Tangerine Speedo

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: Tangerine Speedo
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By David on Thursday, November 9, 2000 - 09:23 am:

This Caviar CD is incredible.

www.otterco.com/caviar
    www.caviarmy.com

By Kymical on Thursday, November 9, 2000 - 06:35 pm:

i have heard this song...i have been humming the tune and i knew nothing about the band or the cd...then i was at the cd shoppe and i saw this sticker and it was like promotional stuff for the band Caviar. then the snide stupid fucking guy who works at this place (i hate him just because he is such an ass and he changes the color of his hair too often, and he is one of those "hardercore than thou" types) says to another co-worker "i don't know why we have caviar stickers. i think my band could write a better song than tangerine speedo."
    then i was like oh hey this is those guys! thanks asshole guy, you just saved me a lot of detective work...

hmmmm, this narrative, like many of mine had really no point..

By pez on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 12:21 pm:

tangerine speedo has a nce campy retro feel that i like, besides, the singer doesn't attempt any vocal gymnastics. he stays in his own range, singing deep in the throat in his sexy voice.

By Dougie on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 01:07 pm:

Ugh, just downloaded it from Napster to see what all the fuss was. You guys actually like this?

By Kymical on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 01:39 pm:

you see dougie,can i call you dougie?
    you see the way it all works is that most of us around here are sniffing glue. we are all about it, it is all the rage.

but hey if you didn't like that and you got it off the napster. you should check out Pizzicato5 doing a cover of the girl from impanema. Stan Getz would be proud i think. it is so very cute.

but yeah, the tangerine speedo, sniff glue and you will understand.

By patrick on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 01:45 pm:

ugh Pizzicato 5...japanese version of Dee-Lite..i got suckered into buy a cd of theirs once, many years ago....

By pez on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 02:44 pm:

i like caviar, ok? do you have a problem with that?

i'm about to go to wherehouse. haven't been there in a long time.

oooooh...i love cheap cds.

By Dougie on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 02:46 pm:

Yes, you may call me whatever you like, Kymical. But ya doesn't has to call me Johnson. Thanks for clueing me in on the glue sniffing thing. I'm fresh out of glue here, so I won't be able to get the full effect of the song sober then. Will check out Pizzicato5 doing Girl from Ipanema. Stan Getz might be proud, but would Jobim? Thanks for the tip.

By Dougie on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 02:48 pm:

No Pez, I don't have a problem with your liking caviar. You like what you like, I'll like what I like. I may question your tastes and you mine, but I feel that we can all get along happily riding on this big beautiful ball we call mother earth.

By J on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 03:28 pm:

If ya'll saw my c.d. collection you'd think I was schitzo!!hhmmmm.pppfffftttt

By Kymical on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 03:53 pm:

i would hardly consider them a japanese version of dee-lite. i think they have just more of a poppy sound, while de-lite to me says, boogie.

p5 says, hey look it's cathy and japanese.

and pocky says, crack cocaine.

and the animals, well they talk crazy talk.

By pez on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 06:59 pm:

i didn't have a single cd until the last january.

today i aquired:

the presidents of the untied states of america (kitty, lump, and peaches are good)
    santana (of recordings made during late '60s/early '70s)
    jethro tull (i haven't heard them for a long time, but i love their music and i found an unopened cd (!!!!) for $6.99)
    herbie mann (recommended to me by a friend)
    smashing pumpkins (machina)

i'm at a point where it's hard for me to buy a cd that's priced over $13...i can find lots of stuff for less. sometimes the lowest prices yeild the best surprises (i love bargain bins!).

By patrick on Friday, November 10, 2000 - 07:21 pm:

some recent stuff i got with birthday cash

DK-Give me Convenience or give me Death (my original tape copy of this died recently, it's filed in my classics section)

David Bowie-Hunky Dory this has to be one of my favorites...(again another tape casualty)

Tom Waites-Small Change

New York Dolls-the Glamorous Life

The Clash-London Calling (don't get much better than this)

Black Sabbath -Paranoid (another tape casualty)

Leonard Cohen-Im Your Man

mmmm and I got a few Art Blakey and Miles albums from some pals....

and I got a new 5 disc changer. som im in music happyland....

*checking watch*

christ is it 5 yet

By Tom on Sunday, November 12, 2000 - 07:14 pm:

no. but it's close.

hrm. I'm trying to practice my comp-taping skills... I'm obviously no good at this game. Just made two discs, and I'm not happy with either of them. *shrug*

one was supposed to be my a tribute to grunge, but I just couldn't do it. I was forced to add some Geraldine Fibbers and that led to Ben Lee, and now it doesn't know grunger from dustbunnies. *shrug* but it sure is cheaper than buying music. *huggles Napster*

By dave. on Sunday, November 12, 2000 - 07:24 pm:

i'm stuck in so-called stoner rock mode. goatsnake and high on fire are in heavy (get it?) rotation. yup. group napster hug.

By Isolde on Sunday, November 12, 2000 - 07:37 pm:

I'm sorry, Dave.
    I've been Napstering my heart out lately. Napster is an excellent thing.

By dave. on Sunday, November 12, 2000 - 07:47 pm:

it's not as bad as it sounds. it's actually preferable to being in, say, olympia band mode. sleater-kinney = hwarf! beat happening? i saw calvin today. i had to fight back an urge to slap him. that stupid man ruins every project he touches but still manages to attract a cult of followers. go figure.

By Isolde on Sunday, November 12, 2000 - 07:58 pm:

I suppose that if you are happy, all is well. I am actually listening to "Call the Doctor" at the moment. Ah, well. It's raining and I've been sleeping pretty much all day.
    Who is this Calvin? Explain him.

By dave. on Sunday, November 12, 2000 - 08:11 pm:

now it's my turn to be sorry. calvin is the main dude in the oly music scene. owner of k records. droner of beat happening and dub narcotic sound system. pusher-downer of old people. booger and scab eater. bad dancer.

By Cat on Sunday, November 12, 2000 - 08:41 pm:

. o O He sounds like the perfect bloke for me...do you have his number?

By dave. on Sunday, November 12, 2000 - 08:53 pm:

Try this.

(360)786-1594

Sorry I missed you the other night. Maybe another time?

By Cat on Sunday, November 12, 2000 - 09:17 pm:

You leave me alone in "Yahoo: Dog Sex 1" and then want to say sorry?

Sorry isn't good enough. I want your first born.

Or you could drop and give me 20. Feet kisses that is.

Pisspustle.

(Actually, I got my days wrong and J wasn't on until yesterday and I couldn't do anything yesterday because I was supposed to go hiking but then the weather was bad so I made a bloody hot thai chicken salad for lunch and got slobbery drunk and had a big sleep and tidied up my closet and spent some lovely time with a friend..not in that order though)

By Isolde on Sunday, November 12, 2000 - 09:39 pm:

That sounds like loads of fun, Cat. Much better than anything I've done this weekend. I've slept, mostly, and stageered awake briefly to eat. I'm beginning to feel alive.
    And who can resist something like Yahoo: Dog Sex 1? I would have stayed.

By TBone on Sunday, November 12, 2000 - 09:47 pm:

Sounds like more fun than my hideous Software Science assignment due tomorrow. Shit, I don't wanna do it. Need distraction... Please... Help... Someone please take me away from this evil. They're teaching me to talk like a pointy-haired boss.

By Kymical on Sunday, November 12, 2000 - 10:41 pm:

i have seen pictures of calvin, he is in a recent bust issue as one of the "men we love." oh yeah, very much kymical's type if anyone was wondering. i like em pretty. tho what they have inside their heads is always a problem. cause usually it doesn't even remotely reflect on the package.
    dreams are shattered, wedding dresses burned.

i just learned about the whole k records idea. interesting.

i hope that is/isn't his real number.
    i would grin with glee.

By Cat on Sunday, November 12, 2000 - 11:30 pm:

I just tried calling that number and there was no answer.

Damn and blast.

By Cat on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 12:03 am:

You know you want the recipe for my Awesome Thai Chicken Salad. I got it when I lived in this little village in Thailand and I've kinda played with it over the years. But you do need to get the fresh herbs or it will not be anywhere near as good.

1 tablespoon oil
    1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
    1 stalk lemongrass (you can use bottled if you bloody have to)
    3 - 6 red chillies, chopped
    1 lb chicken breast, really finely chopped into strips
    1/4 cup lemon or lime juice or a mixture of the two
    1 tablespoon fish sauce
    1 red onion thinly sliced
    1 cup coriander leaves
    2 tablespoons shredded basil
    1/2 - 1 cup coconut milk (use this if you want a some sauce because you're serving it with rice)

Heat oil in wok or frying pan over high heat. Add the lemongrass, chilli and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken and cook stirring for about 5 mins or until it's cooked. Add the coconut milk if using. Remove the chicken from the heat and cool slightly. Combine the lemon juice and fish sauce and pour over the chicken. Add the onion, coriander and basil. And that's it.

Throw in some cashew nuts and lime wedges if you're hoping to bonk the person you're serving it to. It's good with lettuce as a kind of salad or with rice as more of a curry thingy.

By agatha on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 01:24 am:

i liked calvin until i got a studio next to his rehearsal space. repetitive repetitive repetitive. they play the same fucking thing over and over and calvin goes, "ahhhhhhhhhhh" in that annoying low voice. he's a nice guy, though.

By Tom on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 02:40 am:

Thailand?

yum. what's it like? Dreams of going to Thailand, lying on beaches, being reclusive? and, of course, busting sweatshops.

I fear it will be nothing like I think it will be.

research, then.

yesyes. you're right.

also: bleh on dub narcotic.

also: does Dave have hateful Calvinstories to spew?

boop-she-boop-shoo-wop!

By Isolde on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 08:36 am:

Your salad sounds tasty, Cat. Perhaps I will adapt it to vegan goodness. I'm rather fond of Thai food. I wish somewhere here actually had real Thai food--instead it's just kind of this wierd pseudo spicy crap. Sadly. Someday, true food will come. I have faith in it.

By patrick on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 11:45 am:

can i tell you how much slater-kinney drives me up the wall....along with cat power....Grrrrrrr!!!!!!

dub narcotic are strangely ironic. they are annoying because of their inherent mundane quality, yet thats the schtick...let see how mundane and droney i can be ....

i think their show i saw a few months back had to be one of the most boring shows i have seen in a long time.

By cyst on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 12:50 pm:

calvin used to hit on my friend christine when we were teens and saw shows at the ok hotel. he would call her and leave funny messages.

"you should call him back!" I said.

"but he's old and icky," she said.

By agatha on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 01:00 pm:

he likes the young girls. not illegally young, though. he's really not a bad guy, but his personality is fairly low key for a rock star.

By J on Monday, November 13, 2000 - 01:05 pm:

I posted something on your Pita board Agatha,I forgot all about that till now.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact