Fields of Gold

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: Fields of Gold
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Dougie on Thursday, January 27, 2000 - 02:55 pm:

Quite a haunting tune actually. Heard the muzak version while I was on hold on the phone. It's a very simple tune, uses all the 7 notes of a major scale, all in the same octave. But it just runs incessantly over and over in my head, won't stop. And I don't even know the words to it so I can't sing it in my head, just the tune that keeps going round and round and round and round. Damn. Make it stop. Please.

By Margret on Thursday, January 27, 2000 - 03:22 pm:

*Fields Of Gold
    You'll remember me when the west wind moves
    Upon the fields of barley
    You'll forget the sun in his jealous sky as we walk in fields of gold
    So she took her love
    For to gaze awhile
    Upon the fields of Barley
    In his arms she fell as her hair came down
    Among the fields of gold
    Will you stay with me will you be my love
    Among the fields of barley
    We'll forget the sun in his jealous sky
    As we lie in fields of gold
    See the west wind move like a lover so
    Upon the fields of Barley
    Feel her body rise when you kiss her mouth
    Among the fields of gold
    I never made promises lightly
    And there have been some that I've broken
    But I swear in the days still left
    We'll walk in fields of gold
    We'll walk in fields of gold
    Many years have passed since those summer days
    Among the fields of barley
    See the children run as the sun goes down
    Among the fields of gold
    You'll remember me when the west wind moves
    Upon the fields of barley
    You can tell the sun in his jealous sky
    When we walked in fields of gold
    When we walked in fields of gold
    When we walked in fields of gold* -- Sting

and now you have some lyrics, Dougie, spend the next couple hours parsing them in your head.

By Dougie on Thursday, January 27, 2000 - 04:40 pm:

Thanks Margaret. That helps ease the pain, gets me on my feet again.

By moonit on Friday, January 28, 2000 - 02:50 am:

I used to love that song

By Dougie on Wednesday, February 2, 2000 - 07:14 pm:

fields of barley, huh? I always thought it was some scottish moor or some irish place: "fields of balaigh" or something. Amazing how when you see the lyrics while listening to a tune, it all falls into place. Actually went out and bought 10 Summoner's Tales. Had to fight fire with fire on this one.

By Margret on Thursday, February 3, 2000 - 09:55 am:

Dougie, Barley is THE fundamental grain.
    You can eat it, you can drink it, you can feed it to your kine.
    Thank you.

By Dougie on Thursday, February 3, 2000 - 04:31 pm:

Thanks for the lecture on barley, Margret.

By Margret on Thursday, February 3, 2000 - 05:38 pm:

Not quite a lecture, more of a public service announcement.
    I used to eat a lot of barley with Bragg's liquid aminos when I was a vegetarian, but I'm over that.
    You're still made about the enculez thing, aren't you?
    BTW, there are people who've been on these boards a lot longer than you have who still haven't picked up on the spelling of my name. Thanks for noticing.

By Patrick on Thursday, February 3, 2000 - 06:07 pm:

thats was one of the first things you whipped me in the ass about

By Dougie on Thursday, February 3, 2000 - 06:32 pm:

Yeah, was pissed off at the enculer thing when I posted my previous message. I have relatives on either side of the family named Margret and Margaret. That's why I noticed the spelling. I always liked that name, and if I ever have a daughter, will name her Mary Margaret. Will call her Maggie for short.

By Margret on Thursday, February 3, 2000 - 06:37 pm:

Cameron calls me Maggie.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, February 3, 2000 - 06:58 pm:

At least your name is spelled phonetically. My aunt has you beat. Her name is Margarette, no accent on the last syllable. No one ever gets that right. Which is why she goes by Maggie, too.

By Dougie on Thursday, February 3, 2000 - 07:14 pm:

Actually, my relatives pronounce them as they're spelled. One with 2 syllables, the other 3. I won't even touch on where your aunt's name is from or how it would be pronounced given its spelling.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, February 3, 2000 - 09:55 pm:

It's pronounced like Margaret. It comes from my grandmother's head. She wasn't all there, if you know what I mean. Everyone's name is kind of screwy in that family (e.g. my aunt Anne Maria Millicent ------- )

By semillama on Friday, February 4, 2000 - 01:20 am:

My grandparents' real first names were Nashville and Zettie. And Nashville was named after his uncle, so it predates any obseesion with country music my great-grandfather Delbert may have had.

Fortuamtely, I was not named after anyone in my family.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact