Singing in the shower

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: Singing in the shower
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Jim aka PajamaBoy on Tuesday, September 21, 1999 - 08:05 am:

Ok. Fess up. Everyone does it. What songs do you all sing in the shower, and what song in particular makes you think that a record company should sign you on the spot -- in the shower!

:-)

For me, it's Lionel Richie's "Truly."

By Simon on Tuesday, September 21, 1999 - 09:22 am:

White Room by Cream.

By JusMiceElf on Tuesday, September 21, 1999 - 09:29 am:

"The Newry Highwayman"

"...and when I'm dead aye they'll speak the truth, he was a wild, he was a wild and a wicked youth..."

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, September 21, 1999 - 09:35 am:

"The Wind that Shakes the Barley"

"Little Girl Blue"

"Someone to Watch Over Me"

"Mr. Cardiac" ("Hey, Mr. Cardiac, where is my heart attack? I placed my order six hours ago...")

By J on Tuesday, September 21, 1999 - 10:40 am:

Don,t Cry for me Argentina,(don,t ask me why).

By JusMiceElf on Tuesday, September 21, 1999 - 11:26 am:

"The Oxford Girl"

"Is it true what you hear, did he do it out of fear? Was the day drawing near when a child was about to show? Was he brave or ashamed of the damage to his name, was it something worse does anybody know?"

By JusMiceElf on Tuesday, September 21, 1999 - 11:27 am:

"The Oxford Girl"

"Is it true what you hear, did he do it out of fear? Was the day drawing near when a child was about to show? Was he brave or ashamed of the damage to his name, was it something worse does anybody know?"

By Swine on Tuesday, September 21, 1999 - 11:38 am:

"armagideon time/justice tonight/kick it over/johnny's got a problem(and he's out of control) swine remix."

that remix only exists in my head and in my shower right now. but someday i hope that little kids in cambodia will be able to buy it off the tv in one of those K-TEL Greatest Hits packages.
    $12.99 plus shipping and handling.
    offer void in mississippi, vatican city, and alabama.

"pfunk(wants to get funked up)".

that's been a shower mainstay for years. one of my best memories of college was starting a pfunk sing-a-long with a bunch of drunken strangers on the roof of a friend's frat house while the sun came up. a bunch of people were partying on the roof of the frat next door, so we got them to do a call and response thing. then somebody from alpha-schmegma-phlegm puked on somebody from kappa-crappa-crappa and a fight broke out.
    so much for drunken solidarity.

al green's "let's stay together" is another favorite. TJ and i used to sing that at ATTWS until the director of ops came by and told us to shut the hell up. sounds better in the shower, anyway.

i used to sing ella fitzgerald's "aint got nothin' but the blues" a lot. i should start singing that one again. put it on my voicemail message. hang up signs on my front door. make t-shirts and stamp it on my forehead.

"FUCK OFF. I AINT GOT NUTTIN' BUT THE BLUES FOR YA, MAN."

very fitting.

By Waffles on Tuesday, September 21, 1999 - 01:59 pm:

"lil school girl" muddy waters, although i prefer Junior wells' remix of it, it's a little more up beat...

By J on Tuesday, September 21, 1999 - 02:04 pm:

I think Ten Years After did it too.

By Semillama on Tuesday, September 21, 1999 - 08:10 pm:

JusMicElf, Rhiannon...Solas, by any chance?

I don't sing in the shower, but I talk funny to my cat.

But I do that all the time.

By Crimson on Tuesday, September 21, 1999 - 08:34 pm:

sometimes, i launch into a fucked-up rendition of "back door man"--either doors or howlin' wolf style. or various numbers from haydn's "creation". or deranged songs of my own composition. those are usually the ones that end up freaking out the neighbors.

By JusMiceElf on Tuesday, September 21, 1999 - 08:48 pm:

Actually, I prefer the Boiled in Lead version of Newry, but I like Solas's "Unquiet Grave."

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, September 21, 1999 - 09:02 pm:

Sorry, Sem. Heard of them, but never heard them.

J and Crimson, what I wouldn't give to hear you!

Other numbers in my repetoire:
    *Jesus Walked This Lonesome Valley
    *Were You There When They Crucified My Lord? (the Diamanda Galas version, if I'm alone in the house)
    *I Can't Give You Anything But Love
    *The Drunkard's Lament
    *Bourbon and Division
    *Cemetery Polka
    *That Loreena McKennitt song that starts "A blacksmith courted me, nine month and better..." (You ain't the only one with a ballad up his/her sleeve, JusMiceElf)

*I used to know a whole bunch of sea shanties back in the day when I wanted to be a pirate. Those things are fun to sing.

By JusMiceElf on Tuesday, September 21, 1999 - 09:26 pm:

Dirty Old Town

Go, Move, Shift!
    "Born by side of a blackthorn hedge, the white hoarfrost lay all about. No wise men came bearing gifts, instead the order came to shift....Move along, get along! Move along, get along! Go! Move! Shift!"

When I'm Up I Can't Get Down

Happy Loving Couples

How about Matty Groves for ballads, Rhia? Love the Fairport version of that.....

Cruel to be Kind (one of Nick Lowe's best, along with Marie Provost)

Angels Wanna Wear my Red Shoes....

By Gee on Wednesday, September 22, 1999 - 01:13 am:

I don't have a shower song. I just sing whatever song is stuck in my head that day.

I'm going to take a shower after I write this note. I think I'll sing "Panic" from The Smiths.

"HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ..."

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, September 22, 1999 - 10:35 am:

How about songs you sing whilst washing the dishes? For me, the two sets do not overlap.

*Shine On Elizabeth (as in Elizabeth, NJ -- "Chemical sunset, shine on Elizabeth, a fiery stain exploding through rigging, arteries bursting with zombie commuters, down and out in the house of the holy..." -- really fun to sing because you can shriek while you do it)

*9th and Hennepin / Walking Spanish (more of a spoken word medley than a song)

*Pie Jesu (from Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Requiem," sung about an octave lower than it is originally)

*Trust, by the Cure

*Little Bird, Little Bird (from "Man of La Mancha")

*Amazing Grace (all four verses...also good for when you have to look for something in the basement and you want to keep away the evil spirits that you know are down there)

The sad thing is I can't sing. I have like no range -- from about the E below middle C to the A above middle C, on a good day -- and my voice is expressionless. The neat thing is, though, when I'm sick, I can sing as low as the G right above bass C. It probably doesn't sound too good, but I have fun.

By J on Wednesday, September 22, 1999 - 10:40 am:

I have a horrible voice(except in the shower)but if I was washing dishes,Old Man River would be the song I,d sing,or E.L.O,s Don,t Bring Me Down.

By Perfidy on Wednesday, September 22, 1999 - 11:01 am:

Gee - couldn't agree more. Smiths - Panic.
    Shower Music. Handel - Water Music. No Soap - Radio.

By Crimson on Wednesday, September 22, 1999 - 11:17 am:

i sing the hallelujah chorus while my husband washes the dishes.

By J on Wednesday, September 22, 1999 - 11:32 am:

Crimson!!! I love you!!!

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Wednesday, September 22, 1999 - 03:10 pm:

"How Much Is That Doggie In the Window?"

By J on Wednesday, September 22, 1999 - 03:20 pm:

How bout those dog kickers,ain,t they mean?Kicking those puppy dogs in the spleen.Kicking the black dog,kicking the white,kicking the puppy dog till they bite.How to be a dog kicker?Don,t need a ticket,just get yourself a dog and rear back and kick it!!!

By Dirty Billy the Bully on Wednesday, September 22, 1999 - 05:46 pm:

Piggly-Wiggly,
    Birdbath pie,
    Cat Lips,
    Fish hips,
    Poke you in the eye.

~&~

Roses are red,
    Violets are purple.
    Sugar is sweet.
    So's maple surple.

~&~

Roses are red.
    Violets are blue.
    Some poems rhyme.
    This one doesn't.

sorry

By Soapy sales nelly on Wednesday, September 22, 1999 - 10:11 pm:

1. You can pull all the stops out
    'Til they call the cops out
    Grind your behind 'til you're dead
    But you gotta have a gimmick
    If you wanna get ahead...

2. Down in the valley,
    The valley so low
    Hang your head over
    Hear the wind blow...

Oh you can't roller skate in a buffalo herd
    Can't roller skate in a buffalo herd
    You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd
    But you can be happy if you've a mind to

Oh you can't take a shower in a canary bird's cage...

but... does anyone know the "bridge" lyrics to the latter song? (besides Roger Miller)

By Gee on Thursday, September 23, 1999 - 01:06 am:

What's on the bill for tonights shower you ask?

"D For Democracy" by Spirit of the West as sung by GEE.

Would anyone like a drink before the show starts?

By MapleLeaf on Thursday, September 23, 1999 - 10:40 am:

Blue Light, please....bottle is fine....thanks

By Waffles on Thursday, September 23, 1999 - 11:45 am:

im leaving now

By J on Thursday, September 23, 1999 - 12:08 pm:

Don,t go Waffles I wanna hear Gee,I,ll play with your Johnson under the table.

By Waffles on Thursday, September 23, 1999 - 12:20 pm:

ok

By Waffles on Thursday, September 23, 1999 - 01:05 pm:

T.R.O.U.B.L.E. J t.r.o.u.b.l.e.

By Perfidy on Thursday, September 23, 1999 - 01:34 pm:

Johnson?
    I knew a guy named Johnson once.
    Tall guy – wore a hat…

By J on Thursday, September 23, 1999 - 04:39 pm:

My maiden name was Johnson.

By Perfidy on Thursday, September 23, 1999 - 05:51 pm:

I went to see a band called The Swinging Johnson's once. A deft play on words I thought.

I feel like I'm intruding here so please carry on with Waffles.

By Gee and Parliament on Friday, September 24, 1999 - 03:27 am:

"I been watching you...the way you move your sexy body."

I spent an hour and a half in the shower tonight! Has anyone ever shaved Everything? (except your head.) How long does it generally take you?

By J on Friday, September 24, 1999 - 10:32 am:

Oh Gee,a hour and a half?You sure you weren,t uh touching your self?I can,t get that Mombo#5 song out of my head.

By Rhiannon on Friday, September 24, 1999 - 10:58 am:

One of my theories (and boy, do I have a bunch of them) is that there is a direct relationship between depth of depression and length of showers taken.

This is based on empirical evidence, but may be skewed because of the availability bias. I know I take longer showers when I'm depressed, everyone in my family does, my friends do, I've heard or read other depressed people mention taking long showers...but if this is true of the general population, I don't know. I'll have to do some research.

By Rhiannon on Friday, September 24, 1999 - 11:01 am:

Oh. But this doesn't mean you're depressed if you take long showers. It means you take long showers when you're depressed.

One of the many benefits to going to an all-women's college is that you don't have to shave your legs. I won't tell you how long it's been since I shaved mine. Underarms, however...that's every other day for me...takes less than 2 minutes.

By Jinafishes on Friday, September 24, 1999 - 07:00 pm:

I love singing "The Last Drink" by the Odds. It's like a drunkards lament:

Carrying your ashes from bar to bar,
    I'm in a mess and your in a mason jar,
    With you under my arm like a football,
    I'm not ready to let go and that is all,
    You were, never big on conversation,
    And that hasn't changed since your Creamation, and I feel most times
    Like you do, you know I feel most
    Time like you do, I wish I was hard
    Nosed, fight a forest fire with a garden
    Hose, and be big enough right now,
    To start on something new...

Or for some reason I'll sing that redone song by Frente` about "everytime I see you falling, I, get down on my knees and pray." Oooorrr Epitaph by the Age of Electric. That is one sexy cover by the way. Men's torsos are just beautifully erotic, I love the indents right under the hipbone, and the slopes of their stomach. [drool]

By Gee on Sunday, September 26, 1999 - 04:00 am:

I take longer showers when I feel good, actually. Plus I was planning something really good for the following day, which is why I took the time to shave so much.

Tonight I feel really rotten, so I'm not going to take a shower. I don't even have to leave the house tomorow if I don't want too, so damn the world, I'll smell if I want too.

And no J...I was not touching myself. I don't do that in the shower. The water gets cold too fast. There are just Some places that you have to move a little more slowly around when you're holding a razor. Like...your ankles.

By Fetidbeaver_And_The_Douchettes on Sunday, September 26, 1999 - 08:41 am:

"I'll smell if I want to"

That's a line from that song....."It's my beaver and it'll smell if I want to".....

By Why on Sunday, September 26, 1999 - 12:32 pm:

All of you are insane.

By Rhiannon on Sunday, September 26, 1999 - 01:06 pm:

Oh, yeah? Bite us.

Around the ankles and behind the knees. Wouldn't it just be disgusting if you cut yourself there?

You know how there are certain parts of your body that you're really sensitive about...not because of the way they look but because the thought of getting hurt there makes your head swim? For me it's behind my knees, my stomach, and my inner thighs. I read once that when Ted Bundy was killing one of his victims, he bit her on her inner thigh. Thinking about that makes me freak out.

By JusMiceElf on Sunday, September 26, 1999 - 05:12 pm:

Eyes and knees. I can't listen to anyone talk in detail about knee surgery. I get queasy and have to walk away. And I almost fainted once when my friend Ali was telling a professor about his eye troubles, and how he might have to have surgery or risk blindness in his one good eye.

By J on Sunday, September 26, 1999 - 06:49 pm:

I had an RK,burnt the inside of my thigh last night,put some aloe vera on the blister,now it doesn,t hurt so bad.

By Gee on Monday, September 27, 1999 - 05:28 am:

Sometimes my friend pulls gently on the hair near her temple and it freaks me out to see the skin lifting off of her skull like that. I just bend my pinky finger back a bit and freak her out till she stops, though.

By Perfidy on Monday, September 27, 1999 - 12:14 pm:

I think you guys ROCK!

Any advice on how to remove that beaver smell from a given area?

By Spider on Monday, September 27, 1999 - 12:57 pm:

Dude, what happened when you were shot at in Harlem??? We've got to know!

By Perfidy on Monday, September 27, 1999 - 01:32 pm:

Not a big deal. 10 years ago may be. I had been partying with friends at Googies pub in the village off of Washington Square. Lived in North Jersey at the time. Instead of going home through the tunnel to route 3, decided to drive north on Broadway and cut over to Riverside and take the GW. Stopped at a light in the 150’s and was approached on both sides of the car by two guys. Drivers side guy has a gun and tells me to get the f out of the car. I duck, hit the gas and drive straight forward. No shots fired. If I said shots were fired, they were not. I don’t go to the city any more.

By J on Monday, September 27, 1999 - 01:36 pm:

I don,t blame you!!That,s scary!!

By Waffles on Monday, September 27, 1999 - 01:50 pm:

yeah but the chances of it happeniong again are next to nothing...you have ahd your brush with death, if anything you can rest easy, just be smart.

and i too have pondered what i would if that were the case....and i am glad to hear that method works.....at least in your case...

By Perfidy on Monday, September 27, 1999 - 02:45 pm:

By J on Monday, September 27, 1999 - 02:49 pm:

They are both living dolls!

By Perfidy on Monday, September 27, 1999 - 04:06 pm:

10 Q!

By Fetidbeaver on Monday, September 27, 1999 - 06:41 pm:

Beaver Smell Remover: (patent pend.)

1 part aviation fuel (alcohol based)

1 part Hellman's mayo

3 parts Napalm

Mix carefully, apply to affected area, runlike hell!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact