A Perfect Circle

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: A Perfect Circle
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 03:28 pm:

I remember some of you saying you didn't like the newest A Perfect Circle album, but I downloaded it over the weekend and haven't been able to stop listening to it yet. I think it's fantastic. The only weak track (not counting the "Lullaby" throwaway) is "The Outsider," which isn't even that weak -- to me it's just yet another Maynard rant against the shallow. Yawn. But it's still a well-written song.

The musicianship is talented, the music is pretty, the lyrics are intelligent... this is just a good album all around.

Plus, "Pet" sounds like something Vernon Schillinger would write, and I'm down with that.

By Spider on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 03:33 pm:

BTW, I think the male-on-male sexual menace Maynard Keenan churns out ("4 Degrees," "Pet," "Stinkfist"...any others?) is interesting and entertaining -- are there any other bands that write songs like this?

By dave. on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 03:55 pm:

i thought it was very unremarkable. boring and not even in a good way. it's conceited, like everything maynard does.

you got a guy who needs to tell people what he thinks. then you got a bunch of people who need to hear what he thinks. i'm not one of them.

By Spider on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 04:05 pm:

I see what you're saying, but I don't see that as a point against him. Everyone's got their favorite subjects. Most people sing about love; he likes to sing about sheep.

And anyway, don't all writers and musicians need to tell people what they think? That's why they publish instead of leaving their work in their desk drawers, right?

I don't find it at all boring, but then again, I've been listening to Philip Glass and John Parish for pretty much 3 weeks straight, so my standards have probably been lowered.

By kazu on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 04:13 pm:

Probably ;)

I just put on Philip Glass--the only thing I really like by him, his Violin Concerto with Gidon Kremer on Violin. (Wiener Philharmoniker, Christoph von Dohnányi)

By Skooter on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 05:12 pm:

I love that new APC record. It's soulful and angry without being screaming, and it's a CONCEPT record...which is a rare beast indeed.
    The musicianship on the whole record is outstanding.
    It's one of my new favorites and certainly kicks the shit out of the Strokes or the Hives or whatever candy ass "new rock" shit there is out right now. P.S. The darkness rulez!

By dave. on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 05:16 pm:

yeah. i just don't like him on a gut level. attempts at rationalizing it collapse under their contradictions and yet i remain opposed to maynard.

i fucking hate that sonofabitch.

By Rowlf on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 06:01 pm:

Spider, go on Kazaa and download "Rev. 2020" by Puscifer, from the Underworld soundtrack...

its Maynards other side project...

it really exposes APC and the last Tool album for all their weaknesses...

Tool albums and even the first APC album to an extent had an up and down to them, peaks and valleys of different speeds and types of emotion and aggression. Since Lateralus both Tool and APC are just one big flatline all the way across the whole album, with maybe one or two shining moments... listening to each song on its own you can say "hey thats good", but when I've heard them in the context of the album they've put me to sleep. i sold a bunch of CDs over the weekend and was considering APC's new one to sell but decided against it because I thought I'd give it another chance.. I couldnt even make it halway through without getting bored... I skipped ahead to listen to the Failure cover and then turned it off...

and put on Tomahawk's "mit gas" cd on instead. you should look for that. Do you like 90-94 era Faith No More or Mr. Bungle? This album has the old Tool vibe, with some good riffs and some really exciting moments, good lyrics that dont dwell on pseudospirituality and fake nature worship, and some amazing vocal and guitar work... seriously, pick that one up, or get some songs off the internet, particularly "birdsong", 'rape this day", "you can't win", "mayday" or "capt. midnight" and you'll see what I mean...

or you could try a couple songs from Isis off their "oceanic" album... its like Tool meets Godspeed You Black Emperor... their singer doesnt deliver like maynard does but they've successfully captured the feeling I used to get from Tool and run with it.

By Rowlfe on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 06:07 pm:

an accurate review of Isis from amazon.com

"The vocals could not be anymore appropriate for this album. The vocals almost act like an individual instrument itself on Oceanic and his harsh vocal delivery is powerful and full of emotion. I think if he did cleans on this, it just wouldn't stand out as much. The music on this cd is filled with great build ups, crippling crescendos, and moving clean passages. The drum sound on this album is huge and it also stands out very well. Isis has really outdone themselves this time around and I've listened to Neurosis, Mogwai and Godspeed, etc and while I do like Mogwai the most out of those I just mentioned, none of them seem to have captured the true essence of "brilliance" as Isis has with Oceanic. I'd also say that Tool doesn't hold a candle to Isis either, they're just pretentious mainstream heavy/post rock that appeals to pseudo intellectual Korn fans. An album like Oceanic is rare, it takes you on an ethereal journey that will leave you speechless. If you are a fan of great music in general, pick up this album from one of the only respectable bands to come out of Boston"

go Isis!

By Rowlf on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 06:10 pm:

oh, btw, I'm going to bet that if you do take my word and pick this up, the first listen you will not like the album. I know I didnt.

Dont let that scare you.

By Skooter on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 06:18 pm:

Okay. Now I've made the attempt not be haughty for a while, but it's about time to go out on a full time tangent.
    I really didn't like that comment about fake nature worship and psuedo spirituality.
    Who are you to judge?
    I'm getting to the point where every post I read on sorabji.com is just like any other post on the web, be it aintitcool.com etc.
    Somebody brings up something they are enjoying, then four other geeks come on and rip it.
    That sucks, it's gay, it's stupid, it's lame.
    Frankly I'm fucking sick of it.
    Nobody has anything positive to say.
    Ever.
    Are you a musician Rowlf? Or are you just a fan? If you fall into the latter catergory, then stop your goddamn whining.
    Lateralus is an amazing record. I saw these guys on tour and they blew my head off.
    I love Mike Patton too (he's my biggest influence). I play music, I study music, and am here to say that both tool and APC are great.
    I bet Sem would maybe back me up.
    Nobody ever has anything nice to say ever.
    Maybe that's why Mark doesn't want to do this page anymore.
    I understand.
    And I've about had it with phony people pretending that they are pagans on this page when they aren't (VV)
    And people who just like to bash religions as being fake or hokey (Rowlf).
    Nobody ever has anything nice to say.
    Neither do I anymore.
    This might be one of my last postings on sorabji.
    Be well.

By kazu on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 06:33 pm:

Calm down. Just because someone doesn't like the music you like, doesn't mean that they never have anything nice to say. In fact, Rowlfe went so far as to recommend and speak highly of other bands, as a way of moving the conversation forward. Dave does that a lot of the time as well.

And skooter, get off of your "I play music, I study music" highhorse. I take that personally. How would you like it if you said something about gender politics that I didn't agree with and shut you down because you don't "study" gender.

Where were you for the Outkast discussion? There was a lot of agreement there? And people have plenty of nice things to say, but how much fun would this place be if we all agreed. Just a day or so ago you were telling v.v. that if he couldn't stand the heat, to get out of the kitchen, and now you're yelling at others for posting intelligent dissent?

By dave. on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 06:35 pm:

skooter has sand in his vagina.

By Rowlf on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 06:42 pm:

"I really didn't like that comment about fake nature worship and psuedo spirituality.
    Who are you to judge?"

"Somebody brings up something they are enjoying, then four other geeks come on and rip it. "

and you can give a shit what everyone else thinks, or you can not give a shit. or you can listen to what the reasons are they dont like something and think about it again and figure out if they have a point,

which is what criticism is all about,

or you can run away and pout that someone saw or didnt see something that you didn't.

GEEZ...

Listen, sometimes I hate critics and when others are going to get mean about something I love. I think Alanis is amazing. I think Freddy Got Fingered was genius. I'm going to get shit on for thinking that way, and thats fine. Whatever. it can get frustrating, but whatever. I read pitchforkmedia.com all the time. Sometimes their reviews send me in a frenzy, like how they always bash the eels, and sometimes they aid me in apprectiation of something. other times they turn me towards something new. thats the nature of the beast and we're just going to have to deal with it because noone can escape criticism, because everyone's a critic.

Roger Ebert: Guy has some great interesting shit to say about some movies, but I dont think he knows shit about comedies, and he's a sucker for tearjerker crap. So what? Take it all with a grain of salt...

"And people who just like to bash religions as being fake or hokey (Rowlf). "

I tend to think being fake and hokey is a pretty good reason to bash a religion. I dont even see it as bashing. theres a differenc between bashing and questioning or criticism.

and for you to get this way after posting that the Strokes and the Hives are shit is just plain hypocritical. I dont care that you did, I've seen it done before and with some very valid reasons, but I dont go run away from a message board because Patrick thinks the Subsonics are better. I mean, why would I?

from the big brown dog to the little orange gopher, I say "check yo head." You could have taken my evil rant and tried to argue back the little things you like about the album, or you could have maybe got the Puscifer/Isis songs and enjoyed something new, but instead you get ready to pack your bags.

I implore you to stay and try this again. if you actually care that much about what people here say, don't just run away from a discussion... don't take it so personal. Noone here ever said you were stupid for liking the album. if thats what you're getting its all in your head...

and besides, if you run away all its going to do is further convince me I'm right, and I already have a big enough head.

By kazu on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 06:44 pm:

Isis. Rowlfe, if I find the vocals somewhat irritating...will I eventually get over that and learn to love them after a few listens? Because the music samples make me think it's something I need to check out.

By Rowlfe on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 06:48 pm:

kazu, yes. I bought it without hearing one song based on a recommendation from an indie paper I trust (exclaim! - exclaim.ca) that called it the metal album of the year...

the first time i played it was in the car with wisper, and i turned it off halfway through the first track, embarrassed, and tried to pass it off as 'not car music' to try and save myself further embarrassment and the torture of listening to the rest of the song...

later that evening I listened to it as i lied down and read, and while it took a few songs to get into it, halfway through i was hooked, and now I think its really math rock for metalheads, has way more in common with mogwai and godspeed and explosions in the sky than it does with hardcore or punk... kinda like neurosis.

and each time i listen to it it gets better and better... worth the effort to get into.

By Skooter on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 07:03 pm:

I'm having a lot of personal crisis right now. I don't know what else to say about it.
    I really enjoy some postings on here. I'm trying to not take it personally.
    I'm not on a high horse, but you wouldn't hear me spouting about gender politics. I dont know shit about it.
    I'm sorry, but this game is not quite as fun as it used to be.
    So call me a hypocrite if you want. Call me a liar or a sneak or a pussy.
    I'll always be around, but I guess maybe a more constructive approach would be....
    I wish that people (including myself) would try to find things that they enjoy instead of always ripping everything on here.
    It's like in Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back.
    "You are the ones who are the ball lickers. You fuck your mothers."
    Or as Soundgarden once said, "I know I'm headed for the bottom, but I'm riding you all the way."

By kazu on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 07:12 pm:

Gender politics--reproductive rights, domestic violence, rape, sexual harassment, single parenting, child support legislation--you don't know or have anything to say about these topics? I don't believe you.

In any case, I hope whatever kind of personal crisis you are going through passes. Take care of yourself and don't leave.

By TBone on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 07:19 pm:

Be well, Skooter.
    Stick around and you'll see that we really haven't been ripping on each other as much as you think.
    Mostly, we've just been ripping on V.V.
    I've got something positive to say: One of my favorite things about Thanksgiving/Christmas is the Wassail my mom makes. She came to visit me and my girlfriend and made some in my crock pot. I drank probably two crockpotfuls by myself.
    I paid attention this time so I can make my own.

By patrick on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 07:21 pm:

see how quiet and boring it gets if we put forth any serious effort to find a topic that we all agree on dood. i think perfect circle, maynard, tool et al is a total bore and im with rowlfie on the whole psuedo-spiritual shite that they put forth. so what. thats what i think. who cares? what, should i not comment? i wasnt going to until you got your sand in your cooter.

last night i was giving my mom shit because she didnt let me watch the simpsons because she wanted to watch some lame ass generic cop/crime/murder/lawyer shit on network television. you know the story, every fucking network has 1 or 7 in their lineup. the story ended up being about this woman, who's daughter was facing the threat of sexual abuse from a social worker who was handling her case and in essence controlled the mother and daughter's fate. he forced access to her daughter by threatening to take said daughter away. he told her "when you hear a knock at night, you know its me". well, coincidentally another friend came knocking one night, to bring food over. this woman freaked, woke her 5-6 year old daughter up, and in her hysteria, not knowing what to do jumped out the window with her daughter in her arms. I think the mom was abused as a kid or something, clearly a few screws loose. horrible horrible horrible story. a miserable, heartbreaking show, and I gave my mom extra shit for making us sit through that garbage when we could have been in a much better mood watching something colorful, lively and less generic.

im not sure where im going with this, and im doubtful I care, but as I recall, skooter pooter, you made a thread of your music and I, amongst others had some nice things to say.

calm down hoss.

By Rowlfe on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 07:25 pm:

"and I gave my mom extra shit for making us sit through that garbage when we could have been in a much better mood watching something colorful, lively and less generic. "

Simpsons was pretty good last night. better than it had any right to be anyway... Homer is still being treated wrong, and whoever the cartoon equiv of a dp is still cant come up with any creative camera angles, the writing is getting better...

thanks to Al Jean. bless him. I hope they burned Mike Scully as the traitor he is.

*hock*ptoui*
    I spit on Mike Scully

By Skooter on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 10:40 pm:

I really liked that simpsons. It was very weird.
    My crises mostly have to deal with my manic depression creeping in around me as the weather turns to 20 degrees and we don't get any natural sunlight unfiltered by cloud cover.
    Plus I didn't have running water for most of the day because of major construction on my house, that and a visit from the po-po's really made my day suck ass.
    But I'm taping Carnivale right now to watch tonight. I value it's symbolism.
    I just went and played pgan jungle drums with a friend and I feel much better now.
    If you give a shit, thanks for being supportive.
    "All you need is love"

By Zorba on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 12:50 am:

:)

By Zorba on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 12:52 am:

:)

By semillama on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 10:29 am:

"po-po's"????

Not having water in a UP winter SUCKS. plus S.A.D. can be especially killer there, when the CLOUD appears in October and doesn't leave until February.

For the Record:

Tool: I don't want to comment on any aspect of their spirituality, because I don't think you can really grasp it through that medium, plus MJK is fucking loony. I generally don't pay much attention to lyrics anyway, it's the music, and tool has never let me down.

APC: I could never get into this band very much. I keep trying to disassociate them as "Low-Carb Tool" to be able to figure out if they have something I like in the music, but I have a hard time of it. Plus there's another band out there that sounds just like them and that confuses me as well.

Alanis: I've already said everything I need to about THAT. ick.

I just finally picked up System of A Down's "Steal this Album" and I think it has some of their best songs on it. I also picked up the new Jane's Addiction and I am not impressed. Who stole Dave Navarro's balls?

And I missed the simpsons due to travel. Fucking US Airways.

By kazu on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 11:00 am:

Last night my brother referred to APC as "teeny bopper tool." I recommended Isis and Puscifer to him, although I'm wishing I hadn't and just picked up Oceania to give him for Christmas. Nevertheless, it feels good to be on the recommending end and I gave Rowlf credit of course.

By Spider on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 11:13 am:

Whoa, so much transpired after I left work yesterday.

Rowlf, I will download the Puscifer, Isis, and Tomahawk albums when I next visit my brother. (Hooray for high-speed cable connections!) Speaking of which, my brother had heard me listening to APC and got me to listen to this band called Dredg, saying they had a similar style. They're pretty good and the singer has a nice voice, but they lack the undercurrent of tension or scariness that I like from APC/Tool.

You're right: MJK is arrogant and unduly hard-assed, but that doesn't bother me. It's like Bono -- yes, he is egotistical and way melodramatic, but that's fine with me because I think there's a place for that in our musical landscape. I don't know if I'm explaining myself clearly. MJK's rabid anti-religion stance makes roll my eyes, as do the songs he's written in which he sneers at someone for being weak, but I appreciate that he's being himself up there, ya know? Plus, I like his voice, he's got a good ear for melody, his lyrics are coherent and intelligent (and he got points with me for the proper grammar of "everyone will have his day to die"), and he/his bands are creative and write songs that don't follow any formula but are innovative and unique (at least among their own discography). No two of their songs sound the same (unless it's done on purpose, like on Lateralus). Another plus: Tool has Danny Carey.

I don't think I'd ever go to one of their concerts because their fans scare me, and I probably wouldn't like MJK if I knew him personally, but I admire his talent and I'm glad he's producing music. Maybe others are more talented, more creative, more tolerant, less arrogant, whatever, but that doesn't detract from him. (IMO).

RE: annoying voices. I can take almost any voice as long as it doesn't sound like Geddy Lee's. I fucking hate that elfish squeal. My brother tried to get me into the Mars Volta, but one note out of that singer's mouth had me fumbling for the off button.

By Skooter on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 12:36 pm:

Po Pos= Cops. They came to look at my dog, the one with chronic dry eye. Somebody in the neighborhood complained that it looked that she had an infection that wasn't being maintained.
    Which is 100 percent bullshit.
    Still, I hate talking to the cops. Good thing I wasn't burning any rasta incense at the time.
    Bono is full of himself, but i've always been able to tolarate it. Maynard just strikes me as being very intelligent, but I'm not quite sure he's grounded in our reality.
    I know he's friends with Tori Amos, and she's a loony also who talks to fairies.
    I really like Mars Volta and At the Drive In, but I can understand why someone wouldn't.
    That SOAD record is off the heezy. I liked a few songs on the new janes record, but it doesn't have the same urgency as their old stuff. I felt the same way when I saw them live recently. It was fun, but it didn't have the sense of danger that I like my rock and roll to have.
    For the record, the most full of themselves rockers in my book are:
    Scott Stapp of Creed.
    Fred Durst of Limp Biscut.
    Celion Dion.
    May they burn in the pits of Sucktown.
    Amen.

By dave. on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 02:32 pm:

steal this album has some great songs.

sorry, dude. metallica are the most full of themselves rockers. "yeah, we are sellouts. we sell out night after night after night"

so does n-sync.

whoopteefuckingdoo.

By semillama on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 03:29 pm:

It tells you a lot about Metallica of today when you watch the MTV Idol special and note which bands are selected to perform Metallica covers.

By Spider on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 03:44 pm:

Which bands?

By dave. on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 04:20 pm:

By semillama on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 04:32 pm:

Everything but Korn totally sucked.

That includes Metallica.

By kazu on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 04:36 pm:

"MTV honored iconic thrash masters Metallica with performances and testimonials from a metal appreciation society that featured Sum 41, Avril Lavigne, Korn, Rob Zombie, Limp Bizkit, Lisa Marie Presley, Sean Penn and more superstars influenced by the band, its videos, and its music"

Lisa Marie Presley.

In a "metal appreciation" society.

Shoot me.

By Spider on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 04:42 pm:

What the -?

By Skooter. on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 04:44 pm:

I liked the Korn song too. I have the single. Hey, Sem did you ever get "St.Anger?" I really like what I've heard of it so far.

By eri on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 04:47 pm:

I agree with Spider....

Skooter, I don't know where you are at, but out here, once the weather starts warming up again, we have pagan/native american drumming circles once a month. I haven't been to this particular drumming circle, but a smaller version of it, with pagan drummers and native american drummers playing together around the bonfire, dancers, singers, whatever. If you're ever in the neighborhood (i.e. TX).

By patrick on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 04:57 pm:

nothing brings down a neighborhood like a smelly, crusty, patchooli-reaking drum circle.

By semillama on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 05:20 pm:

I have St. Anger, and I liked it in comparison to everything they've done since the black album, but I haven't listened to it for a while. It seemed a little too sloppy. Plus it has Bob Rock on it, and he's the DEVIL.

By Lapis on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 07:23 pm:

Hey, in some parts of town we've got Po' Po Po-Pos!

That was bad.

By Skooter on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 07:28 pm:

I live in upper Michigan. So I don't think I'll be getting to Texas any time soon.
    Patrick, that was a really lame comment about the drum circle.
    All it does it bring a lot of positive feelings to each involved.
    You really should put down the pipe and pick up the drum.

By patrick on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 07:53 pm:

oh for fucksake skooter i was joking.

HELLO, i've played quite a few drums (and circles) over the years.

By Nater on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 - 09:53 pm:

u r both so ghey.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 12:16 am:

"Who stole Dave Navarro's balls? "

I dunno, but he seems happy without them. Sick, really. I just saw him in a Mariah Carey video.

Spider, there is no puscifer album yet. just the one song on the underworld soundtrack and probably the mr. show song they did long long ago...

"My brother tried to get me into the Mars Volta, but one note out of that singer's mouth had me fumbling for the off button."

um, Cedric of Mars Volta sounds almost the same as the Darkness' high pitched squeal...

"Bono is full of himself, but i've always been able to tolarate it. "

Bono is more often than not the most pretentious man in rock, but he seems like he genuinely cares about what he gets involved in, and most of the time he can talk about his issues on the spot without preparation, which is more than I can say for a lot of other activism rockers.

Confession time.

I bought the new Korn CD.... i couldnt help myself... I have all their cds. When I was younger and angrier they were sorta therapeutic, and filled a hole that the other hard rock bands couldnt fill, the Helmet's, the Quicksand's, etc... and the other alternative bands were so sensitive, I wasnt getting it from them. With Korn I was hearing this juvenile rage I hadn't heard from a metal band before... sure there was always misogyny, homophobia, self-hate and misery in metal before, but with Korns first few albums it was different. After their big album, I still bought "issues", and it was genuinely dark, and with that I started thinking that even sellouts can make something honest like that... the album before that I thought was pretty dark too, even less poppy, even fewer singles, even though with more time the bands songs sounded even more the same than before, as they've really run out of riffs or any possible new ways to put a song together...

now with this new one I think its safe to say I'm all Korned out. I dont need the juvenile aggression hole-filling anymore, they're forcing themselves into it anyways, and the lyrics have moved on from bad expressions of their pain to stuff like "jump da fuck up" and that means its over... one of the songs on the album is over 10 years old, the only good part of it they've already used for 'need to' off their first album...

I knew they were always this way, below me, and that I shouldnt really like them. And I know that specifically over these last year and a half my tastes have make a divergent turn back to the indie/underground and further and further away from dumbass metal, but its still a little sad. I liked my occasional dumbass mook rock. One by one they're all (no korn pun intended) falling away from me. First Metallica sell out, Axl wont put out his record, Reznor has disappeared, Rob Zombie just isnt trying or is spreading his projects way too thin, Kid Rock's midget died, Tool have exposed themselves, and death metal doesnt really exist anymore, we've got this second wave of NWOBHM shit like Iced Earth that I just dont like - second rate Iron Maiden... it doesnt leave a whole lot left... Rammstein I can still listen to because I dont know what they're saying and thus cant eventually think they're retarded... Fear Factory sound more and more retarded each year. euro-metal like Lacuna Coil and Tiamat sounds good one day and bad on others...

So I'm sad. Its like when you go away to school and your friends from high school don't, and then years later you find you dont have much in common with them anymore...

*sigh*

So that leaves Mike patton, the few decent hardcore bands out there that didnt jump on a major label, and screamo like Alexisonfire. How come there arent any smart people making heavy albums?

So I cling to my Isis
    I cling to my Neurosis
    I cling to my Blood Brothers
    I cling to my Today is the Day
    I cling to Amen
    I cling to Fantomas
    I cling to the Dillinger Excape Plan

I also bought Screwdriver "mezcal head" today. Amazing disc. next week I'll hit the cheapie store and get "99th Dream" for 3.99

By wisper on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 01:06 am:

"MTV honored iconic thrash masters Metallica with performances and testimonials from a metal appreciation society that featured Sum 41, Avril Lavigne, Korn, Rob Zombie, Limp Bizkit, Lisa Marie Presley, Sean Penn and more superstars influenced by the band, its videos, and its music"

see, this is exactly why i try to tell kids not to get a tattoo until you're in your mid-twenties, because if i had the money (and balls) to do such a thing as a teen i would now have the biggest, ugliest fucking metallica logo on my back (or my arm, or my ass...) and i'd be going at it with the cheese grater EVERY DAY since that napster thingy.

it's pretty scary.

the fuckers.

see that episode of South Park about file sharing?
    yeah

By Spider on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 10:06 am:

"um, Cedric of Mars Volta sounds almost the same as the Darkness' high pitched squeal..."

Not to my ears, they don't. The Darkness' guy has a more operatic voice like Jimmy Page or Bono or somebody like that. The Mars Volta guy is Geddy Lee's hellspawn.

By Skooter on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 10:57 am:

First Metallica sell out, Axl wont put out his record, Reznor has disappeared, Rob Zombie just isnt trying or is spreading his projects way too thin, Kid Rock's midget died, Tool have exposed themselves, and death metal doesnt really exist anymore, we've got this second wave of NWOBHM shit like Iced Earth that I just dont like - second rate Iron Maiden... it doesnt leave a whole lot left... Rammstein I can still listen to because I dont know what they're saying and thus cant eventually think they're retarded... Fear Factory sound more and more retarded each year. euro-metal like Lacuna Coil and Tiamat sounds good one day and bad on others...

Yes, Metallica sold out, but they seem to be on the right footing again after years of mis-steps. The new bassist is the closest thing they are ever going to have to Cliff (RIP). And at least that aren't putting out any more Bob Seger covers.
    Axl- forget about it. He's like Brian Wilson, minus the talent. He'll never make another record.
    NIN has a new album coming out next year- Bleedthrough, it's supposed to be really raw and stripped down.
    I loved the Rob Zombie film, it will be interesting to see what happens to him as a filmmaker, since his records are like good horror film scores anyway.
    Fuck Kid Rock. Never ever had respect for him. Sem told me he used to get booed off the stage back in Oakland.
    Tool exposed themselves? To what? Were they nude in a magazine somewhere? They last album was so dense and amazing. Don't understand that comment at all.
    We still have Anthrax, Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, Chimera, Hatebreed, Kittie, System of a Down, Superjoint Ritual, Mesagguah (I know I spelled it wrong), Tomahawk, Fear factory is putting out a new record without Dino, so it's not all bad. OTEP and Sevendust are also really good as well as Black Label Society.
    I heard the new Maiden is great and Judas Priest is putting out an new album also.
    Even Alice Cooper just released a decent record, his first in about 10 years or so.

By semillama on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 12:09 pm:

The new Killing Joke is really fierce - Geordie's guitar tone just slays me. I'm intrigued by Arch Enemy as well. The Heavils are worth a listen.

I will admit to liking Korn myself, but I don't feel any real need to buy their new album or anything. I like a lot of the music, but I couldn't care less about the lyrics. But i've nvere been big on lyrics, although I've always enjoyed Iron Maiden's lyrics, just because they usually are interesting stories. Same for Primus. I have a hard time with lyrics that don't tell a story.

Dimebag and Vinnie from Pantera (officially dead, btw) have a new project coming out called Damageplan, which I hear is killer.

One thing I really wish for is for Prong to get back together, and also Godflesh. I'm still pissed off at Justin Broadrick for freaking out and disbanding Godflesh right before they started a US tour with Paul Raven and Ted Parsons as the rhthym section.

And there's always Motorhead!

"Kid Rock's midget died" - I shouldn't laugh but I have to. He was the best part of his show. (actually, I have to give props to his backing band, because they're really good)

By Spider on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 12:36 pm:

I....ummmm.....I kinda like Korn, too.

By semillama on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 01:09 pm:

Ok, my faith in the future of metal has just been restored.

After reading the last few posts, i sort of realized I haven't gotten into anything really new that has really tunred me on, like when I first heard Voivod or Godflesh. But I recall reading about some artists that people were just raving about, so I went to AMazon and checked out some song samples, and I got blown away by some groups.
    And I think that these groups will also restore Rowlf's faith in metal as well.

I'm talking about Devin Townsend and Strapping Young Lad, Coheed and Cambria and Mastodon. It's all i can do to keep from rushing out and buying all their albums right now. I feel a trip to Used Kids coming on...

I just finished listening to samples from Devin Townsend's latest album, Accelerated Evolution, and it was like a revelation, that's how good it is. It's so good, it's like your ears get a hard-on. From my limited hearing, Devin's solo work is more sweeping and vast than his stuff with Strapping Young Lad, which is very fierce and fast, like Fantomas with a little Judas Priest and Failure.

Now I'm all antsy to hear the whole albums by all these guys. Fuck!

By sarah on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 02:05 pm:

i just picked up the Drive By Truckers CD at Cheapo. holy hell they are fun. a little schticky on the half cheeky, half serious glorification of Southern White Trash Kulcher, but hey, i also adore the Black Crowes too, so that tells you sumpin. and the record is just straight up guitar wailin' rock n roll. dig it.

By Spider on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 03:48 pm:

When I was in Seattle, I saw ads for this band with a name like Drive By Truckers but not that...it was some allusion to trailer parks or trucking or something else in that vein.....the band is fronted by a woman... Anyway, I read a concert review of this same band in their local weekly paper and they sounded interesting. I wish to God I could remember their name.

By Spider on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 03:51 pm:

I should rephrase that: they sounded really interesting, and I very much want to find an album of theirs. But what the hell were they called?

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 06:35 pm:

"NIN has a new album coming out next year- Bleedthrough, it's supposed to be really raw and stripped down"

come on, you know it aint coming out next year. Reznor said his side project was coming out in 2001, but it still aint out... he said Prick's new album was coming out years ago, and it never did...

"Kittie"

I have the dubious (of if you look at it the other way, honor), of being able to honestly say I am the first person to ever play Kittie on the radio. I had a show back in 98 and had them on... my name is on the "spit" thank you list. Wisper hates them, which means I never get to listen to them... "Spit" and their s/t ep, well, I played them because I needed Canadian content and because I saw potential in them... after kinda embarrassing themselves lyrically on their first album, their second/most recent album "oracle" is legitimately good. they've become a full on death metal band, which is smart, because thats what they know. When I met them, they were still playing borderline respectable nu metal, just barely good enough to get signed. however when i spoke with them (specifically, the lander sisters, who are really in control of shit), they couldnt stop talking, in detail, about obscure death metal bands like Nasum and Benumb and what their favorite Celtic Frost songs were. i was floored. However they had never heard of Fear Factory, who were a big metal band. Very odd.

I got the OTEP promo cd for free from wispers sister, who works at a record store. Absolute garbage. ugh.

"I just finished listening to samples from Devin Townsend's latest album, Accelerated Evolution, and it was like a revelation, that's how good it is. It's so good, it's like your ears get a hard-on. From my limited hearing, Devin's solo work is more sweeping and vast than his stuff with Strapping Young Lad, which is very fierce and fast, like Fantomas with a little Judas Priest and Failure. "

...add Death and Fear Factory to the list and your description is complete. Devin Townsend is my road guard/favorite musician in the world. I even have the album he did with Vai.

The new SYL album isnt up to par with "city", but thats a hard task... its because he let his band have more input, and becuase Devins starting to stick more to one writing style, thus most of his projects are overlapping each other... Have you heard the Punky Bruster album? if you can, download "fake punk" - hilarious.

I met Dev's drummer Gene Hoglan when I was at the SYL show in Toronto back in May. Dude, he's fucking huge, Martin Hannett right before death huge. Fattest man I've ever seen in person. So at this shitty club where I saw Devin I watched from this extra platform they have directly above the stage... so if you were watching the show, I'm standing directly above Devin. The place was so hot that their keyboards stopped working from the moisture... And as I leaned over the side watching the show the sweat from my head dripped down onto Devin's big bald splotch... dudes got a skullet.

Listened to the new Korn again... on the first song, Jon sings "i fucking hate you", and its so unconvincing... compare that to Devin singing the same line on "SYL" off "heavy as a really heavy thing" and theres just no comparison...

the other thing about my Hevy Devy, sem, is that he's done so much that you dont get the same kick from the other albums you hear from him that you get when you first hear him. If you like Accelerated Evolution, I recommend you RIGHT THE FUCK AWAY go get the Infinity and Ocean Machine albums, they are so much better... Terria and Physicist are good too, just not as good as the others... if you do get "Terria", listen closely to the song "nobodys here", as when he's growling the chorus, he sounds like Oscar the Grouch.

By wisper on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 07:25 pm:

"Kittie... my name is on the "Spit" thank you list. Wisper hates them, which means I never get to listen to them"

all three of these statements are 100% true.

By wisper on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 07:41 pm:

"Devin Townsend is my road guard/favorite musician in the world."

Also true.
    he even made a sculpture in his honour once.
    Out of a globe and some marbles. In the shape of a giant ant.

i'm serious.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 11:21 pm:

By dave. on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 11:37 pm:

i wish i could enjoy music like i used to. it used to be the one thing i could rely on for a satisfying escape. i keep trying needing searching hoping to find something to blow me away.

HEY! would something just blow me away already?! i'm ready.

tick.

tick.

tick.

tick!

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 11:44 pm:

I think with every new cd i buy, with every download i make, I'm looking for "my new favorite band"

The Darkness are the closest I've been to that from a new band in a while

By jack on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 11:47 pm:

"HEY! would something just blow me away already?! i'm ready."

do you mean something musical?

or something = experience?

By kazu on Wednesday, December 3, 2003 - 11:58 pm:

I'm having a music-crisis too. I bug Sem about it all the time. It's only partly related to needing a new favorite band. I'm lucky, I know there is stuff out there for me...it's just a matter of finding it. None of my friends here have any good music that I haven't already heard. I didn't seem to have this problem when I was in Boston or in college and had roommates and friends with eclectic tastes in music.

Why don't you all live down the hall from me???

By kazu on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 12:08 am:

"My brother tried to get me into the Mars Volta, but one note out of that singer's mouth had me fumbling for the off button."

I just asked my brother what I should be listening to and he mentioned mars volta. He has no idea what to do with me.

By dave. on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 12:17 am:

yeah, jack. i'm really aching for something musical. i've found some really great stuff out there but it's the old diminishing returns dilemna. every new high reduces or dilutes future highs until it's just maintenance. maybe i just need to accept that i'm in maintenance mode. it's insane to continue doing the same thing and expecting different results.

on the mellow tip, the new ruxpin cd, "avalon", is really nice. also, i listened to the new walkmen cd at work today and i wasn't very offended at all. but i was busy and my attention was on other stuff. i think there's something to be said for music that doesn't offend you while you're doing other stuff but i'll leave it unsaid.

By dave. on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 12:34 am:

is mars volta that know us by the trail of dead, at the drive-in, warbly, man-child type vocals?

By Rowlfe on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 12:36 am:

well yeah, its the former singer of At the drive in, in all his fro'd glory

music is about the same, but with more progrock influence

By dave. on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 01:11 am:

ahh, i see.

By Spider on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 09:58 am:

When my brother and I were on our road trip, he played a CD by this band called Party of Helicopters in the car a lot. Have you heard of them? It's decent guitar rock like Modest Mouse, sort of, but the singer has a good voice and every song has this vocal effect where he sings on one track and then it's layered over with him singing the same notes but an octave higher. It sounds good. If you want a sample, download a song called "The Toucher."

I like the Walkmen.

By Spider on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 10:00 am:

Hey, if you go here and click on "sounds" at the bottom, you can download "The Toucher" and a couple of other songs right from the source.

By Spider on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 10:09 am:

Oops, that wasn't the song I was thinking of. Oh, well.

By sarah on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 11:14 am:

if you wanna get blown away again, don't forget about the classics:

Billy Squire, dude.

By dave. on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 11:39 am:

stroke!

i'll check it later, spider. i've also been trying to figger out what other band you're talking about. no idea.

By Spider on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 12:45 pm:

Thanks, Dave. Trailer Park Bride? I just can't remember.

By patrick on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 12:50 pm:

maybe i need to walk down to the record store today.

do some holiday shopping.

im so miserably out of touch. i dont even care to find new music. which is sad. i was always on top of it. now im a step behind.

i'm quite happy listening to my collection of thriftstore thrashed neil young and willie nelson albums.

By Spider on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 01:03 pm:

That's sort of how I feel, Patrick. When I was in college, had a disposable income, and read a lot of music magazines, I could easily buy 2-3 CDs a week. It was actually important to me to find new bands and to learn about new scenes and new genres. Now I've stagnated and listen mostly to old albums I've had for years.

My brother the musician does a good job at sending new bands he thinks I'd like my way. That's how I discovered the Notwist, to whom I'm listening right now.

By semillama on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 01:07 pm:

You know what? We're all turning into old people.

By kazu on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 01:08 pm:

yes me too spider.

By Spider on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 01:25 pm:

Sem, you have hit the nail on the head.

By sarah on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 01:38 pm:

i'm very much enjoying turning into an old person.

and i'll welcome every gray hair.

By patrick on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 01:59 pm:

hey sem, buddy.

thanks for putting to the words what some of us try very hard to ignore.

i think priorities change. music was always a keen marker of identity as a youth. less and less it makes you who you are, as you discover your tastes arent always unique, and that there's lots more out there than you ever realized. moreover the stuggle to flag yourself as unique becomes less and less important. comfort in ones self grows with age, i think.

By Spider on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 02:07 pm:

Another factor is that when you're young, you use music as a way of expressing your feelings, but when you're older, you're better at expressing yourself directly, without the need for a proxy.

By semillama on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 03:10 pm:

Another factor is that there is so much utter CRAP out there, it's hard to seek out the nuggets of corn, so to speak.

By Spider on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 03:17 pm:

Hee!

By sarah on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 03:49 pm:

gross out!

By sarah on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 03:51 pm:

You see em coming at you every night
    strung on pretension, they fall for you at first sight
    you know their buisness - you think it's a bore
    they make you restless - it's nothing you ain't seen before
    get around town, spend your time on the run
    you never let down... say you do it for fun
    never miss a play, though you make quite a few
    you give it all away when everybody wants you

You crave attention-you can never say "no"
    throw your attention anyway the wind blows
    you always make it-you're on top of the scene
    you sell the copy like the cover of a magazine
    puttin' on the eyes til there's nobody else
    you never realize what you do to yourself
    the things that they see make the daily reviews
    you never get it for free when everybody wants you

everybody knows you
    everybody snows you
    everybody needs you... leads you... bleeds you!

Nights of confusion and impossible dreams
    days at the mirror, patchin' up around the seams
    you got your glory - you paid for it all
    you take your pension in loneliness and alcohol
    say good-bye to conventional ways
    you can't escape the hours - you lose track of the days
    the more you understand, seems the more like you do
    you never get away... everybody wants you

By wisper on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 07:10 pm:

just getting old?
    i don't think it's like that.
    I think that if you're not one of those freaky "oh, i just don't like music" or "I like whatever is on the pop station!", then you actually have the capacity to become bored with something, and move on. And you can only move on so far.
    Especially with what's been kicking up lately.

I don't think the POP and POP only crowd is sitting there waiting for the next Spice Girls or Celine Dion to fill some void within.
    I don't think there is some message board out there in a creepy alternate dimesion where they're saying:
    ----------------------
    "Ok, my faith in the future of pop rock has just been restored.

i sort of realized I haven't gotten into anything really new that has really turned me on, like when I first heard N*SYNC or 3 Doors Down. But I recall reading about some artists that people were just raving about, so I went to AMazon and checked out some song samples, and I got blown away by some groups.

I'm talking about Hilary Duff and Mandy Moore, Vertical Horizon and Ryan Malcolm and Evanescence. It's all i can do to keep from rushing out and buying all their albums right now."
    ---------
    See?
    It's just not happening.

On that note, I gave up trying to keep on top of the new shit. It's too depressing. I'm digging now, to find the good of the past.
    I'm getting way into Elvis. WAY IN.
    And Frank Sinatra, and all that croony big band stuff.

Fuck going forward, i've got 60+ years of recorded music behind me!
    Their next album will never let you down, because they're dead.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 07:21 pm:

"Their next album will never let you down, because they're dead. "

2Pac. nuff said.

By Nate on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 08:21 pm:

tupac isn't dead.

By wisper on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 08:54 pm:

yes nate, he's alive in all our hearts.

i see him every day. On the face of every baby, on the petal of every flower.

By Nate on Thursday, December 4, 2003 - 11:17 pm:

my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.

and by milkshake i do mean

milkshake.

By Lapis on Friday, December 5, 2003 - 07:15 am:

If you write a song about milkshakes, Nate, I will form a lounge band and sing it.

By Spider on Friday, December 5, 2003 - 09:45 am:

If you do, please cover Stone Temple Pilot's "Sex-Type Thing" and invite me to your shows. I've always wanted to hear that sung by a woman in lounge-act style.

By kazu on Friday, December 5, 2003 - 10:26 am:

I have some of those cheesy *ultra lounge* compilations. They are good mix-tape filler (esp. Danke Schöen by Wayne Newton and Fever by Peggy Lee) and it's fun to put on lounge music when I drive with people. It confuses them. Especially the incredibly tacky covers of classic rock songs like Light My Fire by Zacharias and The Theme From Shaft by the Hollyridge String.

By Spider on Friday, December 5, 2003 - 10:29 am:

I think I might have a couple of those compilations, too....I have one called "Space Madness" or something, and another with a French theme ("Bachelor Pad in Paris"?), with a swinging cover of "La Vie en Rose."

By Spider on Friday, December 5, 2003 - 10:31 am:

I think I might have a couple of those compilations, too....I have one called "Space Madness" or something, and another with a French theme ("Bachelor Pad in Paris"?), with a swinging cover of "La Vie en Rose."

By Spider on Friday, December 5, 2003 - 10:36 am:

Now how did that happen?

Your life in pink
    It goes deeper than you think
    It goes deeper than I go
    Deeper than you know

An F for freak
    And D for dog
    Lost in the fog
    Your life in pink

You know it's never gonna stop
    You know it's never gonna end
    Your life in pink

Yeah, I'm like a disco ball
    Crashing down your head
    But somehow I don't fall

To your life you got to sink
    To your heart you got to drink
    Your life in pink

It's always high and not low
    It's always bright and not dull
    Your life in pink

Yeah, I'll never, never let you go
    It goes deeper, deeper than you know

By kazu on Friday, December 5, 2003 - 10:42 am:

Yes. I have Bachelor Pad Royale which is delightfully tacky but less so than some others. If I had cocktail parties I would play it after Count Basie when everyone is good and drunk but I don't so it doesn't matter.

By Lapis on Friday, December 5, 2003 - 03:57 pm:

The bar three blocks from my house (which just closed for good, saaaaad!) had Black Velvet Flag in the jukebox. And it was good.

I like the idea of lounge. It's not a concert or a show. It's an act.

I went to a bar last night for a fellow gravity girl's birthday. (Drinking Cape Codders. Hal, if you're lurking, I still haven't had one in a martini glass since you ordered me a Cosmo.) Didn't stay particularly long, but put some tunes in the jukebox. Blondie's "Rapture", Santana's "Black Magic Woman". I put in two more songs but can't remember what they were. The jukebox had a bunch of Radiohead in it.

I left early with a slight crush object to go see the Lifesavas. The opening acts weren't particularly endearing but the Lifesavas made the show. If anyone raps about resisting the government and their respect for women they're good in my book but the tunes were sweet in themselves.

My bike had a flat and I walked most of the way home but at one point I thought it would be a good idea to ride downhill on the sidewalk. It'd been pouring all day and I crashed because I couldn't see the ramp underneath the water.

By kazu on Friday, December 5, 2003 - 04:01 pm:

I liked the Martini Bar in Boston called, "The Good Life." The one near chinatown had leather walls.

By Rowlfe on Friday, December 5, 2003 - 06:20 pm:

I was thinking today I should start a punk band called Black Fag.

By Lapis on Friday, December 5, 2003 - 06:39 pm:

By Rowlfe on Friday, December 5, 2003 - 06:52 pm:

ruiner

By Antigone on Friday, December 5, 2003 - 07:21 pm:

I was thinking today I should start a punk band called The Police.

By moonit on Friday, December 5, 2003 - 09:30 pm:

I met a policeman last night who looked down my shirt because my boss told him I hid my stash in my puppies.

mmm I love bicardi.

I have a slight headache.

By Lapis on Saturday, December 6, 2003 - 04:56 pm:

I went to a party last night, kissed five people (four within the spin the bottle game, one with the friend who invited me who was too shy to play) and am now playing in two bands and am a scrabble apprentice.

Blah.

By Lapis on Saturday, December 6, 2003 - 05:02 pm:

One of the bands is going to be accordian, tuba and either flute or tenor saxaphone. I'm not sure yet.

By semillama on Tuesday, December 9, 2003 - 02:01 pm:

I just picked up Coheed and Cambria's "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth:3" which is really damn good. it takes alittle while to get into it becasue there is so much going on, but once you do, wow! it's good. It's very similar to Rush, although the lead singer is not as screechy as Geddy Lee. There are way more riffs per song than Rush though. So, yeah, it's prog metal. I LOVE that shit.

I recommend this one. I got it at Virgin on sale for $10.

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, December 9, 2003 - 06:34 pm:

I've heard good things, but the songs I've sampled just sound like a heavier Jimmy Eat World...

not that I have a problem with that, its just not what I was hoping for after I read the reviews..

By Spider on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 12:29 pm:

I caved and bought Christopher O'Riley's piano renditions of Radiohead songs. I don't like some of the decisions he made, but overall he's created some pretty good adaptations. Nice to listen to while doing dull office work.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 07:13 pm:

I...er...

changed my mind about the Korn CD

Now I think its their 2nd best one, behind "issues".

By wisper on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 07:36 pm:

lol

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 07:54 pm:

yeah, shut up, honeybuns

By kazu on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 - 08:34 pm:

honeybuns...that's so cute.

By Spider on Monday, February 2, 2004 - 09:41 pm:

I'm looking for that thread Patrick started maybe a year ago (?) in which we told each other what music we thought the others would like. Remember that? Where is it?

I want some music that's, like, a guy and his guitar and is in the Red House Painters or Will Oldham or Iron and Wine school of thought. You know, just a guy crooning mellow songs with a storyline over a simple guitar. Got some recommentations?

I also wanted to say I downloaded a couple movie clips of A Perfect Circle performing on Conan O'Brien and Letterman, and I'm slain by the perfect on-key-ness of Maynard's voice, but I was put off by the curious old man hunched posture he's got going there. Those who have seen Tool live (Skooter? TBone?), did he stand like that when you saw him? It was off-putting and sort of embarrassing. Eh, whatever.

I got 9 episodes of The Tick, too. DO YOU DIG?

By dave. on Monday, February 2, 2004 - 10:19 pm:

get sun kil moon. it's mark whatshisname from red house painters. you'd like.

live or cartoon?

By dave. on Monday, February 2, 2004 - 11:52 pm:

soulseek has it.

By Skooter on Tuesday, February 3, 2004 - 01:08 am:

Yes. At some points, like during "Sober", he was the huddled wretch. He'd also throw himself back and forth violently and spider walk from side to side. Freaky and amazing. He stood in the shadows in the back for some of the songs, emerging only in the shadows.
    I have always wondered if next he's just going to be singing off stage, with a puppet Maynard in his place. I wouldn't put it past him.

By Spider on Tuesday, February 3, 2004 - 10:09 am:

Thanks, Dave! I'll look for it.

I got 9 cartoon episodes, The Tick vs.:

Arthur
    Arthur's Bank Account
    Chairface Chippendale
    Proto Clown
    Science
    The Breadmaster
    The Tick
    The Uncommmon Cold

and Sidekicks Don't Kiss.

Skooter, I'd probably hide in the shadows or hide behind something if I had to sing in front of an audience, too, but I don't see Maynard having stage fright. Maybe that's just more of the "pretentious act that sets Dave's teeth on edge." :)

Have you heard of a band called Black Label Society?

By patrick on Tuesday, February 3, 2004 - 02:56 pm:

you want some thing in the blues vein?

couple of dudes on Fat Possum could fill that need. Guitar, old crooning storytelling.

By Skooter on Tuesday, February 3, 2004 - 06:16 pm:

Of course! Zak Wylde! The song "Stiilborn" with Ozzy was one of the songs I jammed the hardest to in my truck while heading to baseball games for work this past summer.
    Just rock, no bullshit. The way I like it, sometimes.
    I took the whole "Maynard hiding" thing as a way for him to be less of a front man and more of a part of the band. Not doing the whole David Lee Roth...whoooo! thing! Hey look at me in spandex! I'm the lead singer!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact