Wave of Mutilation -Pixies

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: Wave of Mutilation -Pixies
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Waffles on Tuesday, August 17, 1999 - 06:59 pm:

man, the Pixies are tops, one of a handful truely creative and orginal rock bands of the 80s-90s. I miss them.....

By Cyst on Wednesday, August 18, 1999 - 10:37 am:

one night seven years ago when I was pretending to be kým deal I was served my first eviction notice.

it wasn't "wave of mutilation," though. "tame" or "bone machine," probably.

By Waffles on Wednesday, August 18, 1999 - 10:48 am:

she's kinda sexxxy

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, August 18, 1999 - 11:46 am:

The worst song ever to get stuck in your head is "monkey gone to heaven". That or the one line: "hips like cinderella"

By Waffles on Wednesday, August 18, 1999 - 11:59 am:

nooooooo...thats one of the best songs.....ah hell, they all rock..

Monkey Gone to Heaven

there was a guy
    an under water guy who controlled
    the sea
    got killed by ten million pounds of
    sludge
    from new york and new jersey
    this monkey's gone to heaven

the creature in the sky
    got sucked in ahole
    now there's a hole in the sky
    and the ground's not cold
    and if the ground's not cold
    everything is gonna burn
    we'll all take turns
    i'll get mine, too
    this monkey's gone to haven

rock me joe!
    if man is 5, if man is 5, if man is 5,
    then the devil is 6, then the devil is
    then the devil is 6, and if the devil
    is 6
    then god is 7, then god is 7, then
    god is 7
    this monkey's gone to heaven

TAME (is what you are thinking of)

got hips like cinderella
    must be having a good
    shame
    talking sweet about nothing
    cookie i think you're tame

i'm making good friends
    with you
    when you're shaking your
    good frame
    fall on your face in those
    bad shoes
    lying there like you're tame

uh huh huh
    tame

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, August 18, 1999 - 01:33 pm:

No no no...I knew they were different songs!

I'm saying on one hand you are tortured by an entire song, which at least gives you a little variety, and on the other you just get "hips like Cinderella" over and over and over again. Or maybe that's just me.

Don't get me wrong..."monkey gone to heaven" is my favorite Pixies song, just not something I want to think about all day.

By Waffles on Wednesday, August 18, 1999 - 01:40 pm:

ah...ok dear...your off the list.....i misunderstood

By J on Wednesday, August 18, 1999 - 02:10 pm:

I wish I had hips,I hear they make childbirth easier,nothing like pushing a watermellon through a garden hose to make you feel alive.

By Cyst on Wednesday, August 18, 1999 - 04:24 pm:

I got hips like cinderella. they're good for setting groceries on.

my roommate was really pissed about that eviction thing.

By Waffleboy on Wednesday, August 18, 1999 - 05:31 pm:

i still claim hips on a woman is absolutely the sexiest feature

By Gee on Thursday, August 19, 1999 - 02:21 am:

I have always been very fond of the collerbone on women.

By Swine on Thursday, August 19, 1999 - 03:37 am:

professor, what's another name for buried treasure?

By Waffles on Thursday, August 19, 1999 - 03:45 am:

well...I say

its.....its........boo boo boo..booooooooooootay!

i wish I had more bounce

By Rhiannon on Friday, June 9, 2000 - 05:04 pm:

This morning I found a mix that I had made for myself in high school. It's a driving mix. I had cut pictures of flowers and vegetables out of a seed catalog and pasted them all over the sides of the cassette tape and case. The title is "To motor: v., to drive or ride in an automobile." I think I made this when I was 15.

Side A: "Hey! Hey! Billy Budd!"

But Not Tonight -- Depeche Mode
    Debaser -- Pixies
    Wild Child -- Lou Reed
    Just Like Heaven -- Cure
    There Is a Light That Never Goes Out -- Smiths
    Violet Execution -- Sebadoh
    Suspicious Minds -- Elvis Presley
    Monkey Gone to Heaven -- Pixies
    June Bug -- B-52s

Side B: "I Saw Her Face, Now I'm a Believer"

Now My Heart Is Full -- Morrissey
    Never Let Me Down -- Depeche Mode
    Summerhead -- Cocteau Twins
    Why Can't I Be Good? (live) -- Lou Reed
    Gold Soundz -- Pavement
    All Day Afternoon -- Judybats
    All Your Jeans Were Too Tight -- American Music Club
    Kinder Murder -- Elvis Costello
    Kissi Penny -- Shudder to Think

I listened to it on the way home from work today. It is indeed great to drive to, especially on a sunny summer day.

Speaking of "Kinder Murder," does anybody know what exactly this song is about? What is the title in reference to?

By droopy on Friday, June 9, 2000 - 06:32 pm:

i think it's a reference to the killing of a child that was the result of a rape.

By Rhiannon on Friday, June 9, 2000 - 06:54 pm:

Yeah, I was thinking of abortion but wanted to be sure.

By droopy on Sunday, June 11, 2000 - 02:57 pm:

this weekend i found a compilation tape that was made for a road trip to colorado in 1985. i don't know how it managed to survive this long - i have to turn my stereo up to its limits to listen to it. this tape and the who's 'maximum r&b' got us through a non-stop trip from fort worth to colorado springs.

side 1

funtime
    passenger
    lust for life
    sixteen -- all iggy pop
    -
    jeepster -- t-rex
    -
    submission
    pretty vacant -- sex pistols
    -
    now i wanna be your dog
    something else -- sid vicious
    -
    apeman -- kinks

this was all taped over the velvet underground's 1969:live album, so the end of 'apeman' goes immediately into the last chords of 'new age', then to all of 'rock and roll' and then a chorus and a verse of 'beginning to see the light'.

side 2

the entire 'tim' album by the replacements, which was hot off the presses at the time.

brings back memories.

By dave. on Sunday, June 11, 2000 - 04:15 pm:

i never could get into the replacements. i was more minutemen and meat puppets and butthole surfers and big boys back then. sst ruled. whatever happened to sst? <---(rhetorical)

By droop on Sunday, June 11, 2000 - 05:15 pm:

for me the placemats are one of those bands that, if you asked me, i'd say they were great, but the recordings i still have of them (the aforementioned and 'pleased to meet me') i almost never listen to. though i would like to hear 'boink' again.

mike watt is my hero.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact