Can *you* help? Oh, I think you can!

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: Can *you* help? Oh, I think you can!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Mama short-legs spider on Thursday, July 27, 2000 - 12:16 am:

I'm compiling a list of "unrequited love" songs.

I've just started. The three on the list so far are:

Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me"
    Roy Orbison's "Crying"
    Patsy Cline's "Sweet Dreams of You"

I can't think of any more right now (maybe because I have Radiohead's "Bulletproof...I Wish I Was" on repeat and I refuse to take it off).

So, can you think of any? They have to be blatantly about unrequited love, and they have to be sung from the one in love's point of view.

No songs about "nobody loves me," or "you love me but I don't love you," or "nobody loves anybody," or "I'm really sad now for non-love or unspecified reasons." And nothing creepy like the Police's "Every Breath You Take."

Drinkin' 'n' cryin' music...you know what I'm saying? Give me your crying songs.

By Kymical on Thursday, July 27, 2000 - 01:52 am:

hmmm...well this is indeed a challenge. like there are songs that make me sad when i am in the "unrequinted" state of mind. like Placebo's everyme and every you.
    "sucker love i always find someone to bruise and leave behind." "all alone in space and time, there's nothing here, but what's hers mine."

bulletproof has been my song of choice as well. Momus, ice king, but it is about a guy who is being cold so a girl will like him, but he is really a tender guy.

oh, this is harder than i thought...i will be thinking about this for a while. goody!

By Jay on Thursday, July 27, 2000 - 08:34 am:

Radiohead. ahhhhh.
    "Nothing compares 2 U" sinead o'connor. real tear jerker.
    "It ain't over till it's over" lenny kravitz.
    "second hand news" fleetwood mac
    "up the junction" squeeze
    "I'm so tired" beatles.
    "cold shot" stevie ray vaughn
    "lovin' touchin squeezin'" journey

By Willy Nilly on Thursday, July 27, 2000 - 11:06 am:

I've got a song... but it's not a tear-jerker. It's funny! Here are the lyrics...

Can I take you to the movies?
    I'll buy you pop-corn & candy
    They will make you fat and ugly

CHORUS
    So no other boy will look your way
    and you'll be mine, all mine every single day
    My little Butterball wouldn't go anywhere without her man
    take her to the bar/beach she's ignored
    And if she weren't so goddamn pretty, she'd be mine

Can I fuck you on the red eye?
    Travelling always with her best guy
    I'll make all the other boys cry

CHORUS

If I weren't quite so boring in bed
    Or if I made more money at my job
    If I played in a cooler band than this
    She'd be mine.

The band is called flashlight (www.flashlightonline.com) and they are a lot of fun.

How about Janine by David Bowie?
    Hello I Love You by the Doors...
    Mansion on the Hill by Hank Williams Sr.
    Cruel Cruel Heart by H W Sr.
    Why don't you love me like you used to do?
    Heck, just about any Hank Williams Sr. song...
    Prove My Love by the Violent Femmes
    Nightmare Hippie Girl by Beck (sort of)

Not all of these are sad, though. Hope this helps!

By Spider on Thursday, July 27, 2000 - 01:02 pm:

Well, dear, the point is that they're supposed to be sad! For pete's sake, I thought I made that clear!

So scratch that Doors song right off the list.

I'm serious about this! Unrequited love songs that make you cry. List them.

By droopy on Thursday, July 27, 2000 - 01:36 pm:

what do you need unrequited love songs for?

"lush life" sarah vaughn version (coltrane version is good too)

"almost blue" chet baker version

By Willy Nilly on Thursday, July 27, 2000 - 02:16 pm:

The butterball song makes me cry, though it's not sad... pathetic, sure, but not sad.

Prove my love isn't sad, but it's a great song. It's not happy either, though. Are ambiguous songs ok?

We've never met by Neko Case is pretty good. Unrequited love after a break-up. Jettison by Neko might also do (different twist on "unrequited"... more like "shouldn't be requited" I guess - very very heartbreaking).

Haunted (when the minutes drag) by Love & Rockets. It's certainly evocative, if not tear-jerking - it's hard for me to say because it doesn't make *me* cry, but it likely makes others cry.

Heart of glass by blondie?

Pretty Persuasion by REM?

This is fun, though I guess I'm not being as helpful as I could... most of these songs are not heartwrenching.

Hey or Cactus by the Pixies... ?

By patrick on Thursday, July 27, 2000 - 02:39 pm:

any Patsy Cline tune? in particular "Crazy"

By Jay on Thursday, July 27, 2000 - 03:25 pm:

"black" maybe? pearl jam.
    "fire and rain" james taylor
    Is "pretty persuasion' that song that starts off ..."i don't know why your mean to me.....when i call on the telephoooooooonnnnneee...."? if so, yeah that one to.
    let me get home and check out some of my albums. I broke up with this girl one time and pretty much came across every tear-jerker-heart-breaking song written. they always made me feel like shit but I loved to torture myself by listening to them.

By J on Thursday, July 27, 2000 - 03:34 pm:

I want you-Elvis Costello Somebody's crying-Chris Isaak On and On-Longpigs It's over now-Neve Creep-Radiohead

By Satan on Thursday, July 27, 2000 - 04:32 pm:

GIVE ME MY SEVERED HEAD BACK!!!!!!

By Willy Nilly on Thursday, July 27, 2000 - 04:34 pm:

I can't make out the first line of pretty persuasion. I think it might be more about being confused about one's sexuality, but since I can't really make out a lot of the lyrics, it might be a song about unrequited love.

Losing my religion is supposed to actually be a phrase that means "unrequited love" but not being a southerner, I don't know for sure.

I'll try to have more songs on point tomorrow...

By Satan on Thursday, July 27, 2000 - 04:46 pm:

!!!KCAB DAEH YM EM EVIG

By Satan on Thursday, July 27, 2000 - 05:50 pm:

I DONT HAVE A SONG RUNNING THROUGH MY HEAD BECAUSE SOMEONE IS WEARING MY SEVERED HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Crawford on Thursday, July 27, 2000 - 09:06 pm:

"Summer Babe" by Pavement is kinda about unrequited love, I guess.
    Radiohead's "Creep" is too, but somehow I don't feel that that song would fit on said list.
    "Diana" by Nerf Herder.
    "I Don't Care" by Black Flag.

Crap. I'm moving on Sunday. I hope everything goes well. If it doesn't I don't know what I'll do.

By PeriPheral on Thursday, July 27, 2000 - 11:22 pm:

I've got a song I wrote years ago called "Alone."

Why did you leave me here,
    to find my own way home?
    Your words were very clear:
    "You'll never be alone."

So now I run away,
    but I have no place to go.
    I thought I'd be with you.
    "We'll be in love forever more,
    forever more, forever more."

I know...short song, but it says a lot about what I was feeling at the time.

I think "Ms. Misery" by Elliot Smith might count, too.

By Dougie on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 08:08 am:

Alone Again, Naturally

(Gilbert O'Sullivan)

In a little while from now,
    If I'm not feeling any less sour.
    I promised myself, I'd treat myself,
    And visit a nearby tower ..........
    And climbing to the top,
    I'd throw myself off,
    In an effort to, make clear to whoever,
    What it's like when your shattered .......
    Standing in a lurch,
    In a church with people saying .....
    My God, that's tough, she stood him up,
    No point in us remaining .......
    I may as well go home,
    I decided on my own,
    Alone again, naturally.

It seems that only yesterday,
    I was cheerful, bright and gay.
    Looking forward to, and who wouldn’t do,
    The role I was about to play.
    And, as if to knock me down,
    Reality came around,
    And without so much as a mere touch,
    Put me into little pieces.
    Leaving me to doubt, all about God and His mercy,
    Oh, if He really does exist,
    Why did He desert me?
    And in my hour of need,
    I truely am, indeed,
    Alone again, naturally.

It seems to me that there are more hearts,
    Broken in the world that can’t be mended,
    Left unattended, what do we do?
    What do we do?

In looking back over the years,
    And whatever else has occurred.
    I remember I cried when my father died,
    Never wishing to hide the tears.
    At sixty-five years old,
    My mother, God rest her soul,
    Couldn’t understand why the only man,
    She had ever loved had been taken.
    Leaving her to start, with a heart so badly broken,
    Despite encouragement from me,
    No words were ever spoken.
    And when she passed away,
    I cried and cried all day,
    Alone again, naturally .....
    Alone again ................................. naturally.

By Willy Nilly on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 10:20 am:

Love in Vain by the Rolling Stones

By Satan on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 10:58 am:

I SEE A RED DOOR AND I WANT TO PAINT IT BLACK

By Satan on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 11:00 am:

I LOVE YOU, YOU LOVE ME, WE'RE A HAPPY FAMILY WITH A GREAT BIG HUG AND KISS FROM ME TO YOU, WONT YOU SAY YOU LOVE ME TO.
    I LOVE YOU, YOU LOVE ME. WE'RE BEST FRIENDS LIKE FRIENDS SHOULD BE. WITH A GREAT BIG HUG AND A KISS FROM ME TO YOU, WONT YOU SAY YOU LOVE ME TOO.

By patrick on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 02:02 pm:

crawford thats one of my favorite pavement songs......it reminds me of this girl i was in love with between 10th and 12th grades.......her name was margaret, with big brown eyes, and huge hips...soft brown pixiecut hair....she looked so hot in vintage cars. .she was smarter than me, hands down. she would shove me around and was very touchy feely, she would hit me on the arm when i said something stupid. she made mixed tapes for me and let me feel her tits on a few occassions. Her mom thought i was a "doll" and always advised me to drive safe be home on time, which i always did. I always had pot for margaret, she always tried to be careful not to get too stoned, but she always managed to get blasted. I was two years older than her and she thought the hijinks of my pals and I, taking grandpas pain killers, and horse tranquilizers, going to punk rock shows and smoking cigarettes, sneaking into the NC State Univ steam tunnels was a gas. I was madly in love with margret, infact when i first came to sorabji, i had a wishful inkling that the margret around here was her, but alas it isnt. I lost touch with margret some time ago. my recent state of things with my wife and your mention of that song crawford made me recall margaret. i was so madly in love. It was the first time as a 16 yearold, muchless a teenager, my mother actually saw me cry over a girl when she dumped me. Margaret and I tried to maintian friendship , but i was so inlove......eventually margret indirectly led me to be with the woman I am with now. I took margaret to Lollapalooza one year and nico was just an aquaintance at the time, in fact i called her by her name, nicole (it wasnt until we had sex listening to VU that i started calling her nico), but she and her friend (nico and sam RIP) were to take acid at the show and i was the hook up. When the Beasties came on, some prick lobbed a styrofoam cup of mud and it hit margaret, hard, (blood and all) in the head. I barely recall this but nico recently said this to me during a fight we were having...."where is the man that embraced her, held her head, comforted her, laid her down, got her water without leaving her side...where is that man, because thats the man i fell in love with..... that was the moment i fell madly in love with you, that caring, strong protecting man" This was really the last time margaret and i had any interaction as from then on, i was swept by a girl named nicole.........who then became my summer babe...July 11th, 1994

By Kalli on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 03:13 pm:

I have a song per relationship and none of them are good. My very first love, high school, thought we'd crush the world together....this is my favorite love story. I met Eric my junior year of high school. I went to a boarding school...it was small...we all knew eachother fairly well. Well, about three weeks into the semester, this new Sophmore kid shows up. He's tall, has long hair, and his hands...well I think I fell in love with his hands first before the rest of him. They were artist hands. I wanted him. Right then. I remember sitting in the lobby and seeing him....I was sixteen, and I was determined.

But he started hanging out with this Abby chick...a day student who was one of those poor tortured artist souls I thought I wanted to be back then. I was heartbroken. Then, one day, I was sitting on the steps and here comes Eric walking up the hill. He sat next to me and told me he was waiting for Abby..they were going to watch a movie together.

Abby never showed up...we sat there for hours until finally, that look...the shy akwardness you feel just before you kiss someone for the very first time. We kissed.

He was mine.

Eric and I lost our virginity to eachother. His parents were pastors at the church, so on Sundays I would sneak to his house and we'd try to make sense of this new thing called "sex" that we were teaching each other. After the very first time, we were walking back to school, we both started singing "Today" by Smashing Pumpkins at the very same time. We got up to campus and the video for Today was on MTV in the lobby. A week later, Eric was walking to school, and on the side of the road, discarded in a Pearl Jam case, was Siamese Dream.

Oh.

I guess I can't explain it.

I miss Eric sometimes. I wonder what he's doing now......I wonder what would happen if we ever ran into eachother again. I loved him sooo soo much.

By Jay on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 03:23 pm:

those stories are great. i wish i had something that good. I was one of those people who had the good fortune of having their heart broken (crushed into powder is probably more accurate) right around the time the whole seattle thing was breaking around 91'. i had all this great angst music to turn to and find comfort in. truly a special time. living in california. no one knew who i was. thats when i grew up.
    "slaves and bulldozers" off badmotorfinger. loud and true.

By Willy Nilly on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 04:14 pm:

Unfortunately for me, the unrequited love songs (maybe that's why I can only really come up with ones that make me laugh - the only way to stay sane) suit my experience better...

Kalli, that story was very bittersweet...

At least you have *something*.

"I get lonesome" by Beck suits my mood right now, though.

though "Girl Dreams" by Beck is probably a good song for the theme of this thread...

"She's just the girl of my dreams but it seems
    my dreams never come true."

By Satan on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 04:18 pm:

Willy, the devil can keep you company

By Willy Nilly on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 04:28 pm:

I'm afraid the devil is keeping me company - you seem to be the only person responding! I'm pretty impressed... most decapitated daemons would have a hard time typing as well as you are. Keep up the good work!

By Satan on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 04:31 pm:

I don't just see with my eyes, you know

By Satan on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 04:34 pm:

However, it did take me forever to figure out how to take the cap locks off, seeing as how my brain is in my head as well

By Willy Nilly on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 04:35 pm:

I'm still impressed. Without my head, I'd be completely useless, while now, I'm just sort of useless

By Tracehixon on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 04:52 pm:

Not really, I don't think so

By Satan on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 04:54 pm:

YOU ARE NOT USELESS TO ME, WILLY

By Tracehixon on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 05:00 pm:

Shut up satan

By J on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 05:15 pm:

Trace,I am curious about your e-mail you sent me,I always said Tom was Satan,do you think....

By Trace on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 05:42 pm:

Could be...................... Did Tom have a head?

By J on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 05:46 pm:

I never could tell,it was "hidden" up his ass.

By Trace on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 05:55 pm:

LOL......

By Trace on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 05:55 pm:

From what I read, Tom was a real Pecker Head

By J on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 06:03 pm:

That is an understatement,but I learned alot from him and that is that Satan can look good,don't let that bastard fool you.

By Satan on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 06:04 pm:

I AM NOT TOM, BUT HE IS WITH ME.

By Trace on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 06:08 pm:

So, have you lost trust for all men?

By J on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 06:19 pm:

I just don't trust anyone anymore,it's just too easy for people to lie,I have always believed everything anyone told me till that.

By Trace on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 06:20 pm:

You have a good reason to feel that way. You were betrayed in the worse possible way. I have to go home, but my email address is my home email, feel free, if you want, to email me. Otherwise, I hope to talk to you monday!

By J on Friday, July 28, 2000 - 06:39 pm:

I will.

By Antithesis on Saturday, July 29, 2000 - 05:02 am:

*Gulps at all this Tom-bashing*

Louisiana Lowdown by Cowboy Mouth
    New Orleans, by Cowboy Mouth
    (anybody guess what I'm listening to right now?)
    La La Love you, by the Pixies
    Somebody to Love, Jefferson Airplane
    Song for the Dumped, Ben Folds Five
    No One by Dada
    Broken Arms, by Pain (okay, not really.)
    Trailer Trash, by Modest Mouse
    track 14 off that same album. don't know what it's called... Bankrupt on Sellin'.
    Elliot Smith must have something that falls in this category, but I can't think... dammit.

Sad song, but not unrequited lovesong: Homesick and Keep it Up by Soul Asylum; Trashman in Furs by the Geraldine Fibbers

right. I'll have to go find these "Tom" threads now, assuming it's here. Or not. tired.

By Nelly on Sunday, July 30, 2000 - 01:29 am:

Still say this one is the killer.

I give a lot of weight to songs that actually make me cry and have to pull off the road the first time I hear them. And I don't even "like country music"....

He said "I'll love you till I die", she told him "You'll forget in time"
    As the years went slowly by, she still preyed upon his mind

He kept her picture on his wall, went half-crazy now and then
    He still loved her through it all, hoping she'd come back again

Kept some letters by his bed dated nineteen sixty-two
    He had underlined in red every single "I love you"

I went to see him just today, oh but I didn't see no tears
    All dressed up to go away, first time I'd seen him smile in years

He stopped loving her today
    They placed a wreath upon his door
    And soon they'll carry him away

SPOKEN
    You know, she came to see him one last time. Aww, 'n' we all wondered if she would.
    And it kept runnin' through my mind-"this time he's over her for good."

They placed a wreath upon his door
    And soon they'll carry him away

By Willy Nilly on Sunday, July 30, 2000 - 06:27 pm:

Wow... thanks for not thinking I'm useless, but I assure you that I am.

I was thinking about the theme of the thread again... I think that "Take it In" by Sloan might do too - the protagonist of the song is telling the object of unrequited love about his feelings, but seems to be suggesting that it's someone else who has the feelings. Again, not particularly tear-jerking, but not really happy. Bit of a twist at the end.

Is she really going out with him? by Joe Jackson
    Elliott Smith... maybe Waltz 2? I'm not sure of the names of the songs. Ever since CDs, I don't pay as much attention to the names. CD covers aren't as compelling (mostly because of the size, I think) as 12" vinyl covers. Oh well.

La La love you by the Pixies isn't sad... and not about unrequited love, I don't think. It's too loungy. They've got lots of others, though.

But, as already stated... the easiest way to get heart-wrenching, unrequited love songs is to get a Hank Williams Sr. compilation and/or a Patsy Cline compilation. They are straightforward tear jerkers. Most of the rest, I've noticed, are open to personal interpretation...

I hope this helps, spider. Is this just a list for personal edification or are you making a tape? Either way, I'd be interested in seeing what you've collected! The only way I feel anything these days is vicariously, so it would do me some good, I think.

I'm going to keep thinking about this.

By Jay on Sunday, July 30, 2000 - 10:54 pm:

what about "run run away' by slade?
    "whores" by janes addiction.
    unrequited? what does that mean exactly. i'd never use a word like that. i'd have to say "a song about loving someone and them not loving you back." it's fortunate they have words that mean things or else i'd ramble on for hours trying to make my point. Although the place where i work is amuk with anagrams which sometimes drive me crazy. "I had to get a PID form for SERF over at the JUMF." college campuses are another horrible place for anagrams. i am thankful for the word anagram though. or else i'd be stuck saying "words that are made from the initials of other words that get to long and tiresome to say over and over."

By Tired on Sunday, July 30, 2000 - 11:33 pm:

"Superstar," by the Carpenters, haven't heard the original but the Sonic Youth version is superb. And no feedback/distortion, if that's what instantly pops into your head when you see "Sonic Youth"

"No Distance Left to Run" by Blur. . . but maybe this is a tad too much on the getting-over-the-other-person theme

um. . . geez. . . 128 CDs and two songs on this theme. . . mebbe nobody wants to admit anything resembling love nowadays

By Jay on Monday, July 31, 2000 - 09:05 am:

twelve days till sonic youth. live, in the flesh. i'm shitting in my pants. have to get from here to canada and back first. have to survive an absolute canadian drunkfest without drinking first. have to get up the guts to ask out the cute girl at the vitamin store first. twelve days till sonic youth.

By Trace on Monday, July 31, 2000 - 11:00 am:

Just a quick post to say good morning J!

By Satan on Monday, July 31, 2000 - 12:17 pm:

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound
    That saved a Wretch like me.
    I once was lost, but now I am found, was blind but now I see.

By Willy Nilly on Monday, July 31, 2000 - 01:04 pm:

I know what you mean, Tired... I have a bunch of CDs, records, tapes and friends, and all I can come up with are a few ambiguous songs. Or maybe it's just taste - I never really went for maudlin songs (until I heard some Hank Williams Sr.). I think there's sort of a trend against sentimentality these days that didn't exist in decades past?

I think my dilemma of not feeling is something that affects more people today - maybe it's awareness that there are other experiences to be had and the lack thereof makes one feel separate? I forget how this relates to there being few songs about unrequited love, but it's in there somewhere.

I found that a lot of the songs about unrequited love that I thought of were amusing. The real sad ones were just about being depressed and lonely.

By Jay on Monday, July 31, 2000 - 02:29 pm:

oh shit! i've got the ultimate.
    that song by Don Henley. "heart of the matter"
    you know that shits unrequited as hell when the chorus is "even if you don't love me anymore" .
    there's also a few dinosaur jr. songs that are pretty heart felt although i can't remember the names. keeblin' maybe?

By Slick Willy on Monday, July 31, 2000 - 02:54 pm:

I WANT WILLY NILLY

By Willy Nilly on Monday, July 31, 2000 - 05:45 pm:

I'm flattered, I really am, but why?

You don't really know me... I could be a crazy fat chick with bad skin.

By Slick Willy on Monday, July 31, 2000 - 06:07 pm:

Oh Stop it, you are turning me on.
    Slick Willy wants Willy Nilly

By Willy Nilly on Monday, July 31, 2000 - 06:38 pm:

In the Flesh by Blondie...

As a side note, Blondie has a bunch of songs that are about stalking the object of one's affection. Has anyone else noticed that? My friend and I noticed that...

Tide is High - "I'm not the kind of girl who gives up just like that"

Hanging on the telephone - "I'm in the phone booth it's the one across the hall, if you don't pick up I'll just ring it all the more"

One way or another - "I'll walk down the mall, stand over by the wall Where I can see it all, find out who ya call"
    "I know your license plate number"
    "And if the lights are all out I'll follow your ass downtown See who's hangin' out"
    {I always thought it was "follow your *BUS* downtown" but the blondie site has these lyrics.}

I'm gonna love you too (I know this is a Buddy Holly cover, but why pick this particular song?) -"You're gonna say you'll hold me, You're gonna say you love me 'cause I'm gonna love you too"

Now... isn't this a peculiar theme?

Back to unrequited love (Jay, you could, instead of using "unrequited" you could use "one-sided," "unreciprocated" or even "unreturned")...

Almost all of Daniel Johnston's songs are sad songs about unrequited love - can't think of any specific titles off hand, though...

Julia Dream by Pink Floyd
    Bike by Pink Floyd too - but again, it's not sad

Very tangentially - Frustrated by the Knack... though these are more unrequited sexual advances than anything else.

Geez, coming up with songs is harder than it sounds!

By Willy Nilly on Monday, July 31, 2000 - 06:43 pm:

Slick Willy - I'm turning you on?!? HOW? I wish I were able to turn people on in person... normally I'm left to my lonesome.

People are so perplexing... not doing anything enticing normally doesn't elicit any response. Strange how differently things are perceived online.

By Satan on Monday, July 31, 2000 - 06:50 pm:

I like women who are large and have bad skin. And why not? They are the most loyal I have ever met.

By Willy Nilly on Monday, July 31, 2000 - 06:55 pm:

Ok, then, maybe I'm slender and small with flawless skin and a nasty streak?

I find it interesting that people seem to respond to other people more readily online than in real life. I can assure you that you wouldn't even notice me if we were in a room together. I am remarkably asexual. Again, this is the curious thing - I'm not behaving any differently here than I would be in person... not really.

By Slick Willy on Monday, July 31, 2000 - 06:58 pm:

Because of the imagination. Mankind's greatest play ground. Anything can happen there, and you, Willy Nilly, can look like anything I want you to look like

By Willy Nilly on Monday, July 31, 2000 - 07:03 pm:

Ok, but then what am I doing... do you really need me, in any way, to excite your imagination? Can't you just make someone up? she could like *exactly* all the same things you do, and she could be any way you want. With me, even though you're exposed to only a teensy weensy bit of my personality, you have to make the concession that I am a distinct person with a personality you have no control over. With me, at least, if I'm going to fantasize about someone, I make him up from scratch.

By Slick Willy on Monday, July 31, 2000 - 07:07 pm:

No it is no fun that way. I need you to have a personality. Using your imagination completely is like, well, masturbating. Sure, it's fun for a while, but after so long, you figure what is the point? And new material is always needed.
    Plus, you think of ideas I never dream of. And you respond. And there is fun and joy of anticipating your response.

By Slick Willy on Monday, July 31, 2000 - 07:09 pm:

Unfortunately, I must go. Hillary is calling. Can we resume this conversation tomorrow?
    :-)

By Willy Nilly on Monday, July 31, 2000 - 07:12 pm:

Possibly - depends on how much desk time I get.

Also, if you're expecting anything, uh, dirty... I respond from a public terminal from where I work in a public library. This is as racy as I'm going to get!

By Gee on Tuesday, August 1, 2000 - 01:52 am:

"I Love You" - Sarah McLachlan

"Tragic"
    "Mmm Donut"
    "Someday" - Captain Tractor

"Anything" - Bif Naked

"(Last Night) I Didn't Get to Sleep at All" - the 5th Dimension

By J on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 12:48 pm:

I'm so happy I can't stop crying-Sting

By Trace on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 12:52 pm:

That new Desert Rose by Sting is Kick Ass!

By Willy Nilly on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 04:25 pm:

I'm not 100% sure, but would Harvest Moon by Neil Young fit the theme?

By J on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 04:56 pm:

Nope

By Satan on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 05:00 pm:

DIE FAGGOTS

By Zephyr on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 05:29 pm:

You'll note that they're all women, buddy.

By M on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 05:33 pm:

DIE FAGGOTS?
    Kind of a Kurt Weil/Richard Wagner thing?

maybe not...

By Satan on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 05:36 pm:

WOMEN CAN BE FAGGOTS

By Zephyr on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 06:29 pm:

I think I need to go take a nap.

By Cat on Monday, August 7, 2000 - 07:47 pm:

Yeah Satan, the more I read your posts, the more I feel like switching to the homo team. I'd rather a decent intelligent woman than a right-wing-facist-bully-boy wanker like yourself.

By Aaron Freed on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 02:49 am:

I'll take my shot at The List...

Tori Amos - "Precious Things." This song is
    pretty specific about an experience she had
    when she was younger, but it's definitely about
    unrequited love and it's definitely not happy.

The Beatles - "No Reply," "Yesterday," "I'm a
    Loser," and probably many more. "I'm a
    Loser" is in a major key, but that certainly
    doesn't make it a happy song. Keep this in
    mind.

Black Sabbath - "A Bit of Finger/Sleeping
    Village/Warning." Never let it be said,
    however, that Geezer Butler actually writes
    good lyrics. He doesn't.

Jackson Browne - "Fountain of Sorrow,"
    "Farther On," "The Late Show"

Derek and the Dominos/Eric Clapton - "Layla."
    I cannot believe no one's mentioned this one
    yet - it's the textbook example of an
    "unrequited love" rock song.

Elvis Costello - "Alison" - another classic
    example...

The Cure - I'll resist the temptation to say
    "everything they ever did," but Robert Smith
    wasn't exactly happy, romantically...

Ani DiFranco - "Adam and Eve," kind of; there's
    a bunch of other songs of hers that fit the bill
    more accurately, but it's up to you to do the
    hunting.

Bob Dylan - "I Want You," virtually the entire
    Blood on the Tracks album, "It Takes a Lot to
    Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry" (sort of)

Grateful Dead - "Brokedown Palace."

Metallica - "Nothing Else Matters." Yes, a
    metal band can do a love ballad. The lyrics
    are kind of cryptic, but the melody is very sad.

Nine Inch Nails - "Something I Can Never
    Have." It's kind of about a breakup, but the
    unrequited love part runs pretty strong, too.
    NIN is high on depressive lyric count.

Smashing Pumpkins - virtually every song in
    the catalog and then some.

The Smiths - "How Soon Is Now" and
    presumably countless others, though none
    spring to mind. "I Know It's Over" kind of fits
    the bill, but he's talking about a relationship
    that's, well, over.

U2 - a lot of the stuff from Achtung Baby;
    "Surrender/Red Light," though these songs
    (they are about the same person) also deal
    with the object of the speaker's affections
    committing suicide. I guess that's the ultimate
    unrequited love, since she'll never be alive to
    appreciate his presence.

Violent Femmes - "Please Do Not Go."
    Despite the implications of the song title, lead
    singer Gordon Gano is actually referring to
    someone who he doesn't even have.

The Wallflowers - a number of songs from the
    new album.

Neil Young - "Speakin' Out," "Cowgirl in the
    Sand," "Expecting to Fly," "Only Love Can
    Break Your Heart," "Without Rings." There's
    also "Like a Hurricane," which isn't explicitly
    about unrequited love but has a lot of the
    same emotions -- "I want to love you but I'm
    gettin' blown away."

Hmm... There's a bit more of a folkie bent in
    this list than I was expecting. Folk musicians
    have it tough, I suppose. I'm sure I can think
    of more, but this would come at the expense
    of sleep.

By Aaron Freed on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 03:17 am:

whoops. found a few more:

Three by Husker Du: "Ice Cold Ice," "Standing
    in the Rain," "All This I've Done For You."
    Despite the largely major key of "Standing in
    the Rain," you get a sad song. How funny.

Beck: "Lord Only Knows," which is a very
    pained song if you get past the almost
    unbearable sarcasm that overrides the whole
    song (love that scream at the beginning). The
    opening, though: "You only got one finger left,
    and it's pointin' out the door."

Nine Inch Nails: "That's What I Get," "Piggy,"
    "Sin," "Sanctified" (yes, "Sanctified" is actually
    a thinly-veiled reference to the drug addiction
    Trent was suffering from at the time he wrote
    the song, and not about an actual woman at
    all, but who cares as long as you can identify
    with its romantic situation?). Some of the
    songs on _The Fragile_ could be interpreted
    romantically -- "I'm Looking Forward to Joining
    You, Finally" has a dedication to Trent's
    deceased grandmother, but I found myself
    identifying with the words ("A fool's devotion /
    Swallowed up in empty space / The tears of
    regret / Frozen to the side of his face...") whilst
    immersing myself in unrequited love-driven
    sadness. "Underneath It All" could be about a
    lost love (again, it's a major key but that
    doesn't make it a happy song), and
    "Somewhat Damaged" could be decrying the
    failure of a loved one to come through, which
    is kind of unrequited love if you look at it in the
    right angle. The beautiful thing with song
    lyrics is that you can get your own meaning
    from them.

Nick Drake: "Which Will," "Place to Be," "Poor
    Boy," & plenty of others, but you have to derive
    your own meaning from some of his lyrics.

The Velvet Underground: "Oh! Sweet Nuthin'"
    (well, it's _kind of_ about unrequited love,
    though it's really referring to unrequited
    everything -- "she ain't got nuthin' at all").

Someone above me expressed doubts that
    Radiohead's "Creep" belongs on this list. I
    feel that they were wrong to doubt; it seems to
    me just as valid a contender as anything else.
    "She's running out the door... Run, run, run,
    run... / Whatever makes you happy / Whatever
    you want / You're so f*cking special / I wish I
    was special / But I'm a creep / I'm a weirdo" --
    this is love, and it's unrequited, and it's
    unbearably sad. The song, just like the "skin"
    of the woman the speaker sings of, makes
    me cry.

Speaking of which, I usually don't listen to
    unrequited love songs when I'm depressed
    about unrequited love -- that just pisses me off
    even more, and usually makes me think too
    much about whichever beautiful girl I was
    trying to forget in the first place. But whatever
    works for you works for you, I guess, as long
    as it doesn't stop you from actually living your
    life.

Anyway. _This_ time I'm really off to sleep. I
    have taken too much time here. Good night.

By JusMiceMournfulElf on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 11:50 pm:

Did no one mention "Wild and Blue," by the Mekons?

"Way across town a phone rings off the wall
    If you know he's not home why do you keep calling..."

By Nelly on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 01:48 am:

No one has mentioned Mekons for a long long time. So thank you

By Bobby on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 03:39 am:

Back in a previous incarnation, married, there was for me one song that epitomized unrequited love. Mine was a marriage of great passion, of sizzling chemistry, but alas, a shortage of compatibility. Stormy? Cape Horn in winter. Breakups and makeups. Tears of joy and tears of sorrow. During the breakups, my anthem was Bread's "Lost Without Your Love." (Makeups? Donna Summer's "Love to Love You, Baby")

I know I'm dating myself, (no one else will date me,) but now, wiser and saner without her, I sometimes hear the Muzak version of "Lost Without Your Love" at the supermarket, shopping alone. I pause, and listen, with a tear in my eye.

Lost Without Your Love

Lost and all alone
    I always thought that I could make it on my own
    Since you left I hardly make it through the day
    My tears get in the way
    And I need you back to stay

I wander through the night
    And search the world to find
    the words to make it right
    All I want is just the way it used to be
    With you here close to me
    I've got to make you see

That I'm lost without your love
    Life without you isn't worth the trouble of
    I'm as helpless as a ship without a wheel
    A touch without a feel
    I can't believe it's real...

And someday soon I'll wake
    And find my heart won't have to break

Yes I'm lost without your love
    Life without you isn't worth the trouble of
    All I want is just the way it used to be
    I need you here with me
    Oh darlin' can't you see...
    If we had love before
    We can have it back once more

By Tawnee on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 11:52 am:

I know what you mean. My relationship was that we conected on a physical level (sex), but we
    didn't connect on an emotional level. So sad, because I think he was truly my soulmate. By the time I figured this out it was too late.

By heather on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 11:54 am:

yes. soulmates is about sex.

By J on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 12:21 pm:

Tawnee if he was your soulmate,you would have conected on an emotional level,but what do I know,I married my s/o for good sex.

By Czarina on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 12:25 pm:

yes,unbelievable passion.I was lucky,we were also compatible.And then I was a fool.

By JusMiceElf on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 12:51 pm:

Mekons Mekons Mekons Mekons

I'm currently playing to death a Mekons boot from last year in Chicago. No Wild and Blue, alas, but Ballad of Sally rocks, as does 1967, and well the whole thing rocks. It's making me very happy right now.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 01:08 pm:

If you were to suggest only one Mekons album to acquire, which would it be?

By Tawnee on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 02:22 pm:

There's more to relationships than great sex. Orgasms just don't last long enough

By patrick on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 02:39 pm:

yeah..choice of lube is important.

By Dougie on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 02:57 pm:

What's the deal with lube? Everybody's always talking (well, not always) about astroglide and KY. I've never needed lube, either with or without a condom. I guess for asssex it would be needed, but for just straight sex, nature seems to work just fine. Just curious.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 05:39 pm:

i dunno. a little spit always seems to make the asssex work for me.

By JusMiceElf on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 05:43 pm:

Rhi, for classic Mekons, I'd say it's a tossup between Rock and Roll and Curse of the Mekons; Curse is probably more my favorite, but I might actually steer you more towards Rock and Roll.

For contemporary Mekons, go with their latest, Journey to the End of Night. It's moody and dark, with some great songs, and backing vocals from Neko Case and Kelly Hogan.

Or, for an overview, there's I Have Been To Heaven And Back, volume 1 of a two volume set; the second volume, Where Were You, is all live cuts.

So...Get Rock and Roll, and go back and get the others. Or give me a couple of weeks, and I'll work out a Mekons mix, and burn it.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 05:45 pm:

i love the transition and contrast from nate's post to hers.

thats brilliant.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 05:50 pm:

idunno. i feel kinda ignored.

i mean, that's important information i'm imparting.

tested many times over in the back of my mobile laboratory.

By Cat on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 05:55 pm:

Talking about lube, as we are wont to do. A friend of mine tells this story about how she and her lover were using some kind of strawberry-flavoured spermicide. Anyway, he being the obedient boy he was, went down on her and came back up with anaesthised lips and tongue. Apparently, he was just drooling and blubbering for ages.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 06:25 pm:

because of the lube, or because he was a guy?

By Cat on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 06:33 pm:

She says it was because of her "stunning" cunt.

No, the lube had something in it that numbed his lips and tongue. Please try and stay with the rest of the class.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 06:41 pm:

dougie i can tell you on certain drugs lube may be necessary, and i presume for ass sex too, but i don't really know much about that.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 07:35 pm:

"if the ass is generating it's own lube, you don't want to be sticking nothin' in it"

how's that for a maxim.

By Dougie on Thursday, April 5, 2001 - 10:32 am:

That's always been the motto I've tried to live by. In fact, it's the tag line on my business cards.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact