The Frames

sorabji.com: What song or tune is going through your head right now?: The Frames
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Thursday, July 1, 2004 - 01:22 pm:

I recently discovered this Irish band called the Frames, and I wanted to share them with you.

The Frames. You can hear all the tracks of most of their albums here, plus live material. (Some of the tracks seem to be non-album takes, though, from what I can hear.)

I prefer their more mellow music (they remind me of the For Carnation at times, or like the Dirty Three with vocals). The entire "For the Birds" album is in this vein -- I'm listening to the instrumental "In the Deep Shade" right now, and it's very reminiscent of the Dirty Three, which is a good thing.

Their earlier music is more straightforward guitar-driven, umm, music. (Indie?) Nothing ground-breaking, but pretty and intelligent and pleasant to listen to while you drive or clean your house. "Dance the Devil" is a solid album.

Anyway. Just wanted to share.

By V.v. on Thursday, July 1, 2004 - 01:32 pm:

...reminds me,i need to dig out an old album by "the chieftans"...they are still awesome,have you heard this stuff? its so Irish,makes you want to go out and punch someone.

By Spider on Thursday, July 1, 2004 - 01:41 pm:

Well, the Frames don't sound anything like the Chieftains, who play traditional Irish music. The Frames play rock music. (Or "rock" or whatever the hell you want to call it.)

By V.v. on Thursday, July 1, 2004 - 01:56 pm:

Spider,you know The Chieftens,?i have to admit,i dont think much of The Frames...and right now i mostly play Greek music,very old and traditional,but it gets me off to a good start at 6a.m.

By Dodi on Thursday, July 1, 2004 - 02:16 pm:

My favorite performer and singer is...Janet Jackson....don't laugh. :) I just want to look like her...wishful thinking....

I also like Madonna, cause she doesn't care what people think and I like that!

By V.v. on Thursday, July 1, 2004 - 03:39 pm:

I wonder what Janet thinks of her brother?IS he into kids? myself i dont know,but he sure knows how to make money...Madonna,a born surviver,much like you. :) :) :)

By V.v. on Thursday, July 1, 2004 - 03:48 pm:

v.v.s best performer of all time? must be Jimi Hendrix,i pushed myself to within 6 foot of the stage and he SMILED at me,or perhaps he noticed the amazingly long cig i was smoking...

By Dodi on Thursday, July 1, 2004 - 04:02 pm:

That's so weird that you say that, cause my nickname is Purple...from his very famous tune.

By V.v. on Thursday, July 1, 2004 - 05:02 pm:

Strange,the "in" colour for mens ties in London right now is Purple,i wear one myself.

By Dodi on Thursday, July 1, 2004 - 08:51 pm:

You might think this is strange, but I wear mens suits and I love it! I buy them, have them tailored to fit me, and I wear mens wing tip shoes. I will wear linen shirts underneath or just a plain T-shirt with suspenders...so cool. I like being different, but that's the artist in me....I guess. I don't wear ties though, so the purple tie, is out of the question.

By agatha on Thursday, July 1, 2004 - 10:56 pm:

Spider-hi.

I haven't heard the Frames, I'm just giving you feedback.

By Spider on Thursday, July 1, 2004 - 11:36 pm:

Thanks, girl. My eyes were kind of spinning in their sockets there.

By agatha on Friday, July 2, 2004 - 02:11 am:

I'll listen to them soon just for you, and report back.

By V.v. on Friday, July 2, 2004 - 12:28 pm:

dodi,even more cool than i thought!!!

By V.v. on Friday, July 2, 2004 - 01:05 pm:

...more stuff,when i first left school,i wanted to be a fashion designer,like my Brother,he was makeing millions for the high street chain stores with his new creations,but after 5 years,i found you sweat blood all day,yet all you get from your Jewish boss is,"Hmmm,not bad,but perhaps tomorrow you you can do even more"...so i left,and got into building,then property development,...i still take an interest in fashion,and right now "the Greek look"is in,long dresses,lots of folds,plenty clevage,and mostly in white,perhaps due that movie you have in America.

By Dodi on Friday, July 2, 2004 - 01:11 pm:

I wish I would of gotten into fashion, but I chose painting walls instead. I like anything that has to do with art, and clothing to me..is art. I like to express myself that way, and it's fun to see people turn their heads...love it! I don't dress weird or anything, but I do dress unique...that's me...unique.. :)

By Spider on Friday, July 2, 2004 - 01:53 pm:

Why don't you guys start your own thread about your interests, and leave this thread for talk about the Frames and other music? Please?

I'm listening to the Twilight Singers' new Blackberry Belle, which is like a cool drink of water on a summer evening. This will take you right back to the feeling of the Afghan Whigs' Black Love. It's dark and sultry, like all Greg Dulli's creations, but the songs are melodic and musically rich, not ragged and marred by shrill guitar noise, like his earlier work. And they're meaty and substantive and rewarding, unlike 1965.

Sem, if you haven't heard this one yet, I recommend it. (I remember you saying you're a fan of Gentlemen.)

I'll let Greg Dulli speak for himself (in a recent interview):
    When you open your record with a song about a guy killing himself, there's only one way to go, and that's up......
    Oh, and then he says:
    I've got to say, in all modesty, I think pretty highly of myself. I think I'm riding a lifetime peak. If I make it to 90, I'll be pimpin'.

DS: I would think that if you didn't think that it would be hard to keep going.

GD: What the fuck are you going to do it for? People say "ego out of control" blah, blah, blah. Art is ego. Art is, "I think this is good therefore I'm going to present it to you." That is ego....If I don't walk out on stage thinking I'm the baddest motherfucker of all time, then I'm a charlatan. And whether you think I am, or he thinks I am, or she thinks I am, fuck you all, man. I don't give a fuck what you think. You're in or you're out and I'm playing to the in.
    *sigh* I've missed him.

By patrick on Friday, July 2, 2004 - 02:04 pm:

any kids heard Secret Machines? theres a bit of a buzz.

i kinda dig em.

By Spider on Friday, July 2, 2004 - 02:11 pm:

No...what do they sound like?

By patrick on Friday, July 2, 2004 - 02:21 pm:

all the buzz is citing Pink Floyd, which is great because, you know, of all the hip shit...strokes, white stripes, yeah yeah yeahs, none are compared to pink floyd.

Pink Floyd and ive seem a couple references to Can. I even hear a little TRex at times.

go to their website...you can hear their songs there.

By patrick on Friday, July 2, 2004 - 02:25 pm:

they have a rich sound for a three piece.

By Spider on Friday, July 2, 2004 - 02:31 pm:

Their site design is pissing me off -- how do you scroll to the left or right? The "About Secret Machines" menu goes by too quick.

Anyway, on first listen, I like their sound. They don't sound like Pink Floyd to me, but I didn't listen to all their songs. The singer sounds like Craig Wedren + Lou Barlow. Who is he?

By patrick on Friday, July 2, 2004 - 02:36 pm:

i dunno. ive done nothing with the site other than hear their tunes. but then again, i read a long piece about them in last weeks LA Times.

Pharoah's Daughter is about as Pink Floyd as one can get me thinks.

By Spider on Friday, July 2, 2004 - 02:39 pm:

I liked that one.

I like their name, too.

By patrick on Friday, July 2, 2004 - 02:47 pm:

yes. thier name gave me hope that all is not lost in the innovative music group name dept.

By dave. on Friday, July 2, 2004 - 02:47 pm:

spider, have you heard the gutter twins yet? i've never been able to find any songs whenever i'been reminded to look.

http://guttertwins.com/home/

By dave. on Friday, July 2, 2004 - 02:55 pm:

i'been

wtf?

By Spider on Friday, July 2, 2004 - 05:36 pm:

DUDE. I saw you mention them in another thread, but I couldn't find their music on Soulseek so I gave up. But I didn't know they were Mark Lanegan and Greg Dulli. That kicks ass. Now I'll have to look harder.

PS. I was bored and just watched "Office Space" for the first time. Too bad it's become a depository of geek in-jokes, because it was funny. Fucking. A. Sorry, I'll stop.

By dave. on Friday, July 2, 2004 - 05:48 pm:

office space was a frickin awesome movie. so many great moments. i especially love the slo-mo copier beatdown. and the damn-it-feels-good-to-be-a-gangster scene. my only complaint is jennifer aniston. couldn't they have found anyone else?

yeah, i'm gonna look for it again tonight.

By Spider on Friday, July 2, 2004 - 06:29 pm:

Word. The soundtrack was Perfect. And...and...yeah, so many great moments.

When I was at my last job, sometimes I would eat lunch out on the balcony and look out at the construction work being done on the bank across the street. A number of times, a coworker would come out there and ask me if I was checking out the construction workers, but no, I was actually envying them, wishing I could be up there on that roof, spreading tar with them and laying tile. Imagine doing work where you could track your progress, actually create something with practical value, and not have to deal with too much petty shit. Amazing.

So, I thought it was cool that Peter got to work construction, and was happy.

I think I'll watch it again.

By agatha on Friday, July 2, 2004 - 10:46 pm:

I loved that movie. I even loved Jennifer Aniston. And the stapler guy.

By Spider on Saturday, July 3, 2004 - 12:05 am:

Me too! Jennifer Aniston didn't bug, and I loved Mike Judge as her boss.

I think, between this and Band of Brothers, I have a new crush on Ron Livingston. He's just so...cuddly.

(EW. I went on a web search to pull up pictures of the real Lewis Nixon, whom Ron L. plays in Band of Brothers and whom he looks just like, and I found links to fanfic about the real Lewis Nixon and the real Richard Winters...like, slash fanfic.....these are real people, for God's sake! Nixon died about 10 years ago, and Winters is in his 80s and lives in central PA. That's just WRONG.)

(Plus, WTF is up with slash fanfic? What is wrong with girls that they sit around and fantasize about straight men giving each other blowjobs? Is this really so arousing? I don't get it.)

Anyway, yeah, Office Space. Good movie. This line?
    So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.
    That was me at my last job. But isn't it really all of us at all our jobs? Weren't we all nodding our heads in unison at that part?

By dave. on Saturday, July 3, 2004 - 01:40 am:

i was.

i watched it again tonight. i was confusing soundtrack to scene. i remembered the gangster song with the scene where they upload the virus but they were different songs/scenes. still, the gridlock scene was priceless and lawrence . . . he used to live down the road. he would always chirp the tires at the 4-way stop with van halen cranked in his shiny black camaro.

By dave. on Saturday, July 3, 2004 - 01:45 am:

By patrick on Saturday, July 3, 2004 - 02:43 am:

funny.

i was talking to a long time friend who is in the midst of corporate hell downsizing and i brought up Office Space. Im pretty sure I even started a thread on the flic somewhere here.

its a fucking great movie. it resonates so.

what the fuck is PC Load Letter?

By agatha on Saturday, July 3, 2004 - 03:51 pm:

I actually like my job most of the time, but I'm a bit of a suckup and the bosses respond positively to that. My job is not boring.

By wisper on Saturday, July 3, 2004 - 08:44 pm:

see .... PC load letter simply means it's out of paper.
    "letter" refers to letter-sized paper (8.5x11)

I scream at the tv every time i watch that movie. "Read the goddamn manual, Bolton!!!"

A stain on an otherwise flawless movie.

By wisper on Saturday, July 3, 2004 - 08:55 pm:

Spider: every day that i drove home from my office job, i passed a Harvey's (fast food), envying the kids who put the relish and mustard on the burgers. Real physical payoffs for their work, actually SEEING what they do, maybe even helping the hungry people just a little bit.... not worrying about 'office casual' wear, not getting memos.
    It seemed like heaven at the time.

By dave. on Saturday, July 3, 2004 - 09:12 pm:

pc means paper cassette. that hits extra close to home because, among other things, i repair printers.

By Spider on Saturday, July 3, 2004 - 11:16 pm:

Seriously, are there ANY good jobs out there? That are accessable to normal people and, of course, me? The more I think about it, the more I despair.

By dave. on Saturday, July 3, 2004 - 11:33 pm:

yes. i'm convinced that being a scientist would be a good job. a degree in whateverology. i'm going to go back to school once agatha is finished. i wanna go drop some science.

By Antigone on Saturday, July 3, 2004 - 11:53 pm:

I love my job, so much that I've worked for the last three months for no pay. (The company's on the verge of bankrupcy.) I'm part owner of the business, though, so maybe it doesn't count.

I love it because it's a small company, I have near complete control of the work I'm doing, and if the business succeeds I'll not only get to do some work in innovative artificial intelligence, I'll be filthy rich.

The flip side is, if the company folds, I'll be in a mountain of debt. Easy come, easy go.

By wisper on Monday, July 5, 2004 - 03:16 am:

"Seriously, are there ANY good jobs out there?"

I always thought that being a dominatrix would be the best job. How else can you make that much money without even getting naked?
    $400 an hour, thank you very much.

By J on Monday, July 5, 2004 - 04:07 am:

I hear you hon,"wash my floor","lick my boots","pick it up you piece of shit"."I'd slap your face but shit splatters".Incentive.

By dave. on Monday, July 5, 2004 - 06:03 am:

that would take a mean streak bigger than mine.

By Spider on Monday, July 5, 2004 - 09:37 am:

I wouldn't have the heart to do that. I'd probably ask, "Gosh, are you all right?" after every blow.

"Oh, I'm sorry! Did I hurt you too much there?"

"N-no, ma'am. Harder, please."

"I don't know...your cheek is getting awfully red. This really can't feel too good. Wouldn't you like a hug instead?"

Yeah, dominatrix is out for me.

By Gee on Monday, July 5, 2004 - 11:28 am:

"(Plus, WTF is up with slash fanfic? What is wrong with girls that they sit around and fantasize about straight men giving each other blowjobs? Is this really so arousing? I don't get it.)"

mmm, man love. bum sex. boy on boy!

I love seeing two guys together.

By wisper on Monday, July 5, 2004 - 04:45 pm:

"I wouldn't have the heart to do that. I'd probably ask, "Gosh, are you all right?" after every blow."

I imagine it's all about acting. And customer service.

crazy pagen ex's best friend was a domme. She had one client paying for her credit cards, and another paying her phone bill.
    All she had to do was beat the crap out of them once a week.
    Best job ever!

By Spider on Monday, July 5, 2004 - 06:08 pm:

Yeah, but even to put on a hard-assed bitch persona, you have to have a wellspring to draw it from, you know? Right? And if you don't, if you're faking it 100%, wouldn't you get exhausted pretty quickly? Just thinking about it makes me feel tired.

Maybe this is a sign that I don't have a dom side.

But if you do, rock on.

By dave. on Monday, July 5, 2004 - 06:23 pm:

patrick, before i bother trying to find a place that will develop a roll of b/w veri-chrome pan 126 film, do places do this format anymore? and will it cost me a fortune?

By dave. on Monday, July 5, 2004 - 06:26 pm:

By heather on Monday, July 5, 2004 - 07:04 pm:

i have a couple friends who are dommes [dom? whatever]

they are sweet and hilarious and have the *best* stories

there doesn't really seem to be that much hitting involved

it's often silly thing that you would never expect to turn someone on

By patrick on Tuesday, July 6, 2004 - 01:55 pm:

shit dave. i have no idea what that film is. just go to professional lab and ask.

By dave. on Tuesday, July 6, 2004 - 02:10 pm:

it goes in this camera. i know they stopped making the film about 5 years ago.

so you're saying i should go and talk to a stranger?

brrr.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 6, 2004 - 03:00 pm:

yeah.

i just dont know. im sure you can get it processed, its just your going to have to do some calling around.

By wisper on Tuesday, July 6, 2004 - 05:25 pm:

Housemate found a perfectly good Super 8 camera in the junk pile last night.

It's junk weekend. Everyone piles the stuff they don't want anymore out on their curbs, and the scavenging begins.
    Last year we got a fold-out couch.

He also got 5 tvs, which are in various states of repair around the dining room.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, July 7, 2004 - 05:15 pm:

Good band I found out about recently:

Sons & Daughters

check it

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact