3 new CDs

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: 3 new CDs
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 11:32 am:

Last night I went to Borders and bought a road map of the US and Canada, John Galworthy's "The Forsyte Saga," and three CDs: The Afghan Whigs' "Uptown Avondale" EP, Neko Case's "Blacklisted," and Tori Amos' "Scarlet's Walk."

I had given up on Tori Amos after "Under the Pink," but I felt strangely compelled to get this. It's surprisingly good. Really mellow, and mature. Her lyrics are still annoying, but not as bad as I remember, and frankly I haven't been paying attention to them because the melodies and instrumentalization are really pretty and attention-grabbing. There are a lot of guitars and non-piano instruments going on.

I got the Neko Case because I had been in a miserable mood yesterday and put on her ...last album whose name I forget... last night, and sang along while I did the dishes, and boy howdy, did my mood improve. So I figured I could use some more Neko Case around the house.

The Afghan Whigs purchase was also whimsical. That was like the only mainstream release of theirs that I was missing, and I saw it and had to have it. It's 6 songs, five of which are covers of Motown/old R&B songs.

The best thing about the Whigs are their covers. Weird, totally out of left field covers. They've done Hole's "Miss World," for example. My favorite is "If I Only Had a Heart" from the Wizard of Oz -- Greg Dulli makes it into a psychopath's torch song. Awesome.

Anyway, I'm happy now. I hadn't bought any new music in a while, and I was suffering.

By Spider on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 11:34 am:

Oh, I meant to ask: What new CDs have you bought recently, and would you recommend any of them to me?

By Dougie on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 11:39 am:

Yeah, I think I mentioned last week -- Bowie's Heathen, Mark Knopfler's Ragpicker's Dream, and Aimee Mann's Lost in Space. I'd recommend them all.

By Spider on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 11:46 am:

What's Mark Knopfler like? I've never heard of him.

By patrick on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 12:25 pm:

over the weekend, for my birthday, a friend gave me Richard Pryors "Supper Nigger" CD. I recommend it.

By semillama on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 12:32 pm:

Mark Knopfler leads Dire Straits, if that helps,
    spider.

I recently acquired, through gifts and
    purchase:

Miles Davis - On the Corner
    The Les CLaypool Frog Brigade - Purple
    Onion (four out of five stars, i recommend it)
    Drums and Tuba- Mostly Ape
    Danu- Think before you thing & All things
    considered (impressive traditional celtic stuff,
    best i've heard since Solas).

I intend on picking up the new Audioslave
    soemtime soon.

By Gee on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 12:36 pm:

I haven't bought a new CD in a long time.

but on the topic of music, after I found a bunch of spooky Halloween songs, do you know which song I found to be one of the spookiest?

the theme song for "Knight Rider". really! in a good way!

By Gee on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 12:37 pm:

go back to what you were talking about now. pretend I'm not even here.

By patrick on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 12:43 pm:

that should "Super" not "Supper"

neeeeeed more coffee.

By J on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 12:59 pm:

Well,is it a boy or a girl Patrick?

By trace on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 02:03 pm:

Yes, do tell

By Spider on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 04:27 pm:

OK, I am totally digging my new Neko Case CD. It's a lot more melodic and pretty than the last album (which is called "Furnace Room Lullaby"). You don't really notice how unmelodic those songs are until you sing them a capella at the top of your lungs while driving west on I-50 on a rainy night. It's true.

But these songs are neat and filled with interesting chords, and Neko's voice is softer, and the whole song package is just more interesting. However, they don't sound like they'd be as fun to sing in the car. Ah, I'll take the tradeoff.

By kazoo on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 07:28 pm:

Mark Knopfler also did the music for The Princess Bride. I'm still working through all the CDs that sem sent me. I tried to listen to everything at least once before repeating anything. That didn't work.

By Spider on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 09:57 am:

I bought a CD by a band called Clem Snide this weekend. They had been recommended to me as being a "dark folk/country band," and I was hoping that they'd be kin to the Handsome Family or someone like that.

They're not. Well, they're *sorta* dark, but not much. One of their songs is used as the theme song to the TV show, "Ed." But they're still pretty good.

They have one song that's mostly instrumental (pretty and dissonant), and then at the end, the man sings, "You're so evil / and I'm so good / I'll make it up to you some day." The end. It's neat.

Don't be afraid of your anger
    I will eat it with mustard and wine
    The crumbs in your hair
    You should shampoo with care
    If it's tearless I'm sure it would say

Don't be afraid of the language
    I know you don't mean what you say
    Your tongue can get sharp
    But it's soft in my mouth
    And there's towels and ice we could use

Don't roll your eyes at me slowly
    I know I was acting the slut
    When I loosened my belt
    And said I knew how you felt
    From a book that explained it away

Don't be afraid of your anger
    I'll eat it with mustard and wine
    And lick the blood from your lip
    And the bruise from your hip
    When this pillowfight gets out of hand.

By sarah on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 10:49 am:

i love Clem Snide! i saw them last year here in austin at south by southwest. they were great - and i think they're coming again this year.

i would call them an even mix between melancholy and silly. they're big on irony. they're country music tinged indie sensitive white boy music. they always perform wearing coats and ties, or powder-blue tuxedos.

my favorite clem snide songs are Messiah Complex Blues and African Friend.

By Spider on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 11:01 am:

"an even mix between melancholy and silly."

Yes!

Which album(s) are those songs on?

My CD insert (the CD's in my car and I can't remember the title) had a picture of all the band members, and there was one old bearded guy in there.... do you remember what he played? From the way the photo and band member list are laid out, it looks like he should be the singer, but I can't imagine that voice coming from that face.

By Spider on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 11:05 am:

(The old guy looks very nice, though. I didn't mean to slight him.)

By sarah on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 11:20 am:

By Spider on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 12:40 pm:

What a cool site! (both of them)

I got my CD from my car....it's called "The Ghost of Fashion."

By sarah on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 10:34 am:

has anyone heard the new stephen malkmus album, lib pig?

HOLY HELL is it good. totally transcendent. huge sound, great guitar work, long story-telling melodic songs. makes me feel like i'm stoned.

By Meili on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 12:05 pm:

I'm going with a friend to see and hear Morcheeba tonight--can't wait!

By agatha on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 01:22 pm:

mmmmm. morcheeba. they rule.

By sarah on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 04:33 pm:

hey spider. i saw clem snide this past saturday night. (i was able to catch one night of sxsw music.) i paid $25 to see them, and then apples in stereo, followed by camper van beethoven.

kevin and i both agreed that clem snide did not perform as well as they did the year before. but they are still great live.

camper was brilliant. they did everything in their power to completely alienate the audience. people actually started wandering out half-way through. david lowery is so talented - great song writer, great guitarist, great singer.

apples and stereo really stole the show though. they rocked the house so hard, people were going nuts.

before that show i got to see most of the set of Her Space Holiday from austin. they're the next spoon, i think. there's a link to an mp3 of them at:
    http://www.sxsw.com/music/showcases/pages/5100.html

By Spider on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 04:38 pm:

Sarah, this reminds me -- I have that CD I burned for you sitting on my desk at home. I'll mail it to you tomorrow, I promise. (Don't I suck??)

I didn't know Camper van Beethoven were still around! That's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

The Apples in Stereo do indeed rock. Them and Neutral Milk Hotel -- the best of the Elephant 6 bands. (Uh, I'm not damning them with faint praise, am I? I really like the Elephant 6 collective.)

By Rowlf on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 05:39 pm:

Cds I got recently:

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - good, slow and dirgy, a little bit like Soundtrack of Our Lives I think

AFI - Sing the Sorrow - they really stepped up on this one, having mediocre releases before.. Should become a big band

Reggie and the Full Effect "Under the tray" - funny somewhat punk/emo but with a sense of humor instead of that faux emotion rock that Elliott and other emo bands plunder

By patrick on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 05:44 pm:

BRMC are good.

Soundtrack of our Lives annoys me for no particular reason.

BRMC recently relocated from CA to the UK to find their shoegazer roots.

fuckers. I never got a chance to see them live.

very JMC in my mind, and i dig em.

By patrick on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 05:50 pm:

speakign of shows, kazoo, im getting an updated schedule of my buddy's band....you and sem gotta see them, i think you'll dig em

By kazoo on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 06:02 pm:

thanks patrick.

By patrick on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 11:57 am:

kazoo:

I asked my friend when they are playing again, this is what he said, why i love him, and why you shoudl go see him, they are talented as fuck and smartass mothers as well.

"We do have a cd release at Eyedrum in the ATL on Sat. May 10. I booked Chris Swartz' project, Broken Symmetry as opener. It's Chris and two other guys, all on electronics. I saw them in Athens at a bookstore/coffee house called
    XRAY cafe last week. They were huge. Big ominous Tangerine Dream krautrock ambience. I also have some friends from Athens, Krater Trio to open as
    well. They are a free jazz trio. Sax, gtr. and drums. They are heavy but sound like desert music too. It should be quite a show. Jim is doing films for us. We are doing the East Coast tour in June. NC, Virginia, Boston, NY, hopefully a full week or more. Travis is getting married in Ga. a week from Saturday. We get to go to the wedding and then leave straight for a Blacklove gig in NC.
    Mitch has a new two piece all electronic (even electronic drums) band called Tenth To The Moon. It is a real progression for him, and really stylin'. It's like Kraftwerk and Gary Numan, but more deranged. Doug from Broken Symmetry is the other member.We hosted some friends from Houston, a band called Chicken Hawk, a couple of weekends ago. They are a two piece also. Two pretty young girls that dress as unicorns and play dark minimal art punk with a drum machine. They spent
    the weekend with us. The singer/guitaristMichelle brought her boyfriend Ralf. He's about ten years older than me and is originally from Cleveland.
    He played in a band in the 70's called The Lepers, they put out a punk 45 and used to open for Pere Ubu alot. He has played in shitloads of
    Houston punk noise groups like Painteens, Culturcide, and his new group Swarm Of
    Angels which sounds like Tom's stuff but with no wave songs sort of like Contortions."

you should go see them. smoke a fatty and go. it will be good. i promise.

By kazoo on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:10 pm:

It sounds good to me. If things go as planned that will be right after I finish my work and right before I go to Ohio for the summer. I've been wanting to check out Eyedrum.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact