far too canadian

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: far too canadian
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Gee on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 11:58 pm:

I'm so content to stand in line
    wait and see, pass the time
    talk a streak, fall asleep
    wake up late, whine and weep
    I kiss the hand that slaps me senseless
    I'm so accepting, I am so defenseless
    I am far too canadian
    I am far too canadian

I pick the bones, of what's been done
    and I'll lick them clean with a cautious tounge
    in dim lit rooms I spill my guts
    I'm the revolution when the doors are shut
    I'd bite the hands that slap me senseless
    but my patience it is too relentless
    I am far too canadian
    I am far too canadian

(chorus)
    I am the face of my country
    expresionless and small
    weak at the knees, shaking badly
    can't straighten up at all
    I watch the spin of my country bend and break
    I'm in a sorry state

I scratch the walls to mark the days
    with my coup de (tete) I am locked away
    with Mother Jones, pots of tea
    the kitchen poster, anarchy
    I never march in demonstrations
    I hold my breath for arbitration
    I am far too canadian
    I am far too canadian

(chorusX2)

- by the usual people -

By L AND A on Tuesday, January 11, 2000 - 08:06 am:

OK- that makes us feel really stupid because for the MOST obscure reason in the world- we cannot stop singing- Elton John's 'Daniel' arrrrgggghhhhh is this the beginnig of the end.....quick.....ladida.....i dreamt i saw u walking up a hill side in the snow
    casting shadows on the winter sky
    as you stood there counting crows
    one for sorrow
    two for joy
    three for girls
    and four for boys
    five for silver
    six for gold
    seven for a secret never to be told
    there's a bird that nests inside you sleeping underneath your skin
    and when you open up your wings to speak i wish you'd let me in
    all your life is such a shame,shame, shame
    all your love is just a dream, dream, dream

there.... that's a little better- at least it's not elton john ay???hahaha

By J on Tuesday, January 11, 2000 - 09:03 am:

That,s one of my favorite Counting Crows songs,I got their new C.D.,this Christmas This Desert Life,it,s all good.

By Markus on Tuesday, January 11, 2000 - 09:46 am:

Gee - Who does that song?

By Slacker on Tuesday, January 11, 2000 - 10:10 am:

huh?

By Gee on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 01:44 am:

The same people who do ninty-nine percent of the songs I post here. Spirit of the West. It was written by band members John Mann and Geoffrey Kelly.

It's on their "Go Figure" album. GoBuyItGoBuyIt!

By L on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 10:35 am:

J-you dude!!!!! i havn't heard the new albumn yet but i'm thinking i'll buy it soon, i don't think it will ever beat 'August and everything after' b/c that has all the classics- mr jones, omaha, murder of one, raining in baltimore etc but it should still be good:]:]

By J on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 10:48 am:

Murder of One is one of my favorite songs ever,I guess cause I can relate so well.The new C.D. is good though, not a stinker on it.I saw them with The Wallflowers a couple of years ago,great concert.

By L on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 04:07 pm:

HMMMM- it would be cool to see them although i always think if you have a shitty time at a cioncert then it ruins future enjoyment- don't ya think???

By Markus on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 10:32 pm:

Alright, Gee, you almost convinced me to give them a shot. Celtic-tinged roots rock sounded like it had some promise. But I didn't know which album to try so I went to amazon and listened to some samples. Granted my laptop speakers are crap, but I was kinda disappointed with the few selections that were available. They've steadily morphed into a pop band. And the song I wanted to hear (above) wasn't available, apparently because Go Figure isn't released here and is only available as an import. So if you had to recommend one album which would it be? (Old Material sounded good, but it was hard to tell with my tinny speakers.)

By Gee on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 02:31 am:

You've made me so happy.

First of all, amazon.com's clips are all crapy. the sound quality is awful (trust me, I've heard them and the difference matters), and they always pick weird parts of the songs to play.

anyway, out of their 11 albums, I have nine of them. "Old Material" is one of the ones I just bought. I wouldn't have recomended it to someone because it's mostly folk, and my favorite stuff of theirs is when they're half-way between folk and rock. What clip did you hear from that album? The second half of the album is from a live show and "General Guinness" is really neat on that album, because right before the song (the end of the song before it, actually) you can hear the band leaving the stage and the crowd clapping and stomping their feet until they come back. That makes me smile like crazy everytime I hear it - that's exactly what's happened whenever I've seen them play.

"Save This House" has a few of their most popular songs on it (I have an mp3 of "Home For a Rest", their most popular song, if anyone wants to be happy. it's a drinking song and it rocks a whole bunch.), and "Faithlift" was their bestselling album (and I think, my favorite), so that must mean something.

I usually wouldn't recommend it, but if you want a nice mixture of their sounds, buy their newest album. it's a compilation. if you want mainly folk stuff, then buy "Labour Day" or "Save This House". or if you want, I can send you some tapes of them.

By J on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 12:04 pm:

I,ve never had a shitty time at a concert.

By semillama on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 07:54 pm:

The only shitty times i've had at concerts are the time that i was nearly set on fire and the time a big piece of sod landed in our bucket of KFC.

By Markus on Friday, January 14, 2000 - 02:37 am:

A tape would be cool; I'll reimburse you if there's a way to do it.

By L on Friday, January 14, 2000 - 09:16 am:

no nor have i but i guess it would ruin the music?? u heard of 'travis' over there yet?
    J- i'm taking it u'r a girl??

By J on Friday, January 14, 2000 - 09:45 am:

I,m a female,too old to be a girl,I take it you,re from the U.K.,ever hear the Longpigs?

By Gee on Saturday, January 15, 2000 - 02:52 am:

send me an e-mail with your address, Markus. I'll pick a couple of the songs I think are the best from each album and send it your way.

I think I need to redo the tapes I made for Moonunit. I've gotten a few new cd's since then and I want to slap them in there.

By L on Saturday, January 15, 2000 - 09:34 am:

I LOVE THE LONGPIGS- WELL SOME OF THEIR SHIT ANYWAY- SO U DON'T KNOW TRAVIS?

By J on Sunday, January 16, 2000 - 11:51 am:

Travis Crack?

By L on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 04:05 am:

travis- the band-

By Jinafishes on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 04:31 pm:

I love Home for a rest!!!! I just heard it a couple days ago and I love how it feels. My husband just made me a cd of mp3's of all my favorite songs, and added a few he didn't think I'd know:
    K's Choice- Not a addict
    Deftones- Be quiet and drive
    Tori Amos- Take to the sky
    Nin- Perfect Drug
    Beck- Sexx Laws
    Fatboy Slim- Praise you
    Dandy Warhols- Not if you were the last junky on earth
    Big Wreck- That song (I bet you know it Gee!)
    Marcy Playground- St. Joe on the schoolbus
    The living end- Prisoner of society
    Pavement- cut your hair
    Harvey Danger- Save it for later
    Longpigs- On and On
    Failure- Save the silence (or something)
    Hole- Malibu
    Spirit of the West- Home for rest
    The cure- Mintcar

It felt just like Christmas, I had this perma-smile. I really wanted to get the Longpigs cd too, but was way too afraid for fear that it would be the only good song. I hate that fear. It's this huge dissapointment you have to deal with, with a post-bought cd.

Spirit of the West, I think they came to Seattle once, a very very long time ago, husband has 2 cds of theirs, the one with If Venice is Sinking, and the other with Wishing Line. They did turn out rockish, I was hoping I could find more tunes that sounded like Home for a Rest. It tottally makes me want to look stupid and dance all around giddy-like. Some Canadian music is really good. It's like having a great secret if you're American. Bands no one else knows. Like the Watchmen, they're wonderful. Matthew Good Band is pretty good. 54-40, Odds, Gandharvas..etc etc. Great Big Sea is folkish some isn't it Gee?

By Gee on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 05:03 pm:

Yea, GBS is like "the one that made it" because everyone knows who they are. But it's the same type of music.

"And If Venice Is Sinking" is on "faithlift" - that's my favorite one. my favorite song of theirs and my favorite cd.

"Wishing Line" is on their "twoheaded" cd, and as much as I love my boys, that's probably their weakest cd ever.

Even though their music Did turn out more rock/pop than folk, I don't think that's such a bad thing. They went that way because they actually Wanted too, not because they were told to. they've always liked to experament with different sounds, and going from celtic, to folk, to pop, to rock was just a natural progression on their part.

By Jina on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 06:58 pm:

Which cd would you consider to be The Best?

By Jina on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 07:11 pm:

By the way Markus, if you wanted to get some good full length songs of Spirit of the West, I would look on Irc channels such as #mp3_alternative, #mp3friends... etc. There's also a search engine on Irc, send a dcc chat to Searchbot, and that should help.

By cyst on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 10:03 pm:

I'm sort of glad whitney houston got caught with pot. she seems like such a goody-two-shoes. I like her much better now. and I'm happy that middle america knows one of their faves, a prissy christian-type singer/actress, smokes weed. hurray!

jinafishes -

how do you like the harvey danger song?

the new album comes out in march or april, finally.

I like the colors in a picture I took of sean, the singer, in paris last summer:

http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/DownsizeDr/hallter/geranium.html

flowers good, shadows bad.

the owners of the geraniums showed up a minute later and yelled at their kid up in the window.

I loved picking geraniums when I was a kid too. so soft and velvety and moist and pretty.

By Gee on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 11:55 pm:

"Faithlift" is my favorite album. I don't know which one I would say is their Best.

I think the writing on "Weights & Measures" is the best. But the melodies on "Open Heart Symphony" are the best. The singing on "Go Figure" is the best. The energy on "Save This House" is the best, and the passion on "Faithlift" is the best.

great load of help That was. sigh.

I think I should look for this Harvey Danger thing. Will someone suggest an album?

By J on Tuesday, January 18, 2000 - 12:55 am:

Jinah.well you didn,t listen to me,Congrats,hope you like being married

By cyst on Tuesday, January 18, 2000 - 01:39 am:

they only have one album out so far, "where have all the merrymakers gone?"

you've heard the song. it's one of the like 10 songs I saw on mtv during the last decade. it goes something like:

I had visions, I was in them
    I was looking into the mirror
    to see a little bit clearer
    the rottenness and evil in me

fingertips have memories
    mine can't forget the curves of your body
    and when I feel a bit naughty
    I run it up the flagpole and see
    who salutes (but no one ever does)

I'm not sick but I'm not well
    and I'm so hot
    'cause I'm in hell

been around the world and seen that
    only stupid people are breeding
    the cretins cloning and feeding
    and I don't even own a tv

put me in the hospital for nerves
    and then they had to commit me
    you told them all I was crazy
    they cut off my legs
    now I'm an amputee, goddamn you

I want to publish zines
    and rage against machines
    I want to pierce my tongue
    it doesn't hurt, it feels fine
    the trivial sublime
    I'd like to turn off time
    you kill my mind

paranoia paranoia
    everybody's coming to get me
    just say you never met me
    they're running underground with the moles
    digging holes
    hear the voices in my head
    I swear to god it sounds like they're snoring
    but if you're bored then you're boring
    the agony and the irony, they're killing me

By agatha on Tuesday, January 18, 2000 - 02:13 am:

that's a really cute picture of sean.

By cyst on Tuesday, January 18, 2000 - 10:06 am:

By Patrick on Tuesday, January 18, 2000 - 12:15 pm:

great big sea? spirit of the west? (though not mentioned, i am reminded of...) beautiful south?

what the fuck?

i have never heard the two former mentioned groups, but if they are anything like you guys are describing, i am recalling the miserable coffee shop folk accoustic stuff that makes me want to put a gun to my head ..............you guys perplex me

it's funny that kinda music proliferates in a coffee shop, all the while people are getting edgy and jerky from the coffee, yet some schmuck is trying to lure and lull the crazed audience with sleepy folk music...

By agatha on Tuesday, January 18, 2000 - 01:55 pm:

i worked on christmas. it was the varsity. our manager moved over to the neptune after sean and i left. wow, that song is so accurate. it's so sad.

By J on Tuesday, January 18, 2000 - 02:06 pm:

That song Cyst,is the reason I bought the C.D.,it,s Flagpole Stitta....reminds me of my nervous breakdown.

By Gee on Wednesday, January 19, 2000 - 04:29 am:

I have never heard "folk accoustic stuff" in a coffee shop. Usually they just have the radio tuned to a normal, pop, station.

folk music isn't sleepy. folk music is music that tells a story. And not just a vauge story - a Begining, Middle, and Ending story. the melodies are sometimes slow (like any style of music) and sometimes fast (like any style of music).

either you're thinking of the wrong kind of music, or you just haven't been exposed to Good folk music. It's not all a bunch of hippies sitting around screaching about war.

By J on Wednesday, January 19, 2000 - 09:48 am:

Everyone has their own taste in music and just because you like something and someone else doesn,t,don,t let it get to you.What you like is what you like,what they like is what they like and that,s all.I like folk music,ever hear Bob Dylan sing Don,t think twice,it,s alright... I have just about every album Tom Rush ever made,Jackson Brown did a cover of his song These Days,I cried when he sang it in a concert.Neil Young..a God,too bad Mellissa didn,t pick him to be the father,it probably wouldn,t look any better than Davids,but may have some real talent.I,ve heard several mentions of how the Stones were great,am I the only one old enough to have heard Alvin Lee and Ten Years After?They rocked!!!

By J on Wednesday, January 19, 2000 - 09:49 am:

Everyone has their own taste in music and just
    because you like something and someone else
    doesn,t,don,t let it get to you.What you like is
    what you like,what they like is what they like and
    that,s all.I like folk music,ever hear Bob Dylan
    sing Don,t think twice,it,s alright... I have just
    about every album Tom Rush ever made,Jackson Brown
    did a cover of his song These Days,I cried when he
    sang it in a concert.Neil Young..a God,too bad
    Mellissa didn,t pick him to be the father,it
    probably wouldn,t look any better than Davids,but
    may have some real talent.I,ve heard several
    mentions of how the Stones were great,am I the
    only one old enough to have heard Alvin Lee and
    Ten Years After?They rocked!!!

By cyst on Wednesday, January 19, 2000 - 09:59 am:

I told him you liked the song, agatha, and he said, "yeah, she was there too. wait, how is it that you know her?"

"um. well, randomly on the internet."

By Jina on Wednesday, January 19, 2000 - 12:40 pm:

Yes J, I got married. It's hmm.. sensual too. Comfortable, I'm enjoying it. It's like I wanted it to be: tottally the same. Same scenario, I didn't want it to determine anything, I'm still going to laugh and joke with the same guy, I just want the same guy. I've been evolving with him for 4 years. What else can I say? It's my adventure. We went to the redwood forrest for the honeymoon, which was cool. I took a picture of a hitchiker on the side of the road, which I had always been wanting to do since I took this roadtrip going through Bannf, Alberta (sp?), there were like 20 hitchikers up there! Went through a lot of little towns. Made sweet love in a Victorian mansion, discussed a cool idea for a bumpersticker: a golden apple with Hail Eris! Next to the side of it, and had an all around good time. I got a really nice London Fog umbrella at the Lloyd center in Portland, but I never use it, the rain here is such a weird bitch.

I went to a Harvey Danger concert in ... September. I think he said the new album should be out in February, but things happen. he played a lot of the new stuff, it was great, but I wanted to hear the song Where have all the merrymakers gone? The lead singer is -really- tall. There was another great band there too called Peter Parker, I think they were releasing a new cd so harvey danger came to play. I'm moving to Olympia in June too, and I am so ready to get out of my art-deprived, population 3200, fun-what's that? town. How did you catch him in Paris Cyst?? I must be missing something here, but I love the geraniums on the ground, it really ties the picture together.

By Jina on Wednesday, January 19, 2000 - 12:45 pm:

Oh yeah, and I like the Harvey Danger song too.

By MapleLeaf on Wednesday, January 19, 2000 - 12:49 pm:

Banff, Alberta :)

By Patrick on Wednesday, January 19, 2000 - 01:23 pm:

well Gee, naturally I don't know the coffee shop you go to, maybe a starbucks or something like, in which i see what you mean. But here and everywhere else I have lived, the local coffee shops feature musicians, poets, art, readings and what not. In fact our weekly alternative has a whole section dedicated to activites at coffeeshops.

Sure I have been exposed to good folk music, and good folk music usually doesn't hit the coffee shop circuit. I mean it can, and there are always exceptions. And I certainly wouldn't want them to not play in coffee shops, it's just interesting to note the style of music that flocks around caffeinated people. I suppose alot of the time it's the noise factor of an amped band. Hell we played in a coffee shop in Greensboro, when I was in college. It was pretty hilarious. We were known around campus as a bunch of misfit druggies, (ironically we had better grades than most of the assholes labeling us that) anyway, we sonically shoved a foot up the ass of our peers by playing as loud as we could in this normally quiet coffeeshop. Since there was no carpet or finished ceiling, it was absolutely piercing, and it drew alot of attention from outside. People thought a new club had opened up.....the managers just glared at us when we left.......

By Gee on Wednesday, January 19, 2000 - 05:45 pm:

the only starbuck I care for is the one from "Battlestar Galactica".

By Jinafishes on Wednesday, January 19, 2000 - 07:45 pm:

I would feel so proud.. so content.. so happy if I were you Patrick. Fuck them all.

By Patrick on Wednesday, January 19, 2000 - 07:56 pm:

?

gosh, is that sarcasm?
    or a genuine comment about my coffeshop story?
    I can't tell. If so, sorry i had to ask.

Hey do we get a scanned object anytime soon? Remember that game. I promise i will give others a chance.

By cyst on Wednesday, January 19, 2000 - 08:51 pm:

jina - sorabjites are supposed to let me know when they come to portland. I could have showed you a better time than lloyd center.

I worked at the uw student newspaper with harvey danger. agatha worked with the singer, sean, at a movie theater in the u-district. the guitarist was my boss, I lived with the bassist. sean's still a good friend of mine. I'm seeing him this weekend.

sean's not that tall. just like 6'4. he's barely taller than I am.

I sort of lived in paris last summer, and sean happened to visit while I was there. right after I took that picture we saw "bonnie and clyde." the next day we got stoned and hung out and drank overpriced drinks at a sidewalk cafe and I took these photos with his brand-new advantix camera:

http://homepages.msn.com/DownsizeDr/hallter/parisbw.html

By Gee on Thursday, January 20, 2000 - 04:14 am:

I bid on your Harvey Danger at eBay. So far it's at $2.25 US, plus S&H.

By cyst on Thursday, January 20, 2000 - 08:17 pm:

last night I went to the movies. I saw "girl gang."

Girl Gang (1954)
    A lost female juvenile delinquent film has been unearthed and it it's something to behold! The hellcats in the title get off on marijuana and heroin, steal cars, assault boys and delve into other areas of sordidness. Joanne Arnold and Timothy Farrell star in this production from noted schlockmeister George Weiss ("Glen or Glenda").

then we stayed for part of "barb wire girls," a (spanish? french? german?) '70s porno movie about a lesbian sex prison. we left after the warden put down her copy of "au coeur du troiseme reich" and started fingering the cute blonde. well, ok, we left after the live "naked psycho nymphos" jumped up on the stage and started blowing fire around. we left after they did. out in the lobby the very short one with the huge fake tits told me not to leave, "you're so tall, you're my idol, I want to be you! don't leave! stay!"

"bye," I said.

By M on Thursday, January 20, 2000 - 11:03 pm:

By semillama on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 12:15 am:

Damn! I wish I lived near a decent city! I owuld have loved to have gone to that movie. I prbably would have left at the fire part, too, I have issues with that sort of thing.

By cyst on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 12:52 am:

next week I'm going there to see the owner/program director/ticket seller/projectionist's collection of racist, sexist old cartoons from the '30s and '40s.

last night he said that ted turner, who owns the rights to a lot of that shit, has been threatening him with legal action.

BAD BUGS BUNNY
    Dennis Nyback's famous collection of censored Warner Bros. cartoons (he toured Europe with it) is worth seeing, not only for its forbidden entertainment, but also for its historical relevance. Thanks to the overzealous PC police who don't understand that animation is an art form, censors have destroyed many beautifully crafted and scored animated shorts (Disney and Tex Avery included) for sexist, racist and/or violent content. Among the 12 shorts here are WB's mocking of Disney with the hip Harlem fairy-tale, Coal Black and De Sebben Dwarves (1943); the incredibly vicious Tokyo Jokio (1943); the touching and, in the end, feminist He Was Her Man (1936); and the jazzy Tin Pan Alley Cats (1943). You cannot rent this stuff or see it on television, so don't miss this rare opportunity.

By semillama on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 12:56 am:

Aaarrrrrggh....

(beats head in frustration against desk)

That's it, my next job must be somewhere near a major city.

but,now it is time for bed. G'nite.

By Markus on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 01:13 am:

I have a tape with 11 wartime Looney Tunes shorts on them. The stereotypes of the Germans and especially the Japanese are quite vicious. In other respects, they're pretty crude propaganda and not really amusing at all. They're historically interesting though.

By Czarina on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 02:58 am:

Were they depicted as "rat-like"?

By Gee on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 03:29 am:

what did George Weiss do for "Glen or Glenda"?

By JusMiceElf on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 09:11 am:

Yaknow, I was kinda disappointed with "Faithlift." I dunno, I guess it just wasn't what I was expecting at the time. I bought it because someone once posted a list of bands...If you like Boiled in Lead, you'll like these bands, and Spirit of the West was one of them. And they just didn't do it for me.

On the other hand, Great Big Sea are a lot of fun, although I like their most recent album less than the others. Other Canadian bands I'm fond of are The Paperboys (who need to put out a new album, dammit), and Captain Tractor, who are crude and fun.

By Nate on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 10:21 am:

i don' know what you all is talking about, but i just wanted to mention that after all this time i have finally realized what the name "jusMiceElf" really means or anyway what is slightly homophonic to and anyway i thought i would mention this and then i will just go away thank you.

By Patrick on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 12:14 pm:

hey sem, there is a video company i was exposed to working for the video releasing company a few years ago

http://www.somethingweird.com/

In the store we had a lot of their videos and they specialize in the occult, stag, camp, exploitation, horror, splatter films.......a lot of the videos are rather cheap, $10 or so.

You may find them at the more hip-to video stores.....

I recommend Bucky Beaver and Grandpa's Stag collection. that shit is hilarious, I had never seen porn from the 20's and 30s until i saw this stuff....man...!!!!!!!!!!

By J on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 03:51 pm:

I use to call my brother Bucky Beaver,it,d make him cry,

By semillama on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 06:10 pm:

Holy SHIT!!! They Have 2000 Maniacs!!! My holy quest is over!

Thanks, Patrick!

By cyst on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 07:15 pm:

semillama - 2,000 maniacs played at that theater here on monday. the south's gonna rise agin.

I think if I sent you their schedule, you'd find a need to visit all your friends out here.

the web site doesn't work, though. too bad.

By cyst on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 07:17 pm:

I need "faster, pussycat! kill! kill!" to come out on dvd. that is so necessary.

By Patrick on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 07:29 pm:

why does it have to be on dvd?

By cyst on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 08:33 pm:

I have no vcr. and I have no tv.

By Jina on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 09:14 pm:

Justmiceself,
    Could I suggest a really good band you might not know? If you didn't like SOTW, you'd like these guys. Gandharvas' A Soap buble and Inertia. They're good and weird and uhmm.. good rhythm, good lyrics..oddly twisted in a good way..

would you like to climb up to the highest building/up there's high enough that we become diginity/and up there's high enough where we can watch the world turning/up there's high enough that we can spit on everything!/Oh maybe we'll find a mono-lith!/and maybe we won't find something/let's go dallying/and maybe we'll find a giant home!/and maybe we won't find anything at all/But it's surley worth a try.

Trust me, it's good, if you could go on irc and look them up, it's called dallying. I'd at least get an mp3 first before even thinking about buying the cd, weren't you a little frightened? I'm a poor college student anyways.. But I'm moving to Olympia! And that's what matters.

I remember the first time I saw Harvey Danger was on Valentine's day. It was The Most fucking depressive thing I'd ever been too. All couples, my friend, and I. But I bought their cd there cause it was $19 at Tower Records in Seattle. I don't know why he seemed tall. My husband's 6'5", but he seemed taller.

I'm sorry I didn't contact you Cyst, I would have loved to have seen Portland for what it really was; I got so frustrated driving, so very very frustrated... I'm sure I'll be down there again sometime, it's only an hour and half drive, and I have a friend who lives in West Linn too.

And no Patrick, that comment about the coffeeshop- I was really serious, I would have felt that way, I'm sorry if there was an overtone of sarcasm. I'll have to scan something sometime too, it's been a while, and I don't work there anymore. But I do work in the Art Dept. now at college. Kind of glad, I'm so ashamed of what I've done at the other job place. One time I scanned a picture of my hand giving the bird and the boss just happened to want to see how something was going, and I had netscape open and the image underneath, in Photoshop which is where he wanted to see it... sigh. I just mumbled a nervous laugh and showed him the proper photo. I had this photo of Swine too that I was going to manipulate for Margaret too (which I would still love to play with, if I had the image) multiple pictures of my scanned face, and other miscellania that just didn't belong. All my links on netscape either had to do with sketched anime drawing links or conspiracies. I'm thinking about joining the Revolutionaries party, but using my email at disinfo to feed my curiousity.

By now i feel funky on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 10:34 pm:

(larry graham's classic bass line)

lookin' at the devil, grinnin' at his gun
    fingers start shakin', i begin to run

bullets start chasin', i begin to stop
    we begin to wrestle i was on top

i want to thank you falletinme be mice elf agin
    i wanna thank you falletinme be mice elf agin

stiff all in the collar, fluffy in the face
    chit chat chatter tryin', i begin to run

want to thank you for the party, i could never stay
    many things is on my mind, words in the way

want to thank you falletinme be mice elf agin
    thank you falletinme be mice elf agin

dance to the music, all night long
    everyday people sing a simple song

mama's so happy, mama start to cry
    papa still singin', you can make it if you try

flamin' eyos of people fear, burnin' into you
    many men missin' much, hatin' what they do

youth and truth are makin' love
    dig it for a starter
    dyin' young is hard to take
    sellin' out is harder

By Gee on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 03:31 pm:

Elf, where did you find a Paperboys' album? I've been looking for them for awhile now. Geoffrey Kelly (from sotw) produced one of their albums and played with them when they went on tour. if he likes them, I'll like them.

and yes, Captain Tractor rocks. If SOTW ever played with the Captain I'd be in heaven.

ps..."faithlift" is not a celtic/folksy album. try "Save This House".

By JusMiceElf on Sunday, January 23, 2000 - 06:21 pm:

Gee, I bought the Paperboys CD at a show. First time I saw them, they opened for the Drovers, who used to be good, back around '92 (that's where this name came from, btw...drovers put out an EP titled Kill Mice Elf in '94). Anyone see Blink? That was when the Drovers were still good. After that they went too far into the groove side of things. But damn, I saw a couple of shows, and there were only a handful of people there, where they truly rocked out.

Paperboys on the other hand were great. That show was late, after I got off work, so it was near ten thirty when I got there, and the Paperboys started up with Pound a Week Rise, about a miner's strike in England, and I was standing outside the Iron Horse, debating whether to go in, and just started dancing right on the sidewalk.

Next time I saw the Paperboys, it was a double bill with Tempest, whom I was prepared not to like, but they put on a great live show, really tight. They did one song, "You Jacobites by Name," which is an old English protest song, which I later found out the tune was recycled from an even older "You Noble Diggers All," which Chumbawumba recorded.

And I need to get more Captain Tractor albums. I only have the one with London Calling and Up the Hill on it.

Any of you all listen to Pressgang? Now there's a band!

By Gee on Sunday, January 23, 2000 - 07:22 pm:

that was the first CT album I bought, too. You should try "Bought the Farm". They do a cover of "If I Were A Rich Man" that I think is so freaking neat. I don't think you'd like their newest album, it's pretty poppy.

what type of music is pressgang?

By JusMiceElf on Sunday, January 23, 2000 - 10:17 pm:

Pressgang are an English roots band....not sure entirely who to compare them to. They do this great version of "The Cutty Wren" on their album Fire. Loud, raucous, and lots of fun.

By semillama on Monday, January 24, 2000 - 01:33 pm:

I've seen the Drovers a couple times and hung out with them. I had lunch with one of them, but can't remember his name, except that he was certain microwaves gave you cancer. A weird bunch, very good musicians. They were recording in my friend bernie's studio, he gave them a good deal and let them keep the entire take at the door when they played, but then they screwed him on paying for studio time later. I guess they turned out to be kind of shady. Anyway, they never played up in the UP again.

By JusMiceElf on Monday, January 24, 2000 - 02:15 pm:

I got to hang with a couple of them with a couple of them when they played in Port Chester a few years back. Not too hard when you e of seven or eight people in the bar. Years later when they played in Northapmton, the fiddle player, Seah, seemed a bit embarassed when I toim where the last times I'd seen the band were. "Well, yes...we haven't toured thisa area for a while, because we were getting low turnouts."

By semillama on Monday, January 24, 2000 - 04:11 pm:

To tell the truth, they seemed to have rather high opinions of themselves. Music was still pretty good, though. My friend gave me both of her Drovers t-shirts, which I like because of the art. Plus one of them is a long sleeve, which I nver buy because they're too expensive.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact