Failure

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: Failure
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Kymical on Wednesday, June 7, 2000 - 03:38 am:

by the swans.
    probably the only song i have enjoyed everytime i hear it (however inoften that may be.)
    it always just pops up from someone's cd collection. this time my friend bonnie had it in her car. she bought the tape from goodwill for 3 dollars. quite a snag. but i think the only thing that makes me feel weird is that everytime i find this album and someone has it, they don't like listening to it.

i revel in my depression personally. someone shoot me.

By Jay on Wednesday, June 7, 2000 - 07:54 am:

I've never heard of the swans. that makes me lame right? i love it when someone asks you if you've seen a movie or heard of a band or song and you say "NO" and they freak like your some kind of mutant for not seeing "Battlefield earth" or some shit. I've got one friend who does it all the time. he's like "dude, you haven't heard that?" when i say no, i haven't heard the new pearl jam song. I have heard of the frogs. where's jerry lewis, when you need the man?
    p.s-goodwill rules. i don't think i paid more than 10 dollars for any piece of clothing i own. oh no wait, thats a lie. sorry. shoot me.

By semillama on Wednesday, June 7, 2000 - 08:48 am:

Bang!

Somewhere on these boards, there's a link to a sound file of "Failure" that Rhiannon posted, after I was asking about that song, and if it was the Swans who did it, and if the story I heard about it was true.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, June 7, 2000 - 09:08 am:

I posted "Failure"? I don't remember that. Is that off of "The Great Annhilator"? That's the only Swans album I have.

I like Failure, the band. Especially their "Fantastic Planet" album. Great songs on there.

I've finally discovered the joys of Napster. Music that I've searched for months for to no avail is now at my fingertips. This is brilliant. Live, not-on-any-album Slint songs? I'm there! And I get to hear Danzig songs without having to go through the shame of buying the CDs. Now if only my modem were faster.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, June 7, 2000 - 09:12 am:

Hey, Kym, I'm wondering if you've ever heard of a band called Gallon Drunk. Yes/no?

By Mavis on Wednesday, June 7, 2000 - 12:47 pm:

my favorite concert moment ever was seeing the swans do failure at st andrew's hall in detroit in 93 (oh god i'm feeling old!).

i forget which album it's on though...

By semillama on Wednesday, June 7, 2000 - 01:11 pm:

It's not on money or cop or any of those.

They remind me of a stripped down Godflesh, like if you took out 3/4 of the music from a Godflesh song, they'd sound somewhat like the Swans do on "Cop".

Kym, you should check out a Godflesh tune called "Flowers" off of Merciless, if you are feeling in empathy with the Swans' "Failure".

By patrick on Wednesday, June 7, 2000 - 01:13 pm:

I would like to take this moment to express my disatisfaction with Goodwill and their typically higher prices than most other thrift shops.

By semillama on Wednesday, June 7, 2000 - 01:21 pm:

By dave on Wednesday, June 7, 2000 - 03:40 pm:

that's from back when i was friendly.

By mistaswine on Wednesday, June 7, 2000 - 03:51 pm:

"cheap-assed maggie mead wanna-be bitch!"

i gotta find some anthropologists to hang out with so i can say that more often.

By semillama on Wednesday, June 7, 2000 - 05:10 pm:

Come on down to New Orleans next spring for the Society for American Archaeology conference. I'm sure we'd find some appropriate subjects between the two of us.

By Mavis on Wednesday, June 7, 2000 - 06:59 pm:

patrick- i agree with you on the goodwill thing, their prices are really high and inconsistent as well.
    BUT, they educate, train and employ people with disabilities--something most employers wouldn't bother with-
    and give you tax receipts for every purchase and donation,
    so at least they do something positive with the money, eh?

By droopy on Wednesday, June 7, 2000 - 08:06 pm:

goodwill will give you a week of unnecessary "vocational testing" and then get you a job as a phone solicitor or making charm bracelets.

i think all the disabled people should be removed prom this country and set up in a colony. the u.s. must have some island in the pacific somewhere that is doing nothing better than being the home of an indigenous population - the handicapped can all be sent there and supported by the government, charitable foundations, and viewers like you.

By dave on Wednesday, June 7, 2000 - 08:53 pm:

quick! somebody disable me!

By droopy on Thursday, June 8, 2000 - 12:28 am:

actually, i change my mind. large numbers of handicapped people all in the same place are just annoying. trust me.

unless it's a small group of the really shiftless, indolent ones who have access to alcohol.
    now that's a party.

but i will go to a pacific island with you, dave - able bodied. we'll arrive with nothing but a dune buggy and a lifetime supply of rum and live off coconuts, shellfish, and island girls.

By dave. on Thursday, June 8, 2000 - 12:49 am:

we should just take over molokai. kick out the lepers and move in.

By droopy on Thursday, June 8, 2000 - 01:46 am:

leper colonies are the best place to get a piece of ass.

By on Thursday, June 8, 2000 - 07:02 am:

yeah droop, i want to see you and dave get a piece of ass in a leper colony, or maybe just an asshole, if there is one left

By droopy on Thursday, June 8, 2000 - 10:51 am:

i got a piece of ass on molokai, once. i keep it in the freezer.

sign some kind of name when you post so you don't show up on the list as the previous poster.

and call me mr. droopy, you anonymous ass.

By patrick on Thursday, June 8, 2000 - 11:54 am:

can we "normal" (herafter referred to as "normies") folk visit this proposed island?

Goodwill kinda creeps me like Scientology......

i love the enlarged dopey pictures of Goodwilled people they have on the back walls in Goodwill stores

By Czarina on Thursday, June 8, 2000 - 12:11 pm:

droopy,I'll go with you,we can live out the rest of our lives in paradise,we'll make our own alcohal,maybe coherce the natives into supplying
    our shellfish and coconuts by enticing them with brite,shiny poke-mon type trinkets.We'll have to be careful that they don't trick us and send us to the leper colony here in Lousiana----this plan definitely requires paradise of the south pacific genre'.

By droopy on Thursday, June 8, 2000 - 02:30 pm:

coconut rum

1 large coconut
    brown sugar

slice off the eyes of the coconut and drain out the milk. fill with brown sugar and seal very tightly. allow the sugar in the coconut to ferment in a cool, dark place for several months. when ready, you will be able to smell and taste a very delicate, coconut-scented rum. serve pieces of coconut meat on the side.

i'm glad to see someone has been doing their affirmations.
    "i am patrick, and i AM normal."
    you just keep believing that.

oh man, p-funk on the radio.

you got a real type of thing goin' down gettin' down, there's a whole lot of rhythm going 'round.

'scuse me whilst i turn this motherfucker out.

By mistaswine on Thursday, June 8, 2000 - 02:46 pm:

the mothership is wheelchair accessible.

send me your address and i'll mail you enough live shows on disc to keep you nodded for life.

By patrick on Thursday, June 8, 2000 - 04:09 pm:

does the mothership making those beeping noises when in reverse?

I am patrick i AM normal

By Cat on Thursday, June 8, 2000 - 09:49 pm:

I think I already live on the "Island of the Doomed"...it's called Australia.

Nothing has been the same since the Olympic Torch arrived.

Normal people are running around with cigarette lighters held high.

Soon they'll make the non-Olympic supporters wear a yellow star.

By Cat on Thursday, June 8, 2000 - 09:51 pm:

See, now I'm doing it! I put a capital "T" on torch. It's just an overgrown candle for freaks sake.

I don't know where Molakai is, but I want to move there. I have my own grass skirt and sarong, if that's an entry requirement.

By dave. on Thursday, June 8, 2000 - 10:12 pm:

By Cat on Thursday, June 8, 2000 - 10:22 pm:

Thank you Dave...

"The water temperature at Molokai's beaches varies from a high of 80 degrees F. (26.7 C) in the summer, to 77 degrees (25.0 C) in the winter".

I think I'm pretty convinced.

I would be prepared to break a leg, if I am not considered handicapped enough because of my convict ancestry.

By J on Saturday, June 10, 2000 - 10:44 am:

How quickly they forget,Czarina,remember? Costa Rica? The "pool"boy?

By Dougie on Wednesday, June 14, 2000 - 07:26 pm:

Swans are awesome

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact