CD then, I waited until the next day because it looks better for the artist with the label if in the wake of their show people buy their CD from a local music store. I have subsequently bought 5 other copies of it, as gifts for people (one of whom was my housemate when I bought the original CD and who saw the show with me...he was afraid that the CD would become lost or damaged and he almost wouldn't let me touch it until I bought him his own copy).
    The music to the Elvis Song is just a single acoustic guitar, I think...I can't even recall it, minor chords, his voice breaks...it's beyond painfully beautiful.
    It's off Blood & Chocolate. I have been searching and searching for the MP3 so I could give you an FTP site link for it, but to no avail.
    Sorry, matriculated princess.

By Waffleboy on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 02:15 pm:

ummm...topic...???

waffleboys SUPPA mix tape

Velvet U-Sister Ray
    Rolling Stones-Get off of My Cloud
    Galaxy 500-Tugboat
    John Spencer Blues Explosion-Bell Bottoms
    Silver Apples-Oscillations
    Can-Spoon
    Cure-The Funeral Party
    The RAmones-I wann be Your Boyfriend
    The Pixies-Crustaceans
    Television-Prove It
    The MakeUp-Do you like Gospel Music?
    The MakeUp-How pretty can you get?
    Flaming Lips-The Waterbugs
    Luna-Lost In Space
    Faust-Krautrock
    Stereolab-French Disco
    Velvet Underground-Stephanie Says
    Velvet Underground-Rock & Roll
    Velvet Underground- What Goes On
    Stereolab-Jenny Ondioline
    Unrest-Isabel

my 2 cents

By J on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 04:09 pm:

Ever hear of Mike Flowers?

By Waffleboy on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 04:12 pm:

no, not me, who is he

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 04:21 pm:

Awesome! The Make-Up! Ya gotta dig 'em! And JSBX, too -- Waffleboy, ya gots taste.

Damnit, Margret, I stopped at the rec. store. after work JUST to get that EC song, and couldn't find it on any album, and ended up leaving with Led Zep's Houses of Holy (because I NEEDED to hear D'Yer Mak'er) and the Stooges' Funhouse, because I had to buy something once I was there. My priorities are questionable, since I'd rather buy 3 new albums and eat peanut butter for 2 weeks.

Since y'all are sharing, I thought I'd reciprocate:

Last night I made the following mix. Its theme is the incestuous links between bands. All of the following have collaborated with each other or share members. It's also the first tape in a series of 2, because I have another branch of a family tree I can do. Anyway:

Side 1 (Kiwis and Plums)--
    *Cop Shoot Cop -- Everybody Loves You (When You're Dead)
    *The Jesus Lizard -- Mouthbreather (which is about Slint's drummer, and Slint is covered on the next tape -- ah, connections)
    *Soul Coughing -- St. Louise Is Listening
    *Mule -- Nowhere's Back
    *Denison / Kimball Trio -- Solitaire
    *The Red Expendables -- Room
    *Cop Shoot Cop -- Last Legs
    *Tom Waits -- 9th and Hennepin
    *Firewater -- Bourbon and Division
    *Botanica -- The 14th Song
    *Elysian Fields -- Lady in the Lake
    *Reelfoot -- Jane Dwim
    *Phylr -- Thistle
    (*a little bit of Mac McNeilly drumming by himself -- cut off)

Side 2 (Apricots and Pears)
    *Andre Williams -- I Wanna Be Your Favorite Pair of Pajamas (which kicks my ass every time I hear it)
    *Jon Spencer Blues Explosion -- Dissect
    *Mule -- Ass
    *Cop Shoot Cop -- Hung Again
    *Swans -- Celebrity Lifestyle
    *Jesus Lizard -- Karpis
    *Reelfoot -- Temple
    *Firewater -- Judas
    *Jon Spencer Blues Explosion -- Eyeballin
    *Jesus Lizard -- If You Had Lips
    *Cop Shoot Cop -- Down Come the Mickey
    *Macha -- Visiting the Ruins
    (*Firewater -- Honey Why; taken from a bad bootleg and never officially recorded...yet -- cut off)

A little repetitive, but so what?
    The next branch is focused on the highly-inbred DC hardcore, etc. scene but includes Slint et al., for the hell of it. We got Girls Against Boys, Edsel, Shudder to Think, Helium, New Wet Kojak, Skeleton Key, Brainiac, Cake Like, Slint, Aerial M, the For Carnation, King Kong, and others.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 04:30 pm:

AND here's my friend's mix that has all the Elvis Costello and Sebadoh (though Everybody's Been Burned is on another one). It's on a 110 min. tape:

Side 1 (Dual Denial):
    Ministry -- Every day is Halloween
    Morrissey -- You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side
    The Breeders -- New Year
    Shudder to Think -- Kissi Penny
    Sebadoh -- Not Too Amused
    Spirit -- Fresh Garbage
    Frank Sinatra -- Lady Is a Tramp
    Elvis Costello -- Beyond Belief
    Sebadoh -- Plate O' Hatred
    The Beatles -- Happiness is a Warm Gun
    Sebadoh -- I Believe in Fate
    Elvis Costello -- Kinder Murder
    This Mortal Coil -- The Last Ray
    Front 242 -- Until Death (Us Do Part)
    Huggy Bear -- Prayer
    Lou Reed -- New Sensations

Side 2 (Dual of Denial)
    Sebadoh -- Little Man
    Pixies -- I've Been Tired
    Sonic Youth -- Nic Fit
    Free Kitten -- Oh Bondage! Up Yours!
    Sex Pistols -- Stepping Stone
    Black Flag -- Rise Above
    Faith No More -- Land of Sunshine
    Shudder to Think -- Hit Liquor
    Lou Barlow -- I am Not Mocking You
    Sonic Youth -- Teenage Riot
    Sebadoh -- Soul Mate
    Pixies -- Bone Machine
    Nine Inch Nails -- Happiness in Slavery (because she thought it was funny)
    Sebadoh -- Careful
    Nirvana -- Negative Creep

It's probably the best mix she's made me. But now she's all religious and doesn't believe in "frivolous and worldly" things like MUSIC anymore. Screw her. I'm still making her bloody mixes!

By Waffleboy on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 05:40 pm:

have you ever heard & dug The Nation of Ulysses? Pre-Make-Up band. They rock even harder, had a chance to see them a long time ago at NC State Univ. the stage was a shakin from Ian's incessant body convulsions, much like his Make-Up performances, which by the way he comes to LA in july, YAAAAAAA

Also have you heard RL Burnside? he is a low down mississippi delta blues kind act, older man, Jon Spencer kinda found him and produced his last two records which rock, he is a comin next Monday, yaaaaaaa

Ever heard Jonathon Fireater? NYC gig, seeing your list, you would dig em, although they are kinda of part of the "i am a heroin addict/artist, hear about my pathetic life in my poetic lyrics" kinda thing. But they are still good. Slint is good but I love the other John McIntyre projects better, (i.e. Tortoise) Also dig Gastr Del Sol which he has dabbled with. HE and that whole Chicago art fag scene is prentious but they crank out some good music. He has produced the last couple of Stereolab records and produced some friends of mine from Atlanta, called Seely........speakin of DC bands, whatever happened to Slant 6?

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 07:09 pm:

Nation of Ulysses: I've *kind of* heard them. My brother has an album of theirs and I've heard it through the walls, but that's just not the same, is it? When his friend gives it back, I'll listen to it properly. Same with the Shipping News.

R.L. Burnside: I have heard of him, but not heard him, except for the collaboration with JSBX on "Now I Got Worry." I should listen to something of his own, shouldn't I?

JF*E: so many people have told me I'd like them that I'm getting suspicious. Conspiracy? *sigh* Yet another something I must get.

Slant 6: They broke up. I think. I believe I read that somewhere.

If you/your friends are from Atlanta, have you/they ever heard (of) a band called Mouse? Not Modest Mouse, just Mouse?

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 07:16 pm:

And what album is The Cure's "Funeral Party" off of? They were my favorite band as a kid, until Wild Mood Swings came out and just killed my love. I will always hold that "Charlotte Sometimes" is the saddest song ever.

Speaking of killing my love, have any of you ever heard of Glyn Styler? He has this great song, "You Killed My Love" (imagine that) that is floating around my head right now.

By Waffleboy on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 07:17 pm:

i am from atlanta, bt i have been in LA for 2 years now, are they current , i haven't heard of them

yeah i just saw on the flaming lips website they are comin to town, yaaaaaaaaa

By Cyst on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 06:58 am:

last time I saw jon spencer, rl burnside opened. should have been the other way around.

jsbx is ok in that silly white guy blues way. I wouldn't buy the albums but he's very nice to look at in person. prefer to watch boss hog, though, to see him and cristina play off each other. they are both way hot.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 08:41 am:

I just heard a clip of "I Want You" on Amazon.com. Oooh, I like it!

Mouse is current, I think. Though, you know, I'm thinking now that they may not be from Atlanta......sorry. Chicago? I know Mac and Jenny McNeilly are in it and I know they are *from* Atlanta, though whether or not they still live there is doubtful. My mistake.

You're right about JSBX opening for R.L. Burnside, Cyst. It seems almost insulting that Mr. Burnside should be relegated to opening band status.

And I read somewhere that Cristina recently did a spread for Hustler, so she seems to think she's hot, too.

By Cyst on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 09:14 am:

I've seen naked photos of her. she is beyond hot, really.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 09:15 am:

Glyn Styler over on Amazon.com

If you're interested, make sure you listen to "You Killed My Love," even though the clip isn't of a good part of the song. It's a very very very melodramatic song, but very fun to listen to and sing along with at the top of your lungs, especially when you can relate.

Some people hate his voice, some people love it. He's been called the Frank Sinatra of death, and you can hear why.

By J on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 10:21 am:

I,m getting that C.D.it,s right up my alley!I think Mike Meyers might have got his idea for Austin from Mike Flowers.I came upon Mike Flowers on accident,I have dish t.v. and they have a alt.music station that plays non-stop music,no commercials.They started playing this version of Creep(Radiohead)that cracked me up,like if Frank Sinatra was singing it Big Band style,but since nobody comes on to tell you who sings it I resorted to calling record stores and asking about it.One guy said he thought it must be Mike Flowers and he had the C.D.in stock,so I went and got it.Well it wasn,t the guys that did Creep,who I finally tracted down and they are a band called the Recliners and I,ve seen twice and hope to see again, a real party band.They have a C.D.out called Cosa Caliente and not only do they do a cover of Cry Me A River,they do I Want To Be Sedated,Back in Black,you get the drift,check them out.But Mike Flowers is all together different,he dresses very 60,s has that English accent,the C.D. is called The Mike Flowers Pops "A Groovy Place" he does a cover of Oasis, Wonderwall,and his version of Prince,s 1999 is so wayyy out there,I like it at the end how he say,s the reason his voice sounds so clear is cause there,s no crack in his system.Then again one of my favorite C.D.,s is Lounge-a-palooza I think it,s funny and scarey at the same time to hear Steve and Eydie Gorme singing Black Hole Sun.

By Waffleboy on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 11:00 am:

mmmmmmmm.........i couldn't agree more bout the insane desire to be caught in a christina sandwich....hubba hubba!!!!!!

though i don't think boss hogg is as good as jbsx, or even pussy galore, RL should be on his own, but what the hell, i don't think it serves him any less, in fact I am seeing him this monday here in hollywood, on his own tour,

the jbsx records have steadily gotten worse since the beginning, the first one rocks outta sight and now the collaborations with grand royal and the b-boys & beck have sort taken away what made them so good to begin with...howver cyst, the albums rock, i wouldn't avoid them at all, unless of course you jes don't wanna buy them, but they all are realtively good, the older they are the better...

"The Funeral Party" is on the Cure's first record, called Faith, it's theri best one eve I think....

By Cyst on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 11:22 am:

I've seen jsbx, boss hog, royal trux. I've listened to, owned cds by the honeymoon killers, pussy galore.

I want to like all that. my friends like all that. my ex-boyfriend used to play those records.

my friends tell me funny stories about jon and cristina. their wedding photos are hilarious. as I said once before, the birth announcement for their son is the nicest I've ever seen. they're sexy and have taste and class.

a former bandmate of mine produced boss hog's first geffen record. boss hog's "I dig you" video is the best russ meyer tribute I've ever seen. almost everyone I like and respect likes all ths pussy galore spinoffs.

but I still think the music is dull.

By Waffleboy on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 11:51 am:

cyst, nate, check yer email now.....

By Nate on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 12:52 pm:

got it.

nice ass.

nice pistol.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 12:55 pm:

J, I'm so glad Glyn Styler caught your interest! Thing is, the album (EP, rather) is pretty hard to find. You can get it from Amazon, or you can write the distributing label, Touch and Go, directly, and save some $ while you're at it. Address:

Touch and Go Records
    PO Box 25520
    Chicago, IL 60625
    Attn: Mailorder

Write on your order: ALP303 Glyn Styler -- Live at the Mermaid Lounge

It's $10. Shipping is free for 4th class mail, 75 cents for 1st class. They take checks, money orders, and credit cards.

I disagree with the statement that JSBX have gotten progressively worse. For ex., I'm not too crazy about "Extra Width" and "Acme" is different from the others but still has its own charm. (I love the song, "Torture") "Orange" is my favorite, I guess. Actually, I'm not *that* big a fan. Mule and Reelfoot (really, PW Long, who fronts both bands) do a much better job with the white boy blues. Long sings "my skin is white, but my heart is black," in one song. He's not so self-consciously hip, either.

Though you're right about Jon and Cristina being sexy.

By Waffleboy on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 01:04 pm:

crypt style is the best, and the very firsts one which is self titled i believe and extra width and mo width are the best, he has just gottena little more flashy, even though the times when i have seen him play I WAS tempted to take of my undies and toss em up...i jes like the early albums, they have less production, more low-fi, i really like em all and listen to em all ......

i am just waiting for the opportune time to replace russell simons, i could play his beats in my sleep, anyone need work, i got a job to be done??

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 01:13 pm:

"Crypt Style"? You know, I've never heard of that? When was it released?

J, I forgot, you also have to say that it's a CD EP that you want, and a quantity of 1.

Today, since I don't work today and I have the car, I'm going to track down "Blood and Chocolate" even if I have to drive to Delaware to find it.

By Waffleboy on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 01:19 pm:

it was their second record, i don't have a date handy but i would guess 92???? It has them on the cover with lipstick on their face, it's very raw, no production what so ever, it's the best one

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 01:25 pm:

I may have to pick that one up, as well. I've never seen it anywhere, so let's hope my search is fruitful.

By Agatha on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 01:32 pm:

i was at a party in a nyc loft with john and christina, among many others. they were snotty, and she was loud and annoying. they used to live in rhode island because at least one of them went to rhode island school of design. i saw christina frequently, and she annoyed me before i even knew who she was. what a drama queen.

By Waffleboy on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 01:42 pm:

well i am not surprised, yes she did go to the school of design if i am not mistaken, i read in a n interview.....nonethless, they got my vote for hot couple of the year

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 02:08 pm:

I thought Jon went to RISD, because I know Tod Ashley went there, and Tod and Jon were in a band together called Shithaus in the mid-eighties, so I just figured...

re: drama king and queen -- That's the problem when people are *ahem* "all that" and know it...they get all self-promoting and obnoxious. *sigh*

By Dave on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 11:35 pm:

Margret, I'm stoked that you like the minutemen. I can't even put into words how big of an effect they had on me. I went from a goth, Foetus lovin, PTV lovin, Virgin Prunes lovin, Alien Sex Fiend lovin wannabe bastard to a plain ol' bastard thanks to the minutemen and NoMeansNo.

I still secretly love Alien Sex Fiend.

The rest, don't forget Butter 08. Has anybody heard the new Cibo Matto?

By Rhiannon on Thursday, June 24, 1999 - 08:08 am:

No, but tell me about Foetus. He's another one friends have tried to pressure me into buying, and I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I slap that $15.99 down.

Yesterday, well, my goodness, I did find "Blood and Chocolate" and I did get it and I did listen to "I Want You." Let me say, at first, I was unmoved, but THEN things really picked up, and when I got to the parts near the end when his voice gets all strained and emotional...well! Do you think there are some addiction-causing subliminal messages hidden here? I can't take it out of the stereo! Not that I mind...

By Margret on Thursday, June 24, 1999 - 09:32 am:

Yuh-huh. Thta's what I'm talking about. That voice breaking thing is, like, transcendant. I have come to really dig the beginning instead of thinking it interrupted the flow, as I used to. I now see it a some supremely clever moment of both irony/deconstruction of the love song format, and a cruel lulling into a false sense of security so that when the stark beauty of the "I want you"s commence, your guard is down. I have come to the conclusion that the motif of repetition is being used to brainwash me. I am now one of Elvis' army. Oh my GOD is that song painful to listen to...and you just can't stop. A secret no longer: I have never listened to the rest of the album. Never. I have absolutely NO idea what's on it.

By J on Thursday, June 24, 1999 - 10:16 am:

Margret,Rhiannon,God you have good taste,and I don,t know whats on Blood and Chocolate either,I have a The Very Best of Elvis Costello and the Attractions C.D.,the last out of 22 songs is I Want You.It has some of my favorites(what,s so funny bout )peace, love,and understanding,and everyday I write the book.I love Veronica,that,s on his Spike C.D.,he wrote it about his granny,reminds me of my mom,I,d like to have her put away but am afraid she would try to kill me.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, June 24, 1999 - 10:47 am:

Like that lady in Florida? (I think it was Florida)

I haven't listened to the rest of the album, either! I've only had it for a day, but I don't think I'm going to, because what other song could possibly equal that splendor? That ferocity when he snarls "I might as well be useless for all it means to you"? That there is some damned satisfying music. Yep.

Margret, when you said that it looks better for musicians if people buy their albums the day after a concert at a record store -- why is that?

By Margret on Thursday, June 24, 1999 - 11:20 am:

Because the numbers are tracked more accurately through distribution that way, rather than the generic "on tour" numbers. I never buy at shows, I always buy at stores, because selling at retail is a bigger deal for the major labels who are the ones who will give the money to the indie label to put their artist in distribution.

By J on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 12:43 am:

Margret,is there something you want to tell us?About the break-up?I love Elvis,but I could only get the Recliners C.D. by catching the show.

By Margret on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 01:10 am:

I said everything I needed to about the break-up.

By J on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 01:21 am:

That,s cool then,I noticed you don,t beat about the bush,and that,s what I like about you.

By J on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 01:39 am:

Rhiannon,yea,your on it like Blue Bonnet,I bet your mothers favorite.

By Rhiannon on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 08:09 am:

Ummm, where did that come from? Is that a compliment?

My mother has always said that she loves all three of us equally and that if she had to choose (in a Sophie's Choice situation) which one of us to save and which two to let die, she would kill herself. So there.

By J on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 09:50 am:

It was a compliment.

By Cyst on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 09:54 am:

does anyone else have a porno land-o-lakes gal on their fridge?

By Waffleboy on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 11:11 am:

land-o-lakes no, some cut out's from Perfect 10 mag, YES, and a strange calendar with a topless Hindu woman that could pass for the land o lakes womn say in Bombay.

By J on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 11:27 am:

I know what Cyst means you cut out the butter box,fold it right,and she,s showing her jugs,I taught my kids this,God help me.

By Agatha on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 01:08 pm:

i have a circle cut out on my fridge that says "maximum penis power." the man who used to live here before us was a seriously perverse, nra-loving, homo-hating, viagra-taking, eighty-something-year-old. he gets scary mail.

By J on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 01:19 pm:

I like you,you must be might lost twin.

By J on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 01:22 pm:

And Elvis does a song called A Good Year For The Roses that kinda hurts too,he,s a master with words and I still want to shag him.

By Waffleboy on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 01:24 pm:

i saw this video made when he was working in the studio, his eyes were so god damned vacant, he was so strung out high as akite, but this was when he still looked good....man o man

By Gee on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 07:40 pm:

um, okay which Elvis are we talking about now?

My mother always said I was responsible for Elvis Presley's death.

By Waffles on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 07:53 pm:

OOOPPS I AM CONFUSED....

"i am cold & frightned" grandpa simpson

By J on Saturday, June 26, 1999 - 01:05 pm:

Gee,it,s Elvis Costello,who has already outlived Elvis Presley by 3 years,and I still want to wrap my legs around his neck.

By Gee on Sunday, June 27, 1999 - 05:36 am:

I haven't killed Costello yet. I've got to get past Abbot-t first.

teeheehee! Oh how I crack myself up!!

By Gee on Sunday, June 27, 1999 - 05:38 am:

How the heck did that happen?

One of you did it. I know it.

By Nelly on Wednesday, July 14, 1999 - 06:56 pm:

I'm writing my thank-you notes.

So thank you Margaret for making me go out and get Blood and Chocolate, I've been playing it in the car for the last 3 weeks and it's taken over the inner listening room.

The one that gets me, however, is "I hope you're happy now." Guess it's the Ringo beat.

And am now in grip of a major EC mania, 2 more CD's and another on order. Had to check in with Armed Forces last night. Still amazing.

Don't kill him yet, he's supposed to be coming out with a new song soon

A good year for the roses is I think a George Jones song.

By J on Wednesday, July 14, 1999 - 07:19 pm:

Check out Brutal Youth.

By Spider on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 08:42 am:

1. I'm obsessed with Elvis Costello at the moment.

2. Brutal Youth is my favorite album of his. Kinder Murder, This Is Hell, Sulky Girl, London's Brilliant Parade, You Tripped at Every Step, 20% Amnesia -- all brilliant. I had been listening to a taped copy of the record for years, and then last night I picked up a 2-CD set that has the original album on one CD and a bunch of b-sides and alternate versions on the other. The liner notes give a little background to each song and include all the lyrics. Excellent.

3. I wrote up there: "My mother has always said that she loves all three of us equally and that if she had to choose (in a Sophie's Choice situation) which one of us to save and which two to let die, she would kill herself. So there."

All *three* of us? WTF? I only have one brother. That must have been during a lying phase.

4. Three years later, I still have never listened to all of Blood and Chocolate. Before the concert on Saturday, I listened to the first 6-7 tracks in the car, and I didn't like any of them (except I Want You, obviously). Good thing I did, because he played Uncomplicated that night and I wouldn't have recognized it otherwise. It sounded better live. I might have to let the other songs grow on me before I like them.

5. So, I either have or have heard My Aim Is True, This Year's Model, Armed Forces, Blood and Chocolate, Brutal Youth, and When I Was Cruel. What else should I get?

By dave. on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 09:21 am:

imperial bedroom, king of america, punch the clock. duh.

By Dougie on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 09:29 am:

All This Useless Beauty is my favorite Elvis album. Poor Fractured Atlas is my fav tune off that album. Brilliant Mistake is probably my all around fav Elvis tune.

By J on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 12:14 pm:

Mighty like a Rose,Goodby Cruel World,Spike,and Trust,which has Gloomy Sunday (that suicide song)my favorite one on Trust is Boy With a Problem.He's done so many albums I guess if I could only pick one album it would be The Very Best of Elvis Costello and the Attractions 22 songs on it,including I Want You,and one of my favorites Man Out of Time.

By Spider on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 12:51 pm:

They played Man Out of Time on Saturday night.

God, that just may have been the greatest concert I've ever been to.

OK, I'm going to look for Trust, All This Useless Beauty, and my own copy of Armed Forces. More to follow.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact