Gospel 2000

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: Gospel 2000
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rhiannon on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 12:40 pm:

Ian Svenonius, I worship thee.

Let me hear you say YEAH!!!

By Patrick on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 01:08 pm:

here comes the judge!!!!

here comes the judge!!!!

By Rhiannon on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 01:30 pm:

Yo, whazzup, London? How y'all feelin'?

(okay, so it's not the reverend speaking, but i love that line)

At the tone, time will be time for you to synchronize your sweet watch for me...

By Patrick on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 01:43 pm:

if i weren't married Rhi, i'd ask you out on a date..........

By Rhiannon on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 01:59 pm:

Ha! Our shared love for squealing, swanky rockstars aside, I'm afraid I'd be too straitlaced for you....considering I've never even been drunk...

We're having a baby. What we gonna name it, baby? What we gonna name it, baby? We could call it Pain! We could call it Misery! We could call it Sadness! *squeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaal*

By Patrick on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 02:25 pm:

how pretty, how pretty can you get...NOW......?

well despite my vices, i don't think you would be too straight laced, you seem like the type i could drink lots of coffee with shoot the shit with or play cards with in a coffee shop for extended hours, hell, we could do that despite my marriage...but of course thats all superficial, you being there, me being here.....oh well,

By Rhiannon on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 02:50 pm:

Did you know....my friend L., who used to study photography, has been taking pictures with her siblings at the coffee shop she goes to, and she asked me to come with them on their next excursion. It's too bad we do live on opposite coasts, because she's the perfect model. She can capture any kind of expression on her face you ask for.

A few years ago, she and I went into the field behind my house, and I took a picture of her with her head popping up among a sea of weeds. It's a b&w photo, and because of her coloring and stuff you can barely see her among the plants, and on top of that I got a single weed in the close foreground....I don't know, I thought it was a really neat picture. If I had a scanner, I'd show it to you, but alas...

By Patrick on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 03:57 pm:

do you have the new make up?

I need to pick it up, i have hard most of it and it seems to rock

By Rhiannon on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 04:06 pm:

No, but I read a review of it saying (like all other make-up reviews) it's good but not as good as their live show.

They're playing in Boston tomorrow, I think. A friend of mine is going, and he's never been to one of their shows before (neither have I, for that matter). I'll see what he thought of them.

By Patrick on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 04:11 pm:

YOU NEED TO GO.

I saw him with Nation of Ulysseus way back when, he (they) fucking rocked then, they still do now, only now they are better dressed.....

By Rhiannon on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 04:16 pm:

I can't. I have two papers to write that are actually due tomorrow but which I'm going to write tomorrow afternoon and all this weekend. (I actually planned to do one today, but I've done *nothing* all afternoon, and I still have to read my resources.....see how bad I am? This is how I get my thrills, apparently.)

Plus, Boston is like 7 hours away or something.

But next time they're home in DC, I'll try to swing down and catch them.

By Agatha on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 06:51 pm:

i like nation of ulysses. have you hear holy rollers? i think the make up are from olympia, but i'm not sure.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 06:58 pm:

No, I think the Make-Up are strictly DC kids. They're on Dischord and everything.

By Patrick on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 07:05 pm:

yep! they are, I got a chance to shoot the shit with them, they stayed at a friends house when they gigged in atlanta several years ago. They crashed with Ian when they visited DC as well

By Patrick on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 07:07 pm:

National of Ulysses are one of my favorite mod punk bands of all time......they fucking RAAWWWKED live...holy cow........very energetic, and now that i think of it, they were sharp dressers then too, zoot suits and chops....

By Agatha on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 07:13 pm:

hmmm, i wonder if there's a band called the makeup here or if they just play here an awful lot.

By Patrick on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 07:16 pm:

isn't K records in Olympia? How about Dub Narcotic?

By Agatha on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 08:01 pm:

yes indeed. i don't really care for dub narcotic, but i have a lot of friends that love them.

By Sarah on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 09:19 pm:

i just got a promo cd in the mail for Maktub, out of seattle. interesting stuff... different. i'm not crazy about it, but it might grow on me. you heard of them kel?

By Agatha on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 11:13 pm:

yes, they will probably grow on you. i kinda like them, they are very interesting live.

By Patrick on Friday, December 3, 1999 - 12:30 pm:

thats a new one.....for me... Maktub?

By Patrick on Friday, December 3, 1999 - 04:51 pm:

agatha, i now know why the make up may frequent olympia, after our conversation with RHi, i bought the new make up at lunch and it is on K records....i am very surprised at theri deviation from Dischord

i also got a a new Fred Wesley, it's called full circle, from be bop to hip hop...

its sorta of a retrospective of his work and the progress of soul, rb, jazz, blues etc......i should have checked the date, becasue it's a contemporary thing, and it's sounds just that, some talented old fucks makin music that doesn't quite pack the punch anymore......it has all kinds of guests including bootsy, but it's kinda tame,,, FUCK! swine steer me towards some of his older more hip-to shit from way back when (album titles anyway), i dunno, his older shit seemed to have the energy of youth,

By Rhiannon on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 01:52 pm:

Hey, Patrick, did you get the Make-up yet?

For some reason, I've become obsessed with the Beatles. It started just last night. I don't have any of their albums (I sold the ones i had years ago), so i've been trying to sate my desire by finding sound clips. That sucks, though. Tomorrow, when I'm done my classes, I'm going to run to the record store and pick me up something nice. I'm thinking of "Let It Be," since I really really like "Across the Universe" and have been trying unsuccessfully to sing it to completion.

By Patrick on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 02:09 pm:

scroll up dear, indeed i did, it's really good, very mature and refined, they get to the point on this record.
    my favorite beatles...Rubber Soul, The Blue Album, Srgt Peppers......Rubber Soul is the best though

By Rhiannon on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 02:15 pm:

Whoops, sorry.

"Rubber Soul" has "In My Life" on it, right? That's such a pretty song. Even their real early stuff was good...I love "If I Fell" and "Please Please Me" and "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" (which isn't that early, true). They're just so nice to listen to.

Would you also recommend the new Make-up?

By Patrick on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 02:54 pm:

yes and it also has Michelle, which is one of my favs......yello submarine is a good one too, the b side is all classical mixes, and the a side is rock...quite rockin as a matter of fact...at least the orginal version, which I got when it was repressed on vinyl......yes i would recommend the new make up.......indeed!!!!!

i scored a two volume recording of the beatles, it's their first recordings from Hamburg, these tapes were found in an abandon house or something like that, they were cleaned up as best as they could have been, i scored both volumes for $3.99 a piece......they are both gems

By J on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 03:12 pm:

One of my favorites is Across the Universe,but I like just about all there songs,I have all there albums,Most of John Lennons too,I can,t stand Yoko.

By Sarah on Tuesday, December 14, 1999 - 05:16 am:

Maktub played a gig very recently with Maceo Parker.

that's all I need to know. sold.

By cyst on Tuesday, December 14, 1999 - 10:01 am:

I like rubber soul and revolver.

I like the songs in which love goes wrong, like this one from rubber soul, an album I just got back:

I'm looking through you
    where did you go?
    I thought I knew you
    what did I know?

you don't look different
    but you have changed
    I'm looking through you
    you're not the same

your lips are moving
    I cannot hear
    your voice is soothing
    but the words aren't clear

you don't sound different
    I've learned the game
    I'm looking through you
    you're not the same

why, tell me why,
    did you not treat me right?
    love has a nasty habit
    of disappearing overnight

you're thinking of me
    the same old way
    you were above me
    but not today

the only difference
    is you're down there
    I'm looking through you
    and you're nowhere

why, tell me why,
    did you not treat me right?
    love has a nasty habit
    of disappearing overnight

I'm looking through you
    where did you go?
    I thought I knew you
    what did I know?

you don't look different
    but you have changed
    I'm looking through you
    you're not the same

baby, you've changed
    I'm looking through you...

By cyst on Tuesday, December 14, 1999 - 10:04 am:

jesus christ. my friend in kiev still has my revolver. fuck. I really need to hear "she said." or "sexy sadie," but he has that part of the white album too.

By cyst on Tuesday, December 14, 1999 - 10:21 am:

oh, I found it!

the day breaks
    your mind aches
    you find that all her words of kindness
    linger on when she no longer needs you

she wakes up
    she makes up
    she takes her time and doesn't feel she has to hurry
    she no longer needs you

and in her eyes you see nothing
    no sign of love behind the tears
    cried for no one
    a love that should have lasted years

she want her
    you need her
    and yet you don't believe her when she says
    her love is dead, you think she needs you

cried for no one

you stay home
    she goes out
    she says that long ago she knew someone
    but now he's gone, she doesn't need him

the day breaks
    your mind aches
    there will be times when all the things she said
    will fill your head, you won't forget her

cried for no one

By Patrick on Tuesday, December 14, 1999 - 11:44 am:

those are great tunes, they are now virtually spinning in my head despite mattress commercials and the click click of keyboards, thansk for that

By Sarah on Wednesday, December 15, 1999 - 03:42 pm:

Maktub's promoter keeps contacting me.

apparently they also played with Zap Mamma (hi martin) and they have the #1 soul song at mp3.com right now.

dang.

By mistaswine on Wednesday, December 15, 1999 - 04:37 pm:

why is maktub's promoter contacting you?

they've got a nice acid free form/brand new heavies-esque thing going on.

hard to believe they're from seattle.
    (since when does seattle have an acidjazz scene?)

black thought and ?uestlove do production on a couple tracks off the new zap mama joint.

i still haven't decided whether to see them at LIFE for y2k, or to go check out maceo at irving plaza.

i gotta get decisive soon or else i'll be spending new year's on a street corner with a bottle of boone's.

By Sarah on Wednesday, December 15, 1999 - 04:44 pm:

after the promoter sent me their CD, i offered to run Maktub as the New Groove of the Month feature at the music website i work for. the one i was telling you about last night. we're working on details to do an interview and maybe i'll get flown out to a show.

working for a music zine has some advantages.

By Rhiannon on Saturday, February 19, 2000 - 06:30 pm:

Patrick, what's the new Make-up called again? I looked for it today, but all that was there was "After Dark" and "Destination: Love" (and I was too chicken to go into the little store next door where the people are all mean and cooler-than-thou).

I got instead the new Morphine album, "The Night," and the Gunga Din's "Glitterati."

I haven't heard the Gunga Din yet, but I'm listening to the Morphine now. The first track, also called "The Night," is very beautiful and sad.

You can hear a clip of it here.

I must say, though, the album's not what I expected. Many of the songs are very...experimental, shall we say. Not your average Morphine songs. "Rope on Fire" is the best of these new-styled songs...it's got a Spanish feel to it...there's even an accoustic guitar on it. It's pretty and neat. The others I'm going to have to let grow on me.

By Rhiannon on Sunday, February 20, 2000 - 08:25 pm:

You're the night, Lilah
    A little girl lost in the woods
    You're a folk tale
    The unexplainable

You're a bedtime story
    The one that keeps the curtains closed
    And I hope you're waiting for me
    'Cause I can't make it on my own
    I can't make it on my own

It's too dark to see the landmarks
    And I don't want your good luck charms
    I hope you're waiting for me
    Across your carpet of stars

You're the night, Lilah
    You're everything that we can't see
    Lilah, you're the possibility

You're a bedtime story

Unknown, the unlit world of old
    You're the sounds I never heard before
    Off the map where the wild things grow
    Another world outside my door

Here I stand, I'm all alone
    Drive me down the pitch black road
    Lilah, you're my only home
    And I can't make it on my own

You're a bedtime story
    I can't make it on my own.

--M. Sandman

Poor man. This song is like "Candy" from "Cure for Pain"....reality gives it a sad twist and makes you cry when you hear it.

Please. Do yourselves a favor and get this album. It is so good. We have slow, sad songs like the one above...faster, swinging songs that make you want to dance like a stripper....weird, slow, sultry, scary songs...and songs that are just indescribable. Most of them take some time to get used to, but once you do, man...you're sold.

By Rhiannon on Sunday, February 20, 2000 - 08:37 pm:

Hear much better quality soundclips here.

By semillama on Monday, February 21, 2000 - 12:26 am:

sold me. I've been in the mood for something like that lately. I think I will pick it up when I go out to fetch the new Yo La Tengo disc.

By Rhiannon on Monday, February 21, 2000 - 09:20 am:

Yay!! Tell me what you think of it when you get it, ok?

By semillama on Monday, February 21, 2000 - 04:47 pm:

Will do. I'll probably get it when igo out to pick up my car.

By Rhiannon on Monday, February 21, 2000 - 06:08 pm:

Good luck on the car purchase.

And remember: please listen to the album several times before making any conclusions. I only liked 3 songs on the first listen.

By patrick on Tuesday, February 22, 2000 - 12:01 pm:

Rhiannon, it's called "Save Yourself"

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact