Iron Maiden

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: Iron Maiden
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rowlf on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 06:35 pm:

By semillama on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 07:29 pm:

I cna't frickin' wait! Kazoo and I are going to that show this Saturday!

Did I ever mention how Iron Maiden is my favorite band of all time?

OF ALL TIME.

The stage looks quite entertaining. Still, I don't think they will ever top their stage for the Powerslave tour, which had an egyptian theme and featured Eddie as a mummy, both the one that comes out and walks around on stage, and one humungous one (~4 stories) that came out of the backdrop.

I've seen them once about 12 years ago, but I have never seen Motorhead, who I dig immensely. I'm looking forward to them. Dio, eh, okay. If he doesn't have a dragon he slays with a laser sword, i could care less.

By MISTER PINK BUNNY on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 07:54 pm:

ILL SEE Y,ALL THERE.

By eri on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 11:43 pm:

I am so jello. The closest thing I have ever come to a rock concert was Styx/Kansas back when Spunky and I first started dating. I have not had the pleasure of seeing any of the bands I really like play live :(

By Skooter on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 02:49 pm:

I had an Iron Maiden moment worth sharing recently. At a recent all ages show in the twon where I live, about six of my really old friends, that I met when I was like 18, all started jamming to the PA speakers that were playing "666, the number of the beast."
    We were all singing and sticking our devil horns in the air. In the movie "SPUN", the opening credits are played over and acoustic slowed down version of the same song. It's a wonderful cover. I must say that Sem has taught me respect for Maiden and Motorhead, but DIO? Eh... Now DEVO, that's something else.

By semillama on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 04:42 pm:

Dio's part of the package.

Still, it will be a "south park" moment when he whips out "Holy Diver".

Yesterday I went out and picked up "Visions of the Beast" for $16. It's every single Iron Maiden video ever made, plus extras. I also got Manu Chao's "Clandestino" (this guy is awesome), the new Killing Joke (with Dave Grohl on drums - the guitar sounds a lot like Geordie's side project, The Damage Manual) and the new Superjoint Ritual, which is like the musical equivalent of King Kong with a hard-on.

By heather on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 05:14 pm:

i think when i was a little kid i had fantasies
    about an iron maiden record cover that i saw
    at a garage sale. creepy.

i'm gonna try to find an image.

By heathre on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 05:42 pm:

woo

and whoa

i musta been wrong...certainly didn't find
    anything like what i was thinking

what the hell was that?

and from now on i'm just leaving the spelling
    of my name however it comes out, no
    corrections...i just am.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 05:55 pm:

I missed Dio and Motorhead.. eh... Motorhead would have been cool, but Dio fucking blows.

By Skooter on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 06:00 pm:

I like Superjoint. That even makes Pantera sound wussy. Have fun at Maiden. I'd love to hear that new Killing Joke. I didn't hear anything about Grohl playing drums on ti until last week. Was he keeping it a secret?

By Rowlf on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 06:37 pm:

I remember... back when I was younger... the salad days...

my grandparents live in new Brunswick, which is kinda like Tennessee North, in many ways. Somewhat hickish, but only to a degree. The big cities aren't very big, and its a pretty religious area. My entire family being among them.

I was stuck in New Brunswick, and since they only had like 5 channels (old people dont get cable) and one of them was the pay per view channel, I watched two things over and over again for two weeks as I did my little drawrerings...

one was this mini-movie, made by World Championship Wrestling (WCW), which was owned by Ted Turner. They decided that to promote their PPV instead of building it up on TV they'd just make this little movie about the stars in the main event. Sting and the British Bulldog are playing with little kids on the beach and then Vader, Psycho Sid Vicious and Cheatum the Midget show up and blow up their boat. Its all very cinemetic and crappy. Then they go to Vader's White Castle of Fear and they sign the match, Sting and bulldog vs. The Masters of the Powerbomb. It was awful...

The other thing I remember is the Iron Maiden live PPV commercial, and it too ran around 12 minutes, featuring lots of bad backstage interviews and walking around, and shots of the crowd chanting the 'OooooooOOOooooO" parts at the beginning of Fear of the dark. It too was awful, but because we never got to hear any music from the band, all summer I had the one line in my head over and over again...

FEAR OF THE DARK
    FEAR OF THE DARK
    I HAVE A CONSTANT FEAR THAT...
    (cutaway to Bruce Dickinson)
    "Buy now, only 29.95. Cheers."

By semillama on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 08:51 pm:

Iron Maiden is the sole reason I learned to play guitar.

When I haven't been playing for a while, it's the first stuff I come back to when I pick up the guitar again. I absolutely love their melodic style and really wish I could write stuff like that.

By semillama on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 03:54 pm:

Hey rowlf, when you got to the show, how long after the show started was it? Kazoo couldn't get out of work and may not make it until after 9pm (show is listed as 7pm). She really wants to see Motorhead, and it would be nice to know how slim her chances are.

By Rowlf on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 06:10 pm:

Motorhead went on at 6:45 (doors were supposed to open at 7), Dio went offstage at 8:45, and Maiden started at around 9:20

By semillama on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 07:16 pm:

damn those punctual rockers!

By semillama on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 10:52 am:

So, Kazoo got to come for the entire show after all.

It was AWESOME. What a great show. Motorhead opened and it was fantastic. Lemmy is the true king of rock. They played (not in order) Overkill, Ace of Spades, Dr. Rock, Metropolis, We are Motorhead, and a few others.

Dio was pretty entertaining as well, although I only knew a few of the tunes, such as Rainbow in the Dark and Holy Diver. He kept flipping the "devil horns" or hand of rock, which was hilarious. The high point was the drum solo, which in the last part the dude paused, the 1812 Overture came on the PA and he played the rest of the solo along with the music.

Iron Maiden was in top form. It was so great. I sang along with nearly every song, and so did pretty much the rest of the people there (i don't know how many thousands but at least three i would estimate). The opening was the lights went out and the vocal sample from the beginning of Number of the Beast played and everyone went nuts. It was a great show for Kazoo because they played stuff from all across their catalog, not just concentrating on stuff from a new album. They played Revelations, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Fear of the Dark, The Clansman, The Clairvoyant, The Wicker Man, Die With Your Boots On, Run to the Hills, 2 Minutes to Midnight, The Trooper, Iron Maiden, and I think more, but I can't quite recall.

Very positive, very upbeat show. Bruce, the singer, went on a rant about how corporate rock sucks and music corporations and MTV are only interested in a band for two albums. Then he said that Iron Maiden had been going for 25 years without any of that support, and that all their success was solely because of the support of their fans. He also said before they played a new song that if anyone had broken the venue rules and brought in recording equipment, to be his guest to put it up on the internet, but if you liked their new album, to please buy it. He also ragged on the security guards who tried to keep people from getting closer to the stage. Pretty awesome show all in all.

By Rowlf on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 11:22 am:

he made all of those same rants at the Toronto show as well

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact