new Tom Waits!

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: new Tom Waits!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 10:58 am:

I got my "Blood Money" and "Alice" -- did you?

I like them. He didn't break any new ground or anything, but I like them. He really is a pirate, isn't he? So many of his songs sound like sea shanties.

I like "Knife Chase."

Your thoughts??

By semillama on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 11:20 am:

I'm going out on my lunch period and
    acquiring them RIGHT NOW.

By Christopher on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 12:02 pm:

Ditto. Big Tom Waits fan over here. Thanks for the heads up.

Did you know he plays gigs in Oakland from time to time?

By patrick on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 12:16 pm:

i don't have any cash for them right now. pooh.

my money is tied up in photo crap.

gotta two shoots this weekend, buy lots of film and rent a telephoto.

poopy.

i hear them on the radio though.

By Nate on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 12:18 pm:

he lives in sebastapol.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 12:24 pm:

I would kill to see him perform live.

Specifically, I would kill someone I didn't know very well but whose face I just didn't like. I would stab them, or maybe rig the brakes on their car (if I were feeling squeamish that day).

"If there's one thing you can say about mankind...there's nothing kind about man."

By patrick on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 12:35 pm:

he went on tour about 2 1/2 years ago.

i know he played here at least. I did not see him, regretably.

By semillama on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 12:37 pm:

I'm listening to Blood Money right now -
    Lullaby.

What a fantastic album. It's really classic Tom
    Waits. I really like the song "God's Away on
    Business." I can't wait to listen to Alice next.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 12:40 pm:

I've only heard the first few songs off "Alice" (I left it in my car this morning), and it seems to be a little mellower than "Blood Money."

By semillama on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 01:04 pm:

it's not so much that it's mellower, but it's a lot
    more mournful and sad. Blood Money is
    more, well, psychotic, but not in the way that
    springs to mind when you describe Tom
    Waits' music as psychotic.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 01:04 pm:

I just heard that Tom Waits will be on Letterman tonight.

By eri on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 01:58 pm:

I've never heard of him. I hate when that happens. I don't know anything about his music or anything.

By semillama on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 02:03 pm:

I may be staying up past my bed time tonight...

By sarah on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 02:05 pm:

i wanna get that one. i also want the new sheryl crow.

i did get the new elvis costello, which is amazing - i very highly recommend it. it's like the stuff he used to do you 15 years ago. kinda punky.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 02:44 pm:

Eri, in my experience, you either love Tom Waits or you hate him. None of this "ehh...he's all right." Strict polarization of responses. So he's not for everyone.

I've been known to say, though, that when it comes to the traits of my future husband, "likes Tom Waits" is up there with "is employed" and "loves his mother."

http://www.officialtomwaits.com has tons of information on him. You can find soundclips of his songs on http://www.amazon.com .

He writes fantastic lyrics and surreal-circus-freakshow music. The biggest hurdle to his appeal is probably his voice, which sounds like he swallows nails and chews gravel for breakfast, but once you're used to it you realize no other voice could sing these songs.

Rod Stewart has covered a couple -- "Downtown Train" is a Tom Waits song -- and, well, ugh.

As for Elvis Costello, if Margret and Sarah like his new album, how could I not investigate?

By patrick on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 02:58 pm:

he takes theatrics and music to a new level. you don't know if you are listening to a musical or a song.

a friend who saw him in NJ a few years back, said he came out on stage, which was covered in dirt, and started kicking hunched over like a person does when immitating a bull and just did that for the first 15 minutes. freak.

he's also an actor and has showed up in various films including Mystery Men. He's a big favorite of Francis Ford Coppola's appearing in The Outsiders and Rumblefish. He was in a Jim Jarmusch film called Down by Law, which i rented but never got to watch.

he takes theatrics and music to a new level. you don't know if you are listening to a musical or a a recorded album.

a friend who saw him in NJ a few years back, said he came out on stage, which was covered in dirt, and started kicking hunched over like a person does when immitating a bull and just did that for the first 15 minutes. freak.

he's also an actor and has showed up in various films including Mystery Men. He's a big favorite of Francis Ford Coppola's appearing in The Outsiders and Rumblefish. He was in a Jim Jarmusch film called Down by Law, which i rented but never got to watch.

dammit

By Spider on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 03:10 pm:

I've seen Down by Law. I wanted to like it, I really did, but I thought it was boring.

John Lurie is in it. Once, once upon a time, I could have sworn I saw copies of "Fishing with John" in my video store, including the episode with Tom Waits. I would love to see that. I guess I should ask at the desk, huh?

By semillama on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 03:12 pm:

Rent it again. Watch it.
    He was also in Ironweed, which is a very good
    but very depressing movie. He was also in
    Short Takes, is that the right title of the movie?

By Christopher on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 03:15 pm:

He was also in Ironweed with Jack Nicholson and Merryl Streep, as well as a great turn as Renfield in Coppola's "Dracula". I saw him play at some dive in Oakland about a year ago. It wasn't announced until a few hours before. It was some dive with a stage, but I cant tell you where in Oakland. It was a seedy neighborhood.

Theres a place in San Francisco down near Mission Bay, that reminds me of Tom Waits in a big way. its a divey little whiskey bar that has a donut stand inside. You can walk up to the window outside and get a donut, or you can ask them to get you one while you sit at the bar. I've dipped my donuts in Bushmills at 9 am on a couple of occasions. Sure , San Francisco might be known for its bars in the stars atop some of the finer hotels, but the gutter level joints are a lot more interesting.

By eri on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 03:28 pm:

I tried to listen to the soundclips. I got some error message about the specified path not existing or something and to check the path again and retry. I don't even know what the path is. I tried to listen to a friend of mine, on her new website at www.kswministries.com, and got the same error message. I am a computer idiot.

I saw Mystery Men, but don't have a clue who this guy is. I sold the movie a few months ago so I can't go back and check. I haven't heard of the other movies.

By Christopher on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 03:51 pm:

He was the inventor who lived in the amusement park. He supplied the Mystery Men with their weapons, as well as the Battle Jitney (their bulbous vehicle).

By Christopher on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 03:53 pm:

By the way, your error message probably means that your Real player got trashed. Go to www.real.com, download the free player, install it and try again. I bet it works!

By patrick on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 04:05 pm:

i learned, looking at his complete acting list that he was in a handful of shorts called Cigarettes and Coffee...one direct by Jim Jarmusch, another by Paul Thomas Anderson. The lastest one, #3 is a conversation between him and Iggy Pop.

I have to get a hold of these. Im willing to bet my video store has them too.

By droopy on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 04:10 pm:

alert to texas residents:

the pbs show 'austin city limits' will be rebroadcasting a 1979 tom waits concert sometime this summer. i've seen several times mentioned, so i think different stations will be running it at different times. keep your eyes peeled.

i've seen it. it was cool.

burma shave.

By patrick on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 04:14 pm:

what the fuck are you doing droop?

By Spider on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 04:22 pm:

He's keeping you informed, goofball. Thank him.

By sarah on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 04:27 pm:

droop, i remember you writing about that performance!

i wonder if kevin can program his TiVO to keep an eye out for it or something. that thing can do some pretty bizarre stuff, ya never know.

By eri on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 05:21 pm:

OOOOHHHH. I saw that ad on television last night and it showed a clip of him singing. Now I get it! What is up with his voice? I might have to watch that now.

By the way, did anyone see that lightbulb light up above my head?

By patrick on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 05:31 pm:

its his voice.

By droopy on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 05:31 pm:

maybe patrick means i should've kept my mouth shut about this performance, taped it, then sent it to spider with a marriage proposal.

heh.

the schedule says it will be on june 29th in austin, but i think it will be different state-wide.

By patrick on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 05:32 pm:

spider.....hush you.

droop hasn't been around.

i just wanted to know what the fuck he was doing.

i took the info and pocketed it, for what its worth considering i wont be able to see it.

By patrick on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 05:33 pm:

and that would have been a good idea droop, too bad i didnt think of it first.

By dave. on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 08:52 pm:

i like tom waits on almost every level except the level where i actually have to listen to his voice. i love him as an actor, even when it's a bit part. if he's in the movie, it's almost guaranteed to be an above average movie. if i have to listen to him, i prefer the clap hands voice to the 16 shells from a 30.06 voice.

By agatha on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 02:52 am:

shortcuts. he was awesome in shortcuts.

where the hell have you been, droop?

and sarah, what the hell are you doing with kevin's tivo, you fickle woman?

By droop on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 05:26 am:

ain't been nowhere.

bodily.

but my mind's been on vacation, lately. haven't been able to post.

can't sleep, neither. it's about 4:30 a.m., and i'm sipping vodka and listening to down-home gospel music on the radio. it's getting to be a habit.

By agatha on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 11:51 am:

are you all right? how long has this sleep business been going on?

sometimes, there's just nothing interesting to say.

By LoneStranger on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 12:19 pm:

Watched Letterman last nite. Decent show. Waits is good.

I had to go to bed before Kilby came on though. I would have stayed up, but he had no chicks coming on.

LS

By patrick on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 12:22 pm:

shit i totally forgot!

By Spider on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 12:37 pm:

Me too. :(

By sarah on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 12:49 pm:

i don't have a TV, let alone a tivo. he has one though and he'll grab a program for me if i ask him to.

we still see each other at least once a week. i go over to his house to visit with and take care of my kitties, until i decide what i'm going to do when my lease is up at my apartment at the end of july.

i have nothing interesting to say, except that i'm flying to florida today to spend mother's day with my mom, 2 aunties, and my sweet and loving but crazy as a loon grandmother, who i haven't seen in 10 years.

By Kalli on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 01:21 pm:

i love the two new albums. i went out n bought
    em the day they came out instead of buying
    lunch. totally worth it. like the new elvis
    costello album too although i think he flakes
    in the end by trying to sound like an old rocker
    who's not an old rocker. but whatever.

truth be told, if i could have a small orgy the
    first two people i'd invite would be tom and
    elvis. still hot even though his face looks like
    it's sliding down his skin...

im enthralled.

By Droop on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 02:48 pm:

i'm fine, agatha. always had a thing about not sleeping.

saw waits on letterman last night. beautiful tune, but i don't know which one it was. you even got to see dave and tom banter with each other.

really try to catch that 'austin city limits', sarah. the first thing he does - "silent night/christmas carol from a hooker in minneapolis" - is him telling a story over the music. it's about 15 minutes. "summertime(gershwin's)/burma shave" is another story.

By Spider on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 09:10 am:

If you missed Tom Waits on Letterman, someone put his perfomance up on the net:

http://www.io.com/~shushine/waits/

(I haven't followed the link, so if it doesn't work or something, it ain't my fault.)

By patrick on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 11:16 am:

no but will tar and feather you all the same.

By Spider on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 11:44 am:

Good thing I believe in the redemptive properties of suffering, huh? :)

By Kallioooooop on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 01:54 pm:

i missed that performance the other day. (i
    was out looking at emo boy butt) but wooohoo
    thankyouu.

i saw him perform on letterman when mule
    variations came out. it was sweet. he did
    "chocolate jesus" and tossed confetti in the air
    and..

awww.

im smitten.

the boy brought me a bootleg live tom waits
    recording the other day. wheeeee!

By patrick on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 02:39 pm:

im so glad you found that link spidey. i need that.

say, when letterman asks about the family.....does Waits have kids? Is he married to someone notable? Letterman asked that as if its a given we know something, which maybe i don't.

By Spider on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 02:50 pm:

He's married to Kathleen Brennan, who co-writes his songs. They have 2 or 3 kids.

By Spider on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 02:53 pm:

+Tom, 3 kids

I feel so lame for using that as my source, but I have to be quick.

By patrick on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 02:53 pm:

never heard of her.

By Spider on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 02:54 pm:

He's also notorious for lying to the press about his family (their names, for example, and what his wife used to do before they met), so maybe that's why Letterman asked.

Or, maybe he was amused that someone like Tom was somebody's dad.

By drpy on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 02:54 pm:

i wonder what it's like to get a good talking-to by tom waits.

By patrick on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 03:00 pm:

not a lame source at all spider. that website is fantastic.

i would imagine droop its similar to chewing sand paper.

By Kallliope on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 03:49 pm:

mannn....

i wish i could call him daddy....

By Spider on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 04:08 pm:

He is...unexplicably attractive, isn't he?

By Spider on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 04:19 pm:

Hmmm...maybe "oddly compelling" would be a better description.

By drpy on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 04:34 pm:

his friends think he's ugly. he's got a masculine face. he don't need no make-up: he's got real scars, hair on his chest, and he looks good without a shirt.

By patrick on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 05:05 pm:

he's pretty horrific looking, physically speaking...but the rest of him by far overshawdows that.

Aside from his film cameos ive never seen him chat, casually, like he did with Dave. He gave me a good chuckle, with Im grateful for right now.

By droopy on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 05:11 pm:

i liked "they all liked me...at the dump."

i was just checking out the tom waits selections at amazon uk. the brits seem to think he's one of the few good things about american. i found out that rod stewart covered another waits tune - "tom traubert's blues" from the first waits album i ever bought - and it was it was a hit in england.

By patrick on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 05:23 pm:

i wish i could share this excerpt from that H.Miller book im reading in which he goes into depth about how America pisses away everything gold in terms of artists, that its all business here as opposed to Europe in general. In Henry's case in particular, America pretty much threw him away simply because of the "morality" of his books...which is completely irrelavent to the brilliance of Miller. He was undoubtedly more popular in Europe than here. I was perusing the site of the H.Miller Library website....you should check it out if you are fine. Im fortunate enough to have visited the actual library.

i should shut up as Im totally butchering the point of his essay...

By Dougie on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 06:31 pm:

Tom Traubert's Blues is on Rod's Unplugged album. He does a nice job of it. I just can't deal with Tom Waits' voice -- Rod's and Elvis Costello's voices are one thing -- Tom Waits' is entirely another.

By Christopher on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 06:53 pm:

I just downloaded both CD's...I love my pirated music. Don't worry though, I plan on buying both as soon as my corner music store gets them in. I believe in supporting the Artists, as well as local business (besides, the freaks that work there get me high from time to time).

"Gods away on business" is very bizarre.

By Spider on Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 08:44 pm:

That song makes me laugh out loud each time I hear the second "for a buck!" in the first verse.

I think his sense of humor is adorable. "Chocolate Jesus" kills me despite myself. I always giggle at "pour him over ice cream for a nice parfait." I can't help it.

I was reflecting during my last listen through "Alice" that only he could get away with singing these songs....they're very sentimental. I couldn't stand them if they were sung by anyone else...his voice balances out the syrup perfectly.

By sarah on Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 10:44 am:

Tom Waits is being featured/interviewed on NPR's Fresh Air program today.

here it's on at 3 p.m. and i have to miss it because i have to train elementary school teachers how to use Fetch. heh.

if you miss it too, the transcipts will be archived somewhere at http://www.npr.org .

By droopy on Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 10:56 am:

thanks, sarah.

By Spider on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 12:11 pm:

This weekend, I listened to Tom Waits' "Alice" for the first time in nearly a year (gosh, it doesn't seem that long). The album hadn't stuck with me when I bought it last May -- I thought it was too homogenous, with too many slow, sappy love songs.

I'm revising my opinion. The first song, also named "Alice," is a nearly perfect song for its type -- smoky, bluesy, depressed-mood love song about someone long gone. It has the great line "How does the ocean rock the boat? / How did the razor find my throat?" that nails the atmosphere in one breath.

"Lost in the Harbour," "Fish & Bird," "Barcarolle," and the instrumental "Fawn" all have this incredible warmth and affectionate glow running all through them.

"Everything You Can Think" (with the line that makes me laugh out loud every time I hear it -- "Your eyes are fish on a creamy shore"), "Poor Edward," "Kommienezuspadt," "Table Top Joe," and "We're All Mad Here" are all as bizarre as you'd expect from Tom Waits. He likes the idea of isolated body parts taking on lives of their own, doesn't he? ("Eyeball Kid," now "Table Top Joe")

Whoever plays the clarinet and saxophone on this album are amazing. Stewart Copeland plays on one or two tracks.

You can tell the album is a soundtrack, but it's still real good, and I'm glad I found it again after these many months.

Amen.

By dave. on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 02:39 pm:

eh. . .i dunno.

i finally got the notwist album, shrink, i ordered from amazon. actually from a zshop. i didn't do it on purpose, i just didn't notice it wasn't being purchased directly from amazon. took a month to get to me and . . . well . . . it's ok, i guess. not near as good as neon golden. some of the same type of sound but also a kind of mediocre modern jazz side that i haven't been able to embrace.

i'm going through another musical drought.

By patrick on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 03:22 pm:

btw way dave...ive been meaning to thank you for the mp3s of Becks latest and the lali puna.....two of my favorite albums that i since bought.

actually beck's latest if probably one my favorite albums ive heard in a long time.

By Spider on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 04:19 pm:

Is that his really mellow album? (I don't mean "Mellow Gold"). I think a friend of mine was playing that in the car recently -- I liked it too.

Dave, did I ask you about Fischerspooner? My brother burned me their first (only?) album, and I like it.

I really, really like contemporary bands that employ the cheesiest '80s Atari sounds as the primary stock of their electronic library -- Fischerspooner, Trans Am, the Faint... It makes the music sound so trashy, but in the best way.

By Spider on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 04:20 pm:

AUGH! PERIOD! PARENTHESIS! WRONG!

By patrick on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 04:26 pm:

is trans am still around?

they lost me after their 2nd and 3rd albums.

yes...his really mellow album. the songs are really fucking right on....best writing yet, i think, from the Beckster.

By Lapis on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 04:27 pm:

I bought Waits' "Beautiful Maladies" and I love it.

Especially "Singapore".

By Spider on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 04:40 pm:

I actually don't know if Trans Am are still around. They live(d) right here in Silver Spring, and I haven't heard or seen hide nor hair of them since I've moved here.

My favorite song on "Beautiful Maladies" is "Hang On St. Christopher," taken from "Frank's Wild Years."

Damn, now I can't wait to go home and dig out some more Tom Waits.

It's the same with men as with horses and dogs -- nothing wants to die.

By patrick on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 04:44 pm:

my wife screams at me when i play Small Change because of the ultra slow start to it....brings her down....and in general most Waits boggs her down.

Rain Dogs on the otherhand...being a predominantly upbeat album, she's ok with....but unless we're going to sleep or sticking tootpicks in our eyes....she can't stand waits....he sucks the life right out of the room to her.

By Dougie on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 04:45 pm:

"It's the same with men as with horses and dogs -- nothing wants to die."

Only if they haven't been reading the political threads here.

By Spider on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 04:47 pm:

:)

By dave. on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 05:16 pm:

there's more on the way, patrick. well, not "on the way" but on the way to being on the way, y'know? i hope you aren't waiting and waiting like i was with my notwist album, and that you'll find the delivered goods more satisfying than i did.

i also hope to stumble across more good shit like lali puna very, very soon.

spider, i think you did mention it and i remember seeing it now that you re-mentioned it. i'll keep an eye out. did you hear the new autechre yet? try to find 'xylin room' on gnutella. i still think their best song is 'zeiss contarex' even though that's more like a gescom song than an autechre song. i need boards of canada to bust out another album today.

gimme gimme gimme.

By patrick on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 05:40 pm:

no dave, im not waiting impatiently at all.

in fact, im too busy with poopy, gasey babies, trying to impliment an early morning jogging-regiment and enjoy some good hockey thats been on the teley lately to wait impatiently.

on top of the cooking and cleaning.

i barely have a chance to push play on the cd player.

By eri on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 06:22 pm:

Awwww....welcome to parenthood!

Tom Waits brings me down too. I don't know what it is about his music that does it, though. I just feel down and cold when I listen to it, but who knows, maybe I am just being weird!

By Spider on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 12:15 pm:

It's dreamy weather we're on. You waved your crooked wand along an icy pond with the frozen moon. A murder of silhouette crows I saw, and the tears on my face and the skates on the pond, they spell Alice. I disappear in your name, but you must wait for me. Somewhere across the sea, there's a wreck of a ship. Your hair is like meadowgrass on the tide, and the raindrops on my window and the ice in my drink....baby, all I can think of is Alice. Arithmetic, arithmetock, turn the hands back on the clock. How does the ocean rock the boat? How did the razor find my throat? The only strings that pulled me here are tangled up around the pier. And so a secret kiss brings madness with the bliss, and I will think of this when I'm dead in my grave. Set me adrift, and I'm lost over there. And I must be insane to go skating on your name, and by tracing it twice, I fell through the ice....of Alice. There's only Alice.

This song will not leave my head.

BTW, re Trans Am (see above) -- they are still around. They're playing at the Black Cat in DC this month.

By dave. on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 01:46 am:

i got der fischerspooner.

i haven't listened yet.

jawohl.

By dave. on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 02:24 am:

nah, i don't like that.

bad bad bad.

bad like bad plaid.

bad like new order.

glad i didn't pay for it. or at least pay fischerspooner.

is your brother gay?

By Spider on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 10:06 am:

Hehe, no, my brother isn't gay. He just likes Eurotrash music.

By Spider on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 10:39 am:

Wait -- you don't like track #2 and #4? I think they're kinda pretty.

By dave. on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 11:41 am:

y'know, anna nicole smith has had moments where she looked kinda pretty. at the end of the day, she's anna nicole smith.

i was hoping for more of a ladytron-esque sound. that's about as gay disco as i can go.

By Spider on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 12:11 pm:

Ouch.

Hey, my brother likes Ladytron, too. But he's neither gay nor Eurotrash, himself. And the music his own band makes is all organic -- bass, guitar, piano, and drums.

By dave. on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 12:17 pm:

i even struggle with the song "pilot" by the notwist. proof that you can nearly destroy a decent song by throwing an erasure riff in it.

By kazoo on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 12:18 pm:

My brother is in a band. We are going to see them play tonight.

My baby brother! In a band! So cute!

By kazoo on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 12:20 pm:

erasure!

(insert picture of ms. kazoo gagging)

(still choking)

excuse me, I have to clean this up.

blech.

By Spider on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 12:28 pm:

I only know one Erasure song -- their cover of "Too Darn Hot."

But I LOVE Depeche Mode.

How can I love both Depeche Mode and Tom Waits? I couldn't tell ya. There's no accounting for taste.

By kazoo on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 12:58 pm:

I own an erasure album. I got it through one of those record club things and kept it to get back at people who would ask me to make mix tapes for them. I love making mixes, but I have a certain way that I do it. I have to actually get in the mood to make it for a specific person, otherwise I don't get really excited about it.

If someone asked me to make them a tape of a specific kind of music that I own, that's different. But when I was in High School and College, when someone asked, "Hey, could you make me one of those mixes you like to make so much" I'd get annoyed. So, I had this collection of stupid stuff that I acquired over the years and I would make the mix out of those so they wouldn't ask me for any more music.

Sometimes that would backfire though, "OH MY GOD! THE PET SHOP BOYS! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU HAVE THIS!"

By Ruff justice on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 10:37 am:

pet shop boys used to use small furry annimals as sex toys.[dont try this at home]

By sarah on Wednesday, June 9, 2010 - 09:09 pm:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact