i only miss her when i think of her.................. and i think of her all the time

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: i only miss her when i think of her.................. and i think of her all the time
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Croonaire on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 06:23 pm:

"I only miss her....
    when I think of her...
    and I think of her.....
    all the time.....
    something something, would be sublime.....
    somewhere out in space, I hang suspended..
    and still I know........"

Can someone please tell me who sings this? It's the Sinatra/Bennett genre, but I don't think it's by either of those guys. If you can tell me who composed it, so much the better.

By Gee on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 03:22 pm:

Sung by Tony Bennett and Buddy Greco (alternatly). Written by Sammy Cahn and James Van Huesen.

next time: http://www.songfile.com/

By N.b. on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 10:34 pm:

what a chinchy setup they've got there at that songs place. yes, you can get to a place where you can do a full text search of the lyrics. if you find one that's viewable, you have to agree to some high-risk doomaflatchit to access your whatchamadoodle clipboard. Then it flashes the lyrics at you, 10 seconds a page, no cut/paste possible. So if you want to RETAIN those lyrics, you gotta write them down real fast by hand. Wish i still remembered my shorthand... or you could read them into a tape recorder and copy them out later...

it did let me look the second time. without doing the approval thing which means it and/or my computer retained something, something that verified me as a person that had been there before. i'm not pushing my luck until i'm really ready to grab a lyric. who knows, maybe there's a limit.

the song i went after, was the one with the line that goes "can the ocean". that was kind of a joke between my college boyfriend and me. he used to keep his radio tuned to the mor station, and they used to play perry como singing that song at least once a day. He would just sing those 3 words, at odd times for no reason... we didn't know any of the other lyrics or the title even. just singing those 3 words with the recognizable tune was an accomplishment for him, and made me think he probably wasn't tone deaf after all like he made out he was... i think his difficulty with melody probably stemmed from growing up somewhere where the music wasn't based on standard western harmony, whatever that is. when he sang turkish songs it always sounded off key but he was probably doing them right.

Anyway, the title is "It's Impossible," which I already knew, having sussed it out before, and having deemed it was appropriate in an ironic kind of way. the title appears on an Elvis album, which surprised me, but it may not be the same song. if it is, it's very late Elvis to be sure. i'm not sure i could take Elvis doing that song. at least not sober.

i deliberately went back and used and/or up there in the second paragraph, but wryly. people who use and/or in conversation, which this is, although one-sided at the moment, were always thought by me to be affected, but in a funny way. i had a professor in college who used and/or constantly. he taught acting and was a really nice guy. i guess finding himself in an academic environment he decided he needed to speak with some precision.

wonder what it would be like if the capacity to edit these messages wasn't there. if it just got spilled however which way it came out. no cut and paste either. a lot less verbiage might get out there, and what made it through might not be so pretty. however

"Can the ocean keep from rushing to the shore?
    It's impossible.
    If I held you, could I ever want for more?
    It's just impossible.
    And tomorrow, if you asked me for the world
    somehow I'd get it.
    I would give my very soul and not regret it.
    For to live without your love is just impossible."

By Markus on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 11:07 pm:

I thought that was Nat King Cole.

By Rhiannon on Sunday, January 23, 2000 - 01:21 am:

Okay, now I've got a question for you all.

I'm looking for a song. All I know is that it has a line in it that is something like "on a midnight train" or "on a nighttime train." It's just a man and his guitar...in the folk vein. The man sings in a very slow, monotone voice, and it is a very slow song. It is also the most depressing song I've ever heard, though it is not in a minor key. Another thing I know is that it was written in 1991 or earlier. That's all I know. I've been looking for it for nearly 9 years with many false alarms. I actually got turned onto Bill Morrissey this way, because I thought he sang it.

Has anybody got the slightest idea what I could be talking about? If the information you provide leads me to the right song, your reward would be my ardent and undying devotion.

By N.b. on Sunday, January 23, 2000 - 01:28 am:

sorry can't help you. could you come up with a few more words?

while we're asking for the moon, if anyone know where i can get my hands on the original Chuck Wagon Gang album, the one they used to sell on the Mull's Singing Convention program, that has "Angels Rock Me To Sleep (in a Cradle of Love) without the updated instrumental arrangement, please let me know

By droopy on Sunday, January 23, 2000 - 01:40 am:

rhiannon - sounds like it might be doc watson - "riding that midnight train." you might be able to find it at amazon.

By Rhiannon on Sunday, January 23, 2000 - 12:28 pm:

That wasn't it. But thanks for the tip anyway, Droopy.

Sorry, Nelly, that's all I remember. I'm pretty sure it was "on a midnight train" in the refrain. The other lyrics might have been talking about empty train stations and black windows, but that's not very helpful. Also, I could have been just imagining that.

The one good thing about this is that it's nice to always be looking for something. I used to be on a quest for a song that went something like "come back to the trees," and then when I found it (it's a Happy Rhodes song), I was very disappointed and realized that wanting it was better than having it.

By droopy on Sunday, January 23, 2000 - 01:14 pm:

it occurs to me now - sober - that it wouldn't have been doc watson. just heard a guy named greg brown on the radio that sounds like the guy you described.

i once heard a song on the radio late at night called "eros hotel." it was on the bbc overnight. i was half asleep when i heard it. for 2 weeks afterwords i searched everywhere for it, from word searches to going to a guy named worthy slutz (really) to see if he could find it, to finally writing the radio show in london where i heard it. they sent me the playlist. then it took me forever to track down a place on the internet where i could buy the album as an import for $33. i bought it and was happy with it.

1 weeks later it shows up at amazon for $15.

By Rhiannon on Sunday, January 23, 2000 - 01:35 pm:

You mean the Georgie Fame song? Now Amazon has it for $12.99. But as a consolation, a friend of mine once paid $90 for a book on eBay and not a week later someone offered it to him for free.

It wasn't Greg Brown, either. Though I like his voice. The guy I'm thinking of, whoever he is, has a voice not unlike Georgie Fame's: very simple and unadorned. And he actually sounds clinically depressed in the song...he's very quiet and monotone and totally unexpressive.

I heard the song around 1990 or 1991 on WXPN, which is the U of Penn radio station. I had taped it, listened to it for a while, and then I lost the tape. WXPN has playlists on-line, but not going back that far. It's a shame, because I remember who the DJ was when it was played but not the name of the song or the singer.

By droop on Sunday, January 23, 2000 - 02:28 pm:

yeah - georgie fame. when i heard it it had only just come out in europe. then it first showed up on amazon as an import. i just had no patience.

the last possible suggestion i could make is a guy named guy clark who has a song called "desperadoes waiting for a train". i know there's a sound file at amazon, and i'd check it myself if my speakers weren't busted.

By semillama on Sunday, January 23, 2000 - 02:39 pm:

Is it Jack Logan?

By semillama on Sunday, January 23, 2000 - 03:03 pm:

How about this:

Midnight Train by Sam Neely

I can ride that train, anywhere.

Somewhere down the line, I don't care.

I'm leaving here, and I ain't looking back,

This time I'm gone babe, and that's a fact.

Just watch my flame I'm, on that midnight train.

I'm a nervous wreck, here I go.

I hear the whistle, everybody get on board.

Well I don't know, if it's me or you,

I just know, that we are through.

Just watch my flame I'm, on that midnight train.

Ooh, ooh, midnight train. Ooh, ooh, midnight train.

Well I don't know, where I might go,

But you can bet, It's down the road.

Just watch my flame, I'm on that midnight train.

Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, I'm on that midnight train.

Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, I'm on that midnight train.

Here I go.

Also there's a tune by a folksinger called Mark Erelli called "Midnight Train"

By Rhiannon on Sunday, January 23, 2000 - 04:23 pm:

Ack. No, I'm so sorry! Now, if freaking Amazon had provided me with a soundclip of Mark Erelli's Midnight Train, I would have been able to tell you for certain, but from the other clips it sounds like his voice is too high to be the guy I'm thinking of. But the song is definitely in Erelli's vein. And it's not the Sam Neely, Jack Logan, or Guy Clark.

I just spent the last 2 hours (good thing it's a Sunday) searching on Amazon for any song with the word "train" in the title. 5000+ songs came up, I looked through about 1500 of the titles, and then the thought occurred to me that the word "train" might not even *be* in the title, in which case, it's utterly hopeless and I will never, ever hear the song. Ever. Unless when I die, the guy is up in heaven and he plays it for me himself. Other than that, I think it's a lost cause.

But the two of you get lots of points with me for trying to help, bless your hearts.

By L on Tuesday, January 25, 2000 - 03:05 pm:

SLOW MIDNIGHT TRAIN BY JAMES VETNER- JUST HIM AND HIS GUITAR- VVVVVV DEPRESSING- COULD BE IT???????

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact